Lancelotte25

Got Married in P.I., Got Divorced in the States

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
"The rule is simple. If a citizen of the Philippines - they are governed by philippine law. However - Philippine law contains an exception for filipinos who marry a foreigner. If the Foreigner files the divorce outside the Philippines - the Philippine government recognizes this divorce as valid as a relief to the filipino who themselves is not allowed to divorce. This exception ONLY applies if the foreign spouse (Not the filipino) files the divorce."

DITTO!

I've been trying to find the link for this but couldn't.

OPs wife WAS married in PI both times.

Her husband did file for the divorce.

She needs to register with NSO or the courts. Don't know the process.

Been here and done this LOL . If her CENOMAR comes back as Married before, then she needs to go to NSO with the divorce papers and they will clear her so she can get a new CENOMAR. Its simple, just need to pass around some piso so they expedite the paperwork for her. As long as the USC petitioned for the divorce, NOT the filipino citizen, then she is ok to remarry. This was challenged in the Philippines Courts a few years ago because originally they did not recognize ANY divorce. Case was like this, Foreigner married filipina, then he divorced her and never brought her to his country. He then met another filipina and went to Philippines and married new filipina #2. meanwhile filipina#1 was screwed for life and could never get married again. Therefore, new ruling came out, to be fair to the filipino citizen, if their foreign spouse divorces them, they can get married again. By the way, in another year or so, there will be divorce in Philippines. Its comming.

"The rule is simple. If a citizen of the Philippines - they are governed by philippine law. However - Philippine law contains an exception for filipinos who marry a foreigner. If the Foreigner files the divorce outside the Philippines - the Philippine government recognizes this divorce as valid as a relief to the filipino who themselves is not allowed to divorce. This exception ONLY applies if the foreign spouse (Not the filipino) files the divorce."

DITTO!

Been here and done this LOL . If her CENOMAR comes back as Married before, then she needs to go to NSO with the divorce papers and they will clear her so she can get a new CENOMAR. Its simple, just need to pass around some piso so they expedite the paperwork for her. As long as the USC petitioned for the divorce, NOT the filipino citizen, then she is ok to remarry. This was challenged in the Philippines Courts a few years ago because originally they did not recognize ANY divorce. Case was like this, Foreigner married filipina, then he divorced her and never brought her to his country. He then met another filipina and went to Philippines and married new filipina #2. meanwhile filipina#1 was screwed for life and could never get married again. Therefore, new ruling came out, to be fair to the filipino citizen, if their foreign spouse divorces them, they can get married again. By the way, in another year or so, there will be divorce in Philippines. Its comming.

You mean divorce is going to be legal in the Philippines soon? Wow, that would be the day!

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

DITTO!

You mean divorce is going to be legal in the Philippines soon? Wow, that would be the day!

Yes, its already been talked about among many senators and has many votes that will approve it. For the past several years the subject has been getting more and more popular. Really they have it now, its called anullment, another term used for Rich man's divorce. Anybody can get an anullment in Philippines if you have a couple of hundred thousand piso for lawyer and court fees and also about 1 year to wait while it gets processed.

My wife were once married in the year 1991 to a USC, and got divorced in the year 1995.

She is a USC now,I know her thru my aunt in the year 2003, we got married in the Philippines on July 2008.

Any info that after her divorced in the States, she is free to get married again?

Where was your wife first married?

Also who initiated her divorce? Her or the ex hubby?

She got married in the Philippines in 1991.

Her husband initiated the divorce in 1995.

As long as the USC initiated and filed for divorce, then she is free. The Philippines government would recognize this divorce since it was filed by the USC. The Philippines government won't recognize the divorce if the filer is the filipina. The filipina should file for annulment here in the Philippines to dissolve the marriage.

If she is not able to submit the divorce paper, she should do it immediately to change her status in the NSO.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: yes this is true...

N-400:
May 9, 2017: N-400 packet was sent
May 15, 2017: NOA1 
June 05, 2017: Biometric Done
June 19, 2017: Case is in Line for an Interview
June 25, 2018: USCIS Scheduled an Interview
Aug. 02, 2018: Interview Date- APPROVED!
Aug. 09, 2018: Oath Ceremony

My Group

My Blog

DITTO!

Haole,

There is a website sponsored by the Philippines government that answers any legal issues that any filipino has concern about. Most of the answer came from Philippines lawyers. Unfortunately i could not also find the link. Would send it to you once i found it.

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

DITTO!

Haole,

There is a website sponsored by the Philippines government that answers any legal issues that any filipino has concern about. Most of the answer came from Philippines lawyers. Unfortunately i could not also find the link. Would send it to you once i found it.

yes if a fil. citizen married a foreign citizen, and when the foreign citizen filed a divorced in other country the divorce decree will honor by our govt. but if the fil. citizen initiate the divorce then it will not recognize by the govt. bcoz there is no divorce here in our country, but today our court recognized it already when u filed the divorce on the court and done with the process... after recognized by the court then u will bring the divorce decree to the municipal where u had the wedding and they will put annotation on the mc and u will bring it also to the nso for amendments then that is the time u can request for a cenomar... the nso will put annotaion on the mc.. says DISSOLVE CAUSE NO DIVORCE HERE.... :)

Edited by happyme
N-400:

My Group

My Blog

Thank you very much guys for all the inputs, One thing is, we did not made any paperworks to NSO to amend her status before we got married, because our time is very limited, she's allowed to stay in P.I. for 30 days only.

Do you think this will not cause any problems? :unsure:

Dec 15,2009 - Assigned interview date on January 24,2010!!

Jan. 24, 2010 - Interview!! Approved

Jan. 28, 2010 - VISA received

Mar. 03,2010 - POE, New York (JFK)

Apr. 12,2010- CA ID

May 20,2010- CA Driving License

May, 25,2010-Wife told me that she is pregnant ^_^

Jan.25,2011- Our daughter was born

Lee and Jen + Karenza

Thank you very much guys for all the inputs, One thing is, we did not made any paperworks to NSO to amend her status before we got married, because our time is very limited, she's allowed to stay in P.I. for 30 days only.

MAYBE NO.. WHEN SHE GETS BACK HERE IN PHIL. SHE CAN DO IT... :star:

N-400:

My Group

My Blog

MAYBE NO.. WHEN SHE GETS BACK HERE IN PHIL. SHE CAN DO IT... :star:

I see, Thank you very much HappyMe :thumbs:

Apr. 12,2010- CA ID

Lee and Jen + Karenza

If the CO asks for a NSO marriage index you guys will be delayed until she squares things away. Right now she is committing bigamy in the records of the Philippine government.

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

DITTO!

Haole,

Yeah I've seen it and can't find it.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Ex-husband initiated the divorce so meaning she was legally free to remarry in which they did plus, she is already a US citizen now.. I didn't really see any problem at all and the wife is the sponsor, Lancelotte is the beneficiary? Am I correct here? :unsure:

If the CO asks for a NSO marriage index you guys will be delayed until she squares things away. Right now she is committing bigamy in the records of the Philippine government.

its only a record... and there's no problem bcoz she's already in the us now... what she's not done yet is that to change the record.. so think it will not be a problem bcoz if someone question her then she can show the divorce decree.. she can do that when she returns here.. its ok.. :star:

Edited by happyme
N-400:

My Group

My Blog

Ex-husband initiated the divorce so meaning she was legally free to remarry in which they did plus, she is already a US citizen now.. I didn't really see any problem at all and the wife is the sponsor, Lancelotte is the beneficiary? Am I correct here? :unsure:

Tama ka jan Bituin, I am the beneficiary. :blush:Sana nga lang everything will be fine, besides dito naman sa Saudi namin aayusin ang petisyon not in the Philippines. :whistle:

Apr. 12,2010- CA ID

Lee and Jen + Karenza

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.