new2010

Must I go to Social Security Office to update my status after I become a US Citizen?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hi,

Must I go to Social Security Office to update my status after I become a US Citizen?

I became a Citizen in Sep 2009. But I still have not gone to Social Security Office to update my status. Is that okay if i don't go? What will happen?

Thanks.

2/5/16, I-130 package delivered to USCIS (for Dad)

2/11/16, NOA 1 receipt date

5/5/16, RFE received

5/23/16, gathered all docs required by RFE, package delivered to USCIS

6/2/16, USCIS confirmed receipt of Request for Evidence

6/9/16, I-130 approved

6/13/16, NOA 2 received

6/17/16, case is in NVC building but not yet in the system

7/1/16, finally case is in the system, GUZ case# assigned

7/5/16, received welcome letter, choice of agent form and AOS fee bill

7/6/16, choice of agent request submitted on line

7/6/16, AOS fee bill payment submitted

7/7/16, AOS fee showing PAID

7/18/16, submitted AOS, Financial docs and Supporting Docs via email

7/18/16, IV fee bill received, payment submitted

7/19/16, IV fee showing PAID, case# changed, GZO# assigned

7/22/16, Submitted DS-260 on line

8/13/16, case completed, interview date - 9/8/2016

8/19/16, physical exam

8/25/16, got exam result - passed

9/8/16, interview passed

10/4/16, Immigrant Visa Fee $165 Payment Completed online

10/8/16, Arrived at JFK

11/16/16, status updated "began producing the card for Form OS155A"

11/22/16, status updated "card is ready to ship"

11/25/16, status updated "the Post Office picked up mail containing your new card", tracking# included

11/26/16, the package arrived at local post office and is ready for pickup

11/28/16, received 'pickup notice' from USPS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi,

I became a Citizen in Sep 2009. But I still have not gone to Social Security Office to update my status. Is that okay if i don't go? What will happen?

Thanks.

As a USC you are potentially eligible for different level of benefits. It would be in your interest to do so.

YMMV

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline
As a USC you are potentially eligible for different level of benefits. It would be in your interest to do so.

Agree, I did it each time my status changed.

K

Meet 12/2000; Married 01/2004; AOS 01/2005; R-C 07/2007; Citizen 06/2008
In love for 14 years and happily counting...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You don't have to, but it still won't stop them from taking FICA taxes from your paycheck, but will reduce your benefits if and when you can apply for them.

It took us a couple of months to get this done, no rush for us either, still awhile off before wife can draw any benefits, and if they keep on raising the age you can draw at, wife may have to be 150 years old before she can apply.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi New2010,

First of all, try this link...(as recommended by other VJers)

What to do after the oath ceremony

http://www.newcitizen.us/after.html

And this is what it says about updating social security......

Step 5. Report Your Change in Citizenship to the Social Security Administration

The Social Security Administration requires any person who has a change in his or her immigration or citizenship status to report that change to the Social Security Administration (see Your Social Security Number And Card ).

Reporting this change is actually to the benefit of you, the new citizen. Why?

The social security database will be updated showing you as a US citizen. This database is shared with all federal agencies and many state agencies further validating your US citizenship status with the federal and state governments.

With your social security records updated showing you as a US citizen, it will be much easier in the future to apply for and receive all social security benefits entitled to you.

If you ever have to replace your social security card, obtaining a new card will be easier now that you are a US citizen.

Lastly, in some states, certain disability benefits are only available to US citizens. By changing your citizenship status with the Social Security Administration you will ensure you receive all disability, retirement and social security benefits for which you qualify as a US citizen.

You must report the change by completing Form SS-5 and by visiting your local Social Security Administration office in person. The change can be done by mail, but we do not recommend it. To find the office nearest you, see Office Locator.

When you visit the Social Security Administration office, you must bring proof of US citizenship such as your Certificate of Naturalization or your US passport and some other form of picture ID such as a driver’s license. You must also bring the completed Form SS-5 or you can just obtain the form there and complete it while you are waiting.

Your will be interviewed by the Social Security Administration office staff. They will verify your citizenship and then update your records. Updating your social security records will not result in a new social security card being issued to you unless there were restrictions on your old card. If you would like a new social security card, make a request for one during your interview with the office staff.

Second of all, this is my timeline and things to do after the oath ceremony....

Ant's things to do after US Citizenship list...., Am I done yet? Anything else I need to do?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry3636443

For me, updating social security helped, as I needed that so that I could apply for my NYS Enhanced Driver's License, which the DMV verified my citizenship status there with the SSA. As well, if you ever apply for a US Passport, more likely than not, they will verify your citizenship status with the SSA too, so that you can get your passport. Also, employers may check your social security number and citizenship status with the SSA too, so might be needed for employment services. I also got a new social security card too, when I updated my status (though I didn't need a new one, but they just sent me one anyways...now I have 2 cards...lol...).

It's not that hard to update social security..All you have to do is show them your citizenship certificate, fill out a couple of forms, and they will do the update right away, especially if you have been a citizen for awhile.

Think of the SSA as a "central database" for others to verify your citizenship status with. And if you get that updated, then everyone else is update too. ;)

Hope this helps too. Good luck with your journey after citizenship too...

Ant

Hi,

Thanks.

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi New2010,

First of all, try this link...(as recommended by other VJers)

What to do after the oath ceremony

http://www.newcitizen.us/after.html

And this is what it says about updating social security......

Step 5. Report Your Change in Citizenship to the Social Security Administration

The Social Security Administration requires any person who has a change in his or her immigration or citizenship status to report that change to the Social Security Administration (see Your Social Security Number And Card ).

Reporting this change is actually to the benefit of you, the new citizen. Why?

The social security database will be updated showing you as a US citizen. This database is shared with all federal agencies and many state agencies further validating your US citizenship status with the federal and state governments.

With your social security records updated showing you as a US citizen, it will be much easier in the future to apply for and receive all social security benefits entitled to you.

If you ever have to replace your social security card, obtaining a new card will be easier now that you are a US citizen.

Lastly, in some states, certain disability benefits are only available to US citizens. By changing your citizenship status with the Social Security Administration you will ensure you receive all disability, retirement and social security benefits for which you qualify as a US citizen.

You must report the change by completing Form SS-5 and by visiting your local Social Security Administration office in person. The change can be done by mail, but we do not recommend it. To find the office nearest you, see Office Locator.

When you visit the Social Security Administration office, you must bring proof of US citizenship such as your Certificate of Naturalization or your US passport and some other form of picture ID such as a driver’s license. You must also bring the completed Form SS-5 or you can just obtain the form there and complete it while you are waiting.

Your will be interviewed by the Social Security Administration office staff. They will verify your citizenship and then update your records. Updating your social security records will not result in a new social security card being issued to you unless there were restrictions on your old card. If you would like a new social security card, make a request for one during your interview with the office staff.

Second of all, this is my timeline and things to do after the oath ceremony....

Ant's things to do after US Citizenship list...., Am I done yet? Anything else I need to do?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry3636443

For me, updating social security helped, as I needed that so that I could apply for my NYS Enhanced Driver's License, which the DMV verified my citizenship status there with the SSA. As well, if you ever apply for a US Passport, more likely than not, they will verify your citizenship status with the SSA too, so that you can get your passport. Also, employers may check your social security number and citizenship status with the SSA too, so might be needed for employment services. I also got a new social security card too, when I updated my status (though I didn't need a new one, but they just sent me one anyways...now I have 2 cards...lol...).

It's not that hard to update social security..All you have to do is show them your citizenship certificate, fill out a couple of forms, and they will do the update right away, especially if you have been a citizen for awhile.

Think of the SSA as a "central database" for others to verify your citizenship status with. And if you get that updated, then everyone else is update too. ;)

Hope this helps too. Good luck with your journey after citizenship too...

Ant

Thank you very much for your information, Ant+D+BabyA. I will go to Social Security soon. I just think this can wait and never did it. But it has been 4 months since I became a citizen. I should go there soon.

2/5/16, I-130 package delivered to USCIS (for Dad)

2/11/16, NOA 1 receipt date

5/5/16, RFE received

5/23/16, gathered all docs required by RFE, package delivered to USCIS

6/2/16, USCIS confirmed receipt of Request for Evidence

6/9/16, I-130 approved

6/13/16, NOA 2 received

6/17/16, case is in NVC building but not yet in the system

7/1/16, finally case is in the system, GUZ case# assigned

7/5/16, received welcome letter, choice of agent form and AOS fee bill

7/6/16, choice of agent request submitted on line

7/6/16, AOS fee bill payment submitted

7/7/16, AOS fee showing PAID

7/18/16, submitted AOS, Financial docs and Supporting Docs via email

7/18/16, IV fee bill received, payment submitted

7/19/16, IV fee showing PAID, case# changed, GZO# assigned

7/22/16, Submitted DS-260 on line

8/13/16, case completed, interview date - 9/8/2016

8/19/16, physical exam

8/25/16, got exam result - passed

9/8/16, interview passed

10/4/16, Immigrant Visa Fee $165 Payment Completed online

10/8/16, Arrived at JFK

11/16/16, status updated "began producing the card for Form OS155A"

11/22/16, status updated "card is ready to ship"

11/25/16, status updated "the Post Office picked up mail containing your new card", tracking# included

11/26/16, the package arrived at local post office and is ready for pickup

11/28/16, received 'pickup notice' from USPS

Filed: Other Timeline
Thank you very much for your information, Ant+D+BabyA. I will go to Social Security soon. I just think this can wait and never did it. But it has been 4 months since I became a citizen. I should go there soon.

New2010-Glad to be able to help here..:) And good luck in going to the SSA soon to update your Citizenship status too. It certainly will help there.

"Better late than never," I suppose. And yes, by having waited until now, they should have no problems updating such right away, since more than enough time has lapsed for the USCIS to update things on their end too, so that SSA gets the updated and verified info from them there too.

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Agree, I did it each time my status changed.

Kiv,

Sorry for the stupid question, but what do you mean by each time your status changed? Does this need to be done at each stage (AOS and ROC)?

Thanks!

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Using Adobe Acrobat Pro, only typed out the SSA application once for my wife and daughter, making changes for each phase. Last one was easy, just changed her status and the date and had her sign the form. Took that and her certificate to our SS office that is at a town I do business with, they copied her certificate, and sent her a new card about two weeks later. From her probationary card, her SS number has remained the same, checked that as she already paid in benefits.

If you really have deep faith in our system, you could mail your certificate in with your application, I don't seem to have that faith so rather bring it in myself and bring it out myself. Would be very inconvenient for my wife to do it as the SS office is only opened during working hours, she would have to take time off without pay.

As I recall, first she was an immigrant allowed to work, had to show her EAD card for that, then she was a LPR, that got her and SS card with that probationary removed, then a USC. As a tradition in her home country, wanted her maiden name included with her married name, but she dropped that with her USC, way too confusing with the computer systems we have today so her newest card just contains her first, middle, and married last name. Believe I also needed our marriage certificate besides her passport and EAD for her first application, just her green card for the second, and her USC certificate for the last. Yeah, and took her drivers's license with me too. That is kind of stupid as she got her drivers' license based on her green card. We have idiots running this country.

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline
Kiv,

Sorry for the stupid question, but what do you mean by each time your status changed? Does this need to be done at each stage (AOS and ROC)?

Thanks!

venusfire

I got my first SS Card when I got my EAD, and it had a note saying valid only with EAD.

After my I-485 interview they gave me a new one without the note.

I did not do it at ROC, however the nice lady that I talked to the 3rd time said that they register that change too.

And the 3rd time was when I became a Citizen, I have 3 cards (can't tell the diference between the last 2).

K

Meet 12/2000; Married 01/2004; AOS 01/2005; R-C 07/2007; Citizen 06/2008
In love for 14 years and happily counting...

• 5 years later...
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I just updated my status, when i went there, its almost time to close, so this guy didnt asked me to fillup the form. He just took my id and my certificate. Then he gave me a receipt. Then after a couple of days i got a new ss card. Now i have 2. How'd you know if its been updated? There is no difference on the new card from the previous card i had only the date. To my surprised why they have to give me a new card? Because i gave them my old ss card?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.