Svadharma

Embassy requesting co-sponsor for CR-1 visa

20 posts in this topic

My husband is in El Salvador. The embassy there requires two appointments. The first one is to review documents. The second, a week later, is for the interview and to turn in any documents requested at the first appointment.

My husband had his first appointment today and was told that I need to find a family member to be a co-sponsor and get them that information for his next appointment, on Monday the sixth.

My I-864 was already approved by the NVC. I am guessing they want this information because I didn't make a lot of money last year, because I was traveling and living with my husband. But, I make enough money now and, in fact, just got a $2/hour raise this month.

I have asked both of my parents and my grandmother. No one has said no, but no one has said yes either.

I also just went and filled out a form to have my congressman help me.

My questions are:

What will happen if I don't find a co-sponsor? I assume they will deny his visa.... but, then what? Do we start the process over? Do we have to wait until next year so that my taxes will look better?

Does anyone think my congressman will have much success?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Does your annualized current income exceed the 125% of poverty level for your household size?

Does the income information submitted with the I-864 differ from what you are making now? If so, then submitting evidence of your new income (recent paystubs, updated employer letter) may satisfy them.

Co-sponsors do not have to be family members. So you are not limited there.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

I make and made over 125% of the poverty limit. The I-864 that I already submitted showed that I make over 125% of the poverty limit. I'm well-over in fact. I submitted pay stubs, a letter from my main employer and a letter from my part-time job.

I am willing to submit new pay stubs and a letter showing my raise, but I am nervous because they are asking for a co-sponsor... And I don't know what will happen if I don't give them what they are asking for.

I also know that co-sponsors don't have to be family members, but that is what they told my husband. I would call the embassy and ask, but the phone number directs to a call center in Mexico where they don't know anything.

Timeline

That's odd. I can imagine that the CO may have suggested asking a family member (most common co-sponsors) but requiring? Could he be mistaken about the requirement?

Not likely that your rep or senator can make anything happen by Monday. Especially with the 4th coming up.

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

It is very possible that my husband is mistaken about it having to be a family member, but I can't ask him right now (trouble with my skype account, no way to call him and he is out of cell phone time).

I think it is odd, too.....

Thanks for your replies.

Timeline

Good luck. If anything else comes to mind I will share it.

I just spoke to NVC who told me that the Embassy can do whatever they want. So, I probably will have to find a co-sponsor. Though I am hoping I can just submit proof that I have recently received a raise.

I am going to call the Visa Office in D.C. tomorrow; they are closed now.

And just hope that someone is willing to be a co-sponsor.

I assume no one knows what will happen if we get denied because of this??

I just spoke to NVC who told me that the Embassy can do whatever they want. So, I probably will have to find a co-sponsor. Though I am hoping I can just submit proof that I have recently received a raise.

I am going to call the Visa Office in D.C. tomorrow; they are closed now.

And just hope that someone is willing to be a co-sponsor.

I assume no one knows what will happen if we get denied because of this??

Have you tried posting your question in the regional forum? You may find more people who went through your embassy there.

My initial reaction to your question is to do precisely what the embassy requested. Family Cosponsor. And consider that the 4th is going to mess up your mail too, so don't hang around too long waiting for people to be wishy-washy.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Well, I have asked a lot of family members and am waiting for a reply.

My congressman's also just wrote to the embassy there and the visa center.

So, we shall see.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Edited by Svadharma

So, here is what I have found out and done.

My husband scanned and emailed me the form from the embassy. We do need a Joint Sponsor, but it does not have to be a family member. (The writing in Spanish is confusing and I see why he thought that.) They also want an original. This seems insane to me. I found out today and they want the original in one week...

I talked my Grandma into helping me. She is going to scan and email me a copy of the I-864 and accompanying documents tomorrow. She is also going to FedEx the original to my husband... and hope it arrives on time.

I am still working with my congressman's office though. They have emailed the National Visa Center and a contact they have in the embassy in El Salvador.

So, we have my Grandma's I-864. We will have the copy and the FedEx tracking number until the original shows up... and then the original... and the congressman.

It looks like I shouldn't have to worry about the visa getting denied, but I still hope we don't have to use my Grandma's I-864. I will keep you posted.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I make and made over 125% of the poverty limit. The I-864 that I already submitted showed that I make over 125% of the poverty limit. I'm well-over in fact. I submitted pay stubs, a letter from my main employer and a letter from my part-time job.

I am willing to submit new pay stubs and a letter showing my raise, but I am nervous because they are asking for a co-sponsor... And I don't know what will happen if I don't give them what they are asking for.

I also know that co-sponsors don't have to be family members, but that is what they told my husband. I would call the embassy and ask, but the phone number directs to a call center in Mexico where they don't know anything.

I think they denied your I-864 because you did not include the most recent year's tax return or IRS transcript. The evidence you provided is optional with the I-864, and you only need to submit it if you think it will help establish that you will be able to maintain your income at the required level. The tax return or IRS transcript, however, is required.

I'm just guessing, though... :blush:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

I did submit my 2008 income taxes. I also submitted pay stubs and letters from my employer. It was approved by the NVC. It was not approved by the Embassy. They did not explain why. I am guessing that it is because of how much money I made last year and because I have only been at one job since August and the other since November.

I submitted everything that was required and optional information (because my 2008 showed so little income but I actually make quite a bit over the required amount).

Thank you for your input though. I didn't specify in my earlier post that I submitted my income taxes... but I don't think the NVC would have approved it if I had left those out. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I did submit my 2008 income taxes. I also submitted pay stubs and letters from my employer. It was approved by the NVC. It was not approved by the Embassy. They did not explain why. I am guessing that it is because of how much money I made last year and because I have only been at one job since August and the other since November.

I submitted everything that was required and optional information (because my 2008 showed so little income but I actually make quite a bit over the required amount).

Thank you for your input though. I didn't specify in my earlier post that I submitted my income taxes... but I don't think the NVC would have approved it if I had left those out. :)

Ok, thanks for clarifying. :thumbs:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
My husband is in El Salvador. The embassy there requires two appointments. The first one is to review documents. The second, a week later, is for the interview and to turn in any documents requested at the first appointment.

My husband had his first appointment today and was told that I need to find a family member to be a co-sponsor and get them that information for his next appointment, on Monday the sixth.

My I-864 was already approved by the NVC. I am guessing they want this information because I didn't make a lot of money last year, because I was traveling and living with my husband. But, I make enough money now and, in fact, just got a $2/hour raise this month.

I have asked both of my parents and my grandmother. No one has said no, but no one has said yes either.

My questions are:

What will happen if I don't find a co-sponsor? I assume they will deny his visa.... but, then what? Do we start the process over? Do we have to wait until next year so that my taxes will look better?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Something somewhat similar happened to me. NVC approved my case and sent it to the embassy. Somehow or another they found out I owed the IRS back taxes. My wife was given 221g at the interview. I showed them 2008 tax returns and 1099/W-s2 to over come this. I still don't understand why I didn't get rejected at the NVC stage when I filed the I-864.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My questions are:

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Something somewhat similar happened to me. NVC approved my case and sent it to the embassy. Somehow or another they found out I owed the IRS back taxes. My wife was given 221g at the interview. I showed them 2008 tax returns and 1099/W-s2 to over come this. I still don't understand why I didn't get rejected at the NVC stage when I filed the I-864.

Can anyone explain to me if I need to apply for both Cr1 & K3 with AOS?

I am just not clear on the options and benefits of either routs?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.