21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all,

My lawyer just e-mailed me this morning to let me know that we have been scheduled for a second interview in Baltimore, MD. The notice address was for my old address, which is probably where they mailed it. It's really strange as I have been receiving all USCIS notifications to my new address so I am not sure why they decided to go with the previous address on this one.

My wife and I were both expecting this interview since we both felt the first one didn't go well at all.

I have a few questions: It's stipulating to ask for Officer Z, is this going to be the same officer that interviewed us the first time?

We have the same proofs we had the first time (which I believe is more than enough), are these even required or is this going to be strictly a separated questionnaire interview?

Thanks all.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It does not matter what you believe as to the adequacy of the "proof", as tht determination is up to the USCIS.

A second AOS interview is commonly referred to as a "Stokes" interview. Not something to take lightly.

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Bolivia
Timeline

so.. What happened in the first Interview? Did they tell u that u would have to go for another Interview?... What do they whant from u now.... Oh Gosh... Hopefully We'll not have to go through the same... It is so hard to walk around with our baby in this horrible weather :(

It does not matter what you believe as to the adequacy of the "proof", as tht determination is up to the USCIS.

A second AOS interview is commonly referred to as a "Stokes" interview. Not something to take lightly.

I never mentioned that I was taking this lightly and I am not sure you responded to any of my questions.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

maybe not directly but try googling "Stokes interview"

here is one link

http://www.usimmigrationnewspaper.com/inde...view&id=136

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

I really hope this comes across the right way, but if they are asking you for another interview then obviously there was something the IO felt was missing and/or inadaquate.

If I were you I would bring a lot more than what you brought last time (it was obviously not enough to convince the IO), its not what you think is enough evidence!

Good Luck! The stokes is a serious interview, there won't be another. Its deportation after that!

AOS

APRIL 24 2008 - Filed AOS Packet APRIL 28 2008 - Package received and signed for by CHYBA

MAY 6 2008 ( Day 1) - Notice USCIS received MAY 10 2008 (Day 4) -Rec'd all 4 NOA's & Status of all 4 online

MAY 12 2008 (Day 6) - Received Biometrics letter MAY 14 2008 (Day 8) - Biometrics done early.

OCTOBER 22 2008 (DAY 170)- I-765:Card Production Ordered/I-131: Approval notice sent

OCTOBER 27 2008 (Day 175)- AP Received

OCTOBER 30 2008 (Day 178)- EAD Approval Notice Sent OCTOBER 31 2008 (Day 179)- EAD Received

NOVEMBER 4 2008- Applied for SSN / NOVEMBER 24 2008- SSN Received

JANUARY 15 2009- INTERVIEW-APPROVED!!

JANUARY 31 2009- GC RECEIVED_No more USCIS for 10 Months[/color]

ROC

October 27- I-751 Sent

October 30- I-751 Received

April 10-10 YR GC Received

Many immigrants have walked into this second interview unprepared and ignorant of the consequences of failure. The Stokes interview is not an interview to be attended without proper guidance. The only thing I can liken attending the interview unprepared with is an attempt to commit suicide. Success or failure at such an interview determines your future in the United States.

At the stokes or fraud interview, you and your spouse will be questioned separately. You will be asked the same questions. It is expected that all the answers must be the same before you could be certified as passed. On the average, you will be asked about 120 questions. I have attended one in which my clients were asked 232 questions. Surprisingly, we passed the test.

An adverse decision at the second interview is a determination that your marriage is fraudulent which means that the examiner has concluded that you entered into the marriage solely for the purpose of obtaining immigration benefits or evading immigration laws.

A denial at the stokes interview is tantamount to issuance of a death penalty. The recipient of such has no hope of obtaining permanent residence status for life in the United States. Once a denial order is issued every subsequent petition filed by such beneficiary or on his/her behalf will be summarily denied. Such application could be through employer, brother or sister, another spouse or D.V. program. There seems to be no exception to this strict rule.

AOS

APRIL 24 2008 - Filed AOS Packet APRIL 28 2008 - Package received and signed for by CHYBA

MAY 6 2008 ( Day 1) - Notice USCIS received MAY 10 2008 (Day 4) -Rec'd all 4 NOA's & Status of all 4 online

MAY 12 2008 (Day 6) - Received Biometrics letter MAY 14 2008 (Day 8) - Biometrics done early.

OCTOBER 22 2008 (DAY 170)- I-765:Card Production Ordered/I-131: Approval notice sent

OCTOBER 27 2008 (Day 175)- AP Received

OCTOBER 30 2008 (Day 178)- EAD Approval Notice Sent OCTOBER 31 2008 (Day 179)- EAD Received

NOVEMBER 4 2008- Applied for SSN / NOVEMBER 24 2008- SSN Received

JANUARY 15 2009- INTERVIEW-APPROVED!!

JANUARY 31 2009- GC RECEIVED_No more USCIS for 10 Months[/color]

ROC

October 27- I-751 Sent

October 30- I-751 Received

April 10-10 YR GC Received

I really hope this comes across the right way, but if they are asking you for another interview then obviously there was something the IO felt was missing and/or inadaquate.

If I were you I would bring a lot more than what you brought last time (it was obviously not enough to convince the IO), its not what you think is enough evidence!

Good Luck! The stokes is a serious interview, there won't be another. Its deportation after that!

It came across just fine, your comment makes sense but here is the story of my first interview experience that I posted here in December so you can understand our situation:

Unfortunately today, I believe I failed my AOS interview that was based on marriage to a USC. I got married to a USC in 2005 after having overstayed my student visa for 3 years. After we got married in 2005, we were very happy for about 6 months and the relationship got rocky. At that time, we didn't make any efforts to have any joint assets to prove our bonafide marriage. We separated for 2 years but never divorced. I told a common friend that I was planning on asking my wife for a divorce and he committed to helping us out with our failed marriage. We worked things out in the beginning of this year and renewed our vows. This time, the relationship has been going great and once we got back together, I told my wife that we needed to start gathering documents to prove our bonafide marriage for when we decide to file for AOS. So we opened a bank account together in March, have an investment property, car insurance, credit cards, bills.. We filed for the AOS and were granted an interview today.

Everything was going well till the IO started asking us for proof of our bonafide marriage. When we presented the documents to him, he stated that all the proofs that we submitted was between March and December of this year and he wanted to see proof from when we first got married in 2005. We told him that we didn't have any and that we separated for 2 years and that's when his behavior totally changed in a negative way obviously. He knew our lawyer very well, which reduced his anger a bit.

At the end, he took my I-93, gave back my passport and EAD (which I believe is a bad sign) and said that's all I have for you guys, "have a nice day".

I am really saddened that this happened and I am sitting here wondering what the next step will be. He didn't seem to doubt the validity of our marriage and that didn't seem to be his issue, he had issues wit the separations and the facts that we had no documents together when we first got married in 2005.

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Go back and think of what additional evidence you can provide -- joint lease, photos, written affidavits from friends/family that verify the strength of your marriage, etc. etc. Hard to read your prior post.

The Stokes interviews are tough on couples who may not pay that much attention to each other's habits. Perhaps you won't need to endure that.

Just remember, THEY are in charge and will be on the lookout for any evidence that you two aren't serious, that you resent USCIS for asking, that you feel that you have a right to the green card.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello, if you want to become aware with some questions that might be asked for your 2nd interview..just search " stokes interview" in this forum. You might find it helpful. Good luck!

"Have faith in God, Jesus answered. I'll tell you the truth. if anyone says to this mountain, Go, throw yourself to the sea, and that does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen. it will be done for him. Therefore I'll tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" (MARK 11:22-24)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Definitely something just did not add up very well during your first interview or with the evidence you submitted.

So at "stokes" you are first asked to raise your hands to swear to tell the truth about your case. Then you and your

spouse are interviewed separately. Usually you're asked about 100 questions about everything and anything about

your relationship. You should be able to answer about 80 right. Any discrepancies is interpreted as lying under oath.

The consequencies of failing the "stokes" is not very pretty for the beneficiary. Sit down with the beneficiary and go over everything, starting with the information you provided when you filed for AOS to the questions you answered in the first interview.

People have come out of "stokes" successful and I wish you the best. With God nothing shall be impossible. God bless you.

[center][/center]Citizenship Journey

04/16/12: Package sent to TX LOckbox

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

honestly dude........ i dont even know why ur so surprised to be going though this.. after what u said that u wanted to divorce your wife and stuff....

not to be negative here.. but everybody makes their own choices...

"for every action there's consequences my friend"

Love timeline!

08-11-06.........Met my love at my friend's party... got my eyes on her :)

10-20-06.........I finally make you mine!!

01-16-08.........Civil Wedding!! .. :))!! Officially married

AOS

11-07-08 ....... Sent AOS package to Chicago

11-11-08.........Packet delivered Yay!! (day 1)

11-20-08.........Money order's cashed!! (day 9)

11-26-08.........NOA'S in the mail dated for the 18th of November (day 15)

12-09-08.........Biometrics done! (day 28)

12-10-08.........I-765, I-485 touched! (day 29)

01-15-08.........EAD card production ordered! AP notice approval sent ! (day 65)

02-24-09.........Interview @ 12:00 pm !! (day 105)

9377.gif

Read that article that was linked to in here...pretty scary stuff!

K-1 Visa:

I-129F Sent : 2007-12-13

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-12-19

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-05-02

NVC Received : 2008-05-20

NVC Left : 2008-05-22

Packet 4 Received : 2008-07-28

Interview Date : 2008-08-26

Visa Received : 2008-08-27

US Entry : 2008-08-27

Marriage : 2008-09-04 Yaay!

AOS/EAD Process:

Package Sent: 2008-11-21

Package Received: 2008-11-24

NOA's Notice Date: 2008-12-04 (Day 1)

Cheque Cashed: 2008-12-05 (Day 2)

NOA's Received: 2008-12-08 (Day 5)

Touched: 2008-12-09 (Day 6)

Biometrics Appt: 2009-01-05 Done! (Day 33)

Touched: 2009-01-06 (Day 34)

EAD Approved (Online) 2009-02-02 (Day 61) Card Production Ordered

EAD Touched: 2009-02-03

Interview Letter Received: 2009-02-07

EAD Card Received: 2009-02-12

GC Interview: 2009-03-19 He said we were approved! Got the I-551 stamp in my passport.

Welcome Notice Received, Card Production Ordered: 2009-03-25

Received my GC in the mail: 2009-04-03

Removal of Conditions i-751

Application Sent: 2011-2-28

Biometrics: 2011-3-23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi Utilityman,

I read your post in December too and honestly was not too astonished about the reaction of the IO.

It could be interpreted as very well planned, so you need to proof that your marriage is based on love and respect.

There will be questions about why you did not get joint stuff after your marriage in 2005, about the rocky road, ...

So you need to sit down with your wife and go over what happened, so each of you are telling the same!

Do you have pictures from your wedding in 2005? Can you get some joint information from 2005? Letters to you at the same address as your wife? Even if they are not joint bills, bills to you, to your wife at the same address.

Get a statement from your friend who helped through the rocky road.

Bring pictures from your vow renewal.

Prepare very carefully for this interview, you need to know about your wife's habits, her family, etc. She needs to know about yours.

Wishing you luck, keep us posted.

Sib

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline
Read that article that was linked to in here...pretty scary stuff!

it is, but only those that really have very questionable circumstances should be worried

03/01/2007 - POE - JFK (L-1 Visa)

01/15/2008 - Proposed

03/15/2008 - Married

09/02/2008 - Sent AOS Package (I-130, I-485, I-693)

09/03/2008 - Received - Signed by SMITH

09/04/2008 - Checks deposited

09/10/2008 - Checks cleared ($1010 + $355)

09/12/2008 - 2 NOA's received (I-130, I-485) - Dated 09/08/08

09/16/2008 - Received notice for biometrics appointment on 09/30/2008

09/20/2008 - Biometrics done - Walk in (Orlando) Took 10 minutes

09/22/2008 - I-485 viewable online (pending, of course)

09/30/2008 - Biometrics Appointment (2pm)

12/30/2008 - Received Interview Letter

02/25/2008 - Interview

03/06/2008 - Welcome Letter received (the website will clearly never send me updates!)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.