VisaJourney.com Logo
Gallery      Form Downloads      Example Forms      Processing Times      Embassy Info      Reviews: Embassy/USCIS & POE      Affiliates     Members

Latest VJ Member Visa Approvals - Congratulations!

blank avatarAmanda & Justin
K1 Visa
Canada
Emily & Friday
K1 Visa
Nigeria
blank avatarAlicia & Chris
K1 Visa
United Kingdom
blank avatarR & A
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Poland
Grecia & Thomas
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
France
meee & herrr
K1 Visa
India
Todd & Beth
K1 Visa
Philippines
blank avatarSammy & Olly
K1 Visa
Nigeria
Lindsey & Scott
K1 Visa
United Kingdom
blank avatarStephen & Gloria
K1 Visa
Philippines

Visa Interviews Today: Good Luck!!

Elizabeth & Ahmed
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Egypt

• Please log in to reply

Aeroflot Moscow-JFK pilot removed by passengers

#1 Saddle Bronc

Saddle Bronc

Suvarthapuram

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:28 AM

http://www.themoscow...0/42/374157.htm

When Aeroflot Passengers Rejected Their Pilot
2009/03/02

When passengers on Aeroflot Flight 315 heard the pilot make his preflight announcement, they knew something was amiss. The pilot's voice was garbled, barely intelligible — and that was in his native Russian. When he switched to English, it was impossible to understand him at all.

"The first thought that occurred to me was, 'This guy is drunk,'" said Khatuna Kobiashvili, a passenger on the Moscow-New York flight. "His speech was so slurred it was hard to tell what language he was speaking."

As passengers, including a Moscow Times reporter, related their concerns to the flight crew, they were told to "stop making trouble" or get off the Boeing 767 jet. A passenger who called Aeroflot's head office received a similar rebuff.

"They told me that it was impossible for a pilot to be drunk and hung up the phone," said the passenger, Tatyana Vorontsova.

After a chaotic hour during which passengers pleaded with flight attendants, crew and several Aeroflot representatives who boarded the plane, unexpected help came from socialite and TV host Ksenia Sobchak, who was also on the plane, and all four pilots were replaced.

The Dec. 28 incident is a black mark against an airline that has worked hard to distance itself from its Soviet past and assuage passenger fears after a jet operated by Aeroflot-Nord crashed last September, killing all 88 people on board. Pilot error has been blamed for the crash, and a report said Monday that tests had found alcohol in the pilot's blood. (Story, Page 2.)

Aeroflot spokeswoman Irina Dannenberg refused to comment for this article, telling a reporter to "read about it on the Internet."

Immediately after the incident, Dannenberg told Komsomolskaya Pravda that the pilots were removed from the plane because of "mass psychosis" among the passengers. In the same interview, Dannenberg said Aeroflot would sue Sobchak if the costs of delaying the flight were "very large."

Nearly three weeks later, Aeroflot issued a statement saying the pilot, Alexander Cheplevsky, might have suffered a stroke immediately before the flight. Tests administered after the incident found no signs of intoxication, it said.

Oleg Smirnov, a decorated test pilot and head of the Partner for Civil Aviation, said he doubted that the pilot had been drunk because "only a madman" would decide to pilot a trans-Atlantic flight while intoxicated. He added, however, that while pilots are forced to undergo a battery of medical tests before each flight, a test determining blood alcohol level is not among them.

"There is just too much trust in the professionalism of the pilots to think they would do that kind of thing," he said.

Passengers said Cheplevsky, when he finally emerged from the cockpit after refusing to do so for half an hour, was red-faced with bloodshot eyes and unsteady on his feet.

"I don't think there's anyone in Russia who doesn't know what a drunk person looks like," said Katya Kushner, who, along with her husband, was one of the first to react when the pilot made his announcement. "At first, he was looking at us like we were crazy. Then, when we wouldn't back down, he said, 'I'll sit here quietly in a corner. We have three more pilots. I won't even touch the controls, I promise.'"

As passengers waited three hours for a new crew to board the plane, more than 100 of them signed a statement saying they believed that Cheplevsky was intoxicated.

At the same time, an Aeroflot representative sought to assure them that "it's not such a big deal if the pilot is drunk."

"Really, all he has to do is press a button and the plane flies itself," the representative said. "The worst that could happen is he'll trip over something in the cockpit."

Komsomolskaya Pravda reported that Cheplevsky had celebrated his birthday the day before the flight.

Nicknamed "Aeroflop" in Soviet times for its dour flight attendants and bad food, Aeroflot has invested tens of millions of dollars in reinventing itself over the past decade with the help of consultants from McKinsey & Company and Identica, a London-based branding and design consultancy.

like rebranding a cheeseburger as "biftek haché au gratin"--sounds fancy (to non-French-cognisant English speakers) but meaningless

The airline banned its subsidiaries from using its name and logo after the Aeroflot-Nord jet crashed in Perm last September, saying it had to protect its safety record.

Aeroflot's safety record is comparable to other major carriers, but the airline is still viewed by many passengers as being subpar in safety and service, said Yelena Sakhnova, an airline analyst at VTB. "Foreigners tend to think that the company is not as safe as other airlines," Sakhnova said. "Russians, on the other hand, think it is the safest of all of the country's airlines, but many complain about the service.

"It's a shame, because when it comes to many of their routes Aeroflot actually provides better service than many of their competitors," she said.

Passengers on the Moscow-New York flight, however, told a different story.

"We really had a legitimate complaint, and the flight attendants were telling us that we were crazy and we should either get back in our seats or get off the plane," Kushner said. "When we insisted on seeing the captain to make sure he was sober, they sent another pilot out who told us that everything would be fine because he would be flying the plane.

"They only started listening to us after Sobchak began making phone calls."

In an interview with Ekho Moskvy radio a few days after the incident, Sobchak said that while she could not prove that the pilot was drunk, she had no regrets about playing a role in having the crew replaced.

"The man was in no condition to fly," she said. "It took him three attempts to say the words 'duration of the flight.' Even after Aeroflot personnel asked him to do so, he barely made it out of the cabin. All of this is a fact. I will make sure that this person will never again touch the controls of an airplane."

Cheplevsky could not be located for comment. An Aeroflot official said he is currently being treated for an unspecified medical condition. It was unclear if and when he would return to work.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras
2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14
2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai
2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date
2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW
2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI
2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago
2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go
2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!
2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)
2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed
2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed
2009/06/18 I-751 approved
2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!
2009/07/23 Pras files N-400
2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved
2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in
---------------------------------------------------------------------
As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

#2 alienlovechild

alienlovechild

Star Member

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:46 AM

Nancy Killefer has withdrawn her candidacy to be the first chief performance officer for the federal government, the White House said Tuesday.

"She has withdrawn and we accepted her withdrawal," a White House spokesman told reporters. The spokesman declined to comment on the reasons and said more information would come later.

The 55-year-old executive with consulting giant McKinsey & Co. was expected to detail her reason for pulling out later Tuesday.

http://www.visajourn...howtopic=176399

Nicknamed "Aeroflop" in Soviet times for its dour flight attendants and bad food, Aeroflot has invested tens of millions of dollars in reinventing itself over the past decade with the help of consultants from McKinsey & Companyand Identica, a London-based branding and design consultancy.

McKinsey is getting some great PR lately.

David & Lalai

Posted Image

Posted Image

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009
Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011
I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011
Biometrics: June 9, 2011

#3 Nagishkaw

Nagishkaw

Animikeeg, big heap member

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:49 AM

headbonk.gif
Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

Posted Image

#4 Dr. Obvious

Dr. Obvious

Being Obvious

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:53 PM

At the same time, an Aeroflot representative sought to assure them that "it's not such a big deal if the pilot is drunk."

"Really, all he has to do is press a button and the plane flies itself," the representative said. "The worst that could happen is he'll trip over something in the cockpit."

*Note to self: Never fly Aeroflot.

#5 rclouse

rclouse

I gotta get out of here. I think I'm gonna lose it.

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:03 PM

A Russian pilot with an alcohol problem? Now you're just talking crazy!
Me -.us Her -.ma
------------------------
I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003
Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!
US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!
Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui
AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004
AOS approved!: 12 July 2005
Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005
I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007
I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007
10 year green card received! 11 June 2007
Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007
Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008
N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008
Check cashed: 17 July 2008
Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008
N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008
N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!
Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008
Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

#6 Teacher Mark

Teacher Mark

Star Member

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:15 PM

I would highlight the points of the article that I found outrageous and bizarre but the whole thing is so I won't bother.

Back to Top ↑

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.