Peter&Jaime

How long until green card is received?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
Hmm.. there is a lot of strange information posted in the thread..

Firstly, SSN. The CBP officer at POE told me I may have to wait up to 4-6 weeks to receive my number. I needed to have it quicker so here's what I did. Even if you checked the box to have a SSN automatically assigned for you on the DS-230 form, I still suggest visiting your local office. They advise that you wait about 10 days after POE before visiting so as to allow time for your information to be updated into the system. After day 10 go to your local SSA with your passport which contains your CR/IR1 visa. Choose a ticket which says you're applying for a new SSN and grab a S-5S form to fill out while you wait. You may not need this but just do it anyway as it'll save time incase they tell you you need to fill in an application later.

Once your number gets called, approach the window. Give them your passport and explain that you arrived on xx day and that you are wanting to know if a SSN has been assigned to you. They will look you up on their system. One of 3 outcomes is likely:

1. You are in the system and a SSN has already been assigned. Ask them to give you a printout of the number and verify with them the mailing address. You have the number now and should receive the card within a week or two.

2. You are in the system but a SSN has not been assigned. In this case pass them the S-5S form which you filled out and they will process your application for you.

3. USCIS has been slow and haven't entered your details in the system. You'll have to wait for them to do so until you can proceed.

Secondly, green card. Give it about a month. During that time you should receive a welcome notice (or two) in the mail. The welcome notice will say that your green card will soon be issued and that you should receive it within 30 days of the notice. There is a file number on the letter which you can use to track the issuance online.

Finally, I-551 stamp. Here is an image of my stamp & visa that I received last August. I think the one posted above is outdated. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=181547

Great information! We did exact samething. :thumbs:

U.S. Passport

xx-xx-2012: Passport application sent

I-130 petition for Sibling

07-19-2012: Sent I-130 via Priority mail

07-23-2012: I-130 received by PHX lbx (forwarded to california)

07-23-2012: Priority date

07-30-2012: I-797 receipt received

1. CR1 [Completed: 2009/Total Days: 325]

2. ROC [Completed: 2011/Total Days: 222]

3. CITIZENSHIP [Completed: 2012/Total Days: 125]

4. US PASSPORT [Completed: 2012/Total Days: ]

• 2 months later...

so hopefully i dont sound like a complete nut when i say this, but am i right in saying that i DONT need a sepeate form for employment auth. prior to going to the USA?

i mean, along the CR-1 process, i am applying for perm residency so all i need when i arrive is my stamp in my passport and to get my SSC and then my Green Card and i can work?

woo hoo!

:thumbs:

so hopefully i dont sound like a complete nut when i say this, but am i right in saying that i DONT need a sepeate form for employment auth. prior to going to the USA?

i mean, along the CR-1 process, i am applying for perm residency so all i need when i arrive is my stamp in my passport and to get my SSC and then my Green Card and i can work?

woo hoo!

:thumbs:

Correct! With the CR-1 once you have your SSN you are free to work. No green card needed actually- the I-551 stamp in your passport will do until you get the card in the mail.

Naturalization

N-400 package mailed: 04/16/2013

N-400 package delivered: 04/16/2013

NOA1 date: 04/17/2013

Biometrics: 08/23/2013

Interview: 10/07/2013

Oath: 01/23/2014

DONE!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.