calworthington

Can wife stay while 485 and 130 are pending, even if student visa is expired?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello all and thanks in advance for any help, advice or information you can provide....

Here is some background. My fiance tried out Art school and it wasn't anything like what she expected it to be so she plans to quit school at the end of Feb. The school told her that her student Visa will expire 15 days from the time she quits school so I'm guessing around March 15. We have plans to marry on Feb 26 and then send forms 485 and 130 once I receive the marriage license which with expedited shipping will be around 10 working days from what the county clerk told me. We contacted an immigration officer and she told us to make sure we are married before she is out of status, but make sure to leave for Canada before her student visa expires, then return to the united states and just tell the person at POE that she plans to stay with her husband while her paperwork is processing. The immigration officer told me that there shouldn't be a problem as long as there is no overstaying on an expired visa...

My questions are:

Is there any way that my wife can she stay while the 485 and 130 are pending?

If we get married feb 26, her student visa expires around march 15, but the marriage certificate doesn't come until after march 15 and we can't send the forms until after her student visa expires, can she still file her status as tourist or will she be classified as overstaying?

Should she return to Canada where she has a newly issued permanent resident card, then return here after a month or two on her tourist visa so that there is no danger of overstaying? Is there any danger of Canada not allowing her to enter the U.S?

Please advise...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

If she leaves the US she'll have to apply for CR-1 or K-3 from outside the country. As far as I'm aware, once you decide to apply for AOS while she's IN the United States, she can't leave during that entire process. So basically, it sounds like either you have to apply and she waits it out in the US (out of status??) or she goes to Canada and you file for CR-1. I'm relatively sure she can't file for CR-1 and then just come back to the US to wait for approval, she has to stay in Canada in order to complete the process there. Others on VJ will know more about that than I do, however.

4OvIp1.png

kCtMp1.png

Sept. 6th - Arrived for 3 months to stay with my boyfriend

Nov. 21st - Got married!

February 12th - Mailed paperwork

February 25th - Checks cashed

February 26th - NOAs received

March 4th - Touched! AP, I-130, I-765

March 11th - Received Biometrics appt for 24/03/10

March 12th - Walk in Biometrics completed!

March 15th - Touched. I-765, I-485

March 24th Original Biometrics appt date

March 26th - Received Interview Date for April 27th

April 23rd - Touched!

April 26th - AP approved, EAD approved, card production ordered

April 27th - Interview - APPROVED!

May 3rd - EAD received in mail

May 6th - Approval notices for I-130 and I-485 received

May 11th - Card production ordered

June 1st - GC finally received!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

from what I've read -

any 'out of status' time is forgiven , when transiting from a student visa into a spousal visa , if the alien remains in the usa all the time (ie - don't leave until green card in hand)

so she's PI citizen, with almost a Canadien PR status, today, in the USA , on a student visa, right?

If she stays in the usa after her student status expires, you two marry soonish, and file for AOS soonish, then I THINK she'll be ok (again, as long as she not leave USA). I could be dead wrong, of course.

Break out a calendar, mock up some timelines for her AOS case, ya?

Good Luck !

read this guide -> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline
from what I've read -

any 'out of status' time is forgiven , when transiting from a student visa into a spousal visa , if the alien remains in the usa all the time (ie - don't leave until green card in hand)

so she's PI citizen, with almost a Canadien PR status, today, in the USA , on a student visa, right?

If she stays in the usa after her student status expires, you two marry soonish, and file for AOS soonish, then I THINK she'll be ok (again, as long as she not leave USA). I could be dead wrong, of course.

Break out a calendar, mock up some timelines for her AOS case, ya?

Good Luck !

read this guide -> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2

----------------------------------------------- --------------- ----------------- --------------- -------------------

Hello and thanks for the response!

Yes shes a PI citizen, a Permanent Resident of Canada, here in the US on a student Visa, and will Marry me on feb 26... Alot to process!

Yeah we are worried that it will look bad if her student Visa ends in mid March and she stays here instead of going back to Canada...But by then we will be married and will be just waiting for the marriage certificate to send off the AOS forms. I think basically I'm wonder whether or not it is allowed for her to stay here since she will be married to me, but her student Visa is expired.

I will check out that link right now...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i'll repeat myself.

the 'out of status' time that she will incur, will be forgiven, USUALLY, with nothing more to fill out on her behalf.

But - she'll be out of status between:

student visa expiration date to NOA-1 date from the AOS package.

Once the NOA-1 is in hand, her status changes to 'AOS Pending'

If you go this route - DO NOT LEAVE THE USA until Green Card in hand.

Seriously - make a calendar. use paper and pencil.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Assuming you are both very organized and apply for AOS as soon as possible, she won't be out of status for that long... once she gets the NOA1 she'll be pending.

4OvIp1.png

kCtMp1.png

Nov. 21st - Got married!

April 23rd - Touched!

Timeline
i'll repeat myself.

the 'out of status' time that she will incur, will be forgiven, USUALLY, with nothing more to fill out on her behalf.

But - she'll be out of status between:

student visa expiration date to NOA-1 date from the AOS package.

Once the NOA-1 is in hand, her status changes to 'AOS Pending'

If you go this route - DO NOT LEAVE THE USA until Green Card in hand.

Seriously - make a calendar. use paper and pencil.

------------------ --------------- --------------- -------------------

Ok its becoming a bit clearer...

My question is, should we take the risk that her out of status time will be forgiven, or should she go to Canada and return back here using her Canadian permanent resident card and be here as a tourist while the paperwork is pending? Its alot of traveling, but is that a viable option that way there is no trouble with being out of status?

My question is, should we take the risk that her out of status time will be forgiven, or should she go to Canada and return back here using her Canadian permanent resident card and be here as a tourist while the paperwork is pending? Its alot of traveling, but is that a viable option that way there is no trouble with being out of status?

She will become out of status on March 15.

You will get married on Feb 26.

Even if you file after March 15, I think your wife is pretty safe to stay in the U.S. However, she can not leave the U.S for the next 6 months or so.

25 January 2010: Concurrent filing of I-130, I-485, EAD and AP - sent via UPS overnight delivery to Chicago Lockbox

26 January 2010: Received by receptionist CHIBA at 8:30 AM/Received date on NOA

02 February 2010: Checked cashed/Notice date

05 February 2010: Received NOA's for I-130,I-485,I-131,I-130

13 February 2010: Received ASC Appointment Notice for Biometrics.

17 February 2010: Date of RFE for Federal Tax 1040/Received Text & Email confirmation

19 February 2010: Received RFE in mail

22 February 2010: Mailed Response to RFE via USPS Express mail

24 February 2010: Package delivered and received at Lee's Summit office

26 February 2010: Biometrics DONE/RFE Received-case processing resumed

17 March 2010: Email approval notifications - EAD & AP.

22 March 2010: Received AP by mail. Received interview schedule notice for 22 April.

22 April 2010: Greencard Approved :)

Removal of Conditions

24 January 2012: Sent I-751 petition via USPS Overnight

25 January 2012: Delivered at CSC, Receipt Date NOA1

27 January 2012: Checked cashed

30 January 2012: Received NOA in mail.

06 February 2012: Received Biometrics notice (dated 03 Feb)

02 March 2012: Biometrics appointment.

Timeline

She cannot file for AOS and then go back to Canada. She can EITHER;

- Stay in the US after marrying, file for AOS and accept that she will be out of status after her current visa expires until you submit the paperwork.

OR

- Go back to Canada after marrying, file for CR-1 and wait it out IN CANADA because she needs to process the CR-1 from there.

She can't file for AOS, and then zip back and forth between the US and Canada. While either visa processes, she needs to remain in one place. Once you submit your paperwork for AOS, she CANNOT LEAVE the United States or it will no longer be valid. And it's against the law for her to go back to Canada, then come back as a tourist planning to get married and file.

So basically, if I were in your position, I'd just take the chance and get married and file the paperwork ASAP from the US. Chances are they won't care if she's a week or two out of status - though that's NOT guaranteed.

4OvIp1.png

kCtMp1.png

Nov. 21st - Got married!

April 23rd - Touched!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Coming here on a tourist with intent to marry is frowned upon. A tourist visa is not dual intent. Read up on it.

Edited by Lili

AOS Approved on 10-17-08 (details in profile)

Removal of Conditions on 07-19-10

In this tedious process, we tend to forget that this is all worth it.

I love my hubby beyond anything in this world.

Timeline
Coming here on a tourist with intent to marry is frowned upon. A tourist visa is not dual intent. Read up on it.

Assuming that was in response to what I posted; I am aware of that. I came here on a tourist visa.

I was merely clarifying for the OP that his GF can't go back to Canada and re-enter the US on a tourist visa in order to file for AOS and not be out of status.

4OvIp1.png

kCtMp1.png

Nov. 21st - Got married!

April 23rd - Touched!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Lili - the OP's fiancee did not come to the US on a visitor's visa. She is already here as on a student visa and did not enter the country either as a tourist or with the intent to get married. She is allowed to file from within the US to adjust her status from student to permanent resident based upon her marriage to a US citizen since she legally entered the country without the intent of getting married. As well, it is not illegal to come to the US as a tourist with the intent to marry. That is perfectly legal. What is illegal is to come to the US with the intent to marry AND to stay in the US to adjust status. Many people come to the US on visitor visas intending to get married, get married, and then leave to complete the immigration process. Many also come to the US on visitor visas not intending to get married, do get married, and legally are allowed to remain in the US to complete the immigration process.

Calworthington, as others above have explained, if you chose to file for AOS with your wife in the US on her student visa she will have to remain in the US until she receives either her green card or the Advance Parole travel document. The immigration officer you spoke too gave you bad advice. (Was that from calling the 1-800 Immigration Hotline, btw? If so, there is a good reason they are called the "Misinformation line"). If she leaves after you have filed for the AOS, it cancels out the AOS application and you would have to start the immigration process all over with a CR-1 and her outside of the US. Since she entered legally and without the intent of getting married when she entered, it is perfectly legal for her to remain in the US while she waits for her green card approval. If there is a time between when her current student status expires and her AOS application is accepted (when she will once again have legal status as an 'AOS applicant'), it WILL be forgiven when the green card is approved. I will try and find where that is stated officially and post it here, but you do not need to worry about the short time she is out of status under your current circumstances. File for the AOS as soon as you can, but it won't be a problem if there is a short period where she is out of status.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline
Hello all and thanks in advance for any help, advice or information you can provide....

My questions are:

Is there any way that my wife can she stay while the 485 and 130 are pending?

If we get married feb 26, her student visa expires around march 15, but the marriage certificate doesn't come until after march 15 and we can't send the forms until after her student visa expires, can she still file her status as tourist or will she be classified as overstaying?

Should she return to Canada where she has a newly issued permanent resident card, then return here after a month or two on her tourist visa so that there is no danger of overstaying? Is there any danger of Canada not allowing her to enter the U.S?

Please advise...

As has been said, she must stay in the United States. But, if she is out of status for less than 180 days (which she will be), she can get an advanced parole (I-131, file with the I-130 and I-485, no fee) and after she receives the AP she can travel outside of the country. The overstay will be forgiven when AOS takes place, unless there is something else drastically wrong.

Don't worry, thousands and thousands of people adjust from overstays.

She should not go back to Canada at this point.

Edited by JERIII

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

If you get married in court you can get a certified copy of your marriage certificate immediately - you pay $5 or $10 per copy, can't remember how much exactly. Just make sure you do it before their closing time. That's what we did (not to get the copy faster but because we couldn't afford a wedding, neither I wanted one without my family here).

12/21/2009 Package mailed

12/23/2009 Package received

01/04/2010 All 3 NOA received dated 12/30

01/14/2010 Applied for expedite, I-130 and I-765 touched

01/30/2010 Received Biometrics appointment scheduled for 02/23/2010

02/02/2010 Walked in and did biometrics

02/03/2010 Touched I-765 and I-485

02/19/2010 EAD Card production ordered

02/26/2010 Received interview appointment letter for 03/29

02/27/2010 EAD arrived in mail (Day 51)

03/03/2010 Filed for change in address

03/08/2010 Received change in address confirmation

03/29/2010 INTERVIEW AT 9:30AM - APPROVED (Day 81)

03/31/2010 Card production ordered. YEY!

04/24/2010 Card received after all the trouble!

01/03/2012 Filed I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions of Residence

01/11/2012 Received Notice of Action Dated 01/06/2012

Timeline
If you get married in court you can get a certified copy of your marriage certificate immediately - you pay $5 or $10 per copy, can't remember how much exactly. Just make sure you do it before their closing time. That's what we did (not to get the copy faster but because we couldn't afford a wedding, neither I wanted one without my family here).

Thanks for all the answers everyone. I just got got the official copies of our marriage license and gonna mail off the i-485, i-130, and affidavit of support forms this week!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.