34 posts in this topic

I am a divorce waiver. I was approved without an interview because I think I had exhaustive evidence of my bona fide marriage. Additionally, my ex-wife wrote an affidavit explaining the circumstances that lead up to our divorce: for one, she wasn't happy anymore among other things. Having a cooperative spouse that can provide you with joint evidence and a good affidavit is helpful.

Here's the link to my review which also has a list of evidence submitted: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/262003-divorce-waiver-approved/

100% Naturalized U.S.D.A. Prime American

proud_filipino_american_trucker_hat.jpg?

• 5 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I'm about to submit my paperwork in the next few days. With regards to photographs, how many should I send ? I have about 40 printed out, is that too many ?

And should I just put them in a zip-lok bag with the information about each picture, I should I glue 2 on a page of paper, with information about the picture below ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I didn't send any. Photos are secondary evidence and not very good secondary evidence at that. Anyone can take photos. They prefe to see DOCUMENTS that you are together, especially documents mingling assets, joint care of chldren, insurance, etc.

Likewise affidavits from friends and family. What would a fraudulent couple provide? Joint mortgage or a letter from "mom"? Life insurance for which the spouse is a beneficiary...or photos?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
include those darn AFFIDAVITS! It is #5 on their request list (as of 12.31.2010), so, yeah, it does matter.
I asked an immigration attorney about this matter, just this week. He said that the affidavits are not required, and that they're helpful for couples whose other evidence may be lacking. Upon hearing me describe my own situation, he said that I could skip sending them. Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 2 months later...
Timeline

I asked an immigration attorney about this matter, just this week. He said that the affidavits are not required, and that they're helpful for couples whose other evidence may be lacking. Upon hearing me describe my own situation, he said that I could skip sending them.

I didn;t send any affidavits or photos and ours was approved without an interview.

i granted my permanent resident last nov.2010. and my filing of form I-751 SAYS THE SECOND ANNIVERSARY the day i got my green card. im confuse. any advise there when can i file my form I-751?

You send it 90 days BEFORE your green card expires.

Why take chances on being refused? I write the affidavits myself and just get them to sign and have notarized (and of course approve what I've written and verify it's truth). It's on the list, at least 2. I've seen people with attorneys have their submissions delayed more than people without and the cost is that much more.

This is why affidavits are not considered primary evidence. You can make them yourself. I did not send ANY affidaits and did not send ANY photos. No RFE's and no interview. Approved in 5 months.

Gary And Alla

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi everybody, I want to know if it is enough to show joint accounts with the statement of the bank accounts and the statement of the credit cards or if I should ask to the banks for a formal letter that says we joint the account? my other questions is related to the tax return. Is the form 1040 the only one that I should provide or should I send them the complete tax return. or what page should I send? Thank you so much in advance for the information that somebody can provide me.

I sent the most recent three bank statements AND a copy of the bank letter we used for the original AOS just to show continuity. Bank statements are fine. I attached copies of the 1040 form ONLY to show joint filing. We were approved without an interview and without RFEs

Gary And Alla

• 1 month later...

for my best knowledge the letters are not required but if you don't have enough evidence you might wanna send it. I sent my papers without any letters, we sent a big package (im a may filer so i did not get any response yet)

we sent

Bank account with both names

house lease

bills for the last 2 years

copies of tax returns

health insurance (both names)

car titles(both names)

house title (both names)

some pictures

copy of my green card

copy of driver license

christmas cards (with both names from us and to us)

thats what I remember now.

Good luck!

- Delivered to VSC 05/09/11

- NOA receipt date 05/09/11

- Check cashed 05/12/11

- Biometrics letter in the mail 06/02/11

- Biometrics appointment 06/17/11

- Approved 01/27/12

• 3 months later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I am in the process of preparing to file my i-751 but it seems that my folder is pretty thin and I am not sure if I have the right or sufficient documents:

- Cover Letter signed by my husband, the petitioner (US Citizen)

- Check for $590.00

- I-751 Form (3 pages)

- Copy of Passport

- Copy of Green Card

- Copy of U.S. Tax Return for 2010 and 2011

- Copy of my State Retirement account summary, showing my husband as the beneficiary

- Copy of my 401K account summary, showing my husband as the beneficiary

- Copy of car registration, showing joint ownership

- Copy of bank account statement showing joint account

- Copy of Health Insurance Cards showing joint policy

- Three Affidavit from our friends.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

NCWife

“You need to be aware of what others are doing, applaud their efforts, acknowledge their successes, and encourage them in their pursuits. When we all help one another, everybody wins.” - Jim Stovall -

Our Journey

2008-08-15 .......... Married on K-1!!!!

2009-08-28 .......... Sent AOS (I-485 and I-765) Application to Chicago

2009-09-11 .......... NOA 1 for I-485 and I-765

2009-09-25 .......... Biometrics Appointment in Charlotte, NC (walk-in)

2009-10-08 .......... EAD Approved (CRIS update)

2009-10-08 .......... I-485 Touched, I-485 Case transferred to CSC (CRIS update)

2009-10-09 .......... Biometrics Appointment #2 in Charlotte, NC (walk-in)

2009-10-15 .......... I-485 Case transferred to USCIS office

2009-10-16 .......... I-485 Touched, EAD card arrived in the mail

2009-10-19 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-04 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-05 .......... I-485 RFE (CRIS update)

2009-11-06 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-10 .......... RFE arrived in the mail

2009-11-12 .......... RFE response sent back to CSC

2009-11-17 .......... RFE Received at CSC (CRIS update)

2009-11-18 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-23 .......... I-485 Notice that new permanent resident status has been registered

2009-11-24 .......... I-485 Card production ordered

2009-11-25 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-30 .......... I-485 Approval Notice sent, Permanent Resident Card in the mail!!!

• 2 months later...

There was some information similar but not quite as informed as Gary and Alla had on another web page I go to. Employee said for proof we should send many of the things already suggested BUT do not send too much. No binders or tabs. They just have to take them apart and it is annoying. Also, might make them believe it is fluff to cover a weak case.

He suggested just a few pictures. Maybe of vacations and family. NO ALBUMS

Interesting to me was that they must process 11 an hour. And so giant applications might end up at the bottom. Remember that these people are not some faceless bureaucrats as we want to imagine but all humans with different approches [ just look at Embassy interviews as an example ].

I just sent 1 of each - joint credit cards, bank statement, utility bills and plus a few others. I used IRS Tax Return Transcript as it carries more weight. Pictures of us thgether in AZ, CA, WI and in big city plus with family.

Also, I had no Affidavits and no mortgage and no health insurance. Mailed in Sept. 2011 and received Green Card in November, 2011.

The man I am using as reference reminds us that this is easiest of K-1, AOS and ROC. I believe they are trying to say YES rather than NO. As Gary and Alla point out, as long as marriage is legit we should be OK eventually.

I think the big question is - What Is Wrong With Vermont ! I had Calif. :blush:

• 2 months later...

If your wife drives, doesn't she need to be listed on your auto insurance? Besides the fact that it's good ROC evidence, it's also important in the event (God forbid) that she gets in an accident while driving.

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Our I-751 evidence........enough or do I need more?

2010 and 2011 tax returns showing myself and spouse as "Married - Filing Jointly"

Bank statements for 4 seperate shared saving and checking accounts.

2 Car titles with both of listed as co-owners.

Copy of my life insurace policy with wife listed as beneficiary.

Copy of wife's life insurance policy with myself listed as beneficiary.

Copy of our shared dental policy card.

Copy of our shared health policy card.

Copy of our shared auto insurace cards.

Copy of booking confirmation for our upcoming vacation to Europe.

Copy of passport with wife new name.

I-130                                                            CR-1

Filed: 1/13/2010                                         NVC Receive: 3/31/2010

NOA1: 1/22/2010                                       Consulate Receive: 3/31/2010 

NOA2: 2/3/2010                                         Interview: 4/26/2010

Approval: 5/13/2010

Date of Entry: 5/17/2010

I-751                                                            N-400

Filed: 2/18/2012                                        Filed: 2/11/2021

NOA1: 2/23/2012                                      NOA1: 2/12/2021

Biometrics: 3/12/2012                             Biometrics: Reuse Notice 2/19/2021

Interview: N/A                                            Interview: 4/6/2021

Approval: 7/11/2012                                Approval: 4/6/2021

Green Card Received: 7/19/2011

Oath of Allegiance: 5/6/2021

• 2 months later...
Timeline

I'm reading through the instructions of what to submit and was wondering if the affidavits are a "must" or a "nice to have"? I noticed that several people don't have them listed and on the first page of this thread they were in the "useless or not so useful" category. That makes sense since it's not really difficult to come up with two friends writing a letter.

Any insight on this?

Thanks!

Neither really. We never used affidavits for any part of the process. We also sent no photos with the ROC papers. They are definitely NOT a "must" and since they are something you create yourself they are way low on the "evidence scale" MUCH better is financial mingling documents and third party documents, insurance, medical records, life insurance, etc. Things you cannot fake.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

You know Alla, I was always curious regarding those data elements that are considered "hard" evidence. After all, government is not really efficient cross referencing the info (if they were, people who are here illegally would not be able to pay taxes, as IRS and USCIS could easily cross reference SSNs on tax returns with their immigration records at USCIS...) Moreover, it seems that the databases that they use do not really feed in to one main national database... In any case, what I am getting to, is that with modern technology advances (PhotoShop anyone?) any document can be created and made look "legitimate" - insurance cards, bank statements, copies of credit cards, and photos if necessary.

I am not advocating forging documents, I just think that USCIS process is really old fashioned and much behind times.. If they indeed would have agents calling insurance companies and banks, all process would take even longer... In any case, someone really needs to get some 6 Sigma initiatives in USCIS:) And allow online document submissions, e-signatures, etc... Easy solution: do Mint.com type portal and make people use online account info to connect their banking info, insurance, etc to application - problem for forging docs would be solved..

I do not disagree that they could be modernized and I am sure one day they will be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 1990's. Until then...photos and affidavits are so easily faked I never used any. I mean I could type and send you three affidavits myself and I could manage to get them notarized even. Photoshop can be done by most 6th graders. I can change the date in my camera and I am borderline computer illiterate.

In the entire process, I-129f to Citizenship, I sent ONE photo with the I-129f, showed FOUR photos at the K-1 interview and that was it. Never another. They are just basically BS. So what, I have photos.

While I suppose it is possible to fake school records, medical records, bank statements, insurance forms, mortgages, etc., it is more readily accepted by USCIS as genuine or indicitive of a marriage relationship and that's the name of that tune...at least for now.

PS this is Gary, but Alla agrees with me because she knows I am always right. :P

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

• 10 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

6 posts that are bickering that derails the topic removed. please stay on topic. do not make it personal with another member.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Here is a copy of our cover letter for anyone who is looking for a sample.

USCIS has a new I-751 form on their website, I downloaded the form a few months ago and they replaced it with a new 5 page form in April, so just a heads up on that. I almost sent the old form in. oops8rh.gif

Attached is an executed I-751 package for Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence with supporting documentation and required filing fee of $590

This documentation is as follows:

1. Check for $590 payable to U. S.Department of Homeland Security

2. Form I-751 – 5 pages

3. Copy of Green Card – front and back – 1 page

4. Tax Return Transcript for April 2010 – 6 pages

5. Tax Return Transcript for April 2011 - 6 pages

6. Copy of Application for Extension of Time to File Income Tax Return for 2012 – 1 page

7. Bank Statements from bank showing Joint Account – 7 pages.

8. Copy of Bank Statements in Canada until Account closed – 3 pages

9. Copy of American Express Credit cards showing joint accounts and sample transactions – 11 pages

10. Copies of joint checking account Wells Fargo - 5 pages 10-B Sample transactions 5 pages

11. USAA Statement Showing spouse as Beneficiary – 1 page

12. USAA Life Insurance Statement with spouse as Beneficiary – 1 page

13. Warranty Deed on Home purchase showing Joint Ownership – 1 page

14. Documents pertaining to home purchase including : renovations, pest services, taxes, home insurance and other

documents showing joint ownership – 11 pages

15. Utility Bills for house in Joint Names - 4 pages

16. Property Appraiser showing property joint ownership- 2 pages

17. Military ID showing husband as sponsor for Military ID issued to wife – 1 page

18. Drug Cards – 1 page

19. Dental Health Benefits Cards and premium payments – 5 pages

20. Billing from hospital – 2 pages

21. Medical Insurance claim summary showing benefits paid for spouse – 3 pages

22. Delta travel itineraries, luggage claims and boarding passes showing travel together – 13 pages

23. Facebook profiles showing relationship - 5 pages

24. 2010, 2012 Christmas letter and Card sent out - 2 pages

25. Open house guest registry, invitation and well wishes documents 3 pages

26. Christmas cards - 6 pages

27. Photographs and documents pertaining to couples life together. – 34 pages

28. Vehicle Insurances and driver licenses – 3 pages

We believe the attached executed form and accompanying documents meet the requirements set forth to process the I-751 petition to remove the conditional basis of alien resident status.

Sincerely,

Edited by Margie Krebs

Marriage 2010-10-09

I-130 Sent : 2010-10-12

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-10-20

I-130 Approved : 2011-03-31

NVC Received : 2011-04-13

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2011-04-22

Pay I-864 Bill 2011-04-22

Receive I-864 Package : 2011-04-26

Return Completed I-864 : 2011-05-03

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2011-05-01

Receive IV Bill : 2011-04-27

Pay IV Bill : 2011-04-27

Receive Instruction Package : 2011-04-29

Case Completed at NVC : 2011-05-20

Interview Date Montreal : 2011-07-19

Interview Result : Approved

POE Coutts, Ab : 2011-07-29

I-751 Sent : May 01, 2013

Early Biometrics : May 28, 2013

I-751 Approved: August 26, 2013 dancin5hr.gif

VSC has actually suddenly sped up! Lots of Nov filers getting approved now (6 months). We got out approval today. Here is what we sent:

- Copy of our lease from our house we moved into in 2011.

- Copy of our health insurance cards as well as all the previous ones from during our marriage.

- Bank statements for our joint account (full) from 2011 & 2012 (every 4 months)

- Birth certificates from our 2 kids

- Cell phone contract (my name only but shows family plan)

- Car insurance showing both our names

- Pictures from the last 2 years including our trip to Bolivia with my sister and his family, the day our son was born, holidays with my family and our trip to visit my grandparents in Boston

- A copy of our travel confirmation and ticket stubs from our trip to Bolivia

- Joint tax return from 2010 and 2011 (pretty sure I forgot to include the W-2s, but I guess they didn't care).

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.