evilmonkey

Speeding Ticket and Naturalization

67 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline
N-400 instructions are clearly flawed...

Then I suggest you contact USCIS and ask them to change the instructions. Don't go on the verbal assurance of anyone, even if they are a government official.

If there is any confusion on how to answer, I would advise that people err on the side of being truthful and disclosing too much instead of too little. If you fail to disclose something, you could be denied, or your citizenship could be taken away at a later time if USCIS eventually finds out. Now, granted, the odds of these sanctions probably aren't that great, but it doesn't matter what the odds are if you end up being the unlucky target of them.

It seems strange to me the people who say not to discose are asked what they would have to lose by telling the whole truth, their response is to accuse those of us who choose to be up front and honest on our applications of being paranoid.

They're talking about legalizing millions of people who broke the law and crossed the border illegally and then they want to deny or possibly denaturalize people for a moving violation?

I'm fine with that, go ahead and deny me, I don't really need a US passport anyways.

But it does sound a little ridicolous, wouldn't you agree?

N-400 instructions are clearly flawed...

Then I suggest you contact USCIS and ask them to change the instructions. Don't go on the verbal assurance of anyone, even if they are a government official.

If there is any confusion on how to answer, I would advise that people err on the side of being truthful and disclosing too much instead of too little. If you fail to disclose something, you could be denied, or your citizenship could be taken away at a later time if USCIS eventually finds out. Now, granted, the odds of these sanctions probably aren't that great, but it doesn't matter what the odds are if you end up being the unlucky target of them.

It seems strange to me the people who say not to discose are asked what they would have to lose by telling the whole truth, their response is to accuse those of us who choose to be up front and honest on our applications of being paranoid.

Then go ahead and disclose all the "crimes" you committed without being arrested (caught).

I guarantee you nobody would apply for naturalization...

AOS:

RD: 6/21/06

Biometrics: 7/25/06

ID: 10/24/06 - Approved

Conditional GC Received: 11/3/06

I-751

RD: 7/31/08

NOA 1: 8/6/08

Biometrics: 8/26/08

Transferred to CSC: 2/25/09

Approved: 4/23/09 (email received)

Card mailed: 4/28/09 (email received)

Card Received: 5/1/09

N-400

RD & PD: 7/28/09

NOA 1: 8/1/09

Biometric appt: 8/12/09

Interview Letter received: 10/02/09 (notice dated 09/29)

Interview Date: 11/10/09 at Federal Plaza in Manhattan

Oath Letter: 11/10/09

Oath Date: 11/13/09 - Special ceremony at USS Intrepid - Done - USC

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Sigh....you seem to assume that the plain meaning of words such as "crime" and "offense" governs.

For someone who has an ordinary traffic citation, i.e. a mere "moving violation," the answer to this question is almost certainly

NO, because a "moving violation," barring additional circumstances/enhancements (e.g. alcohol) is NOT a crime or an offense.

Not necessarily... Here's what our local traffic court has on their website

Centennial Municipal Court handles a wide variety of minor offense violations which include traffic penalties, animal violations, municipal code and zoning code violations.

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Timeline
They're talking about legalizing millions of people who broke the law and crossed the border illegally and then they want to deny or possibly denaturalize people for a moving violation?

I'm fine with that, go ahead and deny me, I don't really need a US passport anyways.

Then go ahead and disclose all the "crimes" you committed without being arrested (caught).

I never said the rules or the process made sense, but unfortunately we don't get to make or change them on our own.

My wife answered "yes" to question 15 because she got a speeding ticket and was cited but not arrested. It seems to me the wording on the question should be re-written to "Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer?"

08/28/2004 Engaged

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

I never said the rules or the process made sense, but unfortunately we don't get to make or change them on our own.

My wife answered "yes" to question 15 because she got a speeding ticket and was cited but not arrested. It seems to me the wording on the question should be re-written to "Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer?"

Again, why do you assume that a speeding ticket/citation is a "crime" or an "offense"? The legal definitions are

quite different from everyday language.

Under the facts you pose, your wife should have answered NO to question 15 and YES to question 16. [Of course,

you may say, in practice, does it really matter whether I said YES to both or YES only to question 16. Probably

not, since it is pretty clear that your intent was to give full disclosure. But since we are debating the technicalities

here, I thought I should point out the legally correct answer.]

Timeline

Why would she have answered "no" to 15? The question on the form is "Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested?"

The court with jurisdiction classifies a traffic violation is a minor offense and I'll take them at their word.

My wife committed an offense (speeding) for which she was cited, but NOT arrested. Therefore, based on the way the question is worded, "yes" appears to be the correct answer.

Edited by jsnearline

08/28/2004 Engaged

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

Again, why do you assume that a speeding ticket/citation is a "crime" or an "offense"? The legal definitions are

Under the facts you pose, your wife should have answered NO to question 15 and YES to question 16. [Of course,

you may say, in practice, does it really matter whether I said YES to both or YES only to question 16. Probably

not, since it is pretty clear that your intent was to give full disclosure. But since we are debating the technicalities

So what is the legally correct answer? According my state

An offense is a violation of the penal law. An offense can range from a simple petty misdemeanor (e.g. a traffic violation) to a felony (e.g. capital murder). In common law usage, 'offense' differs from 'crime' in that there is typically no victim, but the action remains prohibited by statute.

And now I'm done with this topic. We are going around in circles. You want to report it, do it. You don't want to report it don't. :)

My Citizenship Timeline

Service Center : Nebraska

CIS Office : St Paul, MN

Date Filed : 2008-07-31

NOA Date : 2008-08-06

Bio.Rcvd Date : 2008-08-15

Bio. Appt. : 2008-08-28

Interview Date : 2008-12-08

Approved : YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Final Approval 2009-03-16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!File is in line for Oath Schedule

Oath Letter Rcvd: 2009-04-03

Oath Ceremony : 2009-04-30

Total Time So Far: 9 months, 0 days ..WooHoo!!!!!!!! Can You Hear The Sarcasm =)

I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Or just obey the speed limit law on the road... you leadfoot you! :):devil::devil::devil:

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Best bet then if you are worried is to contact the INS yourself and ask them. That's what I did along with many others and we were saved the trouble and hassle of having to get all the documentation for old tickets. It didn't even matter that it came up in the interview.

Now just remember for a lot of people tracking down and trying to get the records of old tickets might be a lot of work, especially out of state fines, so just be prepared if you do decide you want to go through with it, to really get working on it as it may not be as easy as you hope...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Why would she have answered "no" to 15? The question on the form is "Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested?"

The court with jurisdiction classifies a traffic violation is a minor offense and I'll take them at their word.

My wife committed an offense (speeding) for which she was cited, but NOT arrested. Therefore, based on the way the question is worded, "yes" appears to be the correct answer.

Which body of law did you use in defining the word "offense?" Remember who the party is that is using the

word "offense." This question does NOT turn on CO law.

An offense is a violation of the penal law. An offense can range from a simple petty misdemeanor (e.g. a traffic violation) to a felony (e.g. capital murder). In common law usage, 'offense' differs from 'crime' in that there is typically no victim, but the action remains prohibited by statute.

And now I'm done with this topic. We are going around in circles. You want to report it, do it. You don't want to report it don't. :)

Why do you assume that your state law applies? Also, why do you assume that a traffic citation is a misdemeanor? Felonies and

misdemeanors are not the only violations that exist and not all violations are "crimes" or "offenses."

Which body of law did you use in defining the word "offense?" Remember who the party is that is using the

word "offense." This question does NOT turn on CO law.

Why do you assume that your state law applies? Also, why do you assume that a traffic citation is a misdemeanor? Felonies and

misdemeanors are not the only violations that exist and not all violations are "crimes" or "offenses."

I have come to a stop myself on this "English/law/explanation/definition" game. I have come to the conclusion agreeable with KyngSilva: You want to report it, do it. You don't want to report it, then don't. Anyone else wants to continue please feel free to do so. I've gotta get some popcorn and watch this goes on if it does go on. Anyone can tell me where can I find a "eating popcorn" post icon? Thanks in advance!

N-400

5/29/2010 - USPS Express Mail Out N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/11/2010 - NOA in my mail box

6/17/2010 - Able to see case status "Initial Review"

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/2/2010 - Called mis-information line to put in a service request for STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED "FP NOTICE"

7/8/2010 - LUD, at 2:32am, received text msg and e-mail for req. for add'l evidence being mailed out on July 6th, believe it's for the FP

7/12/2010 - Received FP notice in mail, scheduled for 8/2/2010

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

7/22/2010 - Online status changed to "Case sent to local office for interview schedule"

7/27/2010 - Received interview letter for 8/23/2010

8/23/2010 - Passed interview, was informed that next oath date is 9/22/2010 and oath letter will come in the mail

9/3/2010 - Received oath letter in the mail for 9/22/2010

Disclaimer: All comments, advice and information are given out by my kind intention, please use them at your own risk and do not hold me liable or responsible for any inaccuracy.

Timeline

The horse is DEAD people!!! :)

08/28/2004 Engaged

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

It wasn't easy explaining to my why if have zillions of speed limit signs plastered all over the place when she first came here, coming from a country with terrible roads and zero speed limit signs. Can't even convince myself of that when on an interstate, have to poke along at 55 mph, and maybe up to 65 mph if far from the nearest dinky little town. But she asked about all those cars with the flashing red and blue lights stopped along the side of the road. They sure aren't protecting people, issuing speeding tickets instead. Quite a racket in this country with speed traps, and if you are driving on a lonely dead country road, can bet your last buck there is a cop hidden at the bottom waiting to give you a ticket especially on a very steep hill. We also happened by our court house with over 200 people in line waiting to pay fines. Just said, that is a perfect example of Homeland Security where just about every small town in WI had the police force more than doubled. All they are good for is issuing tickets, and mainly for speeding.

But she was a good girl and managed to get through USC without a ticket. But she did get stopped two weeks ago for doing 24 in a 20 mph speed zone, use to be a 35, then a 25, now a 20, if they keep on dropping the speed limits, we will be driving backwards. So why aren't the people bitching about this? Why so many speed traps, and if you are even stopped with a burnt out useless sidelamp that most cars don't even have, they can search your vehicle for drugs, or your money as 80% of all of our cash is drug tainted. Fortunately, her officer just told her to slow down but only doing four miles over the limit, but never issued a ticket. But that is how ridiculous are laws have become.

No compromise if you are driving a hot sports car that can go from 60 to zero in under 90 feet and going just a couple of mph over the limit. Now a fully loaded 18 wheeler would take over 500 feet to stop at the same speed and do a hell of a lot of damage in between, but 55 means 55, no exceptions. Who makes these laws? And why isn't the majority of Americans complaining about this? Been driving so long, can smell a cop a mile away and well aware of their hiding places, but have given up and set the cruise at 55.

But here is the ironic thing, we live in a society that demands you be on time, work, school, and especially the USCIS, yep, had to cheat a little with unexpected accidents, detours, and unreported work construction. Even though the bastards will make you wait 3 hours, already happened to us, if you are one second late for your appointed time, can reject you.

Rigoletto my friend,

Firstly I work with the PD here so, speeding in Minnesota is an offense. Regardless of what you think or how you interpret the question, it's an offense. Plain and simple. Might not be an offense where you come from, but it is an offense here. The question relates to both State and Federal. I have not assumed anything. If you apply for ANY federal job you are required to put down every bit of information, every time a cop has stopped you, regardless of the reason. Same applies to your N-400. They are Federal application and failure to report the smallest details can make your application null and void. Which is determined by the person reviewing your documents. Goes back to the point of judging your moral character, not the offense that was committed unless it was capital murder. I know my state statues. I sit for 3.5 hrs studying them every other day. Secondly I did not assume that a traffic citation is a misdemeanor, I said it was a petty misdemeanor. Big difference here in Minnesota. :o

Edited by KyngSilva

My Citizenship Timeline

Service Center : Nebraska

CIS Office : St Paul, MN

Date Filed : 2008-07-31

NOA Date : 2008-08-06

Bio.Rcvd Date : 2008-08-15

Bio. Appt. : 2008-08-28

Interview Date : 2008-12-08

Approved : YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Final Approval 2009-03-16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!File is in line for Oath Schedule

Oath Letter Rcvd: 2009-04-03

Oath Ceremony : 2009-04-30

Total Time So Far: 9 months, 0 days ..WooHoo!!!!!!!! Can You Hear The Sarcasm =)

I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

20 mph over the limit here in WI, they will take your license away, no if's and's or but's. I won't even own a vehicle unless it has cruise control, very easy to creep up, hour after hour.

Rigoletto my friend,

Firstly I work with the PD here so, speeding in Minnesota is an offense. Regardless of what you think or how you interpret the question, it's an offense. Plain and simple. Might not be an offense where you come from, but it is an offense here. The question relates to both State and Federal. I have not assumed anything. If you apply for ANY federal job you are required to put down every bit of information, every time a cop has stopped you, regardless of the reason. Same applies to your N-400. They are Federal application and failure to report the smallest details can make your application null and void. Which is determined by the person reviewing your documents. Goes back to the point of judging your moral character, not the offense that was committed unless it was capital murder. I know my state statues. I sit for 3.5 hrs studying them every other day. Secondly I did not assume that a traffic citation is a misdemeanor, I said it was a petty misdemeanor. Big difference here in Minnesota. :o

Your analysis should start with the definitions under Title 18 of U.S.C.

Again, don't confuse the issues - we are dealing with the question at hand - not the questions in other federal job applications. I work at

a federal district court and have had to fill out such forms. The questions are more broadly phrased.

Incidentally, we have a lot of police officers coming through here - some know the law, and others don't. But all claim that they do. :whistle:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.