flipper

6 months wait after a divorce

47 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone. My fiancee finally got her divorce finished, but in the state of Oklahoma there is a 6 month waiting period befor she can get married again in Oklahoma.

Should we wait, and file after this 6 months is up, or is it ok for us to file sooner if we plan on getting married in a state with a shorter wait period? Does USCIS even care?

Thanks.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello everyone. My fiancee finally got her divorce finished, but in the state of Oklahoma there is a 6 month waiting period befor she can get married again in Oklahoma.

Should we wait, and file after this 6 months is up, or is it ok for us to file sooner if we plan on getting married in a state with a shorter wait period? Does USCIS even care?

Thanks.

I think it matters what State you file from..... If it's Oklahoma, I would wait the (6) months.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
I think it matters what State you file from...
You think, or you know? Unless you know, please avoid speculating. OP, see this thread:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=229661

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

You think, or you know? Unless you know, please avoid speculating. OP, wait to hear from someone who actually knows.

No need to take people to task here, please.

OP, When a visa petition is filed, you must include "Intent to Marry" signed statements. You can't make these statements unless both parties are currently legally able to marry. You will just have to wait til the signatures are on that divorce decree. Why would you want to jump the gun and put the petition on shaky ground at square one?

A shortcut loophole to avoid the 6 month waiting period will not pay off down the road, and it wont help you sleep better either worrying about it.

Relax, and enjoy the journey. Good things come to those who wait (and do things right the first time).

Good luck and best wishes in your upcoming VJ. :star:

Edited by Hopp

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

You think, or you know? Unless you know, please avoid speculating. OP, see this thread:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=229661

When it comes to giving advice in the immigration process I THINK doesn't count!

Petitioner can submit a petition to USCIS when they both are legally free and clear to marry.

Edited by Dakine

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
When it comes to giving advice in the immigration process I THINK doesn't count!
Si, man, and a lot of genuinely bad advice is too prevalent here in the upper forums. THAT is why it's sometimes necessary to take people to task. "Peace." Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Wow, seems like things are just dog-eat-dog in today's world!

sledgehammer3.jpg

People's lives, proper expectations and future happiness is at stake. As such, "I think" is not appropriate. Best to wait for definitive advice. Without seeing the actual divorce decree an having a clear understanding of its meaning, you cannot give a definite answer.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Wow, seems like things are just dog-eat-dog in today's world!

sledgehammer3.jpg

People's lives, proper expectations and future happiness is at stake. As such, "I think" is not appropriate. Best to wait for definitive advice. Without seeing the actual divorce decree an having a clear understanding of its meaning, you cannot give a definite answer.

I gave a definite answer. You must be thinking of someone else. And the issue was, "Not what one says, but how he says it". We don't have to take people to task if they give a wrong or opinionated answer. We don't have to brow beat. But if a sledgehammer is the only tool in the toolbox, then that is what will be used.

reid_tynda_sledgehammer.jpg

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

You are free to marry in another state in less than 6 months as long as you meet the requirements of the other state but you cannot cohabit in the state of Oklahoma until the divorce decree is 6 months old.

The Oklahoma Statute you are concerned about is Title 43, Section 123.

§43-123. Remarriage and cohabitation - Appeal from judgment.

It shall be unlawful for either party to an action for divorce whose former husband or wife is living to marry in this state a person other than the divorced spouse within six (6) months from date of decree of divorce granted in this state, or to cohabit with such other person in this state during said period if the marriage took place in another state; and if an appeal be commenced from said decree, it shall be unlawful for either party to such cause to marry any other person and cohabit with such person in this state until the expiration of thirty (30) days from the date on which final judgment shall be rendered pursuant to such appeal. Any person violating the provisions of this section by such marriage shall be deemed guilty of the felony of bigamy. Any person violating the provisions of this section by such cohabitation shall be deemed guilty of the felony of adultery.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, only my opinion.

ANDY & MARICAR

N-400 Timeline

05/14/2012 - Mailed N-400 packet to Dallas/Lewisville Lockbox via Priority Mail.

05/21/2012 - NOA1

06/12/2012 - Biometrics

06/29/2012 - Interview Notice

08/06/2012 - Naturalization Interview in OKC PASSED!!!!!!!

09/28/2012 - OATH CEREMONY!!!!!!!

U.S. CITIZEN!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thanks.

Both parties must be "free to marry" at the time the petition is filed. Have your fiance(e) pose this question to his/her divorce attorney. There are too many legal aspects we do no tknow about to give an answer here

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Thanks.

Both parties must be "free to marry" at the time the petition is filed. Have your fiance(e) pose this question to his/her divorce attorney. There are too many legal aspects we do no tknow about to give an answer here

I live in a state where there is a 6 month requirement also. I phoned USCIS before we filed our petition and they said we could not file until I was legally free to marry.

BTW, my attorney sent a letter after my divorce was finalized saying, "You cannot legally marry anywhere in the world until the 6 month wait has expired."

Edited by Ian and Lisa

K1 Filed: 4-1-2009 * Interview (approved): 10-21-2009 * POE: 11-1-2009 * Married: 11-29-2009

http://www.visajourn...009-k-1-filers/

-------------------

AOS Filed: 12-7-2009

AOS APPROVED! 2-27-2010 (no interview)

Greencard in hand: 3-4-2010

http://www.visajourn...ead/page__st__0

--------------------

ROC mailed to CSC 11-22-2011

Check cleared the bank 11-29-2011 (our 2nd anniversary) :)

Greencard received 6/15/2012 :)

November 2011 ROC Filers

N400 Filing (Citizenship for Ian) - Here we go!

Mailed 12-03-2012

Arrived at Phoenix SC 12-6-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

1-25-2013 Notice - Interview Scheduled for 3-4-2013

Oath 3-4-2013 Omaha Field Office

Thanks.

I live in a state where there is a 6 month requirement also. I phoned USCIS before we filed our petition and they said we could not file until I was legally free to marry.

BTW, my attorney sent a letter after my divorce was finalized saying, "You cannot legally marry anywhere in the world until the 6 month wait has expired."

So if the USC is resident in a state with this law, but the beneficiary is abroad (obviously) and it's the beneficiary who is recently divorced (namely the USC is free to marry) then you're not bound by this law? Or do I need to find out if Arizona has such a law?

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

you know the way the older member jump down throats here because someone says "I think" is not really necessary. I know if i ask a question and someone says "i think"....i wait until there is a general concensus... Not take the first reply as the correct answer. there are better tactical ways to go about that. You may scare off new members that would continue to be members here. They may not want to stay here and get the information that they need but muddle through it alone. I know I have tried to answer questions and i got beat down for it...where the person that did the beating answered the question and could have just told me i was wrong.

Besides that person that got yelled at (IMO) did give correct advice. I know i reply to some threads just to bump them up since no one has replied to them.

Ok I'm off my soapbox now. :bonk:

feel free to hit me in the head.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
Any person violating the provisions of this section by such marriage shall be deemed guilty of the felony of bigamy. Any person violating the provisions of this section by such cohabitation shall be deemed guilty of the felony of adultery.

WOW. A divorced felon of bigamy. Leave it to Oklahoma to have a law that allows a divorced person to be capable of comitting a crime for living with someone or getting remarried after they are legally divorced...LOL.

I thought Arkansas was bad! ;) Dang!

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.