fumes

Applying for Citizenship while owing back taxes

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

So in 3 months I will be eligible to file for my citizenship. We do owe back taxes and we are paying it under a monthly installment plan approved by the irs. Would me applying for citizenship be affected by the situation explained above?

Thank u guys

FINAL JOURNEY N-400 APP

03/08/2014 : N-400 Application Sent with Fee Waiver Request

03/11/2014 : Application Delivered (waiting)

03/20/2014 NOA

03/23/2014 Finally email and text confirmation my case has been accepted and my fee waiver approved!

03/27/2014 Fee Waiver Approval letter came in the mail

03/11-2014: Priority Date
03/26/2014: Biometric Letter Sent Date
04/172014: Biometric Date
04/22/2014: In line for Interview

04/28/2014: Email about interview letter being mailed. Almost there

05/02/2014: Interview letter came
06-02-2014: Interview Date >>>>Passed!

06/03/2014 In line for Oath Scheduling! (Almost there)

07/03-2014: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline
So in 3 months I will be eligible to file for my citizenship. We do owe back taxes and we are paying it under a monthly installment plan approved by the irs. Would me applying for citizenship be affected by the situation explained above?

Thank u guys

It depends on how much you owe IRS. Not paying taxes on time means that you are a irresponsible citizen, which can lead to the denial of your application for naturalization. You need to prove to the DHS/CBP Naturalization Officer that you are consistent with your monthly payment. If it is approved by IRS, you might want to bring a proof of approval as well as receipts of your monthly payment.

It depends on how much you owe IRS. Not paying taxes on time means that you are a irresponsible citizen, which can lead to the denial of your application for naturalization. You need to prove to the DHS/CBP Naturalization Officer that you are consistent with your monthly payment. If it is approved by IRS, you might want to bring a proof of approval as well as receipts of your monthly payment.

Not necessarily, as extenuating circumstances may exist that may be forgiven. Individuals that do not or cannot pay Federal tax are not automatically suspect for wrongdoing, until proven.

Moreover, this individual has an installment agreement in place, thus the "account" is in good standing.

Edited by William33

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Thank u guys

As long as you have filed all of your tax returns since you became an LPR, and you have a payment plan with the IRS for what you already owe, there should not be a problem. You are doing everything legally.

Tax problems with USCIS will come from not filing taxes or not paying taxes you already owe, as evidenced by part 10(A).4 and 10(A).5 on form N400.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
As long as you have filed all of your tax returns since you became an LPR, and you have a payment plan with the IRS for what you already owe, there should not be a problem. You are doing everything legally.

Tax problems with USCIS will come from not filing taxes or not paying taxes you already owe, as evidenced by part 10(A).4 and 10(A).5 on form N400.

Ha, a subject on WPR radio this morning on how the federal government is responsible for closing down thousands of smaller businesses due to taxes. Cash poor, but so-called asset rich, like inventory on the shelves that can't be sold with our poor economy that is considered by the feds to be, PROFIT. Over a ten year period, literally thousands of automotive rebuilding shops were put out of business because the IRS valued worthless cores at their retail value. Took that long to settle this in the courts that cores were worthless until rebuilt and should only be valued at a few cents, in other words, they were junk. But that didn't bring the thousands back into business after they were bankrupted by the IRS. Even today many businesses are being put out of business due to our unfair tax laws, and it's finally bringing brought to the attention of just a small handful of congressman. In my corporate days, was driven nuts by valuing work in process, our accounting cost far exceeded the value of this work in process. But had to be done to satisfy the IRS.

Probably nothing to do with your post with the exception that you are not the only ones that owe back taxes, and maybe you are stuck with inventory you cannot sell with a poor economy, but have to pay huge taxes on it. And besides paying back the IRS, bet you are also paying 1% per month on the unpaid balance you owe, way higher than the interest permitted by law in other cases. But you are making the effort so should not reflect on your application.

Become a USC and take an active interest in our political system, a democracy is only as good as the citizen participants. Can't really say anything good about the natural born citizens, most interest in the super bowl than what's going on in their country. Wife saw her country go to hell with Chavez in Venezuela, and questioning why we had a president that broke over 654 laws of our US Constitution and getting away with it. It's the citizens that let ####### like this happen.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline
Probably nothing to do with your post with the exception that you are not the only ones that owe back taxes, and maybe you are stuck with inventory you cannot sell with a poor economy, but have to pay huge taxes on it. And besides paying back the IRS, bet you are also paying 1% per month on the unpaid balance you owe, way higher than the interest permitted by law in other cases. But you are making the effort so should not reflect on your application.

Become a USC and take an active interest in our political system, a democracy is only as good as the citizen participants. Can't really say anything good about the natural born citizens, most interest in the super bowl than what's going on in their country. Wife saw her country go to hell with Chavez in Venezuela, and questioning why we had a president that broke over 654 laws of our US Constitution and getting away with it. It's the citizens that let ####### like this happen.

Not sure why you quoted me there. I didn't say I owe taxes. I've been filing US taxes since 1993, my first year here.

If you meant that post for the OP, probably you want to hit reply on the person your responding to next time or just hit add reply at the bottom without quoting.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Not sure why you quoted me there. I didn't say I owe taxes. I've been filing US taxes since 1993, my first year here.

If you meant that post for the OP, probably you want to hit reply on the person your responding to next time or just hit add reply at the bottom without quoting.

Sorry about that, was intended for the OP.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.