Sign in to follow this  
bhav141

How to extend my Driver's license with I-751 notice??

12 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Today I went to get my driver's license extended after receiving my I-751 notice(my driver license expires the same day as my green card)I was told my DMV that they will extend my driver's license only after I get my approval notice. What do I do?? I drive to work everyday, I dont know what to do??

Anyone was in the same situation??

Hi All,

Today I went to get my driver's license extended after receiving my I-751 notice(my driver license expires the same day as my green card)I was told my DMV that they will extend my driver's license only after I get my approval notice. What do I do?? I drive to work everyday, I dont know what to do??

Anyone was in the same situation??

this has been asked previously, different states have different rules, some easy the others tough. The easiest would be that they accept the 751 extension, the toughest would be making an infopass appointment for a temp 551 extension stamp to satisfy the DMV guys in your state.

I did speak to the supervisor there and tried to explain her what I 751 notice reads, that I have gotten one year extension for work, travel etc. She said I need to I-94 from USCIS. I think she didnt know how to go about it.

I will try another DMV for sure tomorrow.

When any of this happens, it scares you. I was wondering if nothing works out how will I go to work everyday.

Thank you all for your reply. I have made an infopass appointment, I will get the I 551 stamp.

Ree    8
Do an info pass appointment, explain that DMV is giving you a problem, and perhaps they will stamp your passport with I-551 stamp that you can use to renew the DL.

That's what I did when NYS DMV didn't want to exchange my out-of-state license. I made infopass appointment, explained the situation, got my passport stamped, and DMV accepted it :dance:

Do an info pass appointment, explain that DMV is giving you a problem, and perhaps they will stamp your passport with I-551 stamp that you can use to renew the DL.

That's what I did when NYS DMV didn't want to exchange my out-of-state license. I made infopass appointment, explained the situation, got my passport stamped, and DMV accepted it :dance:

I have my conditional green card that expires in march 2010 , I showed my green card and they gave me full 4 year driving license that is valid til 2012 so I don't need to change till my citizenship. I live in Pennsylvania .

Ree    8
I have my conditional green card that expires in march 2010 , I showed my green card and they gave me full 4 year driving license that is valid til 2012 so I don't need to change till my citizenship. I live in Pennsylvania .

If you move here to NYS after March 2010, you will not be able to exchange your PA license without unexpired greencard or I-551 stamp.

Hi Everyone,

Same here (sort of)....I had a 2yr conditional green card, and when I got my driver's license here in NYS they gave me a 4 year driver's license, so I don't need to renew that until awhile after citizenship...

Funny though, now, I can drive and work legally in the USA for 4 years and longer, with a 4yr driver's license and an unrestricted SSN, yet I cannot live here for more than 2 years, unless I get my 2yr green card renewed for a 10 yr green card with the I-751 removal of conditions process...Weird....

Lol...if only the USCIS can be as efficient and as quick as the NYS DMV!!!

Ant (Still waiting at the VSC, Still waiting for Baby...)

Edited by AntandD

Back to Top ↑

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Try asking our VJ Immigration Lawyers.