MichaelAndKha

Fiance' Visa Denied!

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My fiance just got a letter from the US Consulate in Vietnam. It's a blue document and they denied her a visa.

Several reasons they stated:

- Photographs submitted as evidence of the relationship indicates that we only spent one or two days together.

This is not true, we actually spent 5 days together out of the 7 days I was in Vietnam during my first trip.

- Beneficiary and petitioner submitted no evidence of any engagement celebration. This contradicts social and cultural norms in which many family members and friends, including those in the US, are invited to engagement celebrations numbering in the hundreds of guest for families of even modest means. Together with other factors, this has been established as one of the key elements of a sham relationship to evade US immigration laws.

We did in fact have the Dam Hoi (engagement ceremony) last month, but it was too late to submit this as evidence since the case was already under review. I even went to the US Consular office in Vietnam and spoke to the officer several days before our Dam Hoi was to take place. I told him about our upcoming celebration and he made a note of it. I asked him if there is anything else I can provide as evidence. He said "No, there is nothing else we need from you. We will notify you and your fiance when the case has been processed." That was basically it.

- Beneficiary is unable to provide basic facts (such as ceremony, manner of celebration, venue, guests or approximate costs) regarding the claimed planned marriage in the US. It appears that the relationship is a sham or that Beneficiary has no actual intent to marry within 90 days of admission to the US. Furthermore, Beneficiary stated that she and petitioner have no planned Honeymoon.

I did already give some facts about our wedding ceremony that would take place even though it wasn't specific. I didn't know they were so picky about this, jeez.

This whole thing makes me upset and frustrated. I'm going to make a rebuttal claim with USCIS as soon as a I hear from them.

Has anybody here gone through the same thing or similar?

My fiance gave me this link to an article which can give more insight about visa denials.

I'm still in a state of confusion :blink:

Michael

K-1 Visa Timeline

October 2008 - First visit with Kha in Vietnam

November 2008 - Proposed to Kha

January 2009 - Sent I-129f petition for fiance visa

March 2009 - I-129f approved

July 2009 - Kha has interview (got blue sheet, need more evidence)

September 2009 - Second visit with Kha (Engagement Ceremony)

October 2009 - Kha went to US Consulate (got another blue sheet, denied visa)

December 2009 - Received notice from US Consulate, they sent docs back to USCIS

March 2010 - Received Notice of Decision from USCIS, all action is concluded.

CR-1 Visa Timeline

February 18-25, 2010 - Third visit to Vietnam, interview for marriage certificate

March 13-21, 2010 - Fourth visit to Vietnam, signed the book for marriage - yes!

April 16, 2010 - Sent I-130 petition for spousal visa

April 23, 2010 - I-797C, Notice Of Action

July 10, 2010 - Fifth visit to Vietnam, formal marriage ceremony and honeymoon!

October 26, 2010 - I-797, Notice Of Action - Approval!

NVC Process

November 12, 2010 - Letter received, case number assigned

November 15, 2010 - DS-3032 sent via email

November 17, 2010 - AOS online payment made

November 20, 2010 - DS-3032 sent via FEDEX

November 23, 2010 - NVC Received DS-3032

December 11, 2010 - DS-230 packet sent via FEDEX

December 14, 2010 - NVC Received DS-230 packet

December 21, 2010 - Received Checklist Cover Letter from NVC

January 6, 2011 - Case Completed

January 8, 2011 - SIF (Sign in Fail)

February 28, 2011 - Received email from NVC, Interview Scheduled for April 28

April 28, 2011 - Wife has the interview and PASSED!!

I'm sorry I don't have too much advice to give you. I'm sure someone else familiar with your situation will come along. Did you also ask this in the Vietnam thread? It may be a good place as well to receive answers.

So sorry about all this. I really hope it all works out for the two of you. Hang in there...

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
My fiance just got a letter from the US Consulate in Vietnam. It's a blue document and they denied her a visa.

- Photographs submitted as evidence of the relationship indicates that we only spent one or two days together.

This is not true, we actually spent 5 days together out of the 7 days I was in Vietnam during my first trip.

- Beneficiary and petitioner submitted no evidence of any engagement celebration. This contradicts social and cultural norms in which many family members and friends, including those in the US, are invited to engagement celebrations numbering in the hundreds of guest for families of even modest means. Together with other factors, this has been established as one of the key elements of a sham relationship to evade US immigration laws.

We did in fact have the Dam Hoi (engagement ceremony) last month, but it was too late to submit this as evidence since the case was already under review. I even went to the US Consular office in Vietnam and spoke to the officer several days before our Dam Hoi was to take place. I told him about our upcoming celebration and he made a note of it. I asked him if there is anything else I can provide as evidence. He said "No, there is nothing else we need from you. We will notify you and your fiance when the case has been processed." That was basically it.

- Beneficiary is unable to provide basic facts (such as ceremony, manner of celebration, venue, guests or approximate costs) regarding the claimed planned marriage in the US. It appears that the relationship is a sham or that Beneficiary has no actual intent to marry within 90 days of admission to the US. Furthermore, Beneficiary stated that she and petitioner have no planned Honeymoon.

I did already give some facts about our wedding ceremony that would take place even though it wasn't specific. I didn't know they were so picky about this, jeez.

This whole thing makes me upset and frustrated. I'm going to make a rebuttal claim with USCIS as soon as a I hear from them.

My fiance gave me this link to an article which can give more insight about visa denials.

Michael

I don't know too much about the Vietnamese embassy. But I think you need to contact the embassy before they send your case back to USCIS. I would also post this in the Vietnam regional forum. Many ppl will be able to give you advice from there. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I hope all works out for you.

K-1,VSC, Moscow Consulate

I-129F sent:2009-06-04

NOA1: 2009-06-09

NOA2: 2009-09-16

NVC Received: 2009-09-17

NVC Left: 2009-09-22

Consulate Received: 2009-09-25

Medical: IOM, Moscow, 2009-12-07

Interview: 2009-12-08

Visa Received: 2009-12-14

Arrival to USA: 2010-01-15

Marriage: 2010-03-27

AOS, EAD, AP

CIS Office: Charleston, SC

Filed AOS Package: 2010-05-26

NOA: 2010-06-04

Bio Appt: 2010-07-09

AOS Transfer to CSC: 2010-06-30

EAD Card Production Order: 2010-08-04

AP Received: 2010-08-09

ROC

I-751 sent: 2012-7-11

NOA-1: 2012-8-1

Bio-Appointment: 2012-9-19

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Michael

This is more common that we would like in HCMC... There are 2 others going back to the consulate soon after getting reaffirmed...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Michael

HCMC is a tough place to get a visa. To bad you didn't take the time from August until now to study what to expect and to prepare for the interview.

Is this an opportunity to present further evidence or a notice the case is being returned to USCIS?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Sorry to hear about your case.

Please don't take offense to this, but based on the response you got back, the CO seems justified regarding to their decision. Photos proving only 2 days of being together and no engagement ceremony...especially from a consulate that sees high fraud cases!

It appears as if you guys rushed into the whole engagement thing and processed the paperwork too soon. At this point, DON'T STRESS OUT about it because you can still submit a rebuttal. In your rebuttal, make sure that you mention your additional visit(s), your "traditional" engagement ceremony, methods of communication beyond your visit, and most importantly why and how you feel the way you do with your fiancee. It's VERY important that you give this much thought and consideration as this will determine whether they will re-review your case or send it back to square one. If it gets sent back, you'll have a flag on your case if you decide to file any other type of visas (as I read on your old post regarding getting married over there -- which isn't hard at all...just tedious...)

If the case does get denied, you can get married and file CR-1 or K-3. There's another member on here that did that...they've got their interview coming up soon, but it's been a 2+ year journey for them. The only other thing I can think of is to advise you to be patient. It will come in due time. If you really love him/her it'll be worth it in the end, despite all the trouble it took to get to that point.

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]12-xx-2007 - 1st Trip (6wks) & Met him halfway around the world

[*]03-xx-2008 - Got engaged - two people on opposite sides of the world

[*]05-xx-2008 - 2nd Trip (2wks) - Engagement/Marriage/Consummation

[*]06-12-2008 - Filed I-130 (CR-1) with Vermont Service Center

[*]12-xx-2008 - 3rd Trip (4wks)

[*]06-05-2009 - Interview at 9:00am at HCMC Consulate (result: blue)

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

[*]08-xx-2009 - 4th Trip (4wks)

[*]10-07-2009 - AP 91 days - Result: APPROVED!!

[*]10-31-2009 - POE: Detroit, MI

[*]11-18-2009 - Social Security Card

[*]11-20-2009 - Green Card

[*]01-21-2010 - Driver's License

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]02/07/2011 - Renew Vietnam Passport

[*]07/30/2011 - Process of Removing Conditions Begins

[*]09/25/2011 - Date of I-751

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

[*]10/19/2011 - Biometrics

Timeline

Michael,

Here is a link to a topic that may give some insight as well as connections to others that went through what you have ahead of you...

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=223421

Edited by ScottThuy

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

The blue slip is normally a request for more evidence. Is that the case here, or is it a denial?

Do some reading over in the Asia:East & Pacific regional forum to get a lot of HCMC feedback. This consulate requires a good bit of preparation for K visa couples.

If you can scan the blue slip and post it in the regional forum we can all take a look and offer specific feedback.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline
The blue slip is normally a request for more evidence. Is that the case here, or is it a denial?

Do some reading over in the Asia:East & Pacific regional forum to get a lot of HCMC feedback. This consulate requires a good bit of preparation for K visa couples.

If you can scan the blue slip and post it in the regional forum we can all take a look and offer specific feedback.

They already had a blue slip and submitted the requested info, then got AP and now denial..

Timeline

They already had a blue slip and submitted the requested info, then got AP and now denial..

All the more reason to do the prep work needed to obtain a visa. Embassy forum isn't a good place to prep for HCMC.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Michael

Michael, this is stupid as ####### for them to say. So many of us can't really "plan" things about the wedding or the honeymoon and shell out much needed money and take chance of losing a large deposit due to things out of our control i.e. Administrative Processing!!!!! :blink: I'm sure you are like many of us that can't make definite plans due to the whole visa process and the uncertainty of what the embassy/consulates will do. Take 2 weeks to approve & get visa or 15 months! It just seems very unfair for them to play that card. Chin up and just keep working on it so they will get what they need so you can be with your honey. I'll say a little prayer for you & best of luck!! (F)

Timeline

Please don't take offense to this, but based on the response you got back, the CO seems justified regarding to their decision. Photos proving only 2 days of being together and no engagement ceremony...especially from a consulate that sees high fraud cases!

It appears as if you guys rushed into the whole engagement thing and processed the paperwork too soon. At this point, DON'T STRESS OUT about it because you can still submit a rebuttal. In your rebuttal, make sure that you mention your additional visit(s), your "traditional" engagement ceremony, methods of communication beyond your visit, and most importantly why and how you feel the way you do with your fiancee. It's VERY important that you give this much thought and consideration as this will determine whether they will re-review your case or send it back to square one. If it gets sent back, you'll have a flag on your case if you decide to file any other type of visas (as I read on your old post regarding getting married over there -- which isn't hard at all...just tedious...)

If the case does get denied, you can get married and file CR-1 or K-3. There's another member on here that did that...they've got their interview coming up soon, but it's been a 2+ year journey for them. The only other thing I can think of is to advise you to be patient. It will come in due time. If you really love him/her it'll be worth it in the end, despite all the trouble it took to get to that point.

Thanks for your perspective on this. I'm trying not to get too stressed out about this. I think my fiance is more stressed than I am. I'm just glad I have a place to share my experience and get some useful feedback.

Me and my fiance did discuss the idea of getting married over in Vietnam and filing a K-3 if this K-1 still gets denied.

Meanwhile, I'll just be patient and hope for the best.

K-1 Visa Timeline

October 2008 - First visit with Kha in Vietnam

November 2008 - Proposed to Kha

January 2009 - Sent I-129f petition for fiance visa

March 2009 - I-129f approved

July 2009 - Kha has interview (got blue sheet, need more evidence)

September 2009 - Second visit with Kha (Engagement Ceremony)

October 2009 - Kha went to US Consulate (got another blue sheet, denied visa)

December 2009 - Received notice from US Consulate, they sent docs back to USCIS

March 2010 - Received Notice of Decision from USCIS, all action is concluded.

CR-1 Visa Timeline

February 18-25, 2010 - Third visit to Vietnam, interview for marriage certificate

March 13-21, 2010 - Fourth visit to Vietnam, signed the book for marriage - yes!

April 16, 2010 - Sent I-130 petition for spousal visa

April 23, 2010 - I-797C, Notice Of Action

July 10, 2010 - Fifth visit to Vietnam, formal marriage ceremony and honeymoon!

October 26, 2010 - I-797, Notice Of Action - Approval!

NVC Process

November 12, 2010 - Letter received, case number assigned

November 15, 2010 - DS-3032 sent via email

November 17, 2010 - AOS online payment made

November 20, 2010 - DS-3032 sent via FEDEX

November 23, 2010 - NVC Received DS-3032

December 11, 2010 - DS-230 packet sent via FEDEX

December 14, 2010 - NVC Received DS-230 packet

December 21, 2010 - Received Checklist Cover Letter from NVC

January 6, 2011 - Case Completed

January 8, 2011 - SIF (Sign in Fail)

February 28, 2011 - Received email from NVC, Interview Scheduled for April 28

April 28, 2011 - Wife has the interview and PASSED!!

Timeline

Thanks for your perspective on this. I'm trying not to get too stressed out about this. I think my fiance is more stressed than I am. I'm just glad I have a place to share my experience and get some useful feedback.

Me and my fiance did discuss the idea of getting married over in Vietnam and filing a K-3 if this K-1 still gets denied.

Yes, filing for a CR1 (don't even think about the K3 on the second pass) does not happen in a vacuum. It wouldn't wipe the slate clean. The facts of the K1 petition would still exist and any "failings" or weak points would have to be satisfactorally addressed.

If your relationship moved a quick pace with limited visits then those red flags will need to be overcome. Having had a Dam Hoi / Dinh Hon now is a big plus. Sounds like your fiancee was nervous in the interview. That can be overcome. Keep building your evidence file as each week passes.

Don't give up. Learn from your experience so far, then prepare and over prepare.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yes, filing for a CR1 (don't even think about the K3 on the second pass) does not happen in a vacuum. It wouldn't wipe the slate clean. The facts of the K1 petition would still exist and any "failings" or weak points would have to be satisfactorally addressed.

If your relationship moved a quick pace with limited visits then those red flags will need to be overcome. Having had a Dam Hoi / Dinh Hon now is a big plus. Sounds like your fiancee was nervous in the interview. That can be overcome. Keep building your evidence file as each week passes.

Don't give up. Learn from your experience so far, then prepare and over prepare.

Very good points, and I am glad to see Anh Map and Pushbrk responded as this needs consulate specific answers. But read carefully your rejection notice. NO WHERE does it say that you lack being married, getting married will fix nothing in what is missing (escept the wedding plans question) and it will still be missing for the CR-1 interview which requires the same sort of evidence, PLUS evidence specific to being a legitimate married couple. You need to address and prepare accordingly

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Michael

Michael, this is stupid as ####### for them to say. So many of us can't really "plan" things about the wedding or the honeymoon and shell out much needed money and take chance of losing a large deposit due to things out of our control i.e. Administrative Processing!!!!! :blink: I'm sure you are like many of us that can't make definite plans due to the whole visa process and the uncertainty of what the embassy/consulates will do. Take 2 weeks to approve & get visa or 15 months! It just seems very unfair for them to play that card. Chin up and just keep working on it so they will get what they need so you can be with your honey. I'll say a little prayer for you & best of luck!! (F)

It does matter that it is stupid or not. They do not have a visa because they did not prepare for the consulate they are dealing with. We can all be righteously indignant about it. Personally, I am incensed over it!!!!!! And what? The consulate you are dealing with is also difficult and has its own requirements, none of which are in writing anywhere, you would also be best to be prepared for that consulate. Yes, they CAN do this. It is a judgement call by the consulate and the burden of proof is on the applicant. The decision is made by a guy that doesn't know you based on what you hand over for evidence and the decision is almost always made before the interview is conducted. Be prepared.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.