Coon

Where can I get an AFFIDAVIT OF SINGLE STATUS

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Also Im gettin married in China in late april early may.

So I need to know how to get the paper work and

how to get married in china and where to get married.

Can anyone here help?

Thanks.

Craig!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

So can pushbrk,

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hi again.

I have a very important question.

If I were to marry in China what do I need?

and where can I find the AFFIDAVIT OF SINGLE STATUS ?

Can you help.

Thanks.

Craig!!

About the single status affidavit, my husband was asked to do the same in Brazil. So they advised him to go to the American Consulate and make an oath in front of the Consul saying he has never been married before, then they would give him a paper to show in the court house.

In the end, we went to a different court house and they didn't even ask for it. :wacko: So we never had to do it.

Maybe the American consulate in China can help you. Good luck ;)

CR-1 Journey - California Service Center

I-130 timeline:
I-130 NOA1 - 05th Nov, 2009
I-130 NOA2 - 10th February, 2010 Yay!!!!
"Your I-130 was approved in 97 days from your NOA1 date."

NVC Journey:
02-16-2010: NVC Case # Assigned
03-31-2010: Case Complete!!
04-12-2010: Interview date assigned by NVC.
05-11-2010: Medical appointment in Rio

05-13-2010: Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!

06-02-2010: POE in Washington DC - Finally home!

July 30, 2010 - Received the Green Card after receiving 4 welcome letters! USCIS see ya later!

2 YEARS LATER......

03-02-2012: Elegible to lift conditions
06-02-2012: Temporary GC expires

12-20-2012: Permanent GC received

6 MONTHS LATER......

06/03/2013: n400 Filled

10/22/2013: Citizenship test and oath ceremony

Hi again.

Can you help.

Thanks.

Craig!!

you need to visit the USEM in China and get a Affidavit for capacity to marry, basically it's just a sworn statement that you are not already married in the US

2007-08-21Met through dating site

2007-10-12Hubby's first visit/met me and picked him up in Davao International Airport

2007-10-17Officially engaged to my one and only love hubby & formally proposed in front of my family

2007-10-22Flew back to the US

2008-02-022nd visit of my hubby and picked him up at Cebu International Airport

2008-02-04Went into the US embassy Cebu to get his certificate of legal capacity

2008-02-05Flew back together into Davao City and drove to Tagum City

2008-02-27Our awaited precious moment the WEDDING DAY!!!!

2008-03-04Hubby Flew back to the US

2009-05-013rd visit of my hubby and picked him up at Hong Kong International Airport

2009-05-02We went to Hong Kong disneyland (pretty amazing)

2009-05-03Flew back together into Manila and got his balikbayan visa to stay here with me for one year

2009-12-24First time we celebrate together the Christmas Eve (very much awesome!)

2009-12-31First time we celebrate together the New Years Eve (very much happy)

2010-01-07We celebrate together on his Birthday!

2010-01-15Celebrate together on his cutie wifey Birthday!

2010-01-25Sent I-130

2010-01-27Manila consulate received

2010-03-31I-130 approved(66 days)

2010-04-15NOA2 received

2010-04-22Packet 3 received(YaY)

2010-04-24DS230I & DS2001 Sent

2010-04-26Manila consulate received

2010-05-06Packet 4 received(Yepeyy)

2010-05-26-MEDICAL 7:00am(Passed)

2010-06-17-INTERVIEW 7:00 AM VISA APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you Lord !!!

2010-06-19 Recieved passport with visa via Air21 so fastttttt !!

2010-07-16 POE Detroit

2010-07-26 Recieved SS card

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

lets move a bit backwards, ah ?

in China - to Get Married

--The 'Right' Marriage Office is the Marriage Office in the district or city where her Hukuo is registered. If she is a migrant worker, then there is good chance WHERE SHE LIVES NOW is NOT the City where her hukuo is registered.

--show up at Marriage Office with Affadavit of Marriageability/Affadavit of Single Status. The clerks at the marriage office will tell you WHICH Official Translation Office to go to, to get the translation (from English into Chinese).

--Then you take the AoM there, get it translated, return to the Marriage Office, and file for marriage.

--When you file for marriage - that's it - yer legally married in China.

Now - to get the Affadavit of Marriage-ability/ Affadavit of Single status - in China -

--You'll need to go to a US Consulate in China, other than Guangzhou (they don't do it there) , set up appointment for US Citizen Services (available on each Consulate's web portal ) then go to the Consulate during the appointment time. You usually bring a CERTIFIED COPY of prior divorce decrees, and cash, then the Vice Consul interviews you, and gives you 'the Affadavit'.

I did mine in BeiJing - we made a two day trip from Wuhan - it was fun for us to do. Other locations that do it -

Chengdu, Shanyang, Shanghai . Wuhan is new, does not do it (yet ).

Guangzhou does not do it , either.

There is other method to 'get it done' in USA, but I don't suggest that route - is many certifications of prior divorce documents by:

1. district clerk

2. Your State's Department of State

3. The China Consulate that you are 'districted' to. (Get attestation ) .

If you have no prior divorce, then I highly recommend going to a US Consulate/Embassy in China, and getting it done, there.

Good Luck !

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

In our case my Husband went to his hometown and got evidence/statement from the local government office. We then had a lawyer prepare the certificate of single status. I think the process is similar with the police records.

K-1

I-129F Sent : 2008-10-10

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-10-15

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-03-01

Visa Received : 2009-03-20

US Entry : 2009-03-26

Marriage : 2009-05-23

AOS, EAD, AP

Date Filed : 2009-06-04

NOA Date : 2009-06-11

Bio. Appt. : 2009-06-23 (original date July 10th)

AOS Transfer: 2009-07-02

Touch: 2009-07-03

Touch: 2009-07-06

Touch: 2009-07-07

Touch: 2009-07-08

Touch: 2009-07-10 with email regarding pending status.

Touch: 2009-07-20

Touch: 2009-07-21

AP and EAD Approved: 2009-08-03

AP Touch: 2009-08-04

AP Touch: 2009-08-05

EAD second email and Touch 2009-08-06

EAD Touch: 2009-08-07

AOS Approved: 2009-08-10

ROC: petition filed 5-18-11

NOA1 received 5-27-11

Biometrics 7-11-11

Decision Date 1-9-12

Approval letter 1-12-12

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
In our case my Husband went to his hometown and got evidence/statement from the local government office. We then had a lawyer prepare the certificate of single status. I think the process is similar with the police records.

to 'legally marry' in China - the process is a bit different - the Official Marriage Office must have Official Translated 'Affadavit of Single Status' for a foreign (in this case, an American) spouse-to-be, to be married in China. This paperwork is filed at the local Marriage Office, in China.

Was your husband a foreigner? Not a USC? It's a bit difference scope, even.

You filed a K-1 visa, and did not marry in Nicarauga. Totally Different Scope (CR-1, marrying IN CHINA ) .

The 'affadavit of single' for a foreign person for K-1 is submitted to the US Embassy/Consulate as part of the K-1 Visa process.

Entirely NOT THE SAME THING, at all, for the OPs question.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

to 'legally marry' in China - the process is a bit different - the Official Marriage Office must have Official Translated 'Affadavit of Single Status' for a foreign (in this case, an American) spouse-to-be, to be married in China. This paperwork is filed at the local Marriage Office, in China.

Was your husband a foreigner? Not a USC? It's a bit difference scope, even.

You filed a K-1 visa, and did not marry in Nicarauga. Totally Different Scope (CR-1, marrying IN CHINA ) .

The 'affadavit of single' for a foreign person for K-1 is submitted to the US Embassy/Consulate as part of the K-1 Visa process.

Entirely NOT THE SAME THING, at all, for the OPs question.

I see. Wow you know your stuff. Thanks!

K-1

I-129F Sent : 2008-10-10

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-10-15

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-03-01

Visa Received : 2009-03-20

US Entry : 2009-03-26

Marriage : 2009-05-23

AOS, EAD, AP

Date Filed : 2009-06-04

NOA Date : 2009-06-11

Bio. Appt. : 2009-06-23 (original date July 10th)

AOS Transfer: 2009-07-02

Touch: 2009-07-03

Touch: 2009-07-06

Touch: 2009-07-07

Touch: 2009-07-08

Touch: 2009-07-10 with email regarding pending status.

Touch: 2009-07-20

Touch: 2009-07-21

AP and EAD Approved: 2009-08-03

AP Touch: 2009-08-04

AP Touch: 2009-08-05

EAD second email and Touch 2009-08-06

EAD Touch: 2009-08-07

AOS Approved: 2009-08-10

ROC: petition filed 5-18-11

NOA1 received 5-27-11

Biometrics 7-11-11

Decision Date 1-9-12

Approval letter 1-12-12

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I had to get an affidavit of single status in order to get married in Colombia. It can be obtained by writing a letter to the probate court for the county you reside in stating that you would like them to search your records and issue a letter stating you you have never been married before (if you´ve been divorced, i dunno if that changes anything). In the letter to the probate court you must include they country in which you will get married, address, telephone and SSN. It usually take 2-3 days to process...probate court you call you to let you know it is ready.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Also Im gettin married in China in late april early may.

So I need to know how to get the paper work and

how to get married in china and where to get married.

Can anyone here help?

Thanks.

Craig!!

Hello #######,

I got married in China last September, I guess I took the lazy route and got my Affidavit of Single Status through a visa company located in New Jersey. I found them on-line. I downloaded the forms and sent required documents with payment, they handled the rest. I received the Affidavit of Single Status within 2 weeks and was off to China. I had no problems what so ever using the document they provided, if you need or want more info just pm me and I will give you the name, site, or phone number. I have used this company for 2 visas and my Affidavit of Single Status. I did not have the time or the money to chase all over the place getting all the signatures and approvals like many people do. If I remember correctly I paid $165.00 for the Affidavit of Single Status, no legwork and was delivered to my home by courier. Good luck, Robert

Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is what you get from not reading it.

The Liberal mind is where logic goes to die!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi again.

Can you help.

Thanks.

Craig!!

contact www.visarite.com

They handled mine and several others far more conveniently than the published method. Call them and they'll walk you through it. On the other hand, if you're going to be near a US Consulate in China, any can provide you with a "Certificate of Marriageability" that also works. You'll need to walk in with any divorce decrees and your intended spouse's Chinese ID card.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
contact www.visarite.com

They handled mine and several others far more conveniently than the published method. Call them and they'll walk you through it. On the other hand, if you're going to be near a US Consulate in China, any can provide you with a "Certificate of Marriageability" that also works. You'll need to walk in with any divorce decrees and your intended spouse's Chinese ID card.

yep, that's the one!!!!!! :thumbs:

Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is what you get from not reading it.

The Liberal mind is where logic goes to die!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
lets move a bit backwards, ah ?

Now - to get the Affadavit of Marriage-ability/ Affadavit of Single status - in China -

--You'll need to go to a US Consulate in China, other than Guangzhou (they don't do it there) , set up appointment for US Citizen Services (available on each Consulate's web portal ) then go to the Consulate during the appointment time. You usually bring a CERTIFIED COPY of prior divorce decrees, and cash, then the Vice Consul interviews you, and gives you 'the Affadavit'.

I did mine in BeiJing - we made a two day trip from Wuhan - it was fun for us to do. Other locations that do it -

Chengdu, Shanyang, Shanghai . Wuhan is new, does not do it (yet ).

Guangzhou does not do it , either.

There is other method to 'get it done' in USA, but I don't suggest that route - is many certifications of prior divorce documents by:

1. district clerk

2. Your State's Department of State

3. The China Consulate that you are 'districted' to. (Get attestation ) .

If you have no prior divorce, then I highly recommend going to a US Consulate/Embassy in China, and getting it done, there.

while researching CR1 process, I had to ask about this. Getting an AFFIDAVIT OF SINGLE STATUS is possible in NY, according to someone who got approved on CR1.

If you're single, write up a document stating your status. Get the document notarized. Bring it to City Hall or County Clerk's office to have it certified.

If you were married, get the document from City Hall/County Clerk's - make sure it's official & all.

Bring a copy of the certified document to the Chinese Embassy where they would approve & translated the copy.

I can't say for certain if other Chinese Embassy offices are willing to do this, as I was told about this process from someone who had it done in NYC.

But if it was me, I would try to get it this way while at home in NY, since doing it in China would mean having Shanghai as an extra stop. Worse case scenario, the NY Chinese Embassy doesn't do it, and I'd go to Shanghai by myself anyway.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.