Tmc225usc

Question about AOS and next steps after I-130 approval for stepdaughter

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello,

Little bit of back story(and link to old thread)

(Wife came here on K1, eventually got green card)

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=211419&hl=

I filed out the I-130 form for my wife's daughter (age 3, living in Thailand currently) back in August of 2009. With help from this forum, I was able to get the instructions squared away, and everything went great.

I got notice of receipt (I-797C) in late August.

I then got notice of Approval (I-797) on September 18th, 2009.

On October 2nd, 2009, I got a packet for AOS Fee OLP.

I went online(which was new from when I did everything back in the day on my wife's visa) and submitted the $70 Dollars electronically.

I checked again 3 days later and everything said it was paid, so I Printed out a receipt and a Document Cover Cheat from www.immigrantvisas.state.gov

What it is telling me to do next is fill out another AOS, this time for the little one.

My question is which of these can I use?

With my wife, it was cut and dry. From the USCIS site, it looks like from the instructions for Preparing Affidavit of Support Forms, I have several to choose from : I-864, I-864EZ, I-864A, and I-864W.

I assume Id just use the plain jane I-864 form, but I wanted to check because of the circumstances of the child coming here, if anything else needed included, or if I could use one of the different I-684(EZ,A,W) forms?

I petitioned for the child to come here under 'based on a stepparent-stepchild relationship' for thr I-130 if that helps to determine what forms I need to work on next.

I tried searching for the info, but didnt find anything too specific to my situation. Im happy USCIS is using more internet based forms and payments instead of having to send in checks each time,but the new process is a bit confusing.

I assume what will happen is I will fill out one of the AOS forms(whichever applies)

Then I will send that along with the Document Cover Sheet I printed out.

What happens next?

Does paperwork go over to Thailand to where the child is staying that will need to be filled out?

(they sent in my AOS FEE OLP a copy of a DS-3032 form, which if she gets a copy of that form in Thailand, I dont know if they will really want a 3 year old signing it, or if some form of adult(grandparent,or I) can sign it for her.)

Any help in the matter be it info on which of the AOS docs to use and what happens next in the process once I send out the AOS paperwork and coversheet would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Tmc225usc

10/03/13: N400 Sent to Dallas Service Center
10/11/13: Received
10/16/13: NOA
11/06/13: Biometrics
01/13/14: Passed Interview!
05/16/14: Oath Ceremony. Finally Finished!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I think if your income is sufficient you can use the 864EZ form. If you also need to include your wife's income to meet the povery guidelines, you must fill out the 864 and she must fill out the 864A.

Also, have your wife fill out the DS 3032 form and sign it. Have her choose you as the agent and put down your contact information. That way, materials will be sent to you instead of to your stepdaughter.

AOS

• I-130 NOA1: 6/20/2008
  • I-485 Filed: 10/18/2008
  • I-130 Approved: 2/20/2009
  • Interview: 3/18/2008
  • I-601 Submitted: 3/18/2009
  • I-485 Approved: 4/22/2009
  • GC Received: 6/23/2009

IR2 (Stepson)

• I-130 NOA1: 7/23/2009
  • I-130 Approved: 10/1/2009
  • NVC Case Received: 10/14/2009
  • DS 3032, AOS Fee Bill Generated: 10/19/2009
  • DS 3032 sent via email, AOS Fee Bill Paid: 10/19/2009
  • DS 3032 accepted: 10/28/2009
  • IV Fee Bill Generated/Paid: 11/2/2009
  • DS 230/AOS mailed: 11/7/2007
  • DS 230, AOS Received: 11/9/2009
  • AOS/DS 230 Mailed: 11/6/2009
  • Documents Received: 11/16/2009
  • RFE for 864-A: 11/24/2009
  • Received Checklist Reponse via email: 11/28/2009
  • Checklist Letter Received by NVC: 12/4/2009
  • Sign in failed: 12/14/2009
  • Case Complete: 12/15/2009
  • Appointment Letter Received: 12/29/2009
  • Interview: 2/10/2010, Approved!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
I think if your income is sufficient you can use the 864EZ form. If you also need to include your wife's income to meet the povery guidelines, you must fill out the 864 and she must fill out the 864A.

Also, have your wife fill out the DS 3032 form and sign it. Have her choose you as the agent and put down your contact information. That way, materials will be sent to you instead of to your stepdaughter.

Thank you for the reply. This was what I was hoping to hear. My wife doesn't work. My income is enough for her and her daughter so we will be fine on that. I mainly didnt understand what 864EZ vs regular required.

I will also have my wife fill out the DS 3032 with my info when that shows up. I really wanted to avoid having to use a lawyer. I did all my wife's paperwork, but it was easier because she should send me info I needed or the forms she received.

Now that it is just the little one over in Thailand living with people who do not speak English, it makes everything a bit more complicated this time around.

10/03/13: N400 Sent to Dallas Service Center
10/11/13: Received
10/16/13: NOA
11/06/13: Biometrics
01/13/14: Passed Interview!
05/16/14: Oath Ceremony. Finally Finished!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.