chaigirl

Proof of Engagement?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline
For many folks - what you might be referring to is a Letter of Intent (from both parties). You can find an example in the Example Forms section.

I second this.

I was also confused, but then it really turned out to be this Letter of Intent. First version of the letter was sent with our I-129F and then we printed and signed new ones for the interview.

I-129F Sent: Aug 20th 2008

Interview Date: April 8th 2009, 10:30 - APPROVED!

K-1 Visa Received: April 9th 2009

POE: Aug 8th 2009, Minneapolis

Wedding: Aug 28th 2009

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Our I-129f was approved in 107 days from our NOA1 date.

Our I-129f was approved in 114 days from our filing date.

Our case spent 52 days being chewed by NVC.

Our interview took 224 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS, AP, EAD filed: Oct 15th 2009

Biometrics: Nov 24th 2009

AP received: Dec 14th 2009

EAD received: Dec 17th 2009

Green Card received: Dec 18th 2009

http://www.badgerella.com/forum

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi Everyone,

The I129F I filed for my fiance has been processed here in the US and they sent my fiance T the packet requesting all the docs, info they need before he has his interview at the embassy in Dublin. He said one of the things they are requesting is "proof of engagement". What kind of proof? I didn't want an engagement ring, so there's no receipt. I just planned on a plain gold band when we're married. I was never a jewelry person. What else could be proof?

TIA

chaigirl

Just go buy a ring at the corner store for $50. Problem solved... Receipt and Ring...

We are Looking forward to being married.

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I would be in the same boat. I don't have an engagement ring (at least not yet, we JUST filed the I129F, so I don't know if my fiance plans to give me one on our next visit)... and we are not making wedding plans, because we're keeping it very very low-key (also just the two of us, probably just a civil ceremony). Thanks also for the advice everyone. lol

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Just to clarify - You definitely don't need an engagement ring for the Dublin embassy. As long as you can prove that you have a real bona-fide relationship you could have proposed with a turnip for all they care. I can't comment on other countries, especially those with different wedding traditions, but i imagine canada would be similar.

K-1 Application

================

2nd October 2007 - I-129F sent to CSC

10th October 2007 - NOA1 issued

31st January 2008 - NOA2 issued

22nd May 2008 - Interview date

18th July 2008 - US here I come

22nd August 2008 - Wedding date

AOS

================

15th September 2008 - AOS Pack (I485, I131, I765) Sent

22nd September 2008 - NOA1 x 3 Received

6th October 2008 - Transferred to CSC

17th October 2008 - Biometrics

5th December 2008 - EAD & AP approved

20th February 2008 - GC approved

I-751

================

1st December 2010 - I-751 Sent (CSC)

3rd December 2010 - I-751 Received

7th December 2010 - Cheque cashed

3rd January 2011 - Biometrics

I really think they simply mean "proof of relationship." All you need are photos with the two of your together and with family members, flight trip recepits, boarding pass stubs, date stamps from your passport, phone bill records, etc.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

Engagement rings are not necessary. You may, or may not have them and they may, or may not ask for them. We had none and nobody asked about engagement at all. All we gave them (along with the required forms) were letters of intent signed by both of us. All other proof of relationship was in a separate briefcase, but they wanted to see none of it.

Of course it's the more proof, the better, but nobody is asking you to buy an engagement ring of any sort.

I-129F Sent: Aug 20th 2008

Interview Date: April 8th 2009, 10:30 - APPROVED!

K-1 Visa Received: April 9th 2009

POE: Aug 8th 2009, Minneapolis

Wedding: Aug 28th 2009

Our I-129f was approved in 107 days from our NOA1 date.

Our I-129f was approved in 114 days from our filing date.

Our case spent 52 days being chewed by NVC.

Our interview took 224 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS, AP, EAD filed: Oct 15th 2009

Biometrics: Nov 24th 2009

AP received: Dec 14th 2009

EAD received: Dec 17th 2009

Green Card received: Dec 18th 2009

http://www.badgerella.com/forum

We went out to dinner just the two of us but never saved a receipt. I'm confused. We lived together for almost a year, I have bills in both our names and pictures and all that kind of stuff. I thought when the I129F was approved here in the States that it meant they recognize our relationship is valid. Now I have to worry about the fact that we didn't spend a fortune unneccesarily (sp?)? I'm really frustated with all these ridiculous hoops we have to jump through.

We lived together for almost a year, I have bills in both our names and pictures and all that kind of stuff.

This is the best proof that you can show to them.

Yes, I agree with you about this: ridiculous hoops we have to jump through

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.