antda

N-400: I got an RFE from CRIS..What more do they want?...

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Just to update and let all you VJers know that....

The neighbour's pet rooster crowing extra loud very early this morning and my baby's crying woke me up this morning, yet again, and I couldn't back to sleep. But for some weird reason, insead of attempting to go back to sleep or going to feed the baby right away, like I usually do, instead, I decided that I should check my e-mail first.

So I checked my e-mail this morning, only to find an e-mail from the USCIS which said:

Case Status Information for Receipt Number: NBC*XXXXXXXXX

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 5:00 AM

To: (my e-mail address here)

*** DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS E-MAIL ***

The last processing action taken on your case

Receipt Number: NBC*XXXXXXXXX

Application Type: N400 , APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION

Current Status: Request for Additional Evidence Sent

On September 22, 2009, we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION. Please follow the instructions on the notice to submit the requested information. This case will be in suspense until we receive the evidence or the opportunity to submit it expires. Once we receive the requested evidence or information and make a decision on the case, you will be notified by mail. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

If you have questions or concerns about your application or the case status results listed above, or if you have not received a decision from USCIS within the current processing time listed*, please contact USCIS Customer Service at (800) 375-5283.

*Current processing times can be found on the USCIS website at www.uscis.gov under Check My Case Status and Check Processing Times.

*** Please do not respond to this e-mail message.

Sincerely,

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

An RFE? Huh? I thought that I had sent them enough evidence already (surely 100+ pages is more than enough, right?).

So I logged on and checked on CRIS, just to make sure that this e-mail was not a hoax, and found the same message there too, which said:

Request for Evidence

On September 22, 2009, we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION. Please follow the instructions on the notice to submit the requested information. This case will be in suspense until we receive the evidence or the opportunity to submit it expires. Once we receive the requested evidence or information and make a decision on the case, you will be notified by mail. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

A request for evidence is made when an application/petition is lacking required documentation/evidence (initial evidence) or the officer needs more documentation/evidence (additional evidence) to determine an applicant's eligibility for the benefit sought. We may send you a request for evidence at any stage of our review. The request will indicate what evidence or information is needed for us to fully evaluate your application or petition. The notice will explain where to send the evidence and will give the deadline for your response. Your application or petition will be held in suspense during that time. If you receive a request for evidence and have questions about what you need to submit, you may call our National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.

Again I wondered what was going on there....An RFE, what the heck?

But then I remembered what some other vjers have mentioned about RFEs being Biometrics letters instead...So I thought to myself:

"I wonder if this means that I will get the biometrics letter in the mail soon? If that is the case, then this 'RFE' is a good thing!"

Hopefully this indeed is the biometrics letter...and not an actual rfe...What more would they want otherwise?

For those of you who checked your case status for your N-400 on CRIS and got CRIS e-mail updates, did it look something like this too?

Lol..Seriously, the USCIS should consider having separate e-mails for biometrics purposes. Why send notice of an RFE (and worry a lot of people in the process too) when they are not getting RFEs but in fact are getting something else instead?

So now I wait for my mail again and plan another trip to the mile-away mailbox...Wondering about this "Mysterous RFE..."

Oh well, at least the USCIS "touched" my file, so that's ok, right?

"RFE or Biometrics?"...That is the question....!!!

Any other thoughts, ideas, suggestions, humour, jokes, appreciated too....

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I wonder when they started updating N-400s on CRIS? My wife's case still says her case is received and pending - and she's been a citizen now for almost four weeks. :)

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Hi Jsnearline and Everyone,

It's still the same old CRIS, but with a "new face"...unreliable and doesn't work properly...

What a waste of our application fees and money indeed!

The USCIS' version of an update: New graphics and decorations...(which makes it even worse to load on slower computers). And what's the deal with the statue of liberty shadow figure in the background figure and the mobile/text message updates?

Forget about the images, and actually make a system that is updated and actually works properly!

I'm sure vjers can do a better job at improving CRIS than the USCIS!

Lol..I say..Don't rely on CRIS. Your wife is a USC and you have the certificate to prove it. No need to check on CRIS anymore, now that you're "done".

CRIS is entertaining though...But don't bet your life on it!

Wait for "old-fashioned" paper by the mailbox instead!

Ant

I wonder when they started updating N-400s on CRIS? My wife's case still says her case is received and pending - and she's been a citizen now for almost four weeks. :)
Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Ant

Most people that got that e-mail all they received was the biometrics appointment letter.

In my case I discovered that as well as the biometrics appointment there was in fact an RFE I didn't receive. I discovered it because the alleged RFE and biometrics appointment letter had different dates so I followed it up. However even that seems not to be a good guide as some who only received a biometrics letter, that letter was dated differently from the alleged RFE.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Hi Ant;

Thanks for your post. Its funny, I got the same thing this morning. I am also concerned as to what do they want now..........I aint sure.....I even e-mailed my lawyer but even he seemed to be surprised. First I thought it was the finger-print notice but I am no longer sure...Guess the suspense is on.......Like you...I'll be waiting for the mail man. I hope my mailman will deliver........

TMT

Hi Everyone,

The neighbour's pet rooster crowing extra loud very early this morning and my baby's crying woke me up this morning, yet again, and I couldn't back to sleep. But for some weird reason, insead of attempting to go back to sleep or going to feed the baby right away, like I usually do, instead, I decided that I should check my e-mail first.

So I checked my e-mail this morning, only to find an e-mail from the USCIS which said:

If you have questions or concerns about your application or the case status results listed above, or if you have not received a decision from USCIS within the current processing time listed*, please contact USCIS Customer Service at (800) 375-5283.

*Current processing times can be found on the USCIS website at www.uscis.gov under Check My Case Status and Check Processing Times.

Sincerely,

An RFE? Huh? I thought that I had sent them enough evidence already (surely 100+ pages is more than enough, right?).

So I logged on and checked on CRIS, just to make sure that this e-mail was not a hoax, and found the same message there too, which said:

Request for Evidence

A request for evidence is made when an application/petition is lacking required documentation/evidence (initial evidence) or the officer needs more documentation/evidence (additional evidence) to determine an applicant's eligibility for the benefit sought. We may send you a request for evidence at any stage of our review. The request will indicate what evidence or information is needed for us to fully evaluate your application or petition. The notice will explain where to send the evidence and will give the deadline for your response. Your application or petition will be held in suspense during that time. If you receive a request for evidence and have questions about what you need to submit, you may call our National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.

But then I remembered what some other vjers have mentioned about RFEs being Biometrics letters instead...So I thought to myself:

"I wonder if this means that I will get the biometrics letter in the mail soon? If that is the case, then this 'RFE' is a good thing!"

Hopefully this indeed is the biometrics letter...and not an actual rfe...What more would they want otherwise?

For those of you who checked your case status for your N-400 on CRIS and got CRIS e-mail updates, did it look something like this too?

Lol..Seriously, the USCIS should consider having separate e-mails for biometrics purposes. Why send notice of an RFE (and worry a lot of people in the process too) when they are not getting RFEs but in fact are getting something else instead?

So now I wait for my mail again and plan another trip to the mile-away mailbox...Wondering about this "Mysterous RFE..."

Ant

Hi Ant;

Thanks for your post. Its funny, I got the same thing this morning. I am also concerned as to what do they want now..........I aint sure.....I even e-mailed my lawyer but even he seemed to be surprised. First I thought it was the finger-print notice but I am no longer sure...Guess the suspense is on.......Like you...I'll be waiting for the mail man. I hope my mailman will deliver........

TMT

Hi Everyone,

Sincerely,

Request for Evidence

Ant

Filed: IR-5 Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hi Everyone,

Sincerely,

Request for Evidence

Ant

Ant:

I got the same email and 7 days later I received my Biometrics approinment. So like you said it. I guest would be some trips to your mailbox!!!!!!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Maryces21

Mother's Journey

12/30/11 Sent I-130 Petition to CSC

01/14/11 Received NOA 1 (Priority date 01/02/11)

02/14/11 Could see case online

05/04/11 Waiting.......I am pregnant and I wish my Mom could be here when baby is born

05/23/11 Received email. Case approved. Yeahhhhhh

05/26/11 Received NOA 2 in the mail.

--------------NVC stage-----------------

06/07/11 NVC received case.

06/08/11 Called to give emails and got IIN.

06/10/11 Sent DS3032 email and paid AOS fee. Received auto response 15 seconds later.

06/14/11 AOS Showed Paid. Sent AOS Package.

06/16/11 NVC Received and accepted DS3032. AOS Package was delivered to NVC.

06/17/11 Paid IV fee.

06/22/11 IV Showed Paid.

06/23/11 Sent DS-230 via Express Mail.

06/24/11 DS 230 was delivered by USPS.

06/28/11 AOS was accepted per AVR.

06/30/11 Received AOS check list. Missing DS-230. (It was sent 06/23/11)

07/07/11 Case Complete per AVR and operator. Waiting for interview date.

08/01/11 Per NVC Operator Interview date 09/28/11

09/26/11 Medical test. Passed!!!!

09/28/11 Interview date @ BGT embassy. Approved!!!!!!!

10/06/11 Visa arrived.

10/19/11 Arrived to USA. POE ORLANDO

11/14/11 Received Green Card

Hey Ant,

I don't think it's nothing to worry about... I've also seen may VJer's who have recieved a RFE Email not RFE Letter and it was just a sign that their biometrics notice was being mailed.

I also signed up for email alarts and recieved an RFE email that looks identical to yours. The email was also sent on the same day Septemeber 22... I think the email is more of a generic thing then anything else.

Once again I wouldn't worry to much about... Let's give it a couple of days to see what one of us gets in the mail.

N-400:

Sent Application to Texas Lockbox- 09/10/2009

Notice of Action: 09/21/2009

Fingerprint Notice Recieved: 09/26/09

Fingerprint Appointment: 10/07/09

Interview Notice: --/--/--

Interview Date: --/--/--

Oath Ceremony: --/--/--

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I agree - just wait and see exactly what document arrives. Hope all goes well - good luck! :thumbs:

Unless of course there is an RFE and the NOA for the biometrics. If you then let the time for responding to the RFE run out the case gets closed, it is very difficult if not impossible to get it reopened. You then have to start again and are out $675.

Unfortunately there is a risk albeit a small one it just doing nothing. I would have been one of the unlucky ones if I hadn't followed it up.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

OK GUYS THE RFE THAT I GOT IN MY MAIL.. THAT THEY NEED MORE EVIDENCE .for me ITS THE BIOMETRICS APPOITMENT ..I GOT IT ON THE 10/08/2009 . thank god . I know that some of you also got this email .:] saying that they need more evidence. good luck :]

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your quick and helpful responses. Below are my replies to your responses:

Lansbury-Oh my, sorry to hear that your RFE e-mail was actually an RFE, instead of a biometrics letter. See, that's what I was worried about too: Is it the biometrics letter, like everyone else says they got, or is it actually an RFE? If you don't mind me asking, what was your RFE for? Did you respond to it? How did you respond to it? Did they respond back after you sent in the evidence for the rfe? Good thing you were smart enough to follow through with it, since it has different dates. Did you also get a biometrics letter in the end after that too? How long after the RFE did you get your biometrics letter? Hopefully this RFE didn't cause too much of a delay in your case. I agree, one better respond to an RFE in time, or risk getting their case closed. Lol..and no, spending another $675 in such a short period of time over again is not an option (at least for me anyways...I'm broke enough as it is...). I agree too, there is a small risk in doing nothing. One has to take an active role in pursuing as to what happens in their case, especially with all the money, time, effort, etc. spent into it. Just because the USCIS makes mistakes, doesn't mean we have to, right?

Most people that got that e-mail all they received was the biometrics appointment letter.

In my case I discovered that as well as the biometrics appointment there was in fact an RFE I didn't receive. I discovered it because the alleged RFE and biometrics appointment letter had different dates so I followed it up. However even that seems not to be a good guide as some who only received a biometrics letter, that letter was dated differently from the alleged RFE.

Unless of course there is an RFE and the NOA for the biometrics. If you then let the time for responding to the RFE run out the case gets closed, it is very difficult if not impossible to get it reopened. You then have to start again and are out $675.

Unfortunately there is a risk albeit a small one it just doing nothing. I would have been one of the unlucky ones if I hadn't followed it up.

Tmt-You're welcome for the post. Just wondering if other vjers had the same experience, and hope that it helps other vjers look out for the same thing too. Interesting to know that you received the same thing too, and that you and your lawyer (you used a lawyer for the N-400?) didn't know what it meant either. The suspense is on indeed, and hopefully we'll figure out what exactly this notification is about. Meanwhile, we all continue waiting for mail delivery. By the way, if you are a September 2009 N-400 filer, feel free to add your name and N-400 information to this vj list too: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry3314253

Hi Ant;

TMT

Maryces21-Good to hear that in your case that the RFE notification was actually a biometrics letter. Thanks for telling about your good experience here. That's what I hope will happen to me and to others who are still waiting too. Meanwhile, more trips to the mailbox for the rest of us....

I got the same email and 7 days later I received my Biometrics approinment. So like you said it. I guest would be some trips to your mailbox!!!!!!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Linaj-Likewise, I've seen other vjers who gor the same thing too. Interesting to know that you got the same rfe e-mail too, as our N-400 timelines are quite similar to each other. I agree, I think it might be a generic thing, as a couple of us seem to have gotten the same thing, and yet not all of us had actually rfes. Meanwhile, back to waiting at the mailbox...

Hey Ant,

I don't think it's nothing to worry about... I've also seen may VJer's who have recieved a RFE Email not RFE Letter and it was just a sign that their biometrics notice was being mailed.

I also signed up for email alarts and recieved an RFE email that looks identical to yours. The email was also sent on the same day Septemeber 22... I think the email is more of a generic thing then anything else.

Once again I wouldn't worry to much about... Let's give it a couple of days to see what one of us gets in the mail.

KikiDoug-Oh yeah, I'll definitely be waiting and seeing as to what document arrives. No clue as to what will happen next, but will do what the document in the mail asks of me anyways....Did you get the same e-mail and/or document before too?

I agree - just wait and see exactly what document arrives. Hope all goes well - good luck! :thumbs:

Jovana-Danijel-We have the same/similar N-400 timelines, so based on that, I would think it would be the same for me too. Good to hear that in your case that the RFE notification was actually a biometrics letter, which you got recently. Thanks for telling about your good experience here. That's what I hope will happen to me and to others who are still waiting too. Meanwhile, more trips to the mailbox for the rest of us....

OK GUYS THE RFE THAT I GOT IN MY MAIL.. THAT THEY NEED MORE EVIDENCE .for me ITS THE BIOMETRICS APPOITMENT ..I GOT IT ON THE 10/08/2009 . thank god . I know that some of you also got this email .:] saying that they need more evidence. good luck :]

Ant

We had received an RFE which was actually to bring original marriage certificate and 3 yrs tax returns to the interview. They didnt even look at that during the interview. However on thing they did ask for and which was not listed in the documents was my wife's birth certificate. Good thing she had it on her. So do take your birth certificate even though they dont ask for it

Sheraz-Thanks for telling about the RFE for the marriage certificate, tax returns, and immigrant's birth certificate. I already sent a copy of the marriage certificate my application, so no problems there (will bring the original to the interview too). The lack of tax returns I explained about, so hopefully not too many problems there. Interesting though, to find out about the birth certificate, even though it is not required or listed for such. However, I think it my case it will cause additional problems, as it is another country besides my former country of citizenship (Canada). I did explain about my Canadian citizenship (and enclosed copies of my Canadian passport and naturalization cert.), so hopefully that will satisfy their birth certificate requirements there, and will bring those Canadian documents to the interview too. Lol..just in case, I'll still search for my birth certificate and will bring it...but I'm not going to volunteer to show such...if they ask, fine...I just don't want to add more confusion to my file by including a another country (besides Canada)...lol..my N-400 file is confusing and overwhelming as it is now...100+ pages of evidence sent already..that should be more than enough for them, right?....Will bring all originals nevertheless...

We had received an RFE which was actually to bring original marriage certificate and 3 yrs tax returns to the interview. They didnt even look at that during the interview. However on thing they did ask for and which was not listed in the documents was my wife's birth certificate. Good thing she had it on her. So do take your birth certificate even though they dont ask for it
Edited by Ant+D+A

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.