hobokenworkingman

Obtaining Police clearance certificate in India (Chennai embassy)

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

INDIA visa/green card process specific Issue:

This is a question that is more specific for the visa/green card process in India. At the US embassy website in Chennai, India, it says you need to obtain a police clearance certificate for your final immigration interview (immigrant visas). If your passport has been obtained within 6 months, then you just need to get one from the local passport office (http://chennai.usconsulate.gov/immigrantstous/glossary-of-iv-documents-and-terms.html#PCC). I'm just wondering if this is all that is involved and nothing more. Anyone gone through this? Thanks

Once in awhile, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale - My beautiful wife Soni
Timeline:
USCIS: 10-06-2009: I-130 rec'd by USCIS; 03-16-2010: I-130 APPROVAL (after 5+ friggin months of torture, agony and waiting!)
NVC:
04-29-2010: INTERVIEW ASSIGNED FOR JUNE 10TH IN CHENNAI CONSULATE, INDIA; 06-10-2010: INTERVIEW - VISA APPROVED!!!!!
06-18-2010: Entered US - NEW YORK CITY and 08-16-2010: GC received! (nearly 2 months after PoE) woo hoo!
AOS for permanent 10 yr green card:

04-02-2012: NOA of I-751 and 1 yr extension of temp green card

05-03-2012: Biometrics appointment

12-18-2012: 10 yr Green card approved; 12-22-2012: Green card rec'd

N-400 citizenship:

06-19-2013: N-400 mailed; 06-22-2013: N-400 rec'd at Dallas lockbox

10-3-2013: Interview date - APPROVED!

10-18-2013: NATURALIZED - We are done with USCIS!!!

Filed: Timeline

This is a question that is more specific for the visa/green card process in India. At the US embassy website in Chennai, India, it says you need to obtain a police clearance certificate for your final immigration interview (immigrant visas). If your passport has been obtained within 6 months, then you just need to get one from the local passport office (http://chennai.usconsulate.gov/immigrantstous/glossary-of-iv-documents-and-terms.html#PCC). I'm just wondering if this is all that is involved and nothing more. Anyone gone through this? Thanks

yes get a police clearance from the passport office, and also get a pcc frm ur city police office (local)... both r needed!

Timeline
yes get a police clearance from the passport office, and also get a pcc frm ur city police office (local)... both r needed!

According to the Chennai (and Mumbai) Embassy websites, you just need to get it from the local passport office, IF your passport was issued within the last 6 months. If the passport is over 6 months old, then it has to be BOTH places like you mentioned above - from the local passport office AND from local police office. Please see below for the requirement from the Chennai embassy:

Each visa applicant over the age of 16 must present original police certificates. Police certificates must cover the entire period of the applicant's residence in any area. The term "police certificate" means a certification by appropriate police authorities stating what their records show concerning each applicant, including all arrests, the reasons for the arrests, and the disposition of each case of which there is a record. Police certificates from certain countries are considered unobtainable. For more information on police certificate requirements see the chart below:

If the applicant... AND... THEN the applicant needs a clearance from...

is residing in India and his or her Indian passport was issued within past 6 months is 16 years old or older 1. Passport office

passport was issued more than 6 months prior to visa application is 16 years old or older 1. Passport office

2. The district police office serving the applicant's place of residence

is an Indian passport holder and is staying outside India is 16 years old or older 1. Applicant's local Embassy or Consulate confirming he/she has no criminal record (a statement from Embassy or Consulate is acceptable)

is an Indian passport holder and currently resident in India, but has lived in another country (except for the U. S.). lived in the foreign country for twelve or more months after reaching the age of 16 years. 1. Passport office

2. District police office serving the applicant's place of residence (if the passport was issued more than 6 months prior to visa application).

3. Country of previous residence, if available. More information can be found at http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/

reciprocity/index.htm

is a non-Indian immigrant visa applicant residing in India is 16 years old or older District police station serving the area of residence

is a foreign (non-Indian) applicant applying outside India is 16 years old or older not available

In my case, my wife's passport is pretty new and was issued at the end of October 2009 (less than 6 months), so according to the website, I'd only need her to get the PCC from the local passport office. I'm just wondering if anyone is in the similar situation and got a PCC from their local passport office if their passports were issued within the last 6 months. Thanks

Once in awhile, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale - My beautiful wife Soni
Timeline:
USCIS: 10-06-2009: I-130 rec'd by USCIS; 03-16-2010: I-130 APPROVAL (after 5+ friggin months of torture, agony and waiting!)
NVC:
04-29-2010: INTERVIEW ASSIGNED FOR JUNE 10TH IN CHENNAI CONSULATE, INDIA; 06-10-2010: INTERVIEW - VISA APPROVED!!!!!
06-18-2010: Entered US - NEW YORK CITY and 08-16-2010: GC received! (nearly 2 months after PoE) woo hoo!

N-400 citizenship:

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

you are right.

According to the Chennai (and Mumbai) Embassy websites, you just need to get it from the local passport office, IF your passport was issued within the last 6 months. If the passport is over 6 months old, then it has to be BOTH places like you mentioned above - from the local passport office AND from local police office. Please see below for the requirement from the Chennai embassy:

Each visa applicant over the age of 16 must present original police certificates. Police certificates must cover the entire period of the applicant's residence in any area. The term "police certificate" means a certification by appropriate police authorities stating what their records show concerning each applicant, including all arrests, the reasons for the arrests, and the disposition of each case of which there is a record. Police certificates from certain countries are considered unobtainable. For more information on police certificate requirements see the chart below:

If the applicant... AND... THEN the applicant needs a clearance from...

is residing in India and his or her Indian passport was issued within past 6 months is 16 years old or older 1. Passport office

passport was issued more than 6 months prior to visa application is 16 years old or older 1. Passport office

2. The district police office serving the applicant's place of residence

is an Indian passport holder and is staying outside India is 16 years old or older 1. Applicant's local Embassy or Consulate confirming he/she has no criminal record (a statement from Embassy or Consulate is acceptable)

is an Indian passport holder and currently resident in India, but has lived in another country (except for the U. S.). lived in the foreign country for twelve or more months after reaching the age of 16 years. 1. Passport office

2. District police office serving the applicant's place of residence (if the passport was issued more than 6 months prior to visa application).

3. Country of previous residence, if available. More information can be found at http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/

reciprocity/index.htm

is a non-Indian immigrant visa applicant residing in India is 16 years old or older District police station serving the area of residence

is a foreign (non-Indian) applicant applying outside India is 16 years old or older not available

In my case, my wife's passport is pretty new and was issued at the end of October 2009 (less than 6 months), so according to the website, I'd only need her to get the PCC from the local passport office. I'm just wondering if anyone is in the similar situation and got a PCC from their local passport office if their passports were issued within the last 6 months. Thanks

Mailed I-130 overnight-8/28/2013

Delivered to the USCIS PO Box Chicago 8/29/2013

NOA1 date-8/29/2013 Got as of 9/4/2013

Transfer Date : 2/24/2014

Transferred to Vermont

NOA2 3/7/2014

NVC received 3/19/2014

Case number Assigned 4/18/2014

DS-261 filed 4/26/2014

AOS paid 4/28/2014

AOS shows paid 4/30/2014

IV paid 4/30/2014

AOS and IV packages overnighted sent 5/2/2014

Packages at NVC 5/5/2014, system date of 5/7/2014

Case Complete 6/2/2014

Interview assigned 6/11/2014

Interview 7/18/2014 at Mumbai, India

POE 8/28/2014

Twins-7/19/2015 (Boy and Girl)!!

I-751 mailed in 6/1/2016 (two day priority)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline
you are right.

My passport was Issued before six months and so I submitted only PCC from Passport Office and I didn't submit my PCC from District Police Office.

NVC sent a letter saying that local PCC had to be sent.

Did anybody go through the same situation?

Any Ideas ....what should be done inorder that my case completes asap.

We sent a mail replying that my passport is Issued before sixmonths. but what else could be better to do in my case??

Thanks in Advance.

13th JAN 2010: DS230 received by NVC

23rd Jan 2010: Local PCC missing per AVR.

24th Jan 2010: Emailed NVC that it’s not needed.

26thJan 2010: Received a letter in Email from NVC that District Police clearance is missing

27th Jan 2010: Gave reply to NVC that it’s not needed & will be submitted to NVC at the Interview.

29thJan 2010: NVC Case complete!!!!!!!!!!!!

9th Feb 2010: Interview Scheduled for 2-MAR-2010 @Chennai.

Approved!!!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

It has to be WITHIN 6 months. Not before.

Surely you understand the difference between "within" and "before?"

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Timeline
It has to be WITHIN 6 months. Not before.

Surely you understand the difference between "within" and "before?"

Exactly - my wife's passport was issued at the end of October (22nd or 23rd, I think) 2009. So in her case, just the local passport office (which she'll be doing Monday) is enough, b/c they have her records on file since it was just 3 months ago. The PCC obtained is valid for a year, according to chennai's packet 4 instructions.

Timeline:
NVC:

N-400 citizenship:

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I had the same situation ... long long ago ..... in a country far away(India) .... :-) . My passport was "within 6 months" ( cause I had lost my passport 5 days before my interview :-) and had to get a duplicate one.) , and I submitted only the PCC from the local Police Station. NOT from the Passport Office. You dont need one from the passport office because the Passport office have recently done a background check on you before they issued your passport??? Make sense??!!

Word of caution though .... this was seven years ago, there`s a possibility that things have changed. Write an email to the Embassy.

Prabhjot

Edited by jessarien

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi,

We have been living in Varanasi (UP) for the last few years, but my husband's permanent address is in Faridabad (Haryana) near Delhi. We are immigrating to the US (via DCF from Delhi).

I know that we will need the PCC form (which is the Form No. 2 from the Regional Passport Office) from Delhi. On that form it asks for present address, permanent address, and other addresses that you have lived at for more than 6 months.

My question is... Will the Delhi Regional Passport Office only issue the PCC (Form 2) AFTER I show them a local police clearance from Varanasi? We went there today (the RPO) and the guy at the enquiry window said that if we have two different addresses on the Form 2, then we will have to get another Form 2 PCC from Lucknow because it wouldn't be possible from Varanasi... that seems really dumb to me and the guy was a jerk anyway and lied about the forms not being available... so... I am wondering...

How do I get a Police Clearance from Varanasi? Which office to I go to? What form do I use (or do I write a letter)? I found a sample one for the state of Haryana here http://haryanapolice.nic.in/download_forms...CATION_FORM.pdf. No info online about VNS or UP.

Also, since the permanent address is in Faridabad, Haryana... will we have to get a separate police check from there, or will the Regional Passport Office one cover that?

Thanks!

Lijo & Sarah

• 4 months later...
Timeline

My hubby's passport was issued in May of 2009 and we submitted our original application in September of 2009 so that is within 6 months right? I only sent in the one from the RPO...

Personal Journey

2009-01-09 : Met online

2009-08-20 : Wedding in Bangalore, India

2011-06-14 : Hubby finally makes the permanent move to USA

2011-07-20 : Two Pink Lines (Oops!)

2012-04-02 : Our daughter Lili is born!

NVC ~CR-1 Visa~ Journey

2010-02-01 : NVC case # assigned

2010-02-05 : DS-3032/AOS Bill Generated

2010-02-07 : DS-3032 e-mailed; AOS/I-864 Bill (paid online $70)

2010-02-12 : e-mailed DS-3032 accepted by NVC

2010-03-05 : Sent In Completed I-864

2010-03-15 : IV Fee bill generated, paid online $400

2010-06-17 : Sent In Completed DS-230 Packet (took forever to get PCC and BC)

2010-06-18 : DS-230 Signed for by NVC

2010-06-23 : AVR updates "The checklist letter response has been received. Wait 6-8 weeks and you will be notified.

2010-08-06 : Sign in Failed: Finally

2010-08-10 : AVR updates "The case was complete on August 9..."

2010-08-13 : NVC e-mailed an interview date for September 2 2010 9AM - per our request--rescheduled for Oct 4 2010

2010-09-23 : Medical scheduled

2010-10-04 : Interview Failed - Required additional documetation because of sponser job change

2010-10-10 : Submitted additional paperwork to VFS in Bangalore

2010-10-21 : Received notice that Visa is APPROVED!!!

2010-10-24 : Visa in hand

2010-12-23 : US entry

2011-02-14 : Received Green Card

2011-02-15 : Welcome letter sent

USCIS ~Removal of Conditions~ Journey

2012-09-30 : I-751 package sent via USPS (Vermont)

2012-10-05 : Check Cashed

2012-10-09 : Received NOA Letter dated 10-03-2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

SMS - I-130 ? no .

DS-230 ? Maybe , Maybe not.

'original application' always a 'DS-230' -

'petition' is the I-130

I think you'll need both police clearances, sorry. It's my understanding the calendar runs from 'passport issuance' to 'interview day'. IMO, yer way past the 6 month mark.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

My hubby's passport was issued in May of 2009 and we submitted our original application in September of 2009 so that is within 6 months right? I only sent in the one from the RPO...

Wow your situation is very similar to mine - i also met my wife online and she's from Bangalore. had the same process - 2.5 months of courtship before going to b'lore and getting hitched! Fortunately for us, things worked out well (with a little delay in the i-130 approval stage) and we're both now back in the US just 2 weeks back!

now to your PCC case, in all likelihood, even though the PCC is valid for 1 yr, you will have to get the RPO and local PCC (both). the RPO b/c chennai wants that PCC to be obtained within 6 months of your INTERVIEW DATE! (not the original filing time). You will also need the local PCC since your hubby's passport is over a year old. but the good news is that B'lore RPO is pretty good in getting out PCCs (jst make absolutely sure that you write the words "for US visa" on the top right hand corner of that form 2 for the PCC - the idiots at the passport office will unnecessarily hold your application up if you dont and no it does say to write it like that anywhere - one of the little annoying things that my wife found out the hard way). you will not have to bribe anyone at the RPO for that. OTOH, the local PCC - yes i believe the going rate is 200 Rs, possibly more. we had to shell out 1000 rs for the KR puram station PCC.

hope this helps. Best of luck! :thumbs:

Timeline:
NVC:

N-400 citizenship:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

i just got mine done..from bglr commisioner office too..

what a shabby, sloppy piece of paper they have given..and full of stapled marks cris-cross on the photo! i hope NVC guys dont faint!

• 5 weeks later...
Timeline

OK, I am still not understanding this PCC issue..My husband lived in 3 places in india after age 16...Gangarampur from birth to age 17..Kolkata from age 17 to age 22 and since age 22 he has lived in Bangalore..residing in the exact same house since 2007..What i sent to NVC was the RPO from Bangalore along with original affidavit of the passport application from January 2009. What else will he need?

Personal Journey

2009-01-09 : Met online

2009-08-20 : Wedding in Bangalore, India

2011-06-14 : Hubby finally makes the permanent move to USA

2011-07-20 : Two Pink Lines (Oops!)

2012-04-02 : Our daughter Lili is born!

NVC ~CR-1 Visa~ Journey

2010-02-01 : NVC case # assigned

2010-02-05 : DS-3032/AOS Bill Generated

2010-02-07 : DS-3032 e-mailed; AOS/I-864 Bill (paid online $70)

2010-02-12 : e-mailed DS-3032 accepted by NVC

2010-03-05 : Sent In Completed I-864

2010-03-15 : IV Fee bill generated, paid online $400

2010-06-17 : Sent In Completed DS-230 Packet (took forever to get PCC and BC)

2010-06-18 : DS-230 Signed for by NVC

2010-06-23 : AVR updates "The checklist letter response has been received. Wait 6-8 weeks and you will be notified.

2010-08-06 : Sign in Failed: Finally

2010-08-10 : AVR updates "The case was complete on August 9..."

2010-08-13 : NVC e-mailed an interview date for September 2 2010 9AM - per our request--rescheduled for Oct 4 2010

2010-09-23 : Medical scheduled

2010-10-04 : Interview Failed - Required additional documetation because of sponser job change

2010-10-10 : Submitted additional paperwork to VFS in Bangalore

2010-10-21 : Received notice that Visa is APPROVED!!!

2010-10-24 : Visa in hand

2010-12-23 : US entry

2011-02-14 : Received Green Card

2011-02-15 : Welcome letter sent

USCIS ~Removal of Conditions~ Journey

2012-09-30 : I-751 package sent via USPS (Vermont)

2012-10-05 : Check Cashed

2012-10-09 : Received NOA Letter dated 10-03-2012

• 2 weeks later...

Since the time the OP posted the original request, the contents of the Chennai consulate

Web site (http://chennai.usconsulate.gov/immigrantstous/glossary-of-iv-documents-and-terms.html#PCC)

seems to have changed. Now it simply says:

Indian Citizens Age 16 and above, Residing In India:

All Indian IV applicants aged 16 and above, residing in India, should obtain police certificates from the local passport office.

There is no mention of obtaining a police certificate directly from the

police if the passport is over 6 months old. Can anyone

confirm that the web site has, in fact, changed and that there is no need

to get a police certificate from the local police?

Also, any experiences of the getting the PCC from the RPO in

Hyderabad?

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.