andana_dj

What do you do while waiting for your EAD or Green Card?

18 posts in this topic

I was wondering how other people handle this waiting period without being able to drive, work, travel, and basically function like a normal human being.... :whistle:

I am trying to be all patient and calm about all this waiting part but sometimes I just get really angry about it...

I am also always trying to keep myself busy around the house... by cooking nice meals and new recipes all the time for my hubby, by helping him with school tests and such, reading, cleaning, learning....etc.... many little things that are fun but which gets old from time to time.....

Do you mind sharing your experience on this topic?

Thank you

ROC

01/13/2012 - package delivered at CSC

01/17/2012 - check cashed

--/--/---- - NOA1

01/25/2012 - Bio Letter received (dated 01/20)

02/03/2012 - Biometrics Appointment done

Busied myself with blogging, going out with friends, baking and traveling within the US with my husband. Why don't you try blogging the recipes you cooked for your husband, you can earn money from it too.

Visit My Website

Nothing Worth Having is Easy.

Busied myself with blogging, going out with friends, baking and traveling within the US with my husband. Why don't you try blogging the recipes you cooked for your husband, you can earn money from it too.

Really... didnt know that it is possible to make money out of it too.... do you know some sites where I could post some of my cooking tips?

ROC

--/--/---- - NOA1

Since I finished my studies years ago, this is the first time that I don't have a job. My husband and I sent my AOS package yesterday so last night, I started browsing some sites for a job hunt. :lol:

Anyway, I am trying to teach myself Spanish in the meantime. I borrowed books and CDs from the public library. My husband and I also got a membership in the nearest YMCA where I can go anytime for some fitting activities. Both the YMCA and the public library here in Santa Monica are really decent and well-maintained places. I also talk to the cat at home while my husband is at work and I watch NatGeo and Animal Planet a lot.

BTW, if you find a site to post your cooking, do update me. I have been learning Western cooking on my own, too.

Hakuna matata.

God bless us all.

FAE :luv:

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

you can make your own blog. Try opening this 2 sites.

http://blogspot.com

http://wordpress.com

Thank you very much! :thumbs:

I am going to try and post some of the little kitchen secrets I am aware of.... thats great idea....

I wish also to can get a little kitty myself too....I love them! but unfortunately my husband has allergy on them...so I can't expose him to this.....

by the way learning spanish is a great idea too! very useful to know it around here :thumbs:

ROC

--/--/---- - NOA1

I was luckily able to stay home with my husband a lot, so it wasn't too bad for him. We got dogs and that kept him busy. Also he could drive on his UK license, so he wasn't totally isolated at home. The last month of so of the wait he started looking around for jobs. I told him he should get a US certification for his personal training while he was waiting, but he didn't feel like it. If you do need or want some type of certification, taking an online course could be something to do as well.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

While waiting, my husband has been cooking (and eating) a lot, meeting all the neighbors (who I hadn't met in over 5 years of living here), and starting in a few weeks, taking some college courses.

He also watches a lot of tv & movies, but I think he's pretty bored of that. We both look forward to when he starts working.

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

While waiting, my husband has been cooking (and eating) a lot, meeting all the neighbors (who I hadn't met in over 5 years of living here), and starting in a few weeks, taking some college courses.

He also watches a lot of tv & movies, but I think he's pretty bored of that. We both look forward to when he starts working.

Do you guys think that it is alright to go ahead and start applying for jobs...or its too early for that??.... I was think to start applying in advance due to the fact that it takes a while for employer to process all the resumes...but it can be a bit risky in case I could possible get a job earlier than I get my EAD....

ROC

--/--/---- - NOA1

Do you guys think that it is alright to go ahead and start applying for jobs...or its too early for that??.... I was think to start applying in advance due to the fact that it takes a while for employer to process all the resumes...but it can be a bit risky in case I could possible get a job earlier than I get my EAD....

I am also waiting for my EAD and have been browsing some job postings online. I just don't want to risk sending applications now.

FAE :luv:

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I think my husband started sending out resumes about a month or so before he got his GC. He was finishing his Master's thesis before that so he was quite busy and it was a good break for him.

Another option is to check into your local community center. Often they offer a variety of classes like pottery, dance, art, etc. and some of them are free. If there is a community college locally they might also offer some classes to interest you and keep you busy short term while you wait for a job.

Good luck. I can only imagine how frustrating it can be for you!

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

To the OP,

This thread has a lot of ideas too: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=232594

Hang in there you guys! :thumbs:

Nov 6, 2012 N-400 mailed

Nov 7, 2012 N-400 delivered to Phoenix lockbox, signed by Arndt & case priority date

Nov 9, 2012 Case Touched, NOA date

Nov 13, 2012 Got text/e-mail with case number & the check was cashed :)

Nov 14, 2012 Case updated online to say biometrics apt. notice is on its way!

Nov 16, 2012 Received NOA & biometrics apt. letter

Nov 28, 2012 Biometrics apt.

Jan 4, 2013 In line for interview!

Jan 5, 2013 Scheduled for interview!

Jan 10, 2013 Received interview letter

Jan 19, 2013 Received yellow letter dated 1/16 asking me to bring more passport pics to the interview

Feb 11, 2013 Interview

Mar 8, 2013 Got an online update - oath scheduled!

Mar 13, 2013 Oath letter received

Mar 22, 2013 Oath! Officially an American citizen!

I was wondering how other people handle this waiting period without being able to drive, work, travel, and basically function like a normal human being.... :whistle:

I am trying to be all patient and calm about all this waiting part but sometimes I just get really angry about it...

I am also always trying to keep myself busy around the house... by cooking nice meals and new recipes all the time for my hubby, by helping him with school tests and such, reading, cleaning, learning....etc.... many little things that are fun but which gets old from time to time.....

Do you mind sharing your experience on this topic?

Thank you

Me and Tahoma travelled a lot and explored 4 National Parks. I also tried to learn cooking. In between our travels, I did self-review of nursing subjects in preparation for my RN licensure exam. I took the exam few months ago and passed it.

You may want to explore your neighborhood too, but most of all, enjoy the days that you are not yet working.

~Chinook

Edited by Tahoma

To the OP,

This thread has a lot of ideas too: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=232594

Hang in there you guys! :thumbs:

Thank you for the link Marie! Its the same topic pretty much....with many good ideas for us who are waiting....

I don't know how I could miss it ...I usually spend a lot of time on Visa Journey lately.

And it really makes me feel much better to know that so many people out there are actually sharing the same feelings as I do...

I really don't understand why there are so many restrictions especially when it comes to employment for those with K1 visas...we already had to wait long enough with visa applications and interviews and bunch of paperwork.... it's ridiculous!

I miss walking through the city as I used to do a lot in Europe though..... when it's not necessarily to drive when deciding to go shopping or work....

I am also sure that good things are coming for everyone of us in here waiting....especially when we reached already this stage of our visa journey... so keep staying positive about it!!! :thumbs:

ROC

--/--/---- - NOA1

Thank you for the link Marie! Its the same topic pretty much....with many good ideas for us who are waiting....

I don't know how I could miss it ...I usually spend a lot of time on Visa Journey lately.

And it really makes me feel much better to know that so many people out there are actually sharing the same feelings as I do...

I really don't understand why there are so many restrictions especially when it comes to employment for those with K1 visas...we already had to wait long enough with visa applications and interviews and bunch of paperwork.... it's ridiculous!

I miss walking through the city as I used to do a lot in Europe though..... when it's not necessarily to drive when deciding to go shopping or work....

I am also sure that good things are coming for everyone of us in here waiting....especially when we reached already this stage of our visa journey... so keep staying positive about it!!! :thumbs:

The thread was hiding away in the UK regional forum... :blush:

I really empathize with you guys the wait is really tough - I found it wasn't so much finding things to do it was finding things to do that don't cost much money after the wedding and paperwork expenses... But hang in there I just got my EAD a few days ago and it's well worth the wait!

Good Luck & hope your AOS is fast! :thumbs:

Nov 6, 2012 N-400 mailed

Nov 7, 2012 N-400 delivered to Phoenix lockbox, signed by Arndt & case priority date

Nov 9, 2012 Case Touched, NOA date

Nov 13, 2012 Got text/e-mail with case number & the check was cashed :)

Nov 14, 2012 Case updated online to say biometrics apt. notice is on its way!

Nov 16, 2012 Received NOA & biometrics apt. letter

Nov 28, 2012 Biometrics apt.

Jan 4, 2013 In line for interview!

Jan 5, 2013 Scheduled for interview!

Jan 10, 2013 Received interview letter

Jan 19, 2013 Received yellow letter dated 1/16 asking me to bring more passport pics to the interview

Feb 11, 2013 Interview

Mar 8, 2013 Got an online update - oath scheduled!

Mar 13, 2013 Oath letter received

Mar 22, 2013 Oath! Officially an American citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.