Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chaigirl

Proof of Engagement?

23 posts in this topic Register to Ask a Question

Hi Everyone,

The I129F I filed for my fiance has been processed here in the US and they sent my fiance T the packet requesting all the docs, info they need before he has his interview at the embassy in Dublin. He said one of the things they are requesting is "proof of engagement". What kind of proof? I didn't want an engagement ring, so there's no receipt. I just planned on a plain gold band when we're married. I was never a jewelry person. What else could be proof?

TIA

chaigirl

No receipts. We weren't going to do anything fancy at all, nothing that would take more than 2 weeks to plan. We were really just thinking of something like city hall and a restaurant afterwards, nothing that takes much planning. I never thought being low maintenance would bite me in the a**.

Hi Everyone,

The I129F I filed for my fiance has been processed here in the US and they sent my fiance T the packet requesting all the docs, info they need before he has his interview at the embassy in Dublin. He said one of the things they are requesting is "proof of engagement". What kind of proof? I didn't want an engagement ring, so there's no receipt. I just planned on a plain gold band when we're married. I was never a jewelry person. What else could be proof?

TIA

chaigirl

If you already bought the wedding bands, you could use the receipt, but state that you intend to use the bands after the marriage. Or that you are wearing a band as an engagement ring (that's what Latins do!). Did you have an engagement party? Or dinner? If you did and you took any pictures, that would help too.

You could have friends and or family write a letter of intent for you and have it notarized. I sent one from each of my parents with my I129F and may have to do it again when I get to your stage. I am in a similar boat. I do have a ring, but no receipt. I have a picture of him putting it on me though.

We went out to dinner just the two of us but never saved a receipt. I'm confused. We lived together for almost a year, I have bills in both our names and pictures and all that kind of stuff. I thought when the I129F was approved here in the States that it meant they recognize our relationship is valid. Now I have to worry about the fact that we didn't spend a fortune unneccesarily (sp?)? I'm really frustated with all these ridiculous hoops we have to jump through.

Proof of ongoing relationship I can prove. I've been to Dublin 3 times since September, I have my boarding passes and I also have my astronomical phone bills. I hope that will do.

What you will want to gather for the interview is proof of ongoing relationship. This would include boarding passes, passport stamps, photographs together, and receipts from any trips made after filing for the I-129F. It would also include phone bills, emails, chat logs, and letters through regular mail. The Consulate Officer must be convinced that it is a real relationship. These pieces of evidence shall assist, but it also includes the non-tangibles, such as the sincerity of your fiancé and the bias of the officer. Wish you all the best.

we are also 'low-maintenance' and had no formal engagement. we provided nothing that 'proved' that we were engaged OTHER THAN the letters of intent from each of us. no problem at all. it fairly common for couples to have non-traditional engagements - ie, no rings, no big-screen proposal at the baseball park, no engagement party.

ha! and i thought the same thing - 'am i screwed because i dont want to do what everyone else does?' im glad we did it our way. much more 'us'! : )

having said this, i am marrying UK citizen and culturally, this path is acceptable. i have read in other forums for other countries that sometimes cultural norms do play into the equation. seems like in vietnam there is a need for a more formal engagement that involves the bride's family.

Back to Top ↑

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Try asking our VJ Immigration Lawyers.