spicer650

Waiting for AOS/EAD.. When can I get Drivers License?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hi, I'm in Ohio and I want to get my drivers license.

I'm in the middle of AOS/EAD and my EAD just got approved (got letter in mail today).

What all do I need to get my DL, what documents do I have to show them?

Do I need to wait for my work permit to get here, then get my SSN and then DL? or can I get my DL already without having my workpermit?

I'm in the middle of AOS/EAD and my EAD just got approved (got letter in mail today).

Do I need to wait for my work permit to get here, then get my SSN and then DL? or can I get my DL already without having my workpermit?

I don't know specifically about your state, but many states require EAD or GC to get a license. When you receive the actual EAD card, you can take that along with Social Security card (which you can get with EAD, if you haven't yet), and passport to the DMV and you will be good to go.

In Ohio:

(1) Name and Date of Birth and (2) Social Security Number (SSN), if ever assigned. (Ohio Administrative Code Sections 4501:1-1-19, 21, 22). Additionally, non-U.S. citizens are required to provide proof of legal presence before an Ohio driver's license or identification card can be issued.

Legal Presence:

On Wednesday, May 15, 2002, Ohio Governor Bob Taft signed Senate Bill 184 into law. This new law, among other provisions, requires the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) to verify an applicant's legal presence in the United States.

Effective May 26, 2002, Non-U.S. citizens must present appropriate documentation issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in order to obtain an Ohio identification card or a driver license. A Non-renewable/Non-transferable identification card or driver license is issued with the same expiration date that appears on the appropriate document issued by the USCIS and will not exceed four (4) years. A non-renewable/non-transferable driver license allows individuals to drive in Ohio and other states, but it cannot be renewed or transferred to another state. The individual will be required to present current documents issued by USCIS at the time of every renewal and will not exceed four (4) birthdays. This rule also applies to those under the age of 21.

Non-U.S. citizens who have been granted permanent residency and present a valid I-551 (green card) will be issued a regular Ohio driver license which will expire on their 4th birthday from the date of issuance or the expiration date of the I-551, whichever is shorter. All non-U.S. citizens who are permanent residents will be required to present their unexpired I-551 (green card) at the time of renewal.

Source: Ohio BMV

Edited by Bobby_Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

First of all, every state is different. In your state, Ohio you must have at least EAD.

They will issue a DL which will be expired on the same expiration date on your EAD.

When you get your 2-year Conditional GC, they will issue a DL for 2 years.

When you get your permanent GC (10 year), then they will issue a DL for 4 years like a USC.

I hope this info would have helped you.

GOOD LUCK !......

HERE IS MY TIMELINE :

I-130 mailed 01/13/09

I-130 received by USCIS 01/16/09

NOA1 Mail for I-130 received 01/22/09

I-485 Package mailed 02/17/09

I-485 Package received by USCIS 02/20/09

NOA1 Mail for I-485 & I-765 received 02/26/09

NOA2 e-mail for I-130 Approval 03/03/09 (47 Days)

NOA2 Hard Copy of I-130 Approval received 03/07/09

Biometrics Done 03/24/09

REAL WAIT BEGINS .........

NOTE : I DID NOT APPLY FOR AP (I-131) AND STILL CAN'T SEE ON-LINE STATUS FOR AOS & EAD !.....

"Patience is the key to the paradise (US Citizenship, in our case)"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Check with state DMV. In Vermont we needed only marriage lisence and copy of I-797C showing we filed AOS. My wife had her SSN one week after arriving and her drivers lisence 2 months before green card.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

In Ohio:

(1) Name and Date of Birth and (2) Social Security Number (SSN), if ever assigned. (Ohio Administrative Code Sections 4501:1-1-19, 21, 22). Additionally, non-U.S. citizens are required to provide proof of legal presence before an Ohio driver's license or identification card can be issued.

Legal Presence:

On Wednesday, May 15, 2002, Ohio Governor Bob Taft signed Senate Bill 184 into law. This new law, among other provisions, requires the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) to verify an applicant's legal presence in the United States.

Effective May 26, 2002, Non-U.S. citizens must present appropriate documentation issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in order to obtain an Ohio identification card or a driver license. A Non-renewable/Non-transferable identification card or driver license is issued with the same expiration date that appears on the appropriate document issued by the USCIS and will not exceed four (4) years. A non-renewable/non-transferable driver license allows individuals to drive in Ohio and other states, but it cannot be renewed or transferred to another state. The individual will be required to present current documents issued by USCIS at the time of every renewal and will not exceed four (4) birthdays. This rule also applies to those under the age of 21.

Non-U.S. citizens who have been granted permanent residency and present a valid I-551 (green card) will be issued a regular Ohio driver license which will expire on their 4th birthday from the date of issuance or the expiration date of the I-551, whichever is shorter. All non-U.S. citizens who are permanent residents will be required to present their unexpired I-551 (green card) at the time of renewal.

Source: Ohio BMV

This says "green card" not EAD. Reads like Ohio requires a green card for DL.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think the requirements vary on every state. I suggest you visit the website of the drivers services website of your state.

When I applied for my driver's license, I just showed my EAD, marriage certificate and gave my SSN. They also asked my spouse to show his driver's license just to verify my residential address.

Edited by alienlovechild

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm also in Ohio and I called the DMV. They said I just needed my passport with visa in, the NOA1 for AOS if I had it or if not, a letter from husbands work saying that he worked there, earned x amount and was married to me and was supporting me. Bit random but that's what they asked for! We sent in our AOS documents last week so as soon as I get the first response, I will be going to take my test...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.