Gary and Alla

K-1 petition information

136 posts in this topic

Did I read about another fee increase??? Are they serious?

Also, question for N-400 and the biometrics (again). I see some people are getting receipts (NOA1s) for $595 and others for $675. What is happening with discrepancy - are people's old biometrics being used and they're still charging the $80 or what? If the biometrics from I-751 is still valid, why pay another $80 for something they already have? And since January 2009 all returning PRs get their picture taken as well as fingerprinted (index fingers only) at POE so it looks like they don't really need new biometrics.

Also question about GCs that never show up (either CR-1 visas or AOS). Why such lax security (plain envelope, no signature required) when sending such an important document as someone's GC? Why do we have to jump through hoops to prove we did not change address but never received GC and were still asked to pay additional $380 for something never produced - direct info from INFOPASS "happens all the time, submit I-90 saying you lost, mutilated or detroyed your GC and pay another $380"? [We ended up involving our senator and only the 2nd sending of I-90 (no fee) was accepted]

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Wish I would have seen this before I posted my 129F. I would have saved a tree or two. :) Excellent post!

K1 Filed: 4-1-2009 * Interview (approved): 10-21-2009 * POE: 11-1-2009 * Married: 11-29-2009

http://www.visajourn...009-k-1-filers/

-------------------

AOS Filed: 12-7-2009

AOS APPROVED! 2-27-2010 (no interview)

Greencard in hand: 3-4-2010

http://www.visajourn...ead/page__st__0

--------------------

ROC mailed to CSC 11-22-2011

Check cleared the bank 11-29-2011 (our 2nd anniversary) :)

Greencard received 6/15/2012 :)

November 2011 ROC Filers

N400 Filing (Citizenship for Ian) - Here we go!

Mailed 12-03-2012

Arrived at Phoenix SC 12-6-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

1-25-2013 Notice - Interview Scheduled for 3-4-2013

Oath 3-4-2013 Omaha Field Office

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Great post! Thank you.

I just got my NOA-2 approval notice email and it was done in 48 days. I think that was tremendous and I'm very happy with the VSC. Keep up the good work. :thumbs:

Edited by kenjhub

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
What about extra documents? Proof of relationship? We don't need it, only that they have met for the fiancee visa.

So are you saying that all these people here who have been sending in a novel full of information/pictures is NOT necessary??

Most yes. Of course. We were approved with a two sentence description of how we met and ONE photo plus passport stamps and copies of boarding passes. But I have been saying that for a long time. Unless you are dealing with one of those "#######" consulates or need to meet some local cultural standards (such as engagement parties in Viet Nam or Thailand, etc.) Yes.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline
Did I read about another fee increase??? Are they serious?

Also, question for N-400 and the biometrics (again). I see some people are getting receipts (NOA1s) for $595 and others for $675. What is happening with discrepancy - are people's old biometrics being used and they're still charging the $80 or what? If the biometrics from I-751 is still valid, why pay another $80 for something they already have? And since January 2009 all returning PRs get their picture taken as well as fingerprinted (index fingers only) at POE so it looks like they don't really need new biometrics.

Also question about GCs that never show up (either CR-1 visas or AOS). Why such lax security (plain envelope, no signature required) when sending such an important document as someone's GC? Why do we have to jump through hoops to prove we did not change address but never received GC and were still asked to pay additional $380 for something never produced - direct info from INFOPASS "happens all the time, submit I-90 saying you lost, mutilated or detroyed your GC and pay another $380"? [We ended up involving our senator and only the 2nd sending of I-90 (no fee) was accepted]

I added these questions to the list. It appears this is going to be a "prepared list" type of thing, which is OK. All valid and good questions

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

great info....you covered quite a bit....im suprised he was so open to your questions....he was more helpful than these customer service reps....they annoy me.....thanx for posting!!!!!!!

Love has no boundaries, no limitations. Love flows like a river, silent and calm, it gives us strength and shelters us from every storm.

Gary,

Highest compliments on this thread.

I don't expect your friend to explain the WHY of everything in the process,

because I expect they have to retain a certain degree of "mystery."

However, they might think a little more of how they can fill in the "WHAT" part.

For example, there has been debate about how many copies of what form to send in (no need to mention the form).

If they require multiple copies, they might indicate that a little more clearly as it isn't always clear.

Also, if they require multiple copies, they might indicate where those copies get attached, as this should not be a secret either

and helps (in our minds at least) the future stages of the process to fall into place better.

Anything to reduce RFE's; but if RFE's are reduced does that put them out of business?

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Timeline
Gary,

Highest compliments on this thread.

I don't expect your friend to explain the WHY of everything in the process,

because I expect they have to retain a certain degree of "mystery."

However, they might think a little more of how they can fill in the "WHAT" part.

For example, there has been debate about how many copies of what form to send in (no need to mention the form).

If they require multiple copies, they might indicate that a little more clearly as it isn't always clear.

Also, if they require multiple copies, they might indicate where those copies get attached, as this should not be a secret either

and helps (in our minds at least) the future stages of the process to fall into place better.

Anything to reduce RFE's; but if RFE's are reduced does that put them out of business?

Ah yes, we did discuss the nuances of government instructions. Let's just say he is of like mind and often has the same problem. I guess I often forget that government inefficiency applies to all involved, we are not the only victims.

No they do not need RFEs to keep their jobs. :)

Gary And Alla

Timeline
great info....you covered quite a bit....im suprised he was so open to your questions....he was more helpful than these customer service reps....they annoy me.....thanx for posting!!!!!!!

He was more open than my neighbor also. It doesn't surprise me so much he speaks about procedural things or what is good evidence for the I-751, after all it makes his job easier. I was a bit surprised he was open about how the petitions are processed and how they seem to do things in "batches" and switch from one type of petition to another, etc. My neighbor (a lower level supervisor) never will discuss that. Maybe it is a personal thing rather than national security thing. :)

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Wow. This is fantastic. This will be extremely useful to so many of us. Thank you.

The fact that you need no evidence of an on-going relationship is what astounds me the most. And also relieves me! It seems that 'lack of evidence' is one of the main concerns when compiling the packet.

I would assume then that it is at the consulate stage when that 'relationship' evidence is really analyzed. As we've seen though, many consulates do not accept new evidence when you go for your interview. So would you agree it's still best to overload your original packet with evidence, which they are forced to look at?

01/09/09 - Sent I-129F

Visa Approved!

23/07/10 - Arrived in the U.S.

28/08/10 - Got Married

20/10/10 - Sent AOS

04/11/10 - InfoPass Appointment to request an Expedited AP

05/11/10 - Expedited AP Approved! RFE requested for AOS

01/02/11 - RFE sent

01/01/11 - RFE Received

01/12/11 - Biometrics taken

01/28/11 - EAD Approved

02/02/11 - AOS moved to CSC

03/07/11 - Greencard Approved!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
many consulates do not accept new evidence when you go for your interview. So would you agree it's still best to overload your original packet with evidence, which they are forced to look at?
For the "#######" consulates, definitely. Offhand, one would doubt that Australia sinks to this level (check the Reviews for patterns or individual worst-case reports).

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm so so so so so!!! glad I stopped here :) thanks for all the VJ participants for ALL that you do!

"Waiting does not seem long, once it is accomplished"

Click on "my timeline" and it is there. Takes up too much space in the signature area.

many consulates do not accept new evidence when you go for your interview. So would you agree it's still best to overload your original packet with evidence, which they are forced to look at?
For the "#######" consulates, definitely. Offhand, one would doubt that Australia sinks to this level (check the Reviews for patterns or individual worst-case reports).

Tbone,

I think Thailand probably falls in between Ecuador & Australia;

the fact that it is one of the most popular K-1 sites may have

forced them to adopt good standards but on the other hand

I could be wrong when it comes to attributing any motivation

on the part of government officials. I love Thailand almost as

much as I love my fiancée, but trying not to view it in through

rose-colored glasses, I might call it "corruption with a smile."

I'm just talking about the country, not the consulate. I don't

view the consular staff as very corrupt from the reviews I've seen.

In any case, I front-loaded my packet with stuff that probably

won't be looked at until the interview (around 130 pages worth)

and only time will tell if it does us any good.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.