antda

N-400: What to wear to citizenship interview and oath ceremony?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I was on the Canada forum here on VJ, talking about what to wear for an immigration interview, and then thought to myself:

"What should I wear for my N-400 Citizenship Interview and Oath Ceremony?"

A few years ago, for my AOS interview (during the fall/winter) here in the USA (Buffalo, NY), I wore the following:

I only brought about 2 weeks worth of clothes (spring/summer clothes) when I came here for a visit and then got married (see my VJ timeline for more info). And of course, I didn't have enough clothes then, as I had left almost all of it back in Canada and couldn't pick up my belongings while my case was pending....

So I wore what I had that looked decent enough to my interview: A white sweater (lol..which was the same sweater I got married in..no time for a formal wedding dress either when we spontaneously got married), a short sleeved pink shirt underneath (which I had bought while I was here), dark/navy blue jeans (thank goodness I had packed those), dark socks (ummm...I had to borrow my husband's larger sized socks), black dress shoes (thank goodness I packed those shoes too as I couldn't find a decent pair of shoes in my small size here), and the heart-shaped necklace I got on my wedding day (which I have now made into a keychain). My husband wore a dress shirt, brown dress pants, dark socks, and black dress shoes.

And yes, I/we was/were approved during the interview wearing those clothes......

Now a few years later, and it's time for me to meet with the USCIS again, and I wonder: What should me, my husband, and my baby wear for my N-400/Citizenship interview when the time comes for that in two weeks (November 18, in the fall/winter) and the subsequent oath ceremony after (sometime in December, I think, in the winter)? Should I/we wear more or less the same thing? Or should I/we wear something else that is suitable too?

Lol...I doubt that I fit in those 'skinny pants' or any of my other former clothes after pregnancy/post-patrum (yeah, the body certainly does change after one has a baby..lol...)....Any ideas for a 'post-pregnancy wardrobe' that's suitable for an interview and ceremony anyone?

Lol..Should my husband wear the same thing he did before?

Lol...What should the baby wear too? Any ideas for a baby wardrobe? (lol..yes, I'm bringing the baby with me too...)

Lol..Should I/we also wear something patriotic too?

Meanwhile, it's back to studying for the civics test, gathering the paperwork, wondering what to wear, and somewhat panicking...yikes!

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, advice, greatly appreaciated...Thanks....

Ant (What to wear for interview and oath ceremony...hmmmm....)

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Ant,

I would dress either business casual or business professional. Perhaps a suit or a nice dress. I would say no jeans for sure. I would also say the same for the hubby. The little one can wear a cute little outfit. I am sure they won't be in the room with you during the interview, but have them dressed up nice the same....especially if you want to take pictures later. Good luck,

Lissa

N-400

10/26/09 Sent application to Lewisville TX.

10/27/09 Rec'd Application signed by B. Conteh

10/29/09 Check cashed

11/02/09 Rec'd NOA date showing 10/29/09

11/09/09 Rec'd letter Bio Appointment

11/17/09 Bio Appointment 8am

11/20/09 Called FBI-Prints were sent back to USCIS same day.

12/03/09 Rec'd email from USCIS that the RFE was a mistake.

12/04/09 Rec'd email from USCIS saying that I have been transferred for an interview.

12/07/09 Rec'd letter for interview on 1/11/10 @11am in Fairfax, VA.

01/11/10 Interview completed. Passed test decision can't be made.

03/02/10 Contacted Senator's office...No reply yet!

03/04/10 Senator office called says can take up to 120 days.

04/12/10 Service request filed.

05/12/10 Contacted Senator's office again.

05/12/10 Told over the phone that I was approved. Believe it when I see it!

06/04/10 Senators office tells me the adjudicator who interviewed me thinks I have a criminal record. Send out all paper work showing no criminal record.

06/08/10 Leave for Canada

06/09/10 Get RCMP certificate showing no criminal record. Fax off to senators office.

06/23/10 Approved for Citizenship

06/24/10 USCIS contacts Senators office

06/28/10 Find out that I have been approved for citizenship and they are just waiting to schedule my oath.

07/12/10 Put in line for oath ceremony....wonder how long that will be!

08/18/10 Called USCIS confirmed they sent oath letter for 09/17/2010 at 9am.

09/17/10 Oath ceremony at 9am..... US Citizen!!!! Applied for passport.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bahamas
Timeline

i'm dressing same as i would for a job interview -- pants, blouse w/ dark sweater over top and jacket/coat. in deference to comfort and weather [as my date is december], i'll wear flats. i wouldn't go the patriotic route... they might think you are trying too hard! :)

as for your baby, Ant, he'll be bundled up because of the cooler fall weather anyway so i wouldn't worry. just make sure its layers in case the office has the heat on very high. i doubt the IO will do more than glance (unless you happen to get someone who is gaga for babies). i think your hubby is fine with what he wore before.

Adjustment of Status

July 1 2006 - Sent EAD & AOS packet

Sept 19 2006 - EAD APPROVED

Sept 22 2006 - AOS APPROVED

Sept 23 2006 - EAD card arrived

Sept 29 2006 - GC arrived!!!

Removal of Conditions

Jul 9 2008 - Filed @ VSC

Feb 25 2009 - Transferred to CSC

June 20 2009 - Card production ordered

NATURALIZATION

Aug 24 2009 - Mailed N-400 priority mail

Aug 26 2009 - rec'd at TX Lockbox

Aug 27 2009 - NOA1 (rec'd 8/31)

Aug 28 2009 - check cashed

Sept 4 2009 - biometrics notice [rec'd Sept 9]

Sept 25 2009 - Biometrics

Oct 17 2009 - Email about file transfer for interview

Oct 21 2009 - Interview Letter Rec'd

Dec 8 2009 - Interview - PASSED!!!!!!

Dec 19 2009 - Oath Letter rec'd

Jan 14 2010 - OATH CEREMONY!!!!

Jan 15 2010 - Passport app.

Jan 21 2010 - Nat. cert. returned

Jan 22 2010 - Passport rec'd

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

As the USC husband to the applicant, maybe I would have been noticed by her IO if I went in naked. Would have made those armed guards inspection of me a lot easier for them. Since Minnesota is also a hunting state, think I could have brought in my 7.62 mm rifle in if I commented I was going hunting afterwards, but definitely not my cell phone or my digital camera. Just saying, doesn't make much difference what your husband or baby wears, this is your show. But do bring along plenty of paper work that proves he is your husband, also paperwork of proof that the baby is yours and his.

You should wear, according to the guidelines, there is guidelines on how to dress, that makes you feel comfortable. Believe you can wear a two dollar dress, but not a 500 buck pair of designer blue jeans.

Good luck on your interview means not getting into a traffic jam and getting a decent reasonable IO, wish you good luck. The evidence, you knowing the N-400 frontwards and backwards with all the questions answered properly, and the civics test, is up to you.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your helpful replies so far....:)....Hmmm...gives me something to think about, indeed!...

Lissa04-Good idea about going business casual or business professional, as immigration is somewhat "business-like" anyways. Lol...though I'm not the business type, so I admit, I'm somewhat clueless as to what a "businessperson" wardrobe is exactly suppose to contain..lol...I don't have a nice formal business suit or a nice formal business dress either..But I do have some dress pants/nice pants and some nice shirts, so I hope that is "business" acceptable here. I have nice jeans too, but I guess that would be a no-no here? As for my hubby, he has nice dress pants and a nice dress shirt, so I hope that's ok too (he's not a businessman either..lol...). My little one has cute outfits..so I should be able to find something there (lol..though he doesn't have any business outfits..too young for that...). I know that my husband and son won't be in the interview room with me, but they will be with me in the waiting room/area, so they will more likely than not be seen by some immigration workers who are in the building too, which means they have to look nice/well-dressed in some way or other. And yes, for the oath ceremony, they have to look nice too, especially for the photos. So either way, we're all going to dress up nice...but the question is: "is this business-like enough for the USCIS"?

Hey Ant,

I would dress either business casual or business professional. Perhaps a suit or a nice dress. I would say no jeans for sure. I would also say the same for the hubby. The little one can wear a cute little outfit. I am sure they won't be in the room with you during the interview, but have them dressed up nice the same....especially if you want to take pictures later. Good luck,

Lissa

Nayalamb-That's great that you'd be dressing up like you would in a job interview. The outfit of pants, blouse, sweater, coat, flats, etc. sounds good! And yes, this give me somewhat of an idea what to dress too. Good luck with your interview too, and hope you get "approved" for the job of the oath later. Likewise, I agree about dressing in comfort and weather too, especially if it is cold outside too. Brr...My date is in November (interview) and/or December (maybe oath by then?)...It does get very cold up here in Buffalo, NY! Bundle up, indeed! And yes, the baby will be bundled up and dress warmly for the cold weather. Not sure if they would turn up the heat in the building, but if they do...oh boy, that's going to be way too hot for us! Dress in layers, maybe, in case it gets too hot and/or cold and we can adjust accordingly? As for the patriotic route, yeah...I probably wouldn't try to hard there...Though I think something small patriotic-wise would be ok. For example, I have a small American/Canadian flag pin which I will wear too, which should be ok, but not too flashy there. Lol..as for the IO glancing at the baby...not sure....if they do, fine, if they do, that's fine too (though more people, even complete strangers notice when a baby is in the room...weird...). The thing I worry about here, is if the baby makes too much of a fuss and then everybody negatively notices the baby...which is not good at all...Will have to figure out what to go there.....

i'm dressing same as i would for a job interview -- pants, blouse w/ dark sweater over top and jacket/coat. in deference to comfort and weather [as my date is december], i'll wear flats. i wouldn't go the patriotic route... they might think you are trying too hard! :)

as for your baby, Ant, he'll be bundled up because of the cooler fall weather anyway so i wouldn't worry. just make sure its layers in case the office has the heat on very high. i doubt the IO will do more than glance (unless you happen to get someone who is gaga for babies). i think your hubby is fine with what he wore before.

NickD-I agree, I know that my husband and son won't be in the interview room with me, but they will be with me in the waiting room/area, so they will more likely than not be seen by some immigration workers who are in the building too, which means they have to look nice/well-dressed in some way or other. And yes, for the oath ceremony, they have to look nice too. Lol... :rofl: ....not sure if walking around naked is an option, nor is walking around with a gun and hunting gear.....though don't think that would make inspection easier...., so don't think my family will attempt that route...Though I wonder what would happen if someone actually did try that..possibly an arrest?...(lol..I could see it now...my neighbours (we live out in the country/rural area)...with their hunting rifles and hunting clothes following behind me in their pickup truck and rooster to the USCIS office....funny...). We'll make sure to leave the cell phone and digital camera in the car too, as those aren't allowed anyways, and are questioned about at the door of the local office when we pass by the metal dectors...(oh and they ask about staplers and razors too...weird...). But yes, I will remember to bring the paperwork/evidence (the 100+ pages I submitted before), and the actual human evidence (the husband and baby) in case they want to run some sort of DNA test on them too....(just kidding...lol...). I have yet to see what they specifiy specifically in their "guidelines" as to what exactly to wear, as their description to dress "properly" and "appropriately" is kind of vague here. Lol..heck, pyjamas seem to be "comfortable" enough to me and it meets that vague description here..But yeah, common sense wise, I know I can't wear those..so no pyjamas, dollar dresses, or fancy blue jeans here. I hope I don't get stuck in a traffic jam for the interview too. Thank goodness the interview is in the afternoon, so I should be able to avoid rush hour there. We'll leave extra early too, just in case, as we don't want to be late for such, and it's a long drive (2-3 hours) just to get to our 'local' office. And yes, I'll make sure the baby is fed and changed before the interview too (lol..even if it means feeding and changing them in the car while on the way there..yikes...). As for a reasonable IO...luck of the draw there, really. But from my past experiences of IOs at my local office, they seem pretty nice and friendly (though somewhat clueless at times, I admit). In the meantime, I have my evidence ready, and am studying for the civics/history test...so hopefully I'll be prepared that way too. So let's see what happens for the interview...and hope luck is on my side for that day too...

As the USC husband to the applicant, maybe I would have been noticed by her IO if I went in naked. Would have made those armed guards inspection of me a lot easier for them. Since Minnesota is also a hunting state, think I could have brought in my 7.62 mm rifle in if I commented I was going hunting afterwards, but definitely not my cell phone or my digital camera. Just saying, doesn't make much difference what your husband or baby wears, this is your show. But do bring along plenty of paper work that proves he is your husband, also paperwork of proof that the baby is yours and his.

You should wear, according to the guidelines, there is guidelines on how to dress, that makes you feel comfortable. Believe you can wear a two dollar dress, but not a 500 buck pair of designer blue jeans.

Good luck on your interview means not getting into a traffic jam and getting a decent reasonable IO, wish you good luck. The evidence, you knowing the N-400 frontwards and backwards with all the questions answered properly, and the civics test, is up to you.

Ok, thanks everyone again, for the humour and helpful suggestions!....:)

A lot of great ideas...Meanwhile, I'll still deciding...

Will let you know what my final wardrobe choice for me and my family will be for the interview and oath...

Stay tunned for more wardrobe updates here....

Yikes..I can't believe my interview is in 2 weeks or so (or whatever it says on my ticker below)...oh my!....

Ant (Raiding the closet..don't know what to wear...yikes...)

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.