VisaJourney.com Logo
Gallery      Form Downloads      Example Forms      Processing Times      Embassy Info      Reviews: Embassy/USCIS & POE      Affiliates     Members

Latest VJ Member Visa Approvals - Congratulations!

blank avatarAmanda & Justin
K1 Visa
Canada
Emily & Friday
K1 Visa
Nigeria
blank avatarR & A
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Poland
Grecia & Thomas
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
France
meee & herrr
K1 Visa
India
Todd & Beth
K1 Visa
Philippines
blank avatarSammy & Olly
K1 Visa
Nigeria
blank avatarStephen & Gloria
K1 Visa
Philippines
blank avatarPralines & Cheese
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
France
Kimberly & Yader
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Nicaragua

Visa Interviews Today: Good Luck!!

Jacqueline & Jeff
K1 Visa
Canada
blank avatarR & M
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
El Salvador
blank avatarColleen & Napoleon
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
El Salvador
M & D
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Poland
blank avatarAlicia & Chris
K1 Visa
United Kingdom

• Please log in to reply

passport - maiden name, green card -new name

#1 Stepha

Stepha

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:10 PM

I've just received my Green Card and we would like to travel to Japan this spring which should be no problem. Still my passport is on my maiden name and the Embassy ceased processing any applications for renewal of passports for the moment .
Is it possible to travel like this + marriage certificate? Should there be any problem? Has anyone else been in this situation?
check out my online shop: www.justchic.etsy.com

07-10-2009 POE Washington
07-29-2009 applied for SSN
07-30-2009 civil ceremony

08-13-2009 AOS sent to USCIS
08-16-2009 AOS received by USCIS
08-19-2009 NOA 1 for AP, EAD, GC
08-24-2009 touch AP
09-11-2009 GC file transferred to CSC

09-23-2009 SSN arrived by mail
09-24-2009 Biometrics for EAD, GC
09-24-2009 touch EAD
09-25-2009 touch GC
11-20-2009 infopass appointment-they will generate a service request to expedite my EAD
12-09-2009 phoned USCIS, infopass lady did nothing!!
I got 2 Service Request Numbers for AP & EAD
12-09-2009 CRIS e-mail reply: EAD: "additional reviews are performed" - deadline 6 months
12-14-2009 CRIS e-mail reply :AP: "reviews" - deadline 60 days
12-14-2009 contacted the senator about the EAD
12-15-2009 touch: GC & AP. should I expect some approvals ?:) or am I too optimistic ?:(
12-16-2009 another touch
12-21-2009 EAD & AP approved OMG!! Is it really true? :)
12-26-2009 AP arrived by mail
12-28-2009 second e-mail about the approval of EAD
12-30-2009 GC APPROVED!!!!!!
12-31-2009 GC ordered
01-12-2010 GC received yuppie!!!

#2 callas

callas

• Pip

• Group: Members

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:06 PM

So in the past, this was easy - you book your ticket in your passport name. However, this last December when I came back through to the US with my passport in my married name but my green card in my maiden name, with plane tickets issued in my married name, the US immigration officer at the border advised me that there's a new DHS program whereby your plane ticket name has to match your identification name; for re-entry into the US even though you need a passport, it's the green card that establishes your residency and not your passport, and he advised that I have my green card changed prior to further travel (or issue tickets in my maiden name, which then the passport/ticket name don't match and you can imagine the hassles now).

What a pita this is. I've spoken to USCIS and i've been to the San Francisco field office, where USCIS confirmed the officer's account and the SF field office denied it. I'm going to change my green card since i'm no longer conditional, but it's currently a 4 month process, and you shouldn't be leaving the country in the meantime. FYI. I'd suggest you visit your local field office and get their take; i'm inclined to trust the border folks but with conflicting stories it's becoming difficult to assess which is true.

#3 Anh map

Anh map

K1 > AOS > ROC > USC

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:23 PM

Book international tickets in the name that is on your passport. They have to match.

My wife left JFK last Saturday to visit her family in Vietnam. Passport and tickets in her maiden name, GC in married name. No problems.

She does have a copy of our marriage certificate just in case she needs it when she comes back in to the US.

#4 Krikit

Krikit

Veni, Vidi, Velcro (I came, I saw, I stuck around)

• Group: Members, Global Mod

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:06 AM

My passport is in my former name (and, subsequently, any tickets I may purchase) and my greencard is in my married name. I have travelled numerous times out of the country (20+) over the past 3.25 years and have never encountered a problem with reentry. I did carry my marriage certificate with me the first few times but now I don't bother. Once they swipe your greencard they have your former name and data which connect the two anyway.
Posted Image

#5 thongd4me

thongd4me

Solid Gold Member

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

My passport is in my former name (and, subsequently, any tickets I may purchase) and my greencard is in my married name. I have travelled numerous times out of the country (20+) over the past 3.25 years and have never encountered a problem with reentry. I did carry my marriage certificate with me the first few times but now I don't bother. Once they swipe your greencard they have your former name and data which connect the two anyway.

When your Canadian passport comes up for renewal will you change your name or leave it as is?

In Thailand it would be preferable for her to keep her Thai name because if she changed it there
might be some downside risk to the land she owns as a Thai citizen. They don't want
Thai citizens to control land in Thailand as proxies for foreigners; it's kinda complicated but
we would not want to run those kinds of risks. I didn't buy any of that land or seek to convert
it to my use but the Thai government is looking for those kind of things.

#6 Stepha

Stepha

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:02 PM

Thank you so much for your replies, I'm not so worried anymore. It is possible!
check out my online shop: www.justchic.etsy.com

07-10-2009 POE Washington
07-29-2009 applied for SSN
07-30-2009 civil ceremony

08-13-2009 AOS sent to USCIS
08-16-2009 AOS received by USCIS
08-19-2009 NOA 1 for AP, EAD, GC
08-24-2009 touch AP
09-11-2009 GC file transferred to CSC

09-23-2009 SSN arrived by mail
09-24-2009 Biometrics for EAD, GC
09-24-2009 touch EAD
09-25-2009 touch GC
11-20-2009 infopass appointment-they will generate a service request to expedite my EAD
12-09-2009 phoned USCIS, infopass lady did nothing!!
I got 2 Service Request Numbers for AP & EAD
12-09-2009 CRIS e-mail reply: EAD: "additional reviews are performed" - deadline 6 months
12-14-2009 CRIS e-mail reply :AP: "reviews" - deadline 60 days
12-14-2009 contacted the senator about the EAD
12-15-2009 touch: GC & AP. should I expect some approvals ?:) or am I too optimistic ?:(
12-16-2009 another touch
12-21-2009 EAD & AP approved OMG!! Is it really true? :)
12-26-2009 AP arrived by mail
12-28-2009 second e-mail about the approval of EAD
12-30-2009 GC APPROVED!!!!!!
12-31-2009 GC ordered
01-12-2010 GC received yuppie!!!

#7 Krikit

Krikit

Veni, Vidi, Velcro (I came, I saw, I stuck around)

• Group: Members, Global Mod

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:12 PM

When your Canadian passport comes up for renewal will you change your name or leave it as is?

In Thailand it would be preferable for her to keep her Thai name because if she changed it there
might be some downside risk to the land she owns as a Thai citizen. They don't want
Thai citizens to control land in Thailand as proxies for foreigners; it's kinda complicated but
we would not want to run those kinds of risks. I didn't buy any of that land or seek to convert
it to my use but the Thai government is looking for those kind of things.

I renewed my passport last year and kept my former name.
Posted Image

#8 hannah_24ph

hannah_24ph

• PipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:47 PM

When you travel to Japan, bring your marriage certificate...because u need it when u re=enter back in the US since your green card last name doesn't match with your passport's last name to avoid hassles and interrogations especially now the security is getting tighter due to recent issues of the attempted bombing on plane.

Back to Top ↑

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.