slim

That one-way ticket to the US

27 posts in this topic

So once the interview is passed, the visa is granted, and you're excited, but not too excited (Russian superstition), then finally the passport, with the visa, arrives.....

What are the best ways to shop for a ticket?

Did you guys call the airlines? Have your girl/guy call in Russia? Most of the sites that I've checked (Yahoo, expedia, orbitz, cheaptickets, etc.) won't let you do a search with a start from outside the US. I've done the reverse of a one-way (from here to there) and I get some decent prices, but I'm wondering if there's a way I can check on ticket prices from there to here. Any suggestions?

Just in case anyone does have the capability... I'm looking for VVO or KHV to CVG any time. I'm finding the CVG to VVO for about $1300 on a weekday, but I'd like to be able to confirm the reverse is the same price, or find something cheaper.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Or... if anyone's fiancee is leaving soon too.... maybe we could get a group discount! :lol:

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hey Slim!

Give Asiana a call... they service the far east of Russia as well. You will get a better price if you call them most of the time :D

http://us.flyasiana.com/

Cheers!

Dave

Edited by dmhweb
725268776.png

Slim,

Actually Yahoo will let you search for airfares for flights originating outside of the United States! This is what I used when I bought Katya's ticket a couple weeks ago. I searched for over an hour, checking all the possibilities for my date range for both round trip and one-way tickets from SVO to ATL on all airlines. I ended up buying a one-way ticket on Air France for July 12 for $963! Not bad at all considering July seems to be the peak month for traveling to and from Russia. Apparently e-tickets weren't an option for this flight, but they delivered the paper tickets directly to Katya in Russia about a week after I purchased them.

Personally I don't like using any travel agents because their prices are always higher then buying the ticket directly yourself online!

James

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Travelocity books flights out of Moscow, and it looks like a one-way ticket costs from 600-2000 dollars to JFK.

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
So once the interview is passed, the visa is granted, and you're excited, but not too excited (Russian superstition), then finally the passport, with the visa, arrives.....

What are the best ways to shop for a ticket?

Did you guys call the airlines? Have your girl/guy call in Russia? Most of the sites that I've checked (Yahoo, expedia, orbitz, cheaptickets, etc.) won't let you do a search with a start from outside the US. I've done the reverse of a one-way (from here to there) and I get some decent prices, but I'm wondering if there's a way I can check on ticket prices from there to here. Any suggestions?

Just in case anyone does have the capability... I'm looking for VVO or KHV to CVG any time. I'm finding the CVG to VVO for about $1300 on a weekday, but I'd like to be able to confirm the reverse is the same price, or find something cheaper.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Or... if anyone's fiancee is leaving soon too.... maybe we could get a group discount! :lol:

Expedia has an option to book one way ticket out of SVO - there is one flight through Paris to Miami for $725 I think it is on Tuesdays , I am not sure. But there is an option.

Eva.

I-130 approved in 113 days

NVC Processing

07.11.06 Case number assigned

07.24.06 DS 3032/AOS Bill Generated

07.26.2006 DS 3032 via email

07.28.2006 AOS fee paid and overnighted

07.29.06 NVC confirmed getting choice of agent

07.31.2006 Recieved actual AOS/DS 3032 bill via regular mail

07.31.2006 IV Bill generated

08.05.2006 IV bill recieved

08.11.2006 IV Bill Paid sent by mail

08.26.2006 Finally got Affidavit papers by mail

08.28.2006 Sent Affidavit by mail

ticker.png

ticker.png

7.17.2006 Replied to IMBRA RFE 07.18.2006 Touched ( I guess they recieved RFE) 07.24.2006 Touched

7.26.2006 Touched again 7.28.06 Touched again (they keep sending it to the old address) This case is stuck!

ticker.png

Thanks guys, guess I just didn't plug in enough options.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Slim,

You may wish to try “airline consolidator.com” for others options. Also, most of the airlines that fly into the U.S. can be contacted via telephone.

As you are probably aware, it is going to be a lot cheaper flying out of Moscow, if it is possible.

Also, don’t allow her to have a very short stay any place, such as Paris, where she could actually miss her connecting flight simply because of their slow moving customs area.

By the way, congratulations!

from Andrew

Timeline
Startravel has low rates, especially for students.

My Mom when she got a visa, bought a ticket at Sheremetievo Airport 3 days prior, and it was cheaper than anything online. I guess they lower their rates for last minute pick up, which is understandable. I lived in Albuquerque back than, so she had to change three flights Moscow - NY ( DL 30 or 31), NY-Cincinati, Cin- ABQ. She paid around $430- ve-ery cheap (compare to the lowest round trip price at that time was $918).

Just spend some time looking around, have her call some agencies too, she paid for one-way ticket here, and I apid for one ticket back to Moscow, at the end it was less than a $900.

Good luck in your search.

Eva.

I-130 approved in 113 days

NVC Processing

07.11.06 Case number assigned

07.24.06 DS 3032/AOS Bill Generated

07.26.2006 DS 3032 via email

07.28.2006 AOS fee paid and overnighted

07.29.06 NVC confirmed getting choice of agent

07.31.2006 Recieved actual AOS/DS 3032 bill via regular mail

07.31.2006 IV Bill generated

08.05.2006 IV bill recieved

08.11.2006 IV Bill Paid sent by mail

08.26.2006 Finally got Affidavit papers by mail

08.28.2006 Sent Affidavit by mail

ticker.png

ticker.png

7.17.2006 Replied to IMBRA RFE 07.18.2006 Touched ( I guess they recieved RFE) 07.24.2006 Touched

7.26.2006 Touched again 7.28.06 Touched again (they keep sending it to the old address) This case is stuck!

ticker.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Well, here's what I did after considering all the options. I'd not particularly suggest you do it; I'm sharing what I did and I did it for specific reasons. Everyone's circumstances are different: when flying, who's flying, from whence to ... all that adds up.

I've used the Atlanta - San Francisco Russian run company with an internet presence called Go To Russia. I've used them for the fourth time: once to the Ukraine, and two previous times to Russia. They offer a wide range of services. I've established a rapport with them and they know me. I've booked flights, had them get my passport renewed, gotten visas, and rented accommodations. For the right price, they'll do it all tomorrow -- not that you want to pay through the nose unless it's unavoidable! Nothing's perfect; for me so far, knock on wood, it's be an "A" -- dayum the bathroom and john last January with no radiator was phreaquin' cold. Now I know Russian winters ... well, not Siberia!!

Ok, to your question, Slim. What GTR did this time, claiming it was the cheapest for what I wanted to do, was get Maria's ticket quasi-RT meaning three out of four legs. Don't ask me 'cause I didn't understand; they just told me it was the cheapest to do SVO-JFK-TPA and then a return JFK-SVO. I know it's strange, strange, strange. The price was like $ 959.90 incl. tax, tip, gratuities. I did a bit of searching and for the small difference and trusting they'll take care of me like in the past, a few bucks (not even 100 for both of us combined) was not worth using my time searchin' ... gonna find her, searchin' every wayaya ... who sang that song?

That's my story and Ima stickin' to it!

I'm sure you'll do what makes sense for ya'll!

Larry and Maria

Anyone cosider buying a round trip ticket and not using the return portion?

That's what we're planning to do...

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Timeline
Anyone cosider buying a round trip ticket and not using the return portion?

That's what we're planning to do...

Jen

That's what we did. Cost me around $800 for the round trip from Moscow to Florida for her which for some reason was about $100 more than my ticket. This was opposed to almost $2000 for the one way..(did they think I was that stupid???) I called delta and got the ticket over the phone. Was a lot easier than trying to figure it out online as we were traveling back to the US together.

Any way, there were a few days during that "adjustment period" that I thought we might be using that return ticket....LOL!!

Really, everything is great now and we are very happy together.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My favorite site for one way tickets is www.kayak.com They have one way tickets and multi city tickets so if you want to visit more than one place you can. You can also originate anywhere, it does not need to be in the usa. The prices are usually the best I can find.

I did a few trips where I thought it was cheaper to buy a round trip and throw away the return. I wasted a fair amount of money that way. On Kayak the one way is usually close to half the price of a round trip.

Another site I have been using a bit lately is www.bookingbuddy.com They let you enter the data one time and check 7 major travel sites (including Kayak) The top three buttons there will let you originate outside the us. The bottom 4 will not.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Timeline
My favorite site for one way tickets is www.kayak.com They have one way tickets and multi city tickets so if you want to visit more than one place you can. You can also originate anywhere, it does not need to be in the usa. The prices are usually the best I can find.

I did a few trips where I thought it was cheaper to buy a round trip and throw away the return. I wasted a fair amount of money that way. On Kayak the one way is usually close to half the price of a round trip.

Another site I have been using a bit lately is www.bookingbuddy.com They let you enter the data one time and check 7 major travel sites (including Kayak) The top three buttons there will let you originate outside the us. The bottom 4 will not.

Guess it really depends on what cities you are flying in and out of. I just checked kayak.com and a one way flight from my city to Moscow was going to be $600 more than a round trip booked on Delta.

That just shows that you have to look and compare a lot of options.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Nice that lots of people chimed in with SVo, but I believe VVO (Vladivostok Airport) is quite some distance.

VVO, Nice airport, had to fly there to meet Olga in person! That was the best week of my life...also the most expensive and worth every USD! :D

From VVO either Vladivostok Air or Korean Air and that would depend on when she left... Vlad Air departs on different days then Korean air.

I flew Korean Air.

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.