Seahawks21

Applying for itin for taxes

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey guys, not sure if this question really fits into the site here, but you guys have been so helpful in the past, this is the first place I could think of to start. Anyways, I'm trying to get my taxes filed. Got married in October, wife isn't quite here yet. (soon we hope!). She doesn't have a SS#. We are in the process of applying for her Tax ID number. Ultimately, am I going to be able to claim her? I have heard both ways on this. If she should, is there any way to try to apply for a SS% while she is in the Philippines still? TIA guys, any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can claim her as a dependent, but you need to PAPER file your taxes with a signed copy of the W-7 by your wife. It seems to be a real PITA. I did get a copy of my wife's passport and some sort of letter from the DFA in manila, but from what I have heard, it may not be right. I have posted questions on this before too.

So where are you in the process? How soon until your wife gets her visa and are you really getting a K-3 (dont think you can get a SSN on that because she wont have work authorization..but I'm not positive)

I am thinking I will just file for an extension on my taxes as it is looking like my wife will be able to be with me by the end of May and she will get her SSN soon after that.

I have read where people just put applied for in the SSN block and send in their taxes and all is good. I would file now myself, but I am waiting on a 1099-C that never got sent to me in the first place (or lost in the mail).

Please fill in your official timeline as that is what others on here use to estimate wait times.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

You can claim her as a dependent, but you need to PAPER file your taxes with a signed copy of the W-7 by your wife. It seems to be a real PITA. I did get a copy of my wife's passport and some sort of letter from the DFA in manila, but from what I have heard, it may not be right. I have posted questions on this before too.

So where are you in the process? How soon until your wife gets her visa and are you really getting a K-3 (dont think you can get a SSN on that because she wont have work authorization..but I'm not positive)

I am thinking I will just file for an extension on my taxes as it is looking like my wife will be able to be with me by the end of May and she will get her SSN soon after that.

I have read where people just put applied for in the SSN block and send in their taxes and all is good. I would file now myself, but I am waiting on a 1099-C that never got sent to me in the first place (or lost in the mail).

Please fill in your official timeline as that is what others on here use to estimate wait times.

IRS processes returns showing SSNs or ITINs in the blanks where tax forms request SSNs. IRS no longer accepts, and will not process, forms showing "SSA205c," "applied for," "NRA," blanks, etc.

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

is that new this year because there has been discussion of it and people have been doing this for the past few years. Just asking since I have been told that is what they put there....of course if you do send the W-7 with it, you do put ITIN applied for or applied for in the SSN blocks.

For our Full timeline

event.png

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

REVISED APPLICATION STANDARDS FOR ITINS

What are the revised application standards for ITINs?[/url]

Effective immediately, each ITIN applicant must now:

Why is IRS revising the ITIN application process?

The revisions to the ITIN application process will help ensure ITINs are used for their intended tax administration purposes.

What documents are acceptable as proof of identity and foreign status?

IRS has streamlined the number of documents the agency will accept as proof of identity to obtain an ITIN. There are now 13 acceptable documents.

An original, or a certified or notarized copy, of an UNEXPIRED passport is the only document that is accepted for both identity and foreign status. If you do not have a passport, you must provide a combination of current documents that contain expiration dates - we accept documents issued within 12 months of the application if no expiration date is normally available. The documents must also show your name and photograph, and support your claim of foreign status.

IRS will accept certified or notarized copies of a combination (two or more) of the following documents, in lieu of a passport:

HELP AND INFORMATION

How do I apply for an ITIN?

Use the latest revision of Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to apply. Attach a valid federal income tax return, unless you qualify for an exception, and include your original, notarized, or certified proof of identity documents.

Because you are filing your tax return as an attachment to your ITIN application, you should not mail your return to the address listed in the Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ instructions. Instead, send your return, Form W-7 and proof of identity documents to:

Internal Revenue Service

Austin Service Center

ITIN Operation

P.O. Box 149342

Austin, TX 78714-9342

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for the info guys. She's getting her passport notarized at the US Embassy, so that part is good.

The only question that keeps coming up is the issue with the social security number. Do we have to prove that she can't get a social security number? I have a friend that worked in tax law, and she mentioned that my wife needs to go and try to apply for a social security number. When she is denied this number, she has to send her letter of denial along with the tax return. Has anybody heard anything about this?

you can just apply for the ITIN with your taxes. She is not in the US on a visa yet, so she cannot get a SSN. Just check the right box for the ITIN and send all supporting documents with her signature on the w-7

For our Full timeline

event.png

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

you can just apply for the ITIN with your taxes. She is not in the US on a visa yet, so she cannot get a SSN. Just check the right box for the ITIN and send all supporting documents with her signature on the w-7

My situation is slightly different, but I can confirm this. I do not have a SSN and we were able to file with ITIN. We went to a tax professional at H&R Block. She did not ask for proof that I couldn't get a SSN, only picture I.D. and a secondary (I showed passport and birth certificate).

Word of advice. If you chose to do this, make sure you speak with someone who has experience with ITIN as well as immigration. If not, you find yourself in a situation where your tax "professional" is asking YOU how she should answer a question on the tax paper... and your answer is proven right by her boss, over her guess. :bonk:

Edited by Kittyfang

Adjustment of Status

11/03/10 ------- AoS (I-130/I-485) Package mailed out (Priority Mail)

11/07/10 ------- AoS Package received and singed for

11/10/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (emails)

11/12/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (hard copies)

11/12/10 ------- Touches on I-130, I-485 and I-765

11/19/10 ------- Biometrics appointment letter received

12/06/10 ------- RFE for I-693 (I think the issue is that it was not signed. Called USCIS and will receive a letter in a few days explaining)

12/13/10 ------- Biometrics done

12/16/10 ------- EAD card in production (email)

12/20/10 ------- Received "Letter of Explanation" for RFE (Service Request to expedite my case. Called USCIS and was told to ignore that and just send in response to RFE.)

12/22/10 ------- Touch (Email for Post Decision Activity on EAD saying that a letter of approval has been mailed out)

12/24/10 ------- Received EAD in the mail

12/27/10 ------- Applied for SSN

12/31/10 ------- Received Interview letter

01/03/11 ------- Received SSN card in the mail

01/07/11 ------- Mailed out response to RFE (I-693)

01/15/11 ------- Email confirming USCIS received RFE response

01/31/11 ------- Approved!

Pre-Adjustment of Status:

2006 -------- Met Online

02/07 ------- Visited him in the U.S. for what was suppose to be a few weeks (Came in with birth certificate and health card. Health card expired a few months after)

08/07 ------- Decided to get married because we didn't want to be apart (in the U.S.)

10/10 ------- USCIS Medical Done

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.