HandA

What is a "certified copy" of divorce decree?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello Vjers,

I read some conflicting notes about what the counsular needs regarding a divorce decree. I am a USC petitioner and my finace CO is Egypt. I have been divorced for 7 years and all I have a copy of the divorce decree. VSC just sent us our NOA2 but I heard the CO in Egypt requests for a "certified copy of divorce decree." What do I have to send my fiancee for her interview? And what do they mean by "certified copy"?

You assitance is very much apprecaited.

HandA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

A certified copy is a copy of a document that has been certified as a true and correct copy of the original. In some cases you have to go to the original issuing agency to get one and others you're allows to have a notary sign of on it.

Here is a definition and also list that shows which states permit notarys to certify it as true and correct copy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certified_copy

** moving from "K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Case Filing and Progress Reports" to "K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures" as the prior forum is for case updates/progress and this one is for questions**

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline
I read some conflicting notes about what the counsular needs regarding a divorce decree. I am a USC petitioner and my finace CO is Egypt. I have been divorced for 7 years and all I have a copy of the divorce decree. VSC just sent us our NOA2 but I heard the CO in Egypt requests for a "certified copy of divorce decree." What do I have to send my fiancee for her interview? And what do they mean by "certified copy"?

I had to do this as well. Some "copies" of your divorce decree might not have the Official seal of the county plus something that represents the judges signature.

I went in person to the court house for the county I was divorced in. They have the records. The man looked up my records, printed out 4 copies, then he stamped them with a large purple seal of the County, then he signed it as a court officer.

You need to do this. It cannot be an unsigned or unsealed copy of the divorce decree. I got 4 copies of the certified so I could have extras.

Good luck

Naturalization N-400

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It's an official stamped version from your state and court that held the divorce. I had to get one too as I only had a copy of the court divorce decree. You can get a certified divorce certificate from this site if your state/county participates.

http://www.vitalrec.com/

But warning.....I paid $49 for mine but, you can likely get cheaper by just going directly to county clerk office.

Edited by duplantisjj

~Johnny~

Unless you have one laying around, you'll need to go to your Clerk's office (or whichever issuing agency in the state you got divorced in) and get one - The clerk will stamp it as certified. That is what you'll need.

In my case, I stuck one of those sticky-arrows on, pointing at the line(s) where the divorce is final so they wouldn't have any trouble finding it in all the legal mumbo jumbo.

Take this for what it is worth - this has been discussed numerous times.

A Certified Copy of a Divorce Decree is only obtainable from the Courthouse where the original resides.

The Certified Copy will not have a "stamp". Stamps in most places are not acceptable when a Certified Copy is requested. (may be obtainable from some states through a service but you'll likely pay dearly for it and it still comes from the original holder).

Most times when a Certified Copy is requested they are looking for the copy with the "Official Seal".

So what is the difference?

When you request a Certified Copy - it will be exactly that - a photocopy of the original that is on file there.

However, they will affix a sticker to the document (otherwise known as the seal). But wait, its still not an official Certified Copy yet.

After the "Seal" is affixed, the Clerk of Records will then take a device that looks like a big pair of flat sided plyers and put it over the "seal" and squeeze. This will leave the "Official Imprint" of the governing body on the seal. You can usually tell the difference because on this you can feel the impression on the paper.

A copy with just a stamp is just a copy. Without the "seal" with the imbedded impression on it it is just and always will be a copy (Not a Certified Copy).

I've been down this road, I went to the courthouse, and I requested and got the Certified Copy.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, just trying to explain it in detail with clarity. Its better to go through the trouble to get the "real deal" than to send a "copy" and get an RFE.

Even though some claim that you can get a copy notarized and have it be considered a Certified Copy, I wouldnt go that route. You can get documents notarized almost anywhere, but you can only get a True Certified Copy of a Divorce Decree in one place.

Good Luck and Best Wishes along your journey!!! Hang in there!

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

The certified copy of my divorce decree came from the courthouse where the divorce was finalized. It has a raised seal (like they do on birth certificates and marriage licenses) for the county we divorced in, and has an extra page attached at the end stating that the previous 30+ pages are a true and accurate copy of the county's records.

Check at the secretary of state for your state's website. They'll have guidelines about what can and cannot be notarized and what does and does not constitute a certified copy for that state.

USCIS : 104 Days

10-30-2009 : I-130 and Documents Sent

11-06-2009 : NOA1

02-18-2010 : NOA2

NVC : 66 Days

02-24-2010 : Case Number Assigned

02-25-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator

02-26-2010 : DS-3032 Sent by E-Mail

03-02-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill

03-02-2010 : DS-3032 Accepted

03-02-2010 : Pay AOS and IV Bill Online

03-04-2010 : AOS Shows PAID

03-08-2010 : IV Bill Shows PAID

03-09-2010 : AOS and Documents Sent

03-09-2010 : Receive IV Bill

03-19-2010 : DS-230 and Documents Sent

03-24-2010 : False RFE for DS-230; Confirmed AOS Reviewed and No Missing Information Found

04-02-2010 : Sign-In Failed. Thank you, Lord!

04-05-2010 : Case Completed at NVC

04-15-2010 : Majorly Unhappy with NVC

04-30-2010 : Interview Date Assigned

Embassy :

05-06-2010 : Medical Exam

06-08-2010 : Interview Date -- Approved! Experience and Review

06-18-2010 : Visa Received

Timeline
The certified copy of my divorce decree came from the courthouse where the divorce was finalized. It has a raised seal (like they do on birth certificates and marriage licenses) for the county we divorced in, and has an extra page attached at the end stating that the previous 30+ pages are a true and accurate copy of the county's records.

Check at the secretary of state for your state's website. They'll have guidelines about what can and cannot be notarized and what does and does not constitute a certified copy for that state.

I never got the "divorce certifciate" when I was divorced. Just a court signed copy of the decree. I ordered the official divorce certificate, which looks really nice as you described.. It's embossed and has seals and looks like something you want to frame and put on the wall...like uhhh diploma or something.... :whistle:

Edited by duplantisjj

~Johnny~

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Heck, yeah! Slap that puppy on the wall. And thank your ex while you're at it. If you were still legally bound to them, then you wouldn't be able to be with your current love.

But no. My state doesn't have certificates. It has 30+ pages of Petitioner this and Respondant that with an embossed seal in the bottom right corner of each page. I wish it had certificates because I had the pleasure of translating the whole decree before the district office in Thailand would register my marriage.

USCIS : 104 Days

10-30-2009 : I-130 and Documents Sent

11-06-2009 : NOA1

02-18-2010 : NOA2

NVC : 66 Days

02-24-2010 : Case Number Assigned

02-25-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator

02-26-2010 : DS-3032 Sent by E-Mail

03-02-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill

03-02-2010 : DS-3032 Accepted

03-02-2010 : Pay AOS and IV Bill Online

03-04-2010 : AOS Shows PAID

03-08-2010 : IV Bill Shows PAID

03-09-2010 : AOS and Documents Sent

03-09-2010 : Receive IV Bill

03-19-2010 : DS-230 and Documents Sent

03-24-2010 : False RFE for DS-230; Confirmed AOS Reviewed and No Missing Information Found

04-02-2010 : Sign-In Failed. Thank you, Lord!

04-05-2010 : Case Completed at NVC

04-15-2010 : Majorly Unhappy with NVC

04-30-2010 : Interview Date Assigned

Embassy :

05-06-2010 : Medical Exam

06-08-2010 : Interview Date -- Approved! Experience and Review

06-18-2010 : Visa Received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Even though some claim that you can get a copy notarized and have it be considered a Certified Copy, I wouldnt go that route. You can get documents notarized almost anywhere, but you can only get a True Certified Copy of a Divorce Decree in one place.

This doesn't make sense. I highly doubt you could get it notarized as the notarization is an authorized person (notary public) witnessing the signature put on the document. There is usually not a signature being put on, although in my case the court officer did sign it, there wasn't anyone around to witness the signature therefore it cannot be notarized.

You can take it out of the courthouse to get it notarized, but then the notary public will not notarize it as they did not witness the signature.

Reading this site I have come to realize notaries and notarization has to be one of the most misunderstood concepts in the USA.

Naturalization N-400

Timeline
This doesn't make sense. I highly doubt you could get it notarized as the notarization is an authorized person (notary public) witnessing the signature put on the document. There is usually not a signature being put on, although in my case the court officer did sign it, there wasn't anyone around to witness the signature therefore it cannot be notarized.

You can take it out of the courthouse to get it notarized, but then the notary public will not notarize it as they did not witness the signature.

Reading this site I have come to realize notaries and notarization has to be one of the most misunderstood concepts in the USA.

Yeah, I see it misused a few time here on VJ. A notary is only an official witness that the person who signs a document IS the person that signed the document AT the time of signing. Doesn't do any good for example in the case of a 10 yr old divorce document. It must be Certified, in this case, Certified means that the state or county has certifed the document to be true and legal, and usually has a state seal or stamp.

~Johnny~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Yeah, I see it misused a few time here on VJ. A notary is only an official witness that the person who signs a document IS the person that signed the document AT the time of signing. Doesn't do any good for example in the case of a 10 yr old divorce document. It must be Certified, in this case, Certified means that the state or county has certifed the document to be true and legal, and usually has a state seal or stamp.

Here in Palm Beach County Florida a certified copy has no raised seal. It only has the stamp of the clerk of courts and a signature of the clerk. It looks very " unofficial " but thta's all you will get here!

K-1 / K-2 Timeline:
02/02/2010 - Sent I-129F
02/04/2010 - NOA1
05/06/2010 - NOA2
07/13/2010 - Consulate Interview - APPROVED
07/17/2010 - POE (JFK)

07/30/2010 - MARRIED!

AOS-EAD Timeline:
08/29/2010 - AOS-EAD sent
09/08/2010 - NOA1
09/17/2010 - Biometrics
11/06/2010 - EAD card received
11/08/2010 - AOS interview - GC's APPROVED
11/19/2010 - Green Cards Arrived

After two amazing years together....

ROC Timeline:
08/10/2012 - ROC sent
08/14/2012 - NOA1
08/27/2012 - Biometrics

05/01/2013 - ROC - APPROVED

05/06/2013 - Green Cards Arrived

Citizenship:

08/31/2013 - N-400 sent

09/04/2013 - NOA1

09/27/2013 - Biometrics

10/08/2013 - In-Line

11/13/2013 - Interview

12/13/2013 - Oath -- Now a U.S. citizen!

A copy with just a stamp is just a copy. Without the "seal" with the imbedded impression on it it is just and always will be a copy (Not a Certified Copy).

Not all Clerk's use the old-fashioned embossing device.

USCIS understands this.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Macedonia
Timeline
Not all Clerk's use the old-fashioned embossing device.

USCIS understands this.

NVC just sent my case to the Consulate (Skopje Macedonia) and i was reading this post, i decided to to check my divorce decree. (Texas does not give divorce certificates).

My final decree has a stamp and a signature from the judge and court house. My only concern is my signature, my ex-wife's signature and my attorney's signature are not the original signatures. I was overseas when my divorce took place and my attorney emailed me and my ex-wife all the documents, we signed them and emailed back to her (attorney)so when she finally put the final decree together all she had was copies of the documents with signatures. The judge's signature and the courthouse stamp/seal are original. Please advice me if you think this is going to be OK or not. By the way, I'm still overseas and it's going to be very difficult to obtain another copy of the decree with all original signatues.

Service Center: VSC
Consulate: Skopje, Macedonia
28 Oct 2009-Sent 129F
02 Nov 2009-NOA1
24 Feb 2010-Touched
25 Feb 2010-NOA2
26 Feb 2010-Touched
01 March 2010-Arrived at NVC
10 March 2010-Left NVC
12 March 2010-Arrived at US Embassy
22 April 2010-Interview..APPROVED
27 April 2010-Visa on hand
09 Aug 2010 -Arrived in the USA
Wedding Date.25 Aug 2010 (Best day of my life

AOS PROCESS BEGINS
03-Sep-2010--AOS package sent-(Day 1)
10-Sep-2010--NOA1(I-485/AP/EAD)Hard Copies Arrived-(Day 7)
07-Oct-2010--I-485 Transferred to CSC Email-(Day 34)
08-Oct-2010--I-485 Touched (I hope the BIO appointment letter is on its way)-(Day 35)
14-Oct-2010--I-485 Touched (email says "I-485 was transferred and is now being processed at a USCIS office -(Day 41)
03-Nov-2010--I-131 (AP) approved-(Day 60)
03-Nov-2010--EAD Touched-(Day 60)
09-Dec-2010--Bio letter arrived-(Day 98)
27-Dec-2010--Bio done
03-Jan-2011--EDA arrived
03-Feb-2011-GC production was ordered

ROC
01-Nov-12-----I-751 sent to VSC
05-Nov-12-----packet received
08-Nov-12-----check cashed
10-Nov-12-----NOA received
18-Nov-12-----Bio letter received
11-Dec-12-----Bio Done

01-May-13----GC was ordered

08-May-13--10 year GC received...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.