chaigirl

Proof of Engagement?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi Everyone,

The I129F I filed for my fiance has been processed here in the US and they sent my fiance T the packet requesting all the docs, info they need before he has his interview at the embassy in Dublin. He said one of the things they are requesting is "proof of engagement". What kind of proof? I didn't want an engagement ring, so there's no receipt. I just planned on a plain gold band when we're married. I was never a jewelry person. What else could be proof?

TIA

chaigirl

No receipts. We weren't going to do anything fancy at all, nothing that would take more than 2 weeks to plan. We were really just thinking of something like city hall and a restaurant afterwards, nothing that takes much planning. I never thought being low maintenance would bite me in the a**.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hi Everyone,

The I129F I filed for my fiance has been processed here in the US and they sent my fiance T the packet requesting all the docs, info they need before he has his interview at the embassy in Dublin. He said one of the things they are requesting is "proof of engagement". What kind of proof? I didn't want an engagement ring, so there's no receipt. I just planned on a plain gold band when we're married. I was never a jewelry person. What else could be proof?

TIA

chaigirl

If you already bought the wedding bands, you could use the receipt, but state that you intend to use the bands after the marriage. Or that you are wearing a band as an engagement ring (that's what Latins do!). Did you have an engagement party? Or dinner? If you did and you took any pictures, that would help too.

K-1 TIMELINE:

05-11-2009: NOA1

05-20-2009: called the Military Help Line and requested for expedite

06-04-2009: NOA2

06-14-2009: NVC letter received in the mail

07-02-2009: Packet 4 received

08-27-2009: Interview - Visa approved!

09-03-2009: visa in hands.

09-20-2009: POE - Miami

09-21-2009: we got married!

AOS TIMELINE:

05-12-2010: NOA1

06-08-2010: Case transferred to CSC

06-21-2010: Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

You could have friends and or family write a letter of intent for you and have it notarized. I sent one from each of my parents with my I129F and may have to do it again when I get to your stage. I am in a similar boat. I do have a ring, but no receipt. I have a picture of him putting it on me though.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Do you have at least the engagement ring and the receipt to show it?

PEACE..................

When you love someone from the bottom of your heart; so much that you are willing to give your life for your loved one, time and distance takes a backseat. Only love prevails. And with love in you hearts you can overcome anything.

January 21, 2010 - Submitted AOS

January 25, 2010 - Cory received her SSN

March 9, 2010 - Received appointment for biometrics - will be on March 18

March 18, 2010 - Biometrics done

March 19, 2010 - Touches on I-485 and I-765

March 25, 2010 - Advance Parole approved..received on April 1 in the mail

March 29, 2010 - I-485 notice date, received on April 4, 2010

May 3, 2010 - EAD approved

May 5, 2010 - Date interview....approved

event.png

We went out to dinner just the two of us but never saved a receipt. I'm confused. We lived together for almost a year, I have bills in both our names and pictures and all that kind of stuff. I thought when the I129F was approved here in the States that it meant they recognize our relationship is valid. Now I have to worry about the fact that we didn't spend a fortune unneccesarily (sp?)? I'm really frustated with all these ridiculous hoops we have to jump through.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Maybe they mean Proof of Ongoing Relationship?

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

What you will want to gather for the interview is proof of ongoing relationship. This would include boarding passes, passport stamps, photographs together, and receipts from any trips made after filing for the I-129F. It would also include phone bills, emails, chat logs, and letters through regular mail. The Consulate Officer must be convinced that it is a real relationship. These pieces of evidence shall assist, but it also includes the non-tangibles, such as the sincerity of your fiancé and the bias of the officer. Wish you all the best.

we are also 'low-maintenance' and had no formal engagement. we provided nothing that 'proved' that we were engaged OTHER THAN the letters of intent from each of us. no problem at all. it fairly common for couples to have non-traditional engagements - ie, no rings, no big-screen proposal at the baseball park, no engagement party.

ha! and i thought the same thing - 'am i screwed because i dont want to do what everyone else does?' im glad we did it our way. much more 'us'! : )

having said this, i am marrying UK citizen and culturally, this path is acceptable. i have read in other forums for other countries that sometimes cultural norms do play into the equation. seems like in vietnam there is a need for a more formal engagement that involves the bride's family.

21 oct 08 : i-129F sent / 22 oct 08 : NOA1 / 23 feb 09: NOA2 / 13 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 3' / 28 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 4' / 20 apr 09 : interview / 22 apr 09 : passport/visa delivery by courier / 29 apr 09 : POE @ PHL / <3 05 may 09 : married <3 / 06 jul 09 : AOS submitted / 09 jul 09 : NOA for EAD/AP/i-485 / 28 jul 09 : biometrics / 31 aug 09 : AP rec'd / 02 sep 09 : EAD rec'd / 19 oct 09 : conditional green card rec'd

16 jul 11 : i-751 sent to VSC (fedex)

18 jul 11 : fedex confirmed delivery; NOA1 generated

20 jul 11 : NOA1 notice rec'd; check cashed; touch

26 jul 11 : NOA2 generated

28 jul 11 : NOA2 biometrics appt letter rec'd

29 jul 11 : letter req biometrics appt rescheduling sent

09 aug 11 : biometrics appt (could not attend); NOA3 generated

11 aug 11 : NOA3 (rescheduled) biometrics appt letter rec'd

24 aug 11 : biometrics appt

14 oct 11 : conditional green card expiry date

16 nov 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR online

18 nov 11 : mailed i-865 for USC

22 nov 11 : moved house; NOA4 change of address for USC rec'd

13 dec 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR by phone

29 dec 11 : filed hardcopy AR-11 for LPR by mail

18 jan 12 : 6 month mark ROC

05 apr 12 : approval letter rec'd

16 jul 12 : n-400 filing window opens

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.