Gary and Alla

K-1 petition information

136 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
What about the consulates? Consulates do what they do, as I said, some are bastards. They get whatever we get when it is sent on.
The second sentence is a relief to know.
I have to ask for a colleague, Ecuador? Bastards.
Why, thank you, colleague! And, it's good to know that someone besides "all of us" has come up with the correct synonym for Guayaquil, si man.

More questions (a couple of them multipartite) to ask the dude:

1. Does it slow down the processing perceptibly if people front-load their applications in anticipation of dealing with the consulates later? Do his staffers mind this, or they deal with it because "a package is a package"?

2. What percentage of the VSC's workload is dealing with petitions that have been returned from the consulates?

3.a. How exactly does he define "#######" consulate? How specifically do Guayaquil & others qualify, and is the VSC doing anything in particular to make it known, such as reaffirming 99.44% of returned petitions from there?

3.b. Can you get him to come up with a list of the 15 or 20 "most #######" consulates, along with seemingly common reasons that these places return petitions to the VSC? (This is a back-door way of learning tips for front-loading.) It would also be helpful if he could offer a reason or two why each is a #######, as he did for Lagos.

4. Does he know anyone by name & title in the Dept. of State to whom to complain about "#######" consulates?

(This last could be valuable also for those who have been subjected to the blonde in Casablanca, and, I think, to some ill-tempered consul in Vietnam that I seem to remember reading about -- individual misbehavior means institutional tolerance of it.)

5. Can he (or someone who works for him) provide an updated, detailed, insider's description of what a file goes through when it's received and processed? That "former adjudicator at the NSC" thread here on VJ was immensely interesting, but it's 5 or 6 years old; parts of it still likely apply, but other parts are certainly wildly out of date.

Part of the insatiable search for knowledge, si man. Gracias again.

all great questions. I am making a list as I will talk to him again and I have asked Cap'n Ewok in a PM how he would like to handle an interview or prepared questions, the man says he will do this. I did ask him about "frontloading" in a roundabout way (extra proof of relationship) but he did not indicate it was a problem, seemed nonchalant about it. (mentioned in my post)Your other questions are ones I didn't think of. and no he did not indicate a list of consulates which are bastards or what constitutes that in his book. It may not be the same thing that constitutes it your books and it is just a coincidence they give him heartburn also.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I have one questions that seems to be a hot topic. Some countries like India consider your religious divorce legal and does not need to be registered through civil authorities. What would be acceptable type of evidence for this? What do they look for EXACTLY in foreign divorce decrees. A lot of VJ members get RFE's for divorce decrees and its a difficult to proof because every country has different types of divorce decrees. Some countries you get one page with a stamp and you will get an RFE because they want the full copy of your decree.

Timeline

Tbone, I also got the impression that he meant some consulates were "bastards" because they are hard on applicants because of high fraud countries and others may be bastards because they cause him grief. Not sure where Ecuador falls in that rating. From what you say, maybe the latter. Also this man is no longer involved directly with K-1 visas, but now is handling I-751s, but he did handle K-1s at one time. Some of his comments were made when Alla was in earshot for her benefit, such as "Kiev is easy, they will let anyone in" As Alla was standing next to me. She said "Hey...what do you mean by that?" LOL But really he said they were now easy but not for tourist visas (true)

He really had nothing to say about "frontloading" other that it is a consulate issue. They seem to be very compartmentalized...USCIS does their thing and sends it on, then they do their thing again for AOS and Lifting conditions, citizenship, etc. He had some off the record comments about how he feels about the citizenship test also, but I will spare him those. This was a casual outdoor dinner/bar-b-que get together and I really don't want to repeat something said "out of school"

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Tbone, I also got the impression that he meant some consulates were "bastards" because they are hard on applicants because of high fraud countries and others may be bastards because they cause him grief. Not sure where Ecuador falls in that rating. From what you say, maybe the latter. Also this man is no longer involved directly with K-1 visas, but now is handling I-751s, but he did handle K-1s at one time. Some of his comments were made when Alla was in earshot for her benefit, such as "Kiev is easy, they will let anyone in" As Alla was standing next to me. She said "Hey...what do you mean by that?" LOL But really he said they were now easy but not for tourist visas (true)

He really had nothing to say about "frontloading" other that it is a consulate issue. They seem to be very compartmentalized...USCIS does their thing and sends it on, then they do their thing again for AOS and Lifting conditions, citizenship, etc. He had some off the record comments about how he feels about the citizenship test also, but I will spare him those. This was a casual outdoor dinner/bar-b-que get together and I really don't want to repeat something said "out of school"

Incredible post. A million thanks!!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent : 2009-09-02

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-09-04

I-129F RFE(s) : 2009-10-19

RFE Reply(s) : 2009-10-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-11-18

NVC Received : 2009-11-20

NVC Left : 2009-11-24

Consulate Received : 2009-12-04

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received : 2009-12-05

Interview Date : 2010-01-04 Approved.

Planned POE: 2010-01-08

Timeline
I have one questions that seems to be a hot topic. Some countries like India consider your religious divorce legal and does not need to be registered through civil authorities. What would be acceptable type of evidence for this? What do they look for EXACTLY in foreign divorce decrees. A lot of VJ members get RFE's for divorce decrees and its a difficult to proof because every country has different types of divorce decrees. Some countries you get one page with a stamp and you will get an RFE because they want the full copy of your decree.

Another good question (I am making a list) I will say this man (not a young guy) seems pretty knowledgeable in the ways of the world and that not everyone does things as here. He seemd like HE would make sensible judgements when he was an adjudicator, the example of foreign birth certificates was an example, and he said his wife had passed through petitions that were from Russian speaking countries where the divorce certificate was not translated as she could translate it herself and sometimes went to other adjudicators for questions. He said there are adjudicators there that speak various languages and sometimes they bring petitions to each other to sort out something not translated or not clear. There are also adjudicators that never leave their cubicle and if what they want isn't there, you get an RFE.

But good question. Definitely would be good to know where they draw the line.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Gary: Both messages understood completely; gracias. The "####### consulate" question meant to refer to those that give HIM or the service center grief. I suspect that a list of those from him would come pretty close to a list that give the applicants grief.

New question, again perhaps out of his immediate area of expertise: What does he recommend when civil surgeons insist on performing full medicals when only the I-693 vaccination section needs to be filled out?

Bedtime, zzz man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
Gary: Both messages understood completely; gracias. The "####### consulate" question meant to refer to those that give HIM or the service center grief. I suspect that a list of those from him would come pretty close to a list that give the applicants grief.

New question, again perhaps out of his immediate area of expertise: What does he recommend when civil surgeons insist on performing full medicals when only the I-693 vaccination section needs to be filled out?

Bedtime, zzz man.

Got it, and that should be a good one for him, he used to do the AOS interviews. He did get into I-601s a little and VAWA ("Good law but badly abused") but it is not something I really know a lot about and did not understand everything, and he kind of wandered into the suject and wandered out.

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Another good question (I am making a list) I will say this man (not a young guy) seems pretty knowledgeable in the ways of the world and that not everyone does things as here. He seemd like HE would make sensible judgements when he was an adjudicator, the example of foreign birth certificates was an example, and he said his wife had passed through petitions that were from Russian speaking countries where the divorce certificate was not translated as she could translate it herself and sometimes went to other adjudicators for questions. He said there are adjudicators there that speak various languages and sometimes they bring petitions to each other to sort out something not translated or not clear.

But good question. Definitely would be good to know where they draw the line.

I am glad some officers can be sensible and go out of their way. I hope all the officers are more like him and his wife. This shows that some people really have compassion there. Yeah, I am curious to know the answer to that question. It's amazing what we can all think of when we brainstorm questions. :)

Edited by Starlight95

...it is a consulate issue. They seem to be very compartmentalized...USCIS does their thing and sends it on, then they do their thing again for AOS and Lifting conditions, citizenship, etc.

That's so stupid - most people can agree that "throw it over the wall" types of processes never work well, and it's better to have communication and standards across the board. HMPH.

Stephen+Elisha beat me to the question about 1 or 4 pages, I was trying to psychic my way into your message "Ask about how many copies! Ask about how many copies" a la "Look behind yooooooouuu" for horror movie victims.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Thanks for taking the time to post this Gary. :thumbs:

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-02

I-129F Receipt Notice : 2008-12-05

RFE: 2009-02-26

Approval Notice: 2009-03-13

NVC Received: 2009-03-23

Left NVC: 2009-05-12

Stuck at NVC 50 days

Interview: 2009-06-23 Passed!

Visa picked up: 2009-06-25

POE Detroit: 2009-07-04

Married: 2009-09-11

Filed for AOS: 2009-09-22

Biometrics taken: 2009-10-29

Advance Parole approved 2009-11-04

Employment Authorization approved 2009-11-04

AOS Appointment 2009-12-15

AOS Approved 2009-12-15

Green Card Received 2010-01-02

Filed for ROC: 2011-09-17

ROC approved 2012-03-21

Green Card Received 2012-03-26

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Thank you for sharing that invaluable information!!!

I have a question do all of the applicants go through the same checks or do some countries go through more screening than others?

Edited by Ney

.·*¨) ¸.·*¨) ¸.·*¨*

(¸.*´ ¸.·´*'~*Ney~* (¸.*´~*

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.

- JW von Goeth

----------------------------------------------------------------

A special shout out to a wonderful lady named Jenna and the love of her life Faut!!!

LAF~

Timeline for my wonderful son & beautiful future daughter

08/27/09 K-1 Package Mailed

09/01/09 NOA1

10/14/09 NOA2 (43 Days from NOA1)

10/16/09 NVC Recieved

10/21/09 Forwarded to US Embassy in UAE

02/21/10 Interview (173 Days from NOA)

02/22/10 AP

03/07/10 Visa is ready for pick up

03/12/10 They are going to Dubai for her visa

03/18/10 Visa in hand!

4/2/2010 POE - Washington DC

4/3/2010 Arrive in Memphis

4/7/2010 Marriage by Imam! 1st Wedding

4/9/2010 Cinderella Wedding! 2nd Wedding

Officially Husband & Wife!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

What about extra documents? Proof of relationship? We don't need it, only that they have met for the fiancee visa.

So are you saying that all these people here who have been sending in a novel full of information/pictures is NOT necessary??

Feb 14, 2010 - Engaged :-)
Apr 17, 2010 - Married
May 24, 2010 - I-130 Sent to USCIS
Oct 20, 2010 - : I-130 NOA2 APPROVED..GOD IS GOOD!!!!! smile.png
Oct 26, 2010 : NVC Received
Dec 06, 2010 - Case Complete at NVC
Jan 24, 2011 - Medical exam
Feb 24, 2011 - Passed, welcome to USA
Mar 04, 2011 - POE - Detroit, MI
Mar 14, 2011 - SSN# Rec'd
Mar 24, 2011 - smile.png GC and Welcome Letter
Sept 19, 2011- Filed I-130 for my son (his step son)
June 14, 2013-APPROVED, 10 YR GC IN THE MAIL

Mar 3, 2014- N-400

May 12, 2014 Interview for Citizenship- PASSED!

June 12th, USA citizen - Oath Ceremony...all done here!!

What about extra documents? Proof of relationship? We don't need it, only that they have met for the fiancee visa.

So are you saying that all these people here who have been sending in a novel full of information/pictures is NOT necessary??

It's not necessary for USCIS. The VSC director stated that the consulates are a whole 'nother ball game.

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.