Mom2LilNoah

judicial oath ceremony

12 posts in this topic

I just wanna know if anyone here, preferably Filipinas/Filipinos who went through judicial oath ceremony. Can you guys please describe how it works, how long it takes to get the appointment letter from the day you're interviewed, and other things related to it? It's been over a month since I had my interview and I wonder if the waiting time is normal and is there an office that I can call, particularly here in Birmingham, Alabama where I'm supposed to take the oath, instead of Atlanta?

I'd appreciate your 2 cents of this post.

~ Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections. ~

MY NATURALIZATION JOURNEY

8-28-2009 - Sent my application in

8-31-2009 - Recieved by USCIS (Texas Lockbox Facility)

9- 4 -2009 - Money order cashed

9- 8 -2009 - NOA receipt, dated September 2

9-28-2009 - Biometrics appointment letter received, dated September 24

10-6-2009 - Biometrics

10-26-2009- Receipt of Yellow Letter, dated October 22

11-2-2009 - Receipt of IL, dated October 30

12-8-2009 - Interview

5-19-2010 - Oath Ceremony (Birmingham Museum of Art)

*Time to rest dealing with the Immigration for myself...til it's time for me to petition my family. What a big relief*

Now I remember the name...CONSULAR OUTREACH which they do every now and then in different states.

~ Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections. ~

10-6-2009 - Biometrics

12-8-2009 - Interview

*Time to rest dealing with the Immigration for myself...til it's time for me to petition my family. What a big relief*

Now I remember the name...CONSULAR OUTREACH which they do every now and then in different states.

You're talking about Philippine Consulate right? Coz I haven't heard of USCIS offices doing such thing for oath ceremonies? :unsure:

You're talking about Philippine Consulate right? Coz I haven't heard of USCIS offices doing such thing for oath ceremonies? :unsure:

I'm sorry, the 2nd post was off topic in relation to the original post. :bonk:

10-6-2009 - Biometrics

12-8-2009 - Interview

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Are you sure you did not recieved your appt letter after your interview? somtimes immigration officers asking you when is the best date you can do your oath taking check your files again if its not you can ask them via calling the USCIS, the ceremony takes about 3 +/- hrs depends on how many persons doing the oath taking :idea:

Are you sure you did not recieved your appt letter after your interview? somtimes immigration officers asking you when is the best date you can do your oath taking check your files again if its not you can ask them via calling the USCIS, the ceremony takes about 3 +/- hrs depends on how many persons doing the oath taking :idea:

Hi...the oath ceremony you're talking about is different from the usual ceremony because the judicial oath ceremony is more private I believe. I was supposed to take the oath after my interview but since I opted not to have my current name changed, my IO told me that I will have an oath-taking this year (it's been close to 2 months though since my Interview) and I still haven't received my appointment yet which she said I will get by the mail. My district office is Atlanta but instead of going there, they told me that I can take it in Birmingham Alabama, which is the best part of it since I am from Alabama. Ms. Rebelheart has more or less the same status as myself and I wish there's somebody here who can share their experience if they went through the "judicial oath ceremony" which I have a strong feeling happens only to Filipinas/Filipinos.

10-6-2009 - Biometrics

12-8-2009 - Interview

• 2 weeks later...

When the IO told me that the judicial oath ceremony will take place this year, I thought it's gonna be early this year but I was wrong because it's over 2 months already since my interview and I still haven't heard from whatever office it is to send me the appointment.

Then I took an action last week by contacting our senators by filling out a form online. Then today, I got a call from the office of one of our senators that there's gonna be one in May. That sounds promising rather than waiting for the unknown. I am not complaining about the longevity of the wait, it's about the wonderment of "WHEN".

To Rebelheart, I'd like to believe that if you were to take the judicial oath ceremony just like myself in Birmingham, Alabama, we would have the same schedule then if they give one for the public. Let me know what's your current status.

I am just glad they respond at a very reasonable time.

10-6-2009 - Biometrics

12-8-2009 - Interview

When the IO told me that the judicial oath ceremony will take place this year, I thought it's gonna be early this year but I was wrong because it's over 2 months already since my interview and I still haven't heard from whatever office it is to send me the appointment.

Then I took an action last week by contacting our senators by filling out a form online. Then today, I got a call from the office of one of our senators that there's gonna be one in May. That sounds promising rather than waiting for the unknown. I am not complaining about the longevity of the wait, it's about the wonderment of "WHEN".

To Rebelheart, I'd like to believe that if you were to take the judicial oath ceremony just like myself in Birmingham, Alabama, we would have the same schedule then if they give one for the public. Let me know what's your current status.

Did you request to change your name? Or you just wanted the judicial oath. To be honest with you, it may take up to 6months - 1yr, depending on your residential location. All the best with that. In the mean time, call the 1-800 number and find out if you can request an administrative oath.

All the best.

Did you request to change your name? Or you just wanted the judicial oath. To be honest with you, it may take up to 6months - 1yr, depending on your residential location. All the best with that. In the mean time, call the 1-800 number and find out if you can request an administrative oath.

All the best.

I actually didn't. I wanna keep my married name (the name I used as a result of my marriage), and have been using in all my government, bank, official, and other pertinent records as a legal resident of the U.S. Therefore, I did not ask to have it changed. Birmingham is just 1 hour away from my place of residence and given the fact that there's one in May, I am crossing my fingers that I am one of them.

However, during the discussion of that issue, she said that it's considered changing of name hence, judicial oath ceremony. I don't know, it isn't fair that some applicants, particularly Filipinas did not go through this. There's definitely inconsistencies in the system.

Anyhow, thanks a lot for the response.

10-6-2009 - Biometrics

12-8-2009 - Interview

• 4 weeks later...

Hey! been long time haven't visited VJ, but I'm sorry to say that I haven't gone to judicial oath yet. When I came back from my vacation last Jan. I called the IO as soon as I could , she said it will take long time to have a schedule and it's not in their jurisdiction to decide how long it gonna be. Like she's saying... it's out her hand after she interviewed me and passed it.

Haven't done anything yet, my hubby thinking of calling senator's office but sadly our senator here have no intentions to run for office anymore and will be retiring. So my husband change his mind. So we've been busy with stuff on our family medical issues, it came totally out of my mind. But this morning I remember my case again =D.

I'll be trying to call the helpline tomorrow, but I already make schedule for infopass this end of month. So i'll get to you the result after that. I have an options before of not getting the judicial oath instead go for the mother's name middle name issue thing. But as I've told you, the big outcome of that were changing my name on all of my Id's and cards or change name to county courthouse and then change the name on the citizenship cert. again and paid for it.. more things to be done. So I hopefully get the judicial oath.. BUT I've heard or read from other people here or in real, sometime it gonna took for a year or so for judicial oath. But Immigration as they said have 90-120 days to make a follow-up.. I'm nearly on my 120 days on April 6 actually =D

Well, i'll keep reading on posts here and will keep in touch with you about my case soon hopefully. God bless! take care always.

-rebelheart-

07-13-06 - K1/K2 AOS/EAD sent

11-04-06 - 2 NOA's transfer to CSC

11-17-06 - "K1 APPROVED AOS" no interview

11-27-06 - "K1 - GREENCARD" rcvd.

01-23-07 - K2 GREENCARD rcvd.

08-20-08 - I-751 sent to Texas Service Center, transfer to VSC

08-26-08 - I-751 NOA1 & 1yr. Extension letter

09-18-08 - I-751 NOA2 - Biometrics Appointment Notice

03-11-09 - I-751 transfer from VSC to CSC!

05-13-09 - I-751 APPROVED

06-24-09 - card production ordered

08-20-09 - N400 - Citizenship Application

08-24-09 - NOA notice date

08-28-09 - NOA in mailbox

09-10-09 - email asking for more evidence

09-14-09 - Biometrics NOA date

09-18-09 - Biometrics Letter arrived in mailbox

10-09-09 - Biometrics Schedule

10-14-09 - Notice date of the yellow letter

10-30-09 - touched online for "testing & interview"

11-03-09 - IL received in mailbox

12-07-09 - "PASSED" Interview & it's my Hubby Bday too!

04-17-10 - Oath letter received in mailbox

05-14-10 - Judicial Oath atlast! in Atl

110 days - Application to Interview

158 days - Interview to Judicial Oath

268 days - Total processing days for my N400

Thanks Rebelheart, I'll keep an eye for updates...let me know what you scooped out of here or anywhere.

I just sent you a reply to your message.

Best regards,

Mom2LilNoah

10-6-2009 - Biometrics

12-8-2009 - Interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

From my understanding, a judicial oath ceremony has to be presided by a judge, and that's the problem, finding a judge with some free time to conduct the ceremony.

In this country, when a woman gets married, all she has to bring in is her birth certificate, proof of her maiden name and her marriage certificate as proof of her married name, doesn't have to be done before a judge. But does if you change your name to another name for whatever other reason, like from Smith to Jones. Not sure why you got shifted to a judicial oath ceremony.

Our key identification piece of paper in the USA is your social security card, just had to bring in wife's birth certificate, her passport, and marriage certificate in to get her name changed, she didn't even have to appear in person, just made copies of the originals I brought in along with her application.

Was far more complicated in Colombia where they use a personal ID, had to bring that same stuff in, but with an a apostile for any foreign document that cost extra bucks, and had to go to a notary first that also cost extra bucks, then she had to appear in person at the ID office, here, you can mail that in if you want to risk them losing your key documents.

Heard Obama is talking about us getting a national ID system, more money for the attorneys. But compared to other countries, we are kind of loose in this respect. SS is not a personal identification office, but serve as one. Their function is to take FICA taxes out of your paycheck for retirement, that you may never get back.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.