Sign in to follow this  
Loving Neneng

How long can I stay when returning to Philippines with my wife?

10 posts in this topic

Hello, I currently have a visa that allows me to stay in the Philippines 59 days as many times a year as I want. I think I heard somewhere that when you go into the Philippines with your Filipina wife you can stay very long time without a special visa? Is this true and does anyone here have information regarding this and how you do it? Thanks

Hello, I currently have a visa that allows me to stay in the Philippines 59 days as many times a year as I want. I think I heard somewhere that when you go into the Philippines with your Filipina wife you can stay very long time without a special visa? Is this true and does anyone here have information regarding this and how you do it? Thanks

Sometimes if you arrive with your wife they will give you a Balikbayan visa that allows you to stay one year. You are not really entitled to that visa as you are not a Balikbayan but sometimes they will give you one anyway.

IMMIGRATION POLICIES ON VISITING AND RETURNING OVERSEAS FILIPINOS:

TEMPORARY VISITOR

Under RA 6768, a former Filipino citizen and his/her spouse and children traveling with him/her are entitled to visa-free entry to the Philippines for a period of one (1) year. Extensions may be requested at the Bureaue of Immigration (BI).

PERMANENT RESIDENT (NON-QUOTA IMMIGRANT)

Aliens Married to Philippine Citizens

A non-quota immigrant visa under Section 13(a) may be issued to alien spouses who are married to Philippine citizens, upon presentation of proof that the parties contracted a valied marriage.

In case of an alien married to a Philippine citizen, the Philippine citizenship should be maintained by the latter for the non-quota immigrant to be valid under Sec 13(a) of the Philippine Immigration Act (PIA).

In the event that the Filipino loses his/her citizenship, he/she can apply for the downgrading of his/her dependents' 13(a) visa to temporary visitor's visa under Section 9(a) and thereafter, apply for a non-quota immigrant visa under Section 13(g) for himself/herself, his/her spouse, and their unmarried minor children below 18 years old.

Sometimes if you arrive with your wife they will give you a Balikbayan visa that allows you to stay one year. You are not really entitled to that visa as you are not a Balikbayan but sometimes they will give you one anyway.

Yes you are entitled to that visa as the spouse of a Balikbayan. It's the law.

For the record can you tell me where I can read that?

http://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra..._6768_1989.html

http://www.philippineconsulate-sf.org/consular_visa.htm#5

Edited by john_and_marlene

You can stay longer. Just go to an immigration office and get an extension. I think it costs about $40 to $60 but can't remember. I had a friend that did that for over four years and once a year he had to leave for a day. I think that requirement might even be old hat now.

For the record can you tell me where I can read that?

http://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra..._6768_1989.html

http://www.philippineconsulate-sf.org/consular_visa.htm#5

Hello, just read all the posts and read the information in the two links and I think if I read it correctly you can only get the Balikbayan visa if your wife has been out of the country for at least one year? I will be in the Philippines next month and will bring my wife home the end of March and the plan at this time is to visit the Philippines every February and March and maybe even extend that stay to a three month period of time. So from March 31st 2009 to say February 2010 would only be 10 months so I could not get the Balikbayan visa? Anyone have thoughts about this part?

Section 2. Definition of Terms. - For purposes of this Act:

(a) The term "balikbayan" shall mean a Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least one (1) year, a Filipino overseas worker, or a former Filipino citizen and his family, as this term is defined hereunder, who had been naturalized in a foreign country and comes or returns to the Philippines; and

F23    0

True. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Back to Top ↑

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Try asking our VJ Immigration Lawyers.