Eli

Preparing I-715

8 posts in this topic

Hello All!

After 2-years freedom from the USCIS, it's back to paperwork for me. I'm getting the documents ready for my application and I'm wondering how critical it is to have the statements from friends notarized. The sample forms here on VJ certainly indicate that being notarized is appropriate, but it's not explicitly stated on the I-751 instructions that I saw. I'd hate to inconvenience my friends if it's not necessary (only notaries here are at the banks which are only open 9-5), but if it is I'm gonna have to start inconveniencing them real quick :P (I know the guide says the friend's statements are optional, but it's listed on the I-751 instructions so I'm going to include them). Also, for the check, do I write one combined check for the fee and biometrics, or a separate check for each one? I can't remember what we did before.

I'm also curious as to how your status exists while your case is pending - I understand that the NOA extends your resident/employment eligibility, is that correct? What about travel - leaving the US is out of the question while it's pending, or does NOA+expired green card still give you the ability to leave the US and return?

Thanks a bunch!

Eli

K-1

March 24-06------I129F sent to NSC

March 27-06------NOA1

...5 Months of waiting b/c of IMBRA ridiculousness...

September 5-06--APPROVED!! 162 days!

September 09-06-Received NOA2

January 03-07----Medical and Interview in Vancouver - APPROVED!! 285 days from filing!

January 04-07----POE at Vancouver Int'l Airport

January 12-07----Wedding Day!

AOS & EAD

February 20-07---AOS, EAD sent to Chicago

February 27-07---NOA1

March 15-07------Biometrics Appointment

May 09-07------AOS Interview - Approved pending new sponsor.

June 11-07-------Approved & Green Card Issued

Removal of Conditions

May 11-09--------I-751 Sent via FedEx Overnight

May 15-09--------Receipt date on I-797

June 16-09-------Change of Address Confirmed

...one giant address change/biometrics fuxxup later...

July 28-09--------Biometrics taken (walk-in)

July 29-09--------Touched :)

August 13-09---APPROVAL EMAIL!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hello All!

After 2-years freedom from the USCIS, it's back to paperwork for me. I'm getting the documents ready for my application and I'm wondering how critical it is to have the statements from friends notarized. The sample forms here on VJ certainly indicate that being notarized is appropriate, but it's not explicitly stated on the I-751 instructions that I saw. I'd hate to inconvenience my friends if it's not necessary (only notaries here are at the banks which are only open 9-5), but if it is I'm gonna have to start inconveniencing them real quick :P (I know the guide says the friend's statements are optional, but it's listed on the I-751 instructions so I'm going to include them). Also, for the check, do I write one combined check for the fee and biometrics, or a separate check for each one? I can't remember what we did before.

I'm also curious as to how your status exists while your case is pending - I understand that the NOA extends your resident/employment eligibility, is that correct? What about travel - leaving the US is out of the question while it's pending, or does NOA+expired green card still give you the ability to leave the US and return?

Thanks a bunch!

Eli

You can't send enough evidence to the USCIS, they wanted two letters of affidavits we sent four, two from relatives, two from friends. Had friends rejected because they didn't include joint utility bills even with the joint tax returns, insurance, joint ownership of their homes and auto, and a baby born to their marriage. How can you predict what the USCIS will say about your application?

Made a copy of the one year extension for my wife and daughter to carry, too valuable of a piece of paper to get lost, but they never had to show it. But did bring the original along when leaving the country. Figured is they got tossed in jail, could come over with the original, but fortunately that never happened. Nobody knows what the hell that I-797c with that statement on it is anyway except the IO coming back in the country, need both your expired green card and that piece of paper that had to be dragged with them for 11 months and one week, that is less the three months roughly when we applied 90 days in advance when their conditional green cards were still good.

We send in a personal check for the full amount, the fee, and 80 bucks each for my wife and daughter from our joint checking account with both my wife and me signing it. With out interent banking, printed out both sides of that check along with the overnight return receipt as two pieces of evidence that we filed the I-751. We had friends where the USCIS claimed the I-751 was never sent it and if you don't have proof, you are screwed blue, your spouse and daughter can be deported. Also made complete backup copies of everything we sent in, not because we are paranoid, but learned from experiences from our friends that were ahead of us.

We were lucky to receive our ten years cards three weeks before the one year extension ended, but that was with help from our senators office, they misplaced our application. But also had friends that had to make infopass appointments, a 430 mile round trip drive for us to either get a I-551 stamp or an I-94 extension. Again depending on who you talk to, may give you 30 days or six months extension, one with 30 days had to go back again.

I see from reading this site, not much has changed with the I-751, they are still playing around, but do understand, as long as you have that expired green card and one year extension, they cannot deport your loved ones. But they cannot go to school, work, or travel either. Those were very stressful times for us, as the USC, voiced my concerns, hey, you are screwing around with my family.

Thanks for your experience, Nick. Sounds like people are still getting jerked around by the USCIS plenty. My question still stands as to having the affidavits notarized.

I see from reading this site, not much has changed with the I-751, they are still playing around, but do understand, as long as you have that expired green card and one year extension, they cannot deport your loved ones. But they cannot go to school, work, or travel either.

So you are saying that while the application is processing and I have the NOA I can't work or go to school? That's going to cause some serious hardship - I'm in the middle of my college degree, I can't just stop going to classes, not to mention to mention how much financial trouble that will cause. Can anyone else weigh in, please?

Eli

K-1

March 27-06------NOA1

January 03-07----Medical and Interview in Vancouver - APPROVED!! 285 days from filing!

AOS & EAD

February 27-07---NOA1

Removal of Conditions

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Your LPR status is extended while waiting for removal of conditions. You are the same as you were with the greencard - you can travel, work etc. as before - just use your NOA and the expired greencard - (e.g. when traveling). As for affidavits - I consider them extremely weak evidence and didn't use them ever. If you have enough evidence of co-mingled lives like bank statements, credit card statements, utility bills etc. - then you don't need the affidavits (I too hate to inconvenience my friends or relatives for this). Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

We chose to include affidavits in our package, mainly because we have a large age difference, and I wanted to try to eliminate any potential roadblocks up front. We also included taxes, purchase of new home, credit cards, insurance, wills, utility bills and phone bills, and about 12 pictures. We had 3 friends (2 of my hubby's long time friends and my boss at the office) do affidavits. We had them notarized, it's a little inconvenient, but basically my husband took our friends over to the bank one lunchtime, and notarized the papers and then they had lunch together, any excuse to go eat BBQ together :D Looking back at the big packet we sent, I think we might have over-done it though we could have provided much more. If you have lots of other stuff, you probably don't need the affidavits.

AOS: ND - June 5 2006 | RFE - June 15 2006 | FP Notice - June 30 (Rescheduled to Sept 16) | AP ND - August 14 2006| Walk-in FP - Sept 5 (FP cleared next day!) | Interview - Sept 8 2006 (Approved!) | Welcome Letter - Sept 13 | EAD received - Sept 19 (kinda moot since I'm waiting for GC) | GC received - Sept 23 2006 - Woohoo!!

I-751: 06/10/08 Mailed package to VSC direct (per memo instructions) not TSC. The wait begins... | 06/11/08 Package received at VSC (12.12pm) | 06/19/08 Check cashed | 06/20/08 Received NOA1 in the mail - ND is 06/17/08 | 07/10/08 Received Biometrics Appt Letter - ND is 7/7/08 | 07/22/08 Biometrics (had to do ink & paper also...) | 07/22/08 Touched | 07/23/08 Touched | 02/11/09 Transferred to CSC (got email)... | 02/12/09 Touched | 02/20/09 Touched (but no email) | 03/24/09 Approval letter arrives in the mail! Approval date is 3/18/09 from VSC | 04/03/09 Received card, postmarked 3/31 from CSC

N-400: 06/11/09 Mailed to Lewisville Lockbox | 06/12/09 Package received at Lockbox and signed for at 1.31pm | 06/18/09 Check Cashed | 06/19/09 NOA, PD 06/12/09 | 07/06/09 Biometrics letter received, ND is 07/02/09 | 07/24/09 Biometrics appointment | 08/06/09 IL received, ND 08/03/09 | Interview 09/14/09 at 9.30am (approved!) | Oath 10/21/09 | USC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had one notarized (a friend has a coworker who is a notary), and one that wasn't. Of course I'm too early in the process to really know whether they will RFE for it, but my hunch is no, if they wanted notarized letters they would have explicitly stated they wanted them. It's probably not where they place the burden of proof anyway, the leases, insurance, wills etc. evidence you provide probably gives them more than enough to go on. I look at the letters as supplemental evidence not primary evidence, so I didn't sweat the notary.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

We chose to inconvenience our friends and landlord a month ago and had them swear before a notary officer. :P Don't get us wrong, no reasons out of the ordinary. Ours is one of those straightfoward cases and we have a comprehensive set of primary evidence that we collected over the years from the day we got married up to now, but we just want to add the affidavits as they are suggested examples of evidence in the I-751 instructions (no matter how "weak" of an evidence they are to other people) and our friends and landlord didn't mind.

Other people didn't have their friends/family's affidavits notarized and they were approved fine. Whether you have the affidavits notarized or not, or include them or not in your set of evidence, I wish you good luck.

Edited by ~krakatoa~

Thank you so much for your advice guys :) Not notarizing will help me get this all out quicker. I'm starting to feel a little anxious because all we have is a joint lease, joint bank account, joint tax returns, and health insurance, in addition to other evidence like the affidavits by friends and photos. *Sigh* - I hate how much stress this puts on us to meet their idea of proving our marriage. We don't have much as college students, and it makes me feel like we're insufficiently married in the USCIS's eyes.

Eli

K-1

March 27-06------NOA1

AOS & EAD

February 27-07---NOA1

Removal of Conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.