felipe2121

Need urgent help, family member is sick and I need to expedite AP

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi to everyone, I applied for my I-130 / I-485 about 3 weeks ago and received my receipts and NOA,

I also applied for the AP Travel document. I just got a phone call stating that a close family member is in serious medical condition, my AP is still about 40 days or more out. What can I do I know there is a way to expedite the AP as I was reading through previous posts, but it dosent really say much about time frames.

Could someone please outline the procedure and timeline for an expedited AP? Also what is info pass?

Thank you so much for your help.

call your nearest field office and make an infopass appt. They will be able to help you out better. This is the same office that you will go to the interview for your AOS if they require it.

Or you can go here to make an infopass appt. :

http://infopass.uscis.gov/

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
What happens once I scheduale a Info Pass Appointment? What will I have to bring to the appointment?

You will probably need some documentary evidence of the medical emergency. A faxed (or scanned and emailed) doctor's note will probably do.

If they decide at the meeting to approve the expedite, you will usually have the AP document within 24 hours. You might even be able to walk out of the meeting with it.

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Just so you know, looking at your timeline, you may incur a 3 year ban upon exiting the country if you leave, regardless of the status of your AP.

According to your timeline, you entered on May 3rd, 2009, but you didn't send in your AOS packet until 270 days later, January 28, 2010. You got your NOA even later, Feb 11. That's 284 days later - If your original stay was stamped in for only 90 days (correct me if I'm wrong - maybe you came in on a B-2 for 6 months?), then you have accumulated more than 180 days of overstay.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ooh, yikes! didn't see that at 1 in the morning. D'oh!

If you have over 180 out-of-status days, DO NOT LEAVE THE US!

I"m sorry about your relative, but if you leave with that many OOS days (WHETHER YOU HAVE AN AP OR NOT) you will get locked out for 3 years. They're very sticky about that sort of thing, and unlikely to budge, even for a dying relative.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
Ooh, yikes! didn't see that at 1 in the morning. D'oh!

If you have over 180 out-of-status days, DO NOT LEAVE THE US!

I"m sorry about your relative, but if you leave with that many OOS days (WHETHER YOU HAVE AN AP OR NOT) you will get locked out for 3 years. They're very sticky about that sort of thing, and unlikely to budge, even for a dying relative.

Yes I know I overstayed however, but if I have AP approved from the USCIS why would I get locked out? I ask beacuse it dosent seem to make sense since they are the ones approving it and giving permission to travel. FYI I came on a Visa Waiver

Read the Instructions for I-131 - page 3 -- clearly states what happens if you use the AP and were out of status.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Yes I know I overstayed however, but if I have AP approved from the USCIS why would I get locked out? I ask beacuse it dosent seem to make sense since they are the ones approving it and giving permission to travel. FYI I came on a Visa Waiver

USCIS will give an AP document to just about anybody who files for it.

Whether or not that person should use that document is another matter.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

As stated - USCIS doesn't check your "overstay" status when issuing the AP (indeed, the ban does not kick in till you actually leave and attempt re-entry into the US).

Upon return, CBP is the one that processes the AP and looks at your history. If you have overstay 180+, regardless of the AP/AOS, you might be banned.

This is another reason people should not wait till to file the AOS, they should get it done prior to the I-94 expiring (or going over 180 days+ past that date)

I would recommend till you get the greencard.

BTW - this issue came up before, and the couple went to an INFOPASS to ask - was given the same things you are getting here - "don't leave"

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.