klester

Bank statement for Affidavit of Support

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Just a quick question about bank statements for the affidavit of support (shown to the consular officer during interview).

Are they wanting to see this information because they want to determine that you have a high account balance? Or are they trying to use this information to reveal that a good amount of money has been continuously deposited into your account during the year?

I am going to use my Dad as a co-sponsor, but he doesn't really have much money in the bank (around $2~3k in his checking account depending on the month) and doesn't have a savings account. He makes 70k a year so getting his W2 info from previous years and getting a letter from his employer as well as his paystubs won't be a problem, so I was wondering if I needed to bother with the bank account statement?

Straight from Tokyo's website:

"To substantiate the information regarding income and resources the sponsor should attached two or more of the following items to the affidavit:

* Copies of his or her latest federal income tax return

* Statement from his/her employer showing salary and the length and permanency of employment

* Statement from an officer of a bank regarding his/her account, the date the account was opened and the present balance

* Any other evidence adequate to establish financial ability to carry out his/her undertaking toward the applicant for what might be an indefinite period of time"

So do you think I should include a bank statement if it isn't going to show a high balance (but will show ~5-6k entering into the account and most of that going out every month)? Or should I just use the employer letters, paystubs, and W2 and assume that will be enough?

Thanks. :dance:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

your dad makes enough, so he doesn't need any bank statement, just get his 2008 income tax and W2 and fill in the box about his income, you can ignore the rest...

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Just a quick question about bank statements for the affidavit of support (shown to the consular officer during interview).

Are they wanting to see this information because they want to determine that you have a high account balance? Or are they trying to use this information to reveal that a good amount of money has been continuously deposited into your account during the year?

I am going to use my Dad as a co-sponsor, but he doesn't really have much money in the bank (around $2~3k in his checking account depending on the month) and doesn't have a savings account. He makes 70k a year so getting his W2 info from previous years and getting a letter from his employer as well as his paystubs won't be a problem, so I was wondering if I needed to bother with the bank account statement?

Straight from Tokyo's website:

"To substantiate the information regarding income and resources the sponsor should attached two or more of the following items to the affidavit:

* Copies of his or her latest federal income tax return

* Statement from his/her employer showing salary and the length and permanency of employment

* Statement from an officer of a bank regarding his/her account, the date the account was opened and the present balance

* Any other evidence adequate to establish financial ability to carry out his/her undertaking toward the applicant for what might be an indefinite period of time"

So do you think I should include a bank statement if it isn't going to show a high balance (but will show ~5-6k entering into the account and most of that going out every month)? Or should I just use the employer letters, paystubs, and W2 and assume that will be enough?

Thanks. :dance:

If you have regular employment and income above the guidelines you do not need a bank letter or statement. They do not care if you have money in the bank or even know what a bank is, IF you have sufficient, verifiable income. If you are trying to qualify using money in the bank as "assets" then it would be important.

It can also be useful for self employed people as a back-up to their tax returns to prove income.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

moving to:

US Embassy and Consulate General Discussion

You are almost there and now you have to deal with the embassy. This is the place to post your experiences or questions related to this last step before moving to the US. Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here.

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.