Nizzy

Baby Corner

2,937 posts in this topic

And as far as the feeding goes... No idea why the hospital put you on a feeding "schedule". We were only given a bare minimum number, never a max. Thought all babies are fed on demand.

HA. Tell the nurses in our hospital that. Several of them explicitly told us to MAKE HER WAIT 4 hours between feedings - which as new parents, we had no idea until she screamed blue murder out of hunger. Frankly we both wanted to slap those nurses silly for that.

Feed on demand is the way to go, 100%. They will eventually get themselves on a schedule.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

We had a baby boy last Friday, Jayden was born 7 lbs.3oz, 21" last Friday at 6:40PM.

Congratulation!!!!

Just had a little rough start but everything has settle down. He was breathing heavy, so he was in NICU(neo natal intensive care unit) for observation, by midnight his breathing had settle down and was down to normal level by morning. I guess the little fellah was running a race trying to be among us.

Mommys and Daddys

When we got home almost less than an hour after feeding, he was crying again, and i could see he's trying to grab the nipple with his gum when trying to remove the bottle,

As time goes on, i started to realize i was putting the little fellah on a diet with that crazy regime, by evening he was crying like crazy, so by 3am, i said FORGET ABOUT WHAT DOC AT NICU SAID, we started to let him have some milk until he's full, GUESS WHAT, HE"S BEEN QUIET eVER SINCE, and been really a good boy, last night we even had a great night sleep and folks complimenting us about how lucky we are.

At the 1st Pediatric appt, I told the DOC i just couldn't follow that program because that would be starving my baby, and the doc agreed with us, he said if the milk was going then yes, it would be a supplement but since there's no milk yet, what you did WAS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

He even lost 1/2 lbs from this drama, so by the second visit, he has already recover and gaing over a pound and no more Junvies something like that.

Feed on demand is the best way for newborn, I learned :)

I'm so excited about flying with the little one next week. Any last minute tips and pointers for a long plane ride?

She's 8 months now and already got a passport, it's so cute :blush:

I'm still not sure what to do about the seat. If we should take the baby car seat on the plane or use the FAA Cares harness. The seat would probably be better for sleeping, but would otherwise restrict her a lot. Also not sure if the car seat would actually fit in the seat. The seat width as per seat guru is 17.2 inches. The base (not car base, I know we leave that at home) fits without problem, but the width of the carrying handle is 18-19 inches. We have 3 middle row seats, so we can put the armrests up and put her in the middle. Just not sure if the seat would be too bulky or not.

Guys give me your opinion on what to do :unsure:

wow, where are you going? Sam has flown twice now, to Thailand (5 MO) and Italy (9MO). So since you have 3 seat then you can take a carseat for sleeping. I never had the carseat with me and I though it's too bulky and heavy and just plain pain in the butt on the plane. The latest trip to Italy, Sam slept most of the time and I just held him. We sat on the bulkhead so the hostress got us an extra blanket and put it on the floor so Sam can sleep there too. It was great. Sam has no problem what so ever with the pressure, but it's always good to bring something for her to suck on anyway.

To bring - bottle or sippy cup for ear pressure, new toys, change of cloth, trash bag, some thing to wipe yourself (in my case recieving blanket). Food, snack (like puff). My Thailand trip, Korean air gave me baby food (3 jars each meal!!!) but my Italy trip with Delta - none.

Just make sure you have her paper ticket and show it at the counter. Or you might have to pay another 10% for her. You can not check in online with the baby so go in early :)

Edit to add that bring baby carrier on to the plane with you is very useful!

Have a fun and safe trip!

Edited by anya-D

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for all the mommy's Tip

We had a baby boy last Friday, Jayden was born 7 lbs.3oz, 21" last Friday at 6:40PM.

Congrats :dance:

As for adding formula to supplement till moms milk comes in you really need to be careful. Feeding on demand works great for BF but adding formula can hurt your supply. Make sure you get baby to nurse as often as possible to help the milk come in it usually takes 3 days but for some can be longer. The more your son is at the breast the better for milk coming in and supply.

As for schedules they work better when the baby is formula fed as it does take longer to digest, it doesn't mean all babies cooperate though.

@Steff Hoping you all are doing better, and are able to get some sleep.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Formula takes longer to digest than breast milk? I've never heard that before.

A schedule didn't work for our formula fed daughter. She would scream her head off after 2 hours if she didn't eat again.

SA4userbar.jpg

Timeline

Well I haven't done any research on it but it is what I was always told, it could be why some doctor's say to supplement with formula to help get rid of jaundice. I was told formula makes the liver and bowels work harder and it clears up the jaundice faster then breast milk since breast milk is easier to digest. I have heard it alot and not something that was just said when I had my older kids cause I still hear the same thing from Ped's and Doc's this time around too.

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

@ Caro: Very cute pics, he's adorable!

@ NikitaCharles: Congrats! I agree about being careful - supplementing with formula will hurt your supply. Even if the milk isn't in yet, the breasts need stimulation. My midwives suggested to latch her on as often as possible, and with my son in the hospital they had me pump every 3 hours and feed the colostrum that is produced before milk comes in to my son - that stuff is very good and extremely rich in nutrients and antibodies. He eventually latched on and never needed supplemental formula. One of my friends' milk didn't come in til day 5, though that is unusual.

Some hospitals/nurses/doctors unfortunately know very little about infant nutrition and breastfeeding (very little time is dedicated to that in med school for peds even!)... So they hand out horrible advice that will sabotage breastfeeding efforts big time. The local ped on base (Air Force) tells every mother to supplement with formula if their baby is below 50th percentile in weight... Pretty crazy, isn't it!

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

hey there, 1 week later and we are doing better!! He is still very fussy, very sensitive and still has a 1-2 hour uncontollable screaming period every night but bottom line, he is eating, gaining weight and in a lot less pain. I guess it took a while for the Zantac to work. He sleeps 2 4 hour stretches for Daddy when I'm at work at night so that helps too. As for sleep- well I get 4 hours total a night/day when I'm home and we are still on survival mode. But it's getting better, the little man is smiling and growing and I am really enjoying every second I have with him!

I got to pump every 3 hours on my first night at work and then last night was so crazy didn't even get a bathroom break. I was able to pump only twice for 5 minutes in 15 hours!! Now my supply is really low. It pisses me off, my hospital just got baby friednly certification but their employees only get 6 weeks unpaid disability after having a baby and then you can't pump because you can't abandon your patients. How is that babyfriendly? They want all moms to bf for 1 year and now here we are supplementing and I WORK there!

Oh well.

LOVE all the baby pictures, the little ones are growing!!

As for the NICU schedule- we put the NICU babies on a 3 hour schedule. 3 hours not 4. No hospital I have ever worked at or heard of would do 4 hours! That's insane. The nursery babies are fed on demand. NICU babies usually have respiratory problems, therefore they can't handle larger feeds, and preemies can't handle breastfeeding or hourly clusterfeeds, because it exhausts them. We start by gavage feeding q3 hours and then advance as they tolerate it to 3 hour nipple feeds (up to 35 cc) Once they take 35 cc per feed the iv is discontinued, and they can go to breastfeeding. Most preemies and sick newborns are sleepyheads so the 3 hour schedule works great for them because they don't care so much for food as a healthy newborn would. I don't know how a nurse can tell a parent only to feed 10cc, that must have been a huge misunderstanding maybe? I would suggest to use your common sense in that case.

On day one 10cc would be ok since no breastfed baby is getting that much anyway before mom's milk has fully come in.

Also newborns should be fed on demand but never never left hungry or put on a 4 hour schedule. Most babies naturally go on a 3 hour schedule if they get full feedings but if they are acting hungry they need to be fed, no matter how much time has passed between feedings.

I can't believe that you guys get such wrong advice from medical "professionals". That's so sad, I have never heard of that, usually the neonatologists and the RN's have to both verify the amount of feeds together. We calculate by age and body weight and carefully monitor body weight, bsa etc.

Ontarkie: that "breastmilk" jaundice is supposedly a myth. They don't recommend supplementing anymore. In Germany I never even heard of that until I came over here and had a friend who was told to supplement with formula. I think the only truth to that is that formula fed babies get more milk and the quantity flushes it out sooner than a bf infant who gets less milk naturally from the delay in mom's milk coming in.

R.I.P. Diana

1982-2008

Thank you for all the advices and sharing.

for the days at the hospital i would go down to NICU every 2-3hrs or when he's up to get him to latch, he wasn't latching the 1st day, but after they reduced the IV intake, he started to take, the hospital provided a breast pump in the room, was pumping every 3 hours or so, and they would give him whatever little colostrum that would come out after pumping several times, but after a while the nipple gets really sore and had to take a break.(WHAT DO YOU LADIES USE FOR SORENESS OR WHEN THE BABY BITE?

I rented the pump from the hospital for a week or so to help with the process, and try to follow the same routine at the hospital, got him to latch for about 10-15 min on each side, then give him the bottle, but if he's really hungry i would go straight to the bottle.

so Friday night and it's Thursday now, I can only get less than 1 ounces a day.

Read somewhere here about some supplement or was it some food that increase your milk supply but can't recall, so whoever posted the info can help out to mention it again.

I guess as the days go on, I get more worried even though I try not to worry. The little fellah is now doing fine, eating more than 2 ounces at each feed and still latching.

@ Caro: Very cute pics, he's adorable!

@ NikitaCharles: Congrats! I agree about being careful - supplementing with formula will hurt your supply. Even if the milk isn't in yet, the breasts need stimulation. My midwives suggested to latch her on as often as possible, and with my son in the hospital they had me pump every 3 hours and feed the colostrum that is produced before milk comes in to my son - that stuff is very good and extremely rich in nutrients and antibodies. He eventually latched on and never needed supplemental formula. One of my friends' milk didn't come in til day 5, though that is unusual.

Some hospitals/nurses/doctors unfortunately know very little about infant nutrition and breastfeeding (very little time is dedicated to that in med school for peds even!)... So they hand out horrible advice that will sabotage breastfeeding efforts big time. The local ped on base (Air Force) tells every mother to supplement with formula if their baby is below 50th percentile in weight... Pretty crazy, isn't it!

Edited by Nikita2Charles

Gone but not Forgotten!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

@ Nikita: The soreness will go away. Did they give you some nipple cream, such as Lansinoh? If not get yourself some, Target has a good selection. My hospital also gave me cold pads, they are resusable cold compresses to put on your breast with engorgement which hit me hard as I pumped and then latched on, so once the milk was in - huge oversupply. Anyways, nipple ointment will help and make it better. After each time you pump or nurse, rub the leftover breastmilk in into your nipple, it heals it very well, and once dry, apply the nipple cream. Let them airdry as much as possible. I ran around basically naked for the first few weeks at home. ;) Your nipples will feel better, it takes some time and less time for others.

As for upping your supply: drink plenty of fluids. Try nursing tea (I like the Yogi brand a lot), fennel, carroway and fenugreek teas and fenugreek capsules. 2 fenugreek pills 3 times daily usually have a good effect on your supply and then you can wean off of that slowly. Check out kellymom.com, she is a RN IBCLC and has really good advice on her website. And also, the amount you pump is not necessarily an indicator for how much milk you make - baby is much, much more effective at removing milk than a pump. Of course preemies are not as strong, but usually once they hit their 40 week mark they get good at nursing (e.g. my son was born at 37 weeks and once he was 3 weeks old, aka 40 weeks gestational age, he was unstoppable).

@ Steffi: I'm glad the meds kicked in! My neighbor said something about it taking time to work. But Kai is gaining weight like a champ! I'm sorry about your work situation - have you talked to the supervisor? As far as I know NY has pretty good laws... I know you don't and can't abandon your patient, but then the hospital has to provide for someone to pick up the slack while you pump, it is after all a law in the state that they do have to adhere to. I know it all sounds better in print than in real life cause it means a boss confrontation, but I would do it, it's not worth loosing your supply, especially since you mentioned that Kai is very sensitive to things (the diaper rashes, the reflux), I'd want him to get as much mama milk as possible. I know it is easy for me to say who doesn't have to deal with this, and it will probably be hard to enforce your rights. Have you talked to Chuck about that? What's his advice?

Arrghh. I can't complain about Jona as brother, because he is very sweet and nice to his sister. However his mama directed tantrums lately... You can absolutely tell he is trying to push my buttons and testing his bounderies. He tries to refuse about everything (like eating, or packing away toys) that used to be pretty routine for him. I know it's the age, but GOD this is hard. It's toddlerzilla.

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Justin and I were talking in the bedroom. Sebas went to get his potty, and sat down. I asked him "do you want to use the potty?", and took off his diaper...he grunted...Justin said "I'm going to keep talking, I think he's going!"...and that's the story of the first time SEBAS USED THE POTTY!!

Needless to say, we are very excited (specially Justin who really hates diapers :lol: )

Crazy thing, we barely did any potty training...I had him sit on it a couple of times while we read a story just so he would get the feeling of it, and then we read "the potty book" (little potty training story for babies) every night because he likes the book and keeps bringing it to me...but that's really about it! I don't know how we were blessed with such an easy going baby :luv:

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

CARO?!?!? REALLY? Your one lucky mommy! Sebas isnt even 2! Zaid will be 3 next week and has NEVER pooped on the potty. He doesnt mind poop in his pants at all. Im beginning to think he will NEVER pottytrain :( We started early too (18 mos) and he wasnt ready. We tried again at 2, not ready, and kept retrying. boooo. Congrats to you guys and wtg Sebas!!

Stef, hang in there. Sounds like things are getting slightly better. I too would demand time to pump, with your milk supply how do you manage not to? Dont you leak? Theres gotta be someone who can cover you for 15 mins? Get some new Kai pics up on FB. Im sure hes changed a ton already!

Anna, yes, beastmode! lol Zaid too is AMAZING with his sister. He is calm and gentle and loves her alot, but he pushes my buttons allll day long. Im sure they do it for attention. It will get better. Zaid was horrible at 2.5, unexplainably horrible and defiant as ever, things are getting better.

I had a glass of wine yesterday. Does that make me a bad mom? lol I just couldnt resist. Went to Olive garden with some friends and just had to. I also plan to have a night out next thursday (Sof and my first time without kids in 2 years) and am planning to pump and dump. (cringe) I am dreading doing it but I really need to know I can still have some freedom while being attached to the pump. How long do you think I should dump for? Or do you think its worth buying the tester strips from babies r us? I dont want to sound like an alcoholic but I will probably have 3 or 4 stiff drinks :)

Salmas 2 mo visit is today. Wish me luck. Im dreading all those vaccines but know in our situation its best.

CARO?!?!? REALLY? Your one lucky mommy! Sebas isnt even 2! Zaid will be 3 next week and has NEVER pooped on the potty. He doesnt mind poop in his pants at all. Im beginning to think he will NEVER pottytrain :( We started early too (18 mos) and he wasnt ready. We tried again at 2, not ready, and kept retrying. boooo. Congrats to you guys and wtg Sebas!!

Stef, hang in there. Sounds like things are getting slightly better. I too would demand time to pump, with your milk supply how do you manage not to? Dont you leak? Theres gotta be someone who can cover you for 15 mins? Get some new Kai pics up on FB. Im sure hes changed a ton already!

Anna, yes, beastmode! lol Zaid too is AMAZING with his sister. He is calm and gentle and loves her alot, but he pushes my buttons allll day long. Im sure they do it for attention. It will get better. Zaid was horrible at 2.5, unexplainably horrible and defiant as ever, things are getting better.

I had a glass of wine yesterday. Does that make me a bad mom? lol I just couldnt resist. Went to Olive garden with some friends and just had to. I also plan to have a night out next thursday (Sof and my first time without kids in 2 years) and am planning to pump and dump. (cringe) I am dreading doing it but I really need to know I can still have some freedom while being attached to the pump. How long do you think I should dump for? Or do you think its worth buying the tester strips from babies r us? I dont want to sound like an alcoholic but I will probably have 3 or 4 stiff drinks :)

Salmas 2 mo visit is today. Wish me luck. Im dreading all those vaccines but know in our situation its best.

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I could hardly believe it myself! and I think if Justin hadn't been there, he wouldn't have believe me either!

I know he didn't learn it at day care because they don't potty train until the next room. Justin was so funny, he was so happy he didn't know what to do with himself - he was running around and clapping, and finally decided to give him some raspberries as "prize" :D

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

nope I was all by myself in postpartum and my night manager was with me but she had to go and do 2 emergency c-sections in the back, so she was running back and forth between labor and delivery and postpartum. I had 8 mom's and babies by myself it was insane. Yes I was so engorged and in so much pain I couldn't even wear my stethoscope around the neck! I was supposed to start part time in the NICU next month but that was cancelled too bc they are so short staffed in L&D. :angry: They put me on full time for L&D/post partum for may without even asking me or letting me pick my shifts on the pencil schedule!! I'm pissed because it's my birthday, anniversary, mothers day, my friends bachelorette party, my mom coming from Germany etc all these days I have to work! It's a circus... I did talk to my boss but it's just not possible sometimes with no one to cover. Oh well, I've seen it coming. Now I use my "sleep-time" to get up and pump every 2 hours and so far I have enough to cover for tonight.

OK and here are some awesome news- Kai slept over 5 hours last night!!!! :dance: He went to sleep at 9pm and woke up at 2:30 then another 3 hour stretch from 3am-6am. I feel like a new person. Just wish I didn't have to work another night shift tonight.

Caro: congrats on potty success!! that's great!!

Kel: maybe you can take Zaid and let him buy his own potty seat (the kind of seat that goes on the real toilet) and make a big deal out of it to get him interested? I hated the little baby potty because scraping poop out of it was worse than changing a diaper so we put him right on the big toilet and he was ok with it especially since he loves to do everything like we do! Be consistent and just make a commitment to no more diapers (except maybe at night if he isn't dry in the morning). Even if he has accidents, it will stop, he will use the potty someday. Maybe do it on a weekend when you're home. Start when you know he has to go pee, like right after a nap or right after waking in the morning if his diaper is dry, then bribe him with stickers/treats etc. :innocent:

Tweety: we never brought the infant seat on the plane, I think it takes up a lot of room. I chekd it in a bag. But if your baby sleeps good in the seat then I would bring it. Do whatever you think will be more comfortable. I put Ben in an infant carrier (ergo or Baby bjorn) for take off and landing although I got yelled at by the flight attendants every time but I just didn't want to risk the baby getting hurt if god forbid there would be an incident. Good luck, have a safe trip, hope all goes well for you!

R.I.P. Diana

1982-2008

Timeline

OK and here are some awesome news- Kai slept over 5 hours last night!!!! :dance: He went to sleep at 9pm and woke up at 2:30 then another 3 hour stretch from 3am-6am. I feel like a new person. Just wish I didn't have to work another night shift tonight.

That is definitely great news :dance::dance:

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08