thetreble

Most Customer Friendly US Bank?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My bank is a credit union, PFFCU (Police and Fire Federal Credit Union) I think they are only in the Philly area though.... You need to have a family member in the police and firefighters union of Philly. They are really great, never give me a hassle about anything. When I got my SSN and was able to get on the account, they gave me a debit card on the spot as well as a Visa.

Sorry to hear about the troubles at your bank, what a joke. I can't believe they did that when you asked to speak to a manager.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
I'm going through the Wamu/Chase conversion too.

I first became a Wamu customer about 10 years ago when we lived in California. I had started banking with Wells Fargo in the US, got fed up with their high fees and commissions on every damn service, and went to Wamu for the no-frills no-fuss no-fee checking accounts. They also rebated other bank's ATM fees, and heck - they even provided no-cost credit scoring!

I think the problem is where I live. Seems like you guys out on the West Coast have been okay with the conversion. Seems like they are having quite a few problems over here on the East Coast with the accounts.

I've now been without a debit card for almost 2 weeks. :lol: I can't take out money. The closest Chase bank to me is like 25 minutes away and with my work hours, I'm not home in time to get in there as I get home at around 7 and they close at 6 I believe.

I opened up WaMu accounts because my best friend worked there and gave me no hassles.

They also had great no hassle, no fees, etc. which was sweet. Also, no min. balance required and at the time we were POOR. haha

Thanks for the advice, guys. It's been really good so far.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
usaa is the best bank imo.

I agree 100%. Low rates, great service & no BS. The few times (over 20 years) that something went awry they were very apologetic & fixed the problem quickly.

FamilyGuy_SavingPrivateBrian_v2f_72_1161823205-000.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I first became a Wamu customer about 10 years ago when we lived in California. I had started banking with Wells Fargo in the US, got fed up with their high fees and commissions on every damn service, and went to Wamu for the no-frills no-fuss no-fee checking accounts. They also rebated other bank's ATM fees, and heck - they even provided no-cost credit scoring!

I think the problem is where I live. Seems like you guys out on the West Coast have been okay with the conversion. Seems like they are having quite a few problems over here on the East Coast with the accounts.

I've now been without a debit card for almost 2 weeks. :lol: I can't take out money. The closest Chase bank to me is like 25 minutes away and with my work hours, I'm not home in time to get in there as I get home at around 7 and they close at 6 I believe.

I opened up WaMu accounts because my best friend worked there and gave me no hassles.

They also had great no hassle, no fees, etc. which was sweet. Also, no min. balance required and at the time we were POOR. haha

I had WaMu for years and I really liked them. When they switched over to Chase, they started deducting $10 per month out of my savings account WITHOUT telling me. I first noticed after they'd withdrawn $80 (none of which they agreed to refund). It was bad enough they started taking money out of my savings account, but to do so with NO warning?

I called Chase up and complained about this. They said they recently instituted a monetary limit (for savings accounts) in which you must stay above it or get charged. I asked them why they didn't tell me about this and they said, "You need to ask." :blink:

What the ** is it which organizations -- private or government -- who have these rules that break down into: "You need to know before we do something and therefore ask before there's a problem." How am I supposed to KNOW if it hasn't occurred yet?

Anyway... I immediately destroyed my savings account and moved all the money over to my checking account (which is still free, even with Chase). If it weren't for the fact that opening a BoA account might be difficult and confusing for them when I'm in Canada, I'd switch.

Edited by DeadPoolX

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
We bank with a Credit Union, and I banked with the Credit Union and Royal Bank in Canada. Here, I'd not bank with anyone other than a Credit Union.

I use a credit union here too (opened it years ago when I was first a student); my husband uses National City. We are currently deciding which one to go with now. I've heard a few bad stories about Fifth Third Bank, so I'd stay away from them.

Edited by to_hope

2004-09-03 : Met at college in USA and went on first date!

2008-01-02 : Married in Canada.

2008-01-07 : DH returns to USA.

2008-04-20 : Finally received marriage certificate from the province and filed 1-130 Petition.

2008-07-08 : I-130 Approved!

2008-09-15 : Received DS-230 and I-864.

2008-10-14: Mailed DS-230 and I-864

2008-10-30: DS-230 and I-864 received by NVC

2008-11-04: RFE

2008-11-18: Overnighted missing documents to NVC

2008-11-26: Case Complete at NVC!!

2008-03-02: Medical in Toronto

2009-03-23: Interview! Approved!

2009-04-04: The big move. POE: Blue Water Bridge. All went well.

2009-04-16: SSN arrives in the mail.

2009-04-24: PR card arrives in the mail.

Timeline

Yeah like that's what I mean, Deadpool. The rules that they change once a merger has happened but it's in the fine print.

It's not the stuff like, "Your online login will be the same" because that is WELL communicated.

It's the " You used to have free savings but now there is a minimum limit you have to keep in there without charge"

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
usaa is the best bank imo.

Not everyone can bank there Charles!

(I can- ex military spouse)

i know, but that wasn't asked :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
Yeah like that's what I mean, Deadpool. The rules that they change once a merger has happened but it's in the fine print.

It's not the stuff like, "Your online login will be the same" because that is WELL communicated.

It's the " You used to have free savings but now there is a minimum limit you have to keep in there without charge"

I may not like the limits and/or monthly charges that Canadian banks use, but at least they're upfront about it and tell you right on their damn website. Finding useful information on Chase's website is like expecting a deeply philosophical discussion in World of Warcraft. :P

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So far, I have good service with Eastern Bank - however, they're regional so I'm not sure they're in your area.

I added this site to my favourites a while back, I'm going to use it when I move to make sure I'm getting a good deal http://www.findabetterbank.com/

:)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I had WaMu for years and I really liked them. When they switched over to Chase, they started deducting $10 per month out of my savings account WITHOUT telling me. I first noticed after they'd withdrawn $80 (none of which they agreed to refund). It was bad enough they started taking money out of my savings account, but to do so with NO warning?

I called Chase up and complained about this. They said they recently instituted a monetary limit (for savings accounts) in which you must stay above it or get charged. I asked them why they didn't tell me about this and they said, "You need to ask." :blink:

What the ** is it which organizations -- private or government -- who have these rules that break down into: "You need to know before we do something and therefore ask before there's a problem." How am I supposed to KNOW if it hasn't occurred yet?

Anyway... I immediately destroyed my savings account and moved all the money over to my checking account (which is still free, even with Chase). If it weren't for the fact that opening a BoA account might be difficult and confusing for them when I'm in Canada, I'd switch.

I never opened a savings account at WAMU, their rates were not attractive, so I've only ever had checking accounts with them.

I did open a savings account at HSBC with their online banking site. They don't have any branches where I have lived (California and Illinois) so I wouldn't really want my day to day banking with them. But their savings rates are competitive. Try http://us.hsbc.com . Their customer service has been decent over the years.

My vote is for USAA, hands down. I definitely vote no for US Bank. I've been shocked by a couple of experiences there in the last year. I would have pulled everything out that minute if it hadn't been so complicated. Somehow USAA manages to do customer service, over the phone and online, just like they were your best friend. That's unheard of anyplace else. It's worth marrying into a family that qualifies. Sorry, I don't have any more unmarried children!

-Thai Mom

Timeline

But, again, I can't get into USAA as I don't have a referal or I'm not military so why suggest that option? :lol:

My eyes filled with grit

But, again, I can't get into USAA as I don't have a referal or I'm not military so why suggest that option? :lol:

Actually, if you're looking for ONLY banking (no loans, CC or insurance) USAA has opened up banking to EVERYONE (I found this out yesterday when looking around), but the other services are military only.

You have to call them though to open the account.

One cool thing about USAA (we're members as well, just don't 'use' them yet) is that you can deposit checks online by scanning them in.

AOS/EAD

04/07/07 - Sent AOS/EAD to Chicago

04/09/07 - Received at Chicago Lockbox

04/16/07 - NOA Date

05/10/07 - Transferred to CSC

05/30/07 - Case Pending at CSC

06/19/07 - Card Production Ordered for AOS

06/22/07 - Approval Notice Sent for AOS

06/23/07 - Welcome to America Letter received!

06/27/07 - Green Card Received

Removing Conditions

06/03/09 - Sent I-751

06/04/09 - Received at VSC

06/05/09 - NOA1

07/01/09 - Biometrics - Alexandria, VA

07/02/09 - the Lonely Touch

10/29/09 - Approved!

11/04/09 - Card Production Ordered

3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif John 3dflags_can0001-0001a.gifKrystin = 3dflags_usava01-0001a.gif

3D Flags

I may not like the limits and/or monthly charges that Canadian banks use, but at least they're upfront about it and tell you right on their damn website. Finding useful information on Chase's website is like expecting a deeply philosophical discussion in World of Warcraft. :P

Come on, now. You just aren't looking in the right places. Barrens has some of the most thought-provoking discussions I've ever come across online...

This discussion has me concerned, though. My fiance's bank is/was WaMu and though he has mentioned the switch (and how irritated he was that all of his account numbers changed and he didn't know the new numbers), he didn't mention any other changes. I wonder if he just isn't aware?

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Timeline

Come on, now. You just aren't looking in the right places. Barrens has some of the most thought-provoking discussions I've ever come across online...

This discussion has me concerned, though. My fiance's bank is/was WaMu and though he has mentioned the switch (and how irritated he was that all of his account numbers changed and he didn't know the new numbers), he didn't mention any other changes. I wonder if he just isn't aware?

That's interesting... none of my account numbers changed. I wonder why his did. I'd have him check over his account data very carefully and if he finds anything the least bit questionable, call Chase.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.