watkinson

Confused about what to send for my interview

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all,

I am Mark and I am a Uk national with a forign fiancee in the USA. Grace (my fiancee) has petitioned succesfully for an NAO2 which rwe recieved on March 25th and I now have gathered all of my materials ready for the interview. However I am very confused as to what to send in, and what to bring along. If I understand correctly it is as follows:

A. Send completed forms DS 156 (signed), DS 156k (signed), DS 157 (signed), DS 230 (unsigned) to the Immigrant Visa Unit, 5 Upper Grosvenor Street, London W1A 2JB

B. Seperatly send the IV-15 form stating that I am ready for the interview

C. Go for my medical (Calling for an appointment on Monday)

D. Bring to interview:

Passport (old and new)

2x Visa sized photo

Medical Certificate

Police Certificate

My Birth Certificate + a copy to hand in

Her Berth certificate + 1 copy to hand over

Affedavid of support

2x Copy of I129F petition package:

I129F application copy

Proof of relationship

-photos

-plane ticket stubs + photocopies

-old & new passport with stamps/visa's from previous visits + photocopies

-confirmation in writing of intent to marry by Grace

-confirmation in writing of intent to marry by Myself

G325A by Grace

G325A by Me

Payment for Visa

1. Is this correct and completed? I originally thought I had to only send in the checklist and bring everything including the completed DS230, 156, 156k forms to the interview - I havd read much conflicting information on this!

2. Do I need any aditional evidence of the relationship etc at this point?

3. Will i require any further copies of everything. I read somewhere that you need 4 copies (1 for grace, 1 for me, 1 to send for NAO2 1 to take to interview) but Ive also heard people recommend having a fifth copy to hand over at the point of entry, is this necesary?

4. Do I need to make any aditional payment at the interview, and how much?

5. Should I be concered that the NAO2 expires on the 25th of July: thats less than 2 months from now?

6. Should I make copies of the DS 230, 156, 156k, 157 to take to the interview?

7. Have I made too many copes of anything? It all appears very excessive if you ask me!

Trying to squeese everything into one post, but Im sure there will be more to come.

Sorry if Im asking things whcih have been answered before I have read and re-read all of the guides and searched the forum for the past hour.

Thanks in advance for any aid. I love this web site and I dont see how we could have come so far without it!

Timeline

I believe packet 3 is all those papers...packet 4 they may send you something else....i'm stilll learning that myself!!! I'm watching your post so I can give that to my fiance so he's got his ducks in a row too....!!

Allison

b2gel0s1sc.png

We're a April 2009 K1 filer, see our timeline for specifics....:-)

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

Date Filed : 2009-01-31

Date: 2010-02-02

Bio. Appt. : 2010-03-09

EAD received: 2010-04-01

Interview Date 2010-04-29--APPROVED!

VISA IN HAND: 2010-05-28--WAHOOO!

Congrats on your engagement and petition approval! Packet 3 is the instruction packet that you should have already gotten from the embassy with the link to the website with all the forms. Packet 4 is the letter with your interview date and time. I understand that these names are Visa Journey unique.

Hi all,

I am Mark and I am a Uk national with a forign fiancee in the USA. Grace (my fiancee) has petitioned succesfully for an NAO2 which rwe recieved on March 25th and I now have gathered all of my materials ready for the interview. However I am very confused as to what to send in, and what to bring along. If I understand correctly it is as follows:

A. Send completed forms DS 156 (signed), DS 156k (signed), DS 157 (signed), DS 230 (unsigned) to the Immigrant Visa Unit, 5 Upper Grosvenor Street, London W1A 2JB

You can send this in together with your forms IF you have all the documents requested. The checklist just says you are ready. Save yourself postage if you have the forms above and the documents below already collected.

D. Bring to interview:

Passport (old and new)

2x Visa sized photo

Medical Certificate The doctors office contracted sends your results directly to the embassy.

Police Certificate

Her Berth certificate + 1 copy to hand over Not necessary for this step. Bring it if you like, but they probably won't ask for it.

Affedavid of support PLUS supporting evidence!!

2x Copy of I129F petition package: Ditto. You can bring it if it makes you feel better, but they won't ask for it.

I129F application copy

Proof of relationship

-photos

-confirmation in writing of intent to marry by Grace You'll actually sign a statement saying this. You don't need an extra.

-confirmation in writing of intent to marry by Myself This is ONLY necessary if your interview will be more than 4 months after NOA2.

G325A by Grace

G325A by Me

Payment for Visa

1. Is this correct and completed? I originally thought I had to only send in the checklist and bring everything including the completed DS230, 156, 156k forms to the interview - I havd read much conflicting information on this!

Read the website carefully, it specifies. I don't remember myself.

Not many people are asked for this going through London. Assess your own situation for any possible red flags.

3. Will i require any further copies of everything. I read somewhere that you need 4 copies (1 for grace, 1 for me, 1 to send for NAO2 1 to take to interview) but Ive also heard people recommend having a fifth copy to hand over at the point of entry, is this necesary?

I don't think you need any more copies of things. You can keep some for your own records, but when you get your passport back, they send your complete file (I think the same papers that Grace would have sent in with the petition - it's your complete file, and you turn it in at POE UNOPENED, as it says.

$131 for the visa, and about 14 pounds for the courier. Sometimes the card machines work, sometimes they don't. Bringing cash to cover is advised (they take payment for the visa in pounds too)

5. Should I be concered that the NAO2 expires on the 25th of July: thats less than 2 months from now?

So long as you don't let your file go inactive, they will automatically extend it. By simply sending in your forms and checklist, you've kept it active. The only thing you may want is a notarized letter of intent from Grace if your interview is scheduled near or after that date.

It's not necessary, but again, if it makes you feel more comfortable, you can.

7. Have I made too many copes of anything? It all appears very excessive if you ask me!

Yes, it sounds like your shredder will be full of unneccessary copies if you follow all you have proposed.

Trying to squeese everything into one post, but Im sure there will be more to come.

Sorry if Im asking things whcih have been answered before I have read and re-read all of the guides and searched the forum for the past hour.

It can be a bit overwhelming!!

Thanks in advance for any aid. I love this web site and I dont see how we could have come so far without it!

AGREED!!!!

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Oh, I can't edit the post now, but I should have added that you'll need a copy of your police certificate. You'll get to keep the originals of your documents (not forms).

K-1:

AOS:

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

ROC:

Hi all,

D. Bring to interview:

Passport (old and new)

2x Visa sized photo

Medical Certificate

Police Certificate

Her Berth certificate + 1 copy to hand over

Affedavid of support

2x Copy of I129F petition package:

I129F application copy

Proof of relationship

-photos

-confirmation in writing of intent to marry by Grace

-confirmation in writing of intent to marry by Myself

G325A by Grace

G325A by Me

Payment for Visa

You might find this helpful:

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/iv/iv_15.html

In particular, this part which explains what to mail or bring

Overview

This table below provides you with an overview of the steps that take place once you have obtained all your documents and have completed the necessary forms.

1. Mail the DS-230 Form Part I, Form DS-156, and Form DS-157 for each person and the Form DS-156-K (completed by the principal applicant only) to the Immigrant Visa Unit, 5 Upper Grosvenor Street, London W1A 2JB. Note:Note: Forms DS-156, DS-156k and DS-157 must be completed in duplicate.

2. Assemble all of the documents required in support of your application and mail the IV-15K Form and check list (download the PDF here) to the Immigrant Visa Unit.

3. The Embassy will complete all necessary administrative processing of your immigrant visa application. You may be requested to provide additional information if you have incomplete or missing documents.

4. Approximately one month before your scheduled interview appointment with a consular officer, you will receive an appointment letter containing the date and time of your visa interview.

Here is a link to the medical info:

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/iv/medexam_K.html

You might also find this handy (a review from someone who recently went through the process) http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...t&p=2986641

Good luck!

Edited by Ian and Lisa

K1 Filed: 4-1-2009 * Interview (approved): 10-21-2009 * POE: 11-1-2009 * Married: 11-29-2009

http://www.visajourn...009-k-1-filers/

-------------------

AOS Filed: 12-7-2009

AOS APPROVED! 2-27-2010 (no interview)

Greencard in hand: 3-4-2010

http://www.visajourn...ead/page__st__0

--------------------

ROC mailed to CSC 11-22-2011

Check cleared the bank 11-29-2011 (our 2nd anniversary) :)

Greencard received 6/15/2012 :)

November 2011 ROC Filers

N400 Filing (Citizenship for Ian) - Here we go!

Mailed 12-03-2012

Arrived at Phoenix SC 12-6-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

1-25-2013 Notice - Interview Scheduled for 3-4-2013

Oath 3-4-2013 Omaha Field Office

Timeline

Thanks so much all: I will get those forms mailed as planned on monday and get back to playing the waiting game!

You guys have really put my mind at rest, score one more for Visa Journey in the battle against beurocratic nonsense.

Regarding my shreader: Ill have to empty it before then, Ive had to pack the thing down several times today! Ill be sure to update this thread as my case progresses further.

Thans especially for that link to the review from someone who recently went through the process, should help me in my own prepairations

Up at the top of the screen towards the right, there's a link called Reviews: Embassy/USCIS There are LOTS of stories, detailed and not so detailed about EVERYTHING dealing with the interview. Then you don't have to go searching through all the threads for reviews, they are all gathered in one place.

K-1:

AOS:

ROC:

Nik+Heather rocked it last week. Just so you know, their advice is tops. ;)

Best of luck, Watkinson!

THE JOHN (UK) AND CAMIE (US) SHOW

K-1

[*]I-129F Sent : 2009-02-19 [*]I-129F NOA1: 2009-02-23 [*]I-129F NOA2: 2009-03-23 [*]John's Medical: 2009-05-11 [*]John's INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!: 2009-06-08 [*]VISA ARRIVES!!: 2009-06-12 [*]Camie Goes to England : 2009-06-18 [*]Our POE : 2009-06-24 [*]Got married and went to Jack-in-the-Box : 2009-07-07

AOS

[*]AOS Package Sent: 2010-02-13 [*]AOS Package Delivered (per USPS): 2010-02-15 [*]USCIS Email Confirmation (WOO HOO!!): 2010-02-23 [*]AOS Fee Check Cashed: 2010-02-23 [*]USCIS Status Check Available Online: 2010-02-24 [*]I-485 NOA1 Received and touch : 2010-02-26 [*]I-765 NOA1 Received and touch : 2010-02-26 [*]Biometrics: 2010-03-18 (letter received 2010-03-08) [*]EAD CARD RECEIVED: 2010-05-06 [*]INTERVIEW: 2010-05-21 - APPROVED [*]RECEIVED GREEN CARD: 2010-06-17 - Lakers FTW, then off to Disneyland to celebrate!

ROC

[*]I-751 Package Sent: 2012-05-18 [*]I-751 Package Delivered (per USPS): 2012-05-19 [*]CSC Fee Check Cashed: 2012-06-06
[*]I-751 NOA1: 2012-06-07 (dated 2012-05-21)
[*]Biometrics: 2012-07-16 (letter received 2012-06-25) [*]RFE: 2013-01-18 (responded on 2013-04-08)
[*]I-751 APPROVED: 2013-04-25 (dated 2013-04-19)

[*]10-Year GC Received: 2013-06-17

Christopher Midian Chance - 7lbs., 5oz., born 11-19-14 :wub:

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Hi again All,

It has been 8 weeks tommorow since I send in my notice that I was ready for an interview and I have heard nothing back at all from the embassy, should I be worried? Whats the best way to contact them for an update: I called there £1.20/min info line once before and was charged a small fortune and didnt even get to speak to a real person so i dont fancy that again, Ive already emailed them at both londonpassports@state.gov and SCSLondon@state.gov. What else can i do? The wedding is now 15 weeks away and Im getting nervous about having my interview in time!

Sincerely,

Mark

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.