TBoneTX

Death of Petitioner before Green Card

21 posts in this topic

Interesting. From my lay perspective, two things jump to mind: there is a provision for someone who has a conditional permanent residency to petition to remove conditions on their own. So if I were to keel over now, C. would file the paperwork and he would likely successfully remove conditions. (This provision is in the I-751.)

In case #1, the person has no green card at all, and doesn't currently have a legal way to stay in the country. In case #2, the person has the green card, but it's not clear whether it should have been granted (because of the spouse's death before it was issued without an interview.) So the question is whether case #2 has any kind of permanent residency legitimately. I tend to suspect she'd be in the same boat as case #1.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I have a querry. I have 10 year GC and I don't plan to apply for Citizenship as most of the people do.

I am sure in 10 years time rules will change, but still what is the rule for now. What happens after 10 years? I know I will have to reapply for GC.......but what if my SO dies (yekkk for even typing that). I can picture us having kids in a few years and all that and it would be better for them to have a life in US.

In a situation like that (given my husband is deceased and I remain single) , will I have to leave the country or I will still be eligible for applying for a GC?

Did you actually watch that segment? Sadly, I don't think you did. It laid the USCIS's postion out very nicely. Death of USC = Deportation of Widow (dependent of where they are in the process).

:thumbs: pretty clear on that

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
I have a querry. I have 10 year GC and I don't plan to apply for Citizenship as most of the people do.

I am sure in 10 years time rules will change, but still what is the rule for now. What happens after 10 years? I know I will have to reapply for GC.......but what if my SO dies (yekkk for even typing that). I can picture us having kids in a few years and all that and it would be better for them to have a life in US.

In a situation like that (given my husband is deceased and I remain single) , will I have to leave the country or I will still be eligible for applying for a GC?

I'm sure you'd be fine. The cases in question had not completed the process with USCIS for Permanent Residency.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
Did you actually watch that segment? Sadly, I don't think you did. It laid the USCIS's postion out very nicely. Death of USC = Deportation of Widow (dependent of where they are in the process).

:thumbs: pretty clear on that

Not really. They never really state the point of the process that the couples were in. Those of us that have either been in the process a while or have read up on it can figure it out, but the segment kept it simple.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Where there is love and marriage , then there is good intentions. they should let her stay.

70 yo guys with copd, emphysema , lung ca o2 dependant, well USCIS should let them marry 23 yo asian girls, !!! wow ought to know what would happen. maybe it be a happy death.

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.