FormelyCA

How do you get married? Can you just go down to courthouse??

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm in Virginia (Fairfax county) - you go and apply down at the courthouse for your marriage license (you each fill out a form) - you stand in line, pay a fee and they give you the marriage license.

You need to bring id - I brought my Cdn passport, and Cdn birth certificate (probably I brought the long - just in case). My husband is the USC, he brought his drivers license (which shows address) and his birth cert or passport I forget which)

There is no blood test or anything fancy - took us about ½ hour tops

I googled marriage license and the county name and it came up with a hit

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/COURTS/CIRCUI...icense_info.htm

Once married, the minister signed it and it was submitted back to the courthouse - This is where you're going to get a notiarized copy of your marriage license which you will need for the AOS package. I got a few extra copies for other things too. They notarize it on the spot if you pay.

We took it in ourselves to speed the process

Good to know!

I guess I am confused because we already HAD our wedding. So, after we get the license I wasn't sure where to take it, since we weren't having a minister or anything like that.

Do we have to have a mini ceremony somewhere??? We were just hoping to get the certificate, like graduating university or something :P Just go, shake a hand and they give it to you :D

I dont wanna have another hookey ceremony just because. I mean, I will if we have to.

Anyone do this??

You can just go tot he courthouse and they read the vows and you say I do and sign the certificate. It's nothing fancy by any means.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I am totally confused on this.

Upon arrival, how do we get married?? I know we go to the courthouse, get a marriage license but then it says "you have 60 days to use it". HUH?? I thought that was it? Use it how?? We aren't having a ceremony because we already did that (non legal a few months ago). Do we still have to get someone to do a ceremony with the legal certificate now????

ANyone have any tips?? I will be in Virginia. I'm so confused!!! I'm also hugely confused on the definitions. What is "marriage" and "married". Is that the CEREMONY???

Married license and married certificate are two different things.The license allows you to be married and the certificate is proof that you are married. Regarding married and marriage, let me use it in a sentence with regards to the question you asked. You get the license so that you can get married and receive the certificate after the marriage.

Edited by kcoyclay1

STANLEY & KAREN
01/15/2009 - Fedex I-130, I-485, I-693, I-864, I-765, G-325A
01/20/2009 - Received in mail-room and signed for by J CHYBA
01/28/2009 - Checks cashed by Homeland Security
02/02/2009 - Received in mail 3 pcs of NOA1 one each for I-485, I-130, I-765 dated 01/28/2009
02/03/2009 - Received email RFE. What did I not send now, whew!
02/09/2009 - Received mails for initial evidence and Biometric appointment (02/19/2009); mailed evidence
02/19/2009 - biometrics done - in a out in 45 minutes
03/14/2009 - Receive NOA2 dated 03/10/2009. AOS interview April 29, 2009
03/18/2009 - Touched. EAD Card production ordered
03/25/2009 - Touched. EAD approval sent
03/27/2009 - EAD card received in the mail; applied for SS# immediately (office is across the street from my home)
04/02/2009 - Received SS# in the mail
04/29/2009 - Interviewed. I- 130 approved, I-485 pending IO's review
05/05/2009 - Received NOA2. Welcome letter for Permanent Residency. I-130 and I-485 approved 04/30/2009
05/08/2009 - Touched. I-485 approval letter sent
05/11/2009 - GC received in the mail. Expires 2019
05/11/2009 - Applied to remove restrictions on my SS Card
05/18/2009 - Received unrestricted SS card

10/13/2009 - My darling husband of 2 yrs 5 months 3 weeks 3 days passed away :(

Naturalization Process (5 Yrs Later) :goofy:

Mar 28, 2014 - Mailed N-400
Apr 08, 2014 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2014 - Receive Notice letter Priority date April 3, 2014
Apr 11, 2014 - Touched - Email - Biometrics letter mailed
May 08, 2014 - Biometrics done
May 12, 2014 - Touched - Email - In line for interview scheduling
July 12, 2014 - Pre-interview letter (Yellow letter) received in mail
Aug 20, 2014 - Touched - Email - Interview scheduled
Aug 25, 2014 - Interview scheduled for Sept. 24, 2014
Sept 24, 2014 - Passed interview
Oct 06, 2014 - Touched - Email - In oath scheduling que
Oct 08, 2014 - Touched - Text - Oath ceremony scheduled
Oct 14, 2014 - Received letter - Oath ceremony Oct 28, 2014
Oct 28, 2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN! :joy: :joy: :joy:
Nov 12, 2014 - Updated my status from permanent resident to citizen at Social Security
Nov 14, 2014 - Applied for US passport
Nov 29, 2014 - Received US passport book
Dec 01, 2014 - Received Passport card
Dec 04, 2014 - Received Naturalization Certificate

--------------------
KayCee

Ccut.jpg.png

Filed: Other Timeline

And an official cannot give you a marriage certificate unless an actual ceremony of some sort takes place in his/her presence. They cannot just take your wordfor it that you were already married. Which you're not, if it was not a legal ceremony and you rec'd no documentation. (surprising for Canada, unless an unlicensed friend did it for you, marriage laws are fairly specific about by whom and how in Canada.)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Upon arrival, how do we get married?? I know we go to the courthouse, get a marriage license but then it says "you have 60 days to use it". HUH?? I thought that was it? Use it how?? We aren't having a ceremony because we already did that (non legal a few months ago). Do we still have to get someone to do a ceremony with the legal certificate now????

ANyone have any tips?? I will be in Virginia. I'm so confused!!! I'm also hugely confused on the definitions. What is "marriage" and "married". Is that the CEREMONY???

Hi,

Im not sure how you were able to have a ceremony without it being legal. We were thinking of having a church ceremony in Toronto in August 2009 (without the legal signing of the pastor). However, our plans fell through when the pastor said that it's illegal for pastors or officiators to do minister a wedding without it being legal. He said that he would only be able to do it if we got married legally before the wedding or do the legal signing at the wedding ceremony.

Needless to say, we were both bummed and had to change our plans and marry after I enter the U.S. We'll likely do the courthouse marriage first and then hopefully hold the actual ceremony in December 2009.

Tina

Naturalization Journey

----------------------------------------------------

12/18/12 - Send N-400 package to Phoenix Lockbox!

12/21/12 - Delivered and signed for by Fernando Dominguez

12/24/12 - E-mail notification that file sent to NBC (now able to check case status online!)

12/28/12 - E-mail notification that biometrics notice was sent!

01/08/13 - Biometrics!

04/02/13 - Interview! Passed!

May 2013 - Oath Ceremony!

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

Im not sure how you were able to have a ceremony without it being legal. We were thinking of having a church ceremony in Toronto in August 2009 (without the legal signing of the pastor). However, our plans fell through when the pastor said that it's illegal for pastors or officiators to do minister a wedding without it being legal. He said that he would only be able to do it if we got married legally before the wedding or do the legal signing at the wedding ceremony.

Needless to say, we were both bummed and had to change our plans and marry after I enter the U.S. We'll likely do the courthouse marriage first and then hopefully hold the actual ceremony in December 2009.

Tina

We had our wedding in Honduras and there wasn't a priest or pastor present. We aren't religious so, why pretend to be for the 30 min ceremony? It was still nice though and you would have never really known it wasn't legal. We had an "officiant" (husbands uncle), exchanged vows, rings, did a candle ceremony. Really, all this hoopla about marriage is overrated. It really is a legal thing. Makes me even madder about the anti-legalization of gay marriage attitude prevalent here...separation people....SEPARATION. Anyway...back to issue :)

Are you 100% set on a church ceremony? You could have a nice outdoor ceremony somewhere. Venues don't care if your thing is legal or not, they just want paid :D So, you could get "married" and do EVERYTHING else but sign the papers. Perhaps something to consider if you are dead set on a Canadian wedding. Though, I am not sure you have enough time to plan everything if you are leaving soon :(

September 11th, 2004 - Met in Asia

May 2007 - Engaged in Hawaii!!

June 2008 - I-129F Petition

June (I think) 2008 - NOA1

October 2008 - NOA2 (P3 sent to wrong consulate by accident)

December 2008 - NON-legal wedding ceremony in Honduras

January 19th, 2009 - P3 finally arrives to correct consulate AND me!!

January 19th, 2009 - "Overnighted" P3 back same day. I am so efficient!!

January 23rd, 2009 - Montreal finally gets it. "Overnight" my a**!! Money refunded to me from Canada Post...ASAH!

March 27th, 2009 - Notified by phone call of interview date

March 31, 2009 - Interview Letter received in mail (P4)

April 6th, 2009 - Medical

April 17th, 2009 - Interview!!!

April 27th 2009 MOVED POE - Buffalo Peace Bridge

May 1st 2009 - Married!!

May 18th - SSN arrived in mail

AoS:

May 14th, 2009 - Filed for AoS - Come on NOOOO RFE'S!!!

May 22nd, 2009 - NOA1 for AoS, AP, EAD - California Service Center. ASAH

May 30th, 2009 - Biometrics appointment letter received for I485, I765 (where is the I131????)....date June 12th. 2009

June 2nd, 2009 - Biometrics completed

June 15th, 2009 - EAD Card production ordered!!

June 20th, 2009 - AP, EAD arrives in mail! (no email from CRIS)

July 2nd, 2009 - AOS Transferred to California

August 7th, 2009 - Green Card production ordered. WoohoO!

Filed: Other Timeline

Tina

It's just the way the marriage laws are written in Canada. Any licensed officiator cannot perform a marriage ceremony without there being paperwork involved. However, you CAN have someone who is NOT licensed "officiate" for you. Like a friend or relative or complete stranger, and have it not legal.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.