tap3841

SSN and Marriage

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

According to the K-1 flowchart on visajourney it says you should apply for a SSN before marriage then change your name on the SSN afterwards. However, in the state I live you do not need a SSN to get married.

Is it possibly to just get married first then apply for a SSN? We plan on getting married a few days after her arrival to the states.

thanks in advance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

That is what my wife and I did. That way everything going forward was done in the married name, no changes needed.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
According to the K-1 flowchart on visajourney it says you should apply for a SSN before marriage then change your name on the SSN afterwards. However, in the state I live you do not need a SSN to get married.

Is it possibly to just get married first then apply for a SSN? We plan on getting married a few days after her arrival to the states.

thanks in advance.

I don't think it really matters. We are applying after the EAD arrived.

Happy Holiday from Minnesota!

thanks in advance.

The only real drawbacks in not having an SSN as soon as possible is that some states don't allow a spouse to be added to a bank account without one. Also, some insurance companies want it before putting your spouse on your health insurance policy, although ours worked around it.

K1 Filed: 4-1-2009 * Interview (approved): 10-21-2009 * POE: 11-1-2009 * Married: 11-29-2009

http://www.visajourn...009-k-1-filers/

-------------------

AOS Filed: 12-7-2009

AOS APPROVED! 2-27-2010 (no interview)

Greencard in hand: 3-4-2010

http://www.visajourn...ead/page__st__0

--------------------

ROC mailed to CSC 11-22-2011

Check cleared the bank 11-29-2011 (our 2nd anniversary) :)

Greencard received 6/15/2012 :)

November 2011 ROC Filers

N400 Filing (Citizenship for Ian) - Here we go!

Mailed 12-03-2012

Arrived at Phoenix SC 12-6-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

1-25-2013 Notice - Interview Scheduled for 3-4-2013

Oath 3-4-2013 Omaha Field Office

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
The only real drawbacks in not having an SSN as soon as possible is that some states don't allow a spouse to be added to a bank account without one. Also, some insurance companies want it before putting your spouse on your health insurance policy, although ours worked around it.

Yes, in additon, if your spouse wants to get financial aid to go to school. The number would have come in handy.

Happy Holidays from Minnesota

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

thanks in advance.

Yes, but why? Gt eher SSn before she unpacks her bags. You will not be able to change the name on her SS card until you have a green card or EAD in any case, so why wait?

1. Get off the plane

2. Next day, apply for SSN

3. Get married

4. Apply for AOS

5. After green card, go back to SS and change name on card at your leisure

The SSN comes in handy for bank accounts, insurance, education etc. There is no need to wait for it. Apply for the SS card in the name as on the passport, use the passport and K-1 as ID, DO NOT leave the SS office until your application is accepted and they give you the number to call to get your SSN the NEXT BUSINESS DAY. See a supervisor if you need to.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Yes, but why? Gt eher SSn before she unpacks her bags. You will not be able to change the name on her SS card until you have a green card or EAD in any case, so why wait?

1. Get off the plane

2. Next day, apply for SSN

3. Get married

4. Apply for AOS

5. After green card, go back to SS and change name on card at your leisure

The SSN comes in handy for bank accounts, insurance, education etc. There is no need to wait for it. Apply for the SS card in the name as on the passport, use the passport and K-1 as ID, DO NOT leave the SS office until your application is accepted and they give you the number to call to get your SSN the NEXT BUSINESS DAY. See a supervisor if you need to.

Well I planned on getting married then the following day going to the SSA office and applying for the card with her new name.

I don't see anywhere where you can get your number the next business day. How does it work?

thanks.

Timeline
Well I planned on getting married then the following day going to the SSA office and applying for the card with her new name.

I don't see anywhere where you can get your number the next business day. How does it work?

thanks.

What you are planning is a common mistake and the source for many problems with the SSN. The name on the card makes no difference. You need the NUMBER, which never changes. Then you can put the card away and forget about it. Doing what you suggest will likely result in endless headaches, I do not recommend it.

When you apply for the SSN ask the local office for the number you can call for your SSN. SSNs are generated overnight and available the next business day after applying. You should never have to wait more than 24 hours to get your SSN. The useless card will take a week or so to arrive. I lost my card in 1973, never replaced, haven't needed it for anyting since. Get the number, memorize the number and the rest is academic. Do it when you want.

I will save you a lot of headaches. DO NOT attempt to change her name on anything UNTIL you file the I-485. Then use the name you wish on the Green Card. AFTER you have the green card, change your name on everything else. Until then, get everything in her name exactly as it is in her passport, her official ID and the only official ID she has right now.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Timeline

Gary -

The card is not useless. It is required to meet the requirements of the I9. All persons who seek employment (alien or otherwise) need one to get hired.

You are self employed and have been so for many years (or so you state). The fact that you lost your card in 1973 is irrelevant to persons seeking employment.

+1 and 5 ***** to Gary.

It's great to offer advise to people who don't "get" it, but I admire your patience in continuing to holding your helping hand out when they start biting it.

I have my SS card for 18 years now and have never -- as in: not once -- shown it nor ever been asked to show it. All that matters is the number.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

+1 and 5 ***** to Gary.

It's great to offer advise to people who don't "get" it, but I admire your patience in continuing to holding your helping hand out when they start biting it.

I have my SS card for 18 years now and have never -- as in: not once -- shown it nor ever been asked to show it. All that matters is the number.

Have you tried getting a job in the last couple of years?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Agreed. At least in California, employers have to see the physical card before they can hire someone. Knowing the number isn't enough.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Actually I hire people all the time and NEVER, EVER ask to see the social security card. A passport or birth certificate meets the requirement for a citizen, the green card or EAD for a resident. Nothing else is needed (except maybe as noted by Jim in CA but I would never live there anyway, SS card or not)

Besides I never suggested they NOT change the name (she can always prove her name change with a marriage certificate anyway)

I suggest saving a LOT of headaches and changing the SS card name AFTER you have the green card. The SS Administration is rife with mouth-breathing, affirmitive action clerks paid by the pound to turn away people. Why complicate things for their untrained clerks? Just do it the easy way and save yourself arguing with idiots.

Seriously I lost my SS card in 1973 and have NEVER needed it since for any reason at any time. I still do not have one.

Gary And Alla

Actually I hire people all the time and NEVER, EVER ask to see the social security card. A passport or birth certificate meets the requirement for a citizen, the green card or EAD for a resident. Nothing else is needed (except maybe as noted by Jim in CA but I would never live there anyway, SS card or not)

Besides I never suggested they NOT change the name (she can always prove her name change with a marriage certificate anyway)

I suggest saving a LOT of headaches and changing the SS card name AFTER you have the green card. The SS Administration is rife with mouth-breathing, affirmitive action clerks paid by the pound to turn away people. Why complicate things for their untrained clerks? Just do it the easy way and save yourself arguing with idiots.

Seriously I lost my SS card in 1973 and have NEVER needed it since for any reason at any time. I still do not have one.

Gary -

As you maintain personnel records, I would suggest you re-acquaint yourself with the I-9 form, specifically the back of it.

While a US passport is adequate to satisfy the requirements of the I9 for US citizens, a birth certificate is not an acceptable document in and of itself. If a USC is producing a birth certificate to indicate employment authorization, they must still show you an identity document. Those USC's who do not possess a US passport will need a document from Column B and Column C. Most USC's produce a driver's license from Column B and a Social Security card from Column C. A birth certificate is acceptable in lieu of the Social Security card.

Aliens who have been successful in their status adjustment may do likewise. It is not necessary to show the green card to obtain employment if the alien has an identity document from Column B and a valid SS card. In fact, many aliens (including my husband) prefer not to produce their green card due to the expiration date on it.

Edited by rebeccajo

Timeline
Gary -

As you maintain personnel records, I would suggest you re-acquaint yourself with the I-9 form, specifically the back of it.

While a US passport is adequate to satisfy the requirements of the I9 for US citizens, a birth certificate is not an acceptable document in and of itself. If a USC is producing a birth certificate to indicate employment authorization, they must still show you an identity document. Those USC's who do not possess a US passport will need a document from Column B and Column C. Most USC's produce a driver's license from Column B and a Social Security card from Column C. A birth certificate is acceptable in lieu of the Social Security card.

Aliens who have been successful in their status adjustment may do likewise. It is not necessary to show the green card to obtain employment if the alien has an identity document from Column B and a valid SS card. In fact, many aliens (including my husband) prefer not to produce their green card due to the expiration date on it.

Gee Thanks RJ. I know how to do I-9s. Now the OP has his answer from me and the instrucions on how to fill out the I-9 from you.

Did you think the OP wanted you to instruct me on how to comply with the I-9 form? I have given the OP good advice on how to avoid a lot of headaches with morons in the SS administration, which was the point of the thread. Since you will always have the last word, I will allow you to babble more irrelevent BS and have your last word. The OP has the answer to his question. Anything else is typical RJ arguing anything possible with Gary to prove ...what? As usual, you are making much ado over nothing. At no point have I adivsed the OP not to get the card in the proper name, only WHEN to do so to avoid delays and hassels at SSA. I have also pointed out, truthfully, that it really is a fairly useless document in and of itself. If I haven't found a need for it in 35 years, what exactly is it good for? Just because a few individuals "prefer it" means nothing, The Green Card is the ultimate employment document. Expiration dates are irrelevent, Drivers lisences have expiration dates also, so what?

babble on.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.