Meliss

Funny Canadian words vs. American words

56 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Have had many coversations with the fiance and others who think I am making up words...

Had a interesting one regarding ** milk, which I guess is whole milk there. :blush:

And someone once misheard me when I mentioned Malteezers (Whoppers, I guess) use your imagination. I have also had to defend, toboggan, bevertails, bloody ceaser, roomshoes, housecoat, the list goes on and on.. add yours for a giggle.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

what are roomshoes????

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

09/26/06 - received at NVC

09/27/06 - forwarded to consulate

20/11/06 - visa in my pocket!

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

27/04/07 docs sent in for AOS, EAD, AP

26/06/07 - biometrics appointment

02/17/07 - AP and EAD arrive

03/03/08 - Infopass - where the heck is my AOS interview?? No one knows!

Rick always bugs me about the way I say the word "sorry" HE says it sounds like SOO-RY to him haha. He also teases me about how I say the word TOWEL but excuse me, the last I knew, that word was TWO syllables not the one it sounds like when he says it "towl" :P

About the milk - I'll never forget the expression on Rick's face when he first visited me in Montreal and saw the bags of milk when I opened the fridge hahaha. He said "What the hell is THAT?" :lol:

what are roomshoes????

Slippers duh! hehehe Housecoat = robe.

smilie_s.gifsmilie_h.gifsmilie_a.gifsmilie_r.gifsmilie_o.gifsmilie_n.gif

"Life is not measured by how many breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I like it when Canadiens (or maybe just people from B.C.??) have a large number of something and they call it a 'whack'! "I have a whole whack of em, eh !!"

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My favorite is that Daniel's whole family say "Do What?!?!?" instead of "huh", "pardon" or "what?" but now I find I say it too....they have a ton of them though! I think it's funny that he thinks Rockets candy is called Smarties and has no idea what REAL Smarties are about. :lol: They also say "you'll have that" whenever you talk about things going wrong, or a problem comes up. He makes fun of me when I say route and doesn't know what I'm talking about when I say crayfish. He thinks they're called crawdad's :huh: But mostly, his friends and family sit and wait til I say Eh...which I do inevitably....What can I say....I'm Canadian through and through!

"Let your legs carry your body and your heart carry your dreams."

June 19th, 2006 - I129-F sent via Fedex (courtesy of my Honey's work) to arrive using next day delivery

Mid- July - Found out I129-F never left his company but is lost there.....need to gather and try again

August 2006 - Still waiting...maybe not the I-129F route anymore

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Derek gets a magazine called The Beaver, which - get your minds out of the gutter! - actually is a pretty nice Canadian history magazine. We live in an apartment complex though with a common area for all the mailboxes, and I love it when it arrives in the mail so I can tell in him in a very loud voice, your Beaver is here! The looks on the faces of our neighbors -priceless :lol:

canadaC.gif - Derek usaCa.gif- KJ

TIMELINE

Civil Ceremony - 02/19/2005

I-130 Mailed Out - 02/25/2005

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

I-130 Approved - 04/07/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Family Ceremony - 10/22/2005

Interview in Montreal - 12/22/2005

Activate Visa - 12/25/2005

Move to Virginia - 04/06/2006

Mailed I-751 - 11/02/2007

Received in Vermont - 11/05/2007

Check Cashed by VSC - 11/09/2007

Received NOA 1 - 11/10/2007

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Card production ordered - 09/10/2008

Card received! - 09/17/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

"hard done by", chesterfield, poutine( from quebec website pronounced poo-tsin), kraft dinner aka mac n cheese, downeast (seemingly an eastern term moreso than Cndn) oh and Canadians dont refer to American cheese as American cheese its simply cheese slices........... my husband says things like " are u done dinner " or " are you done that" maybe it's him but I've heard a couple others say that too. oh and "two four " ALWAYS rolls me.

OH OH OH and how many of you fight over the Candian Tire money?

Edited by CutienPurg
google.gif

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

A few of the guys here at work are Canadian and it always sounds funny when they say 'about'...they pronounce it, 'aboot'.

The owners of our company are from Scotland (2 brothers) and when they say, 'better', they forget the 't's'....(You be'er not be fookin' aroond!)

Edited by Steven_and_Jinky

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Mine are more Canadian vs. Texan, Texan is a whole 'nother language ;)

laneway vs alleyway

put away vs put up

cupboard vs pantry

going to vs fixin' to

tea towel vs dish rag

I do say 'whack' as previously mentioned, he cracks up every time but I laugh at him when he calls a toque a toboggan. I'll also never figure out how I can be a "Yankee".

Edited by Canuck Carrie

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
ZED!!!!!

I am having trouble saying ZEE... and when I say ZED sometimes Karen gets confused

Well...I have to admit that I've picked up a few Canadian terms and Joel has Southernized real well. Methinks it's a perfect blend!

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

license plates for cars instead of tags; softdrinks for soda; chesterfield, washroom, and oh yes zed:-). I have learned to ask for 'hot tea' instead of just tea - which brings me ice tea . . . oh I am sure there are more but I can't think of them at the moment. I know what you mean about the Texas thing - we live in Georgia but all of Joe's family is in Texas - hehehe, they like my 'funny accent' - and it is so peculiar because they are the ones with the accents! hehehehe

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!