Madwoman

Nairobi Embassy Thread!

1,841 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

I am so glad you started this thread Madwoman, it was a good idea.

For those of you that had already been through Nairobi, I would love to know some (or all, but trying to not be too greedy) of the questions the interviewer asked you. I did read on someone's profile that they were asked SO father's middle name and the city the SO was born in....my SO and I had not talked about either of those things. So it would be nice to know if there is anything else I am overlooking.

I am planning on going to the interview with my CO, praying it is soon, cus I can’t wait to see him again.

We really want to get married the last week of April so I hope we can actually make that happen. I haven’t reserved anything yet; just because I know we can’t be assured he will be here by then. But, all this new info about not waiting for packet ¾ and just going to the embassy to pick it up gives me LOTS of hope!!

I have bought my dress, and have my table decorations, and my invitations, all just waiting around so I can throw together a wedding as quick as I can.

I haven’t seen really anyone on here from Kenya on AP, but I did have a Rwandese friend, who went through Kenya be put on AP. I think they have to do extra security checks with Rwandese because of 1994. Hopefully none of us will be place on AP though.

Okay sorry for the super long post, I am board at work today ;-)

Timeline

Glad to hear that things are coming together and you will be reunited pretty soon. And I can not believe you have not received the NOA2 yet! WOW!!!! But it sounds like you are handling things VERY well.

As for our kwangula, I paid: 10 cows, 10 goats, and 10 chickens. We also had some other things to buy like a suit and dress for her aunt and uncle. We paid for the transport of the family committee from Gulu and Attiak to Kampala. Then we had the traditional sugar, kerosene, matches, tobaccoo.

The best part was the fines we had to pay. It was quite the experience and had both sides of the negotiation comittees laughing. We had to pay a fine because my best man (my best friend that I grew-up with and have known for 25 years) left his shoes on when walking into her families house. We had to pay because we sat int he empty chairs her family had set out. We should have sat on the floor. We also paid a fine to have the ceremony in English.

We also had to bribe her uncles and brothers to bring my wife from where ever she was hidden in the house. First they brought out three younger girls and asked if she was amongst them. We said no, they responded that was all the daughters they had. So we paid a little money and then three more mature women came out. They asked which one of these daughters we came for and we responded she was not amongst those women. They again said that was all the daughters they had in the house and why can we not find the daughter we came for.... don't we know her. So we paid a little more money and then she came out all happy. The actual negotiations lasted for about an hour.

We had about 200 people there total for the dance and dinner after words. So it was really the first time I got to meet ALL her family and the tribal elders. Luckily I had 12 friends plus my mom, sister, neice, and aunt fly from the US over there with my wife and I for the wedding, kwangula and all the other stuff we planned like the safari and fishing on Lake Victoria. We did the kwangula at the start of our trip. We had our church wedding the week after and the regular reception after that at Serena Munyonyo.

Now you know basically everything we did for our wedding. It was a blast from when we landed to when we had to leave. All my friends and family said it was a trip of a lifetime. So that made me feel a lot better after asking them to spend so much money to go.

Take care and thanks again for starting the thread.

Timeline
Glad to hear that things are coming together and you will be reunited pretty soon. And I can not believe you have not received the NOA2 yet! WOW!!!! But it sounds like you are handling things VERY well.

As for our kwangula, I paid: 10 cows, 10 goats, and 10 chickens. We also had some other things to buy like a suit and dress for her aunt and uncle. We paid for the transport of the family committee from Gulu and Attiak to Kampala. Then we had the traditional sugar, kerosene, matches, tobaccoo.

The best part was the fines we had to pay. It was quite the experience and had both sides of the negotiation comittees laughing. We had to pay a fine because my best man (my best friend that I grew-up with and have known for 25 years) left his shoes on when walking into her families house. We had to pay because we sat int he empty chairs her family had set out. We should have sat on the floor. We also paid a fine to have the ceremony in English.

We also had to bribe her uncles and brothers to bring my wife from where ever she was hidden in the house. First they brought out three younger girls and asked if she was amongst them. We said no, they responded that was all the daughters they had. So we paid a little money and then three more mature women came out. They asked which one of these daughters we came for and we responded she was not amongst those women. They again said that was all the daughters they had in the house and why can we not find the daughter we came for.... don't we know her. So we paid a little more money and then she came out all happy. The actual negotiations lasted for about an hour.

We had about 200 people there total for the dance and dinner after words. So it was really the first time I got to meet ALL her family and the tribal elders. Luckily I had 12 friends plus my mom, sister, neice, and aunt fly from the US over there with my wife and I for the wedding, kwangula and all the other stuff we planned like the safari and fishing on Lake Victoria. We did the kwangula at the start of our trip. We had our church wedding the week after and the regular reception after that at Serena Munyonyo.

Now you know basically everything we did for our wedding. It was a blast from when we landed to when we had to leave. All my friends and family said it was a trip of a lifetime. So that made me feel a lot better after asking them to spend so much money to go.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Reading your description of the kwangula had me smiling! Ah yes....I have been to a few kwangula's of friends and one negotiation meeting, and it was a blast--it really is a communal event. We want to have some sort of ceremony in his village in Masindi (he's originally from Arua, but his family moved south looking for work)--but I'm not sure if it will be super traditional as my family wouldn't really know what to do with all those cows and chickens :whistle: We might just have a huge feast for everyone with dancing and music. We still have some time to figure it out!

Take care, and thanks for stopping by. I'll keep you updated as things progress :thumbs:

This is to those who have already completed the medical exam (Naraj, ARK...)

How much did the medical exam and vaccinations COST?

I can't find information on this anywhere. Thanks for your help! :thumbs:

-K-1-

Apr 24th, 2008 - Proposal!!!

Jun 20th, 2008 - I-129F petition sent to VSC

Jun 24th, 2008 - NOA 1 Sent

Jul 10th, 2008 - Touched

Nov 12th, 2008 - APPROVED!!!! YEEEAAAH!!

Nov 14th, 2008 - NVC received petition

Nov 18th, 2008 - Petition leaves NVC

Nov 24th, 2008 - Petition arrives at Nairobi Embassy

Dec 23rd, 2008 - Medical Exam

Jan 7th, 2009 - Interview in Nairobi-- APPROVED!!! Visa in hand same day!

Feb 21st, 2009 - POE, Logan Airport Boston, USA -- forgot to give my fiance his I-94 # (!) Had to go back and get it when we realized

Mar 28th, 2009 - Wedding!

-AOS-

April 27th, 2009 - Mailed AOS & EAD

April 29th, 2009 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

May 5th, 2009 - NOA for AOS & EAD

May 30th, 2009 - Completed Biometrics at Boston Office

June 3rd, 2009 - EAD card production ordered

June 10th, 2009 - EAD arrived in mail

July 10th, 2009 - Touched

August 8th, 2009 - RFE = requesting a new I-693

August 21st, 2009 - Completed new medical

August 22nd, 2009 - Mailed RFE priority

August 26th, 2009 - CRIS e-mail: AOS approved!

Sept 3rd, 2009 - Conditional green card arrived in mail!

-ROC-

May 16th, 2011 - Applied to lift conditions at VSC

May 31st, 2011 - NOA, residence status extended for one year

Aug 16th, 2011 - Biometrics

Jan 4th, 2012 - Approved! Card is in the mail :)

Timeline

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Reading your description of the kwangula had me smiling! Ah yes....I have been to a few kwangula's of friends and one negotiation meeting, and it was a blast--it really is a communal event. We want to have some sort of ceremony in his village in Masindi (he's originally from Arua, but his family moved south looking for work)--but I'm not sure if it will be super traditional as my family wouldn't really know what to do with all those cows and chickens :whistle: We might just have a huge feast for everyone with dancing and music. We still have some time to figure it out!

Take care, and thanks for stopping by. I'll keep you updated as things progress :thumbs:

Sounds like a plan. Hard to tell its a slow day at work. I am just sitting on conference calls for the next 2 hours.

So I figure I might as well try and learn how to post on here so that it shows the message I am responding to. I managed to mess up my previous post.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Burundi
Timeline

Hello.....can you tell us what is included in Packet 3 & 4?

Sure. There is no packet 4 for K-1 visas as far as I know.

In packet 3, there are nothing but blank copies of the forms you should have already filled out (DS-156, DS-156K, DS-157, DS-230 part 1, DS-230 part 2, I-134), as well some basic instructions about paying the visa fee, finding a panel physician, and making visa photos.

The only thing I needed out of the packet that I didn't already have was the medical forms. That's really the only reason you should need the packet. You just take them to the panel physician at the time of your exam.

Nothing else :)

Timeline

From Naraj's post, it appears that the only thing in the "packet" are the forms for the Medical Exam. Everything else you can find the forms for off of the internet. Is this right? Then instead of mailing it back, you just show up with all the forms on your interview day. It also appears that you can schedule an interview date and medical exam BEFORE you get the packet, and arrange to pick up the packet, go to the medical and then the interview, all in one visit.

This would be FANTASTIC, since many of our SO's are not from Kenya and it is a big pain to travel back and forth to Nairobi.

I have heard that the main problems with the Nairobi Embassy are:

1) Problems with receiving the packet, causing delays

2) Problems with doctors (they say they accept appointments over the phone and then make you wait when you arrive)

According to Naraj's experience, it appears the best thing to do is to pick up the packet yourself from the Embassy and make sure you choose your doctor wisely (Naraj had good results with Dr Asuga)

Sorry if I am taking words out of your mouth Naraj, just trying to break it down for others :star:

This is very helpful information, since I think I would have wasted time waiting around for the packet instead of calling the Embassy and picking it up ourself.

Welcome everyone to the East African thread!!! I am so glad--I have communicated with many of you through messages, and then I thought--why not share this information? :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

You explained it perfectly! Everything you said is correct :)

Timeline

Everything was paid in shillings, and I can't remember exactly, but in US dollars, the exam was around $105, and it was around $100 more, in all, for the 3 vaccinations she received. On the phone, they said it would be about $245 for the 6 or so vaccinations she needed, on top of the exam fee, but I guess there was some miscommunication, because it turned out that she didn't need but 3 shots.

By the way, I figured the vaccinations would probably be more expensive in Nairobi anyway, so I disobeyed the embassy website's advice and had her receive every recommended vaccine that was available in her country before leaving for Nairobi.

Timeline

Thanks Naraj :star:

And how much did you have to pay for the Medical Exam and vaccinations?

-K-1-

Jul 10th, 2008 - Touched

Feb 21st, 2009 - POE, Logan Airport Boston, USA -- forgot to give my fiance his I-94 # (!) Had to go back and get it when we realized

-AOS-

-ROC-

Timeline

Everything was paid in shillings, and I can't remember exactly, but in US dollars, the exam was around $105, and it was around $100 more, in all, for the 3 vaccinations she received. On the phone, they said it would be about $245 for the 6 or so vaccinations she needed, on top of the exam fee, but I guess there was some miscommunication, because it turned out that she didn't need but 3 shots.

By the way, I figured the vaccinations would probably be more expensive in Nairobi anyway, so I disobeyed the embassy website's advice and had her receive every recommended vaccine that was available in her country before leaving for Nairobi.

Oops! I didn't see this post! I must have sent my post when you were replying to mine--sorry!! :blush:

-K-1-

Jul 10th, 2008 - Touched

-AOS-

-ROC-

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

I concur, my fiance hasn't had his medical exam yet but was told it would be about $250 paid in shillings

October 9, 2007 Applied for I-129F

October 22, 2007 NOA 1

March 6, 2008 NOA 2

January 6, 2009 Interview

January 16, 2009 Picked up visa

February 26, 2009 US Entry

May 11, 2009 Married

Timeline

Naraj,

I am dying to know how your fiancee's interview went!!! I hope it went well!!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

-K-1-

Jul 10th, 2008 - Touched

-AOS-

-ROC-

Timeline
Naraj,

I am dying to know how your fiancee's interview went!!! I hope it went well!!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Thanks, but no such luck. Because Kenya suddenly declared Thursday (her original interview date) a holiday, they told her to come back today for her interview, BUT when she went back today, instead of interviewing her, they just rescheduled her interview until Monday. Oh well. I've waited this long, so I guess 2 more days won't kill me...

Timeline
Naraj,

Thanks, but no such luck. Because Kenya suddenly declared Thursday (her original interview date) a holiday, they told her to come back today for her interview, BUT when she went back today, instead of interviewing her, they just rescheduled her interview until Monday. Oh well. I've waited this long, so I guess 2 more days won't kill me...

Oh, so lame... <_< Kenya probably wanted to stretch the holiday out :whistle:

Good luck on Monday!!! You're so close! :thumbs:

-K-1-

Jul 10th, 2008 - Touched

-AOS-

-ROC-

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.