Madwoman

Nairobi Embassy Thread!

1,841 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Ok, so I am starting a Nairobi Embassy thread, since there doesn't seem to be one yet, and there is minimal info about the embassy itself (VJ doesn't even include it in the list of consulates, so it's not searchable in the database...)

Here is the info so far (anyone with additional info, please update!)

Nairobi Embassy info here: http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/inde...airobi,%20Kenya

Nairobi Embassy Reviews: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Kenya

Let's use this thread as a place to share stories and information! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

My fiance is from Uganda and will be going to Nairobi for his medical and interview. So far, we are still waiting for our NOA2...

What about you? Where is your fiance/e from and how did you meet him or her?

Edited by Madwoman

-K-1-

Apr 24th, 2008 - Proposal!!!

Jun 20th, 2008 - I-129F petition sent to VSC

Jun 24th, 2008 - NOA 1 Sent

Jul 10th, 2008 - Touched

Nov 12th, 2008 - APPROVED!!!! YEEEAAAH!!

Nov 14th, 2008 - NVC received petition

Nov 18th, 2008 - Petition leaves NVC

Nov 24th, 2008 - Petition arrives at Nairobi Embassy

Dec 23rd, 2008 - Medical Exam

Jan 7th, 2009 - Interview in Nairobi-- APPROVED!!! Visa in hand same day!

Feb 21st, 2009 - POE, Logan Airport Boston, USA -- forgot to give my fiance his I-94 # (!) Had to go back and get it when we realized

Mar 28th, 2009 - Wedding!

-AOS-

April 27th, 2009 - Mailed AOS & EAD

April 29th, 2009 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

May 5th, 2009 - NOA for AOS & EAD

May 30th, 2009 - Completed Biometrics at Boston Office

June 3rd, 2009 - EAD card production ordered

June 10th, 2009 - EAD arrived in mail

July 10th, 2009 - Touched

August 8th, 2009 - RFE = requesting a new I-693

August 21st, 2009 - Completed new medical

August 22nd, 2009 - Mailed RFE priority

August 26th, 2009 - CRIS e-mail: AOS approved!

Sept 3rd, 2009 - Conditional green card arrived in mail!

-ROC-

May 16th, 2011 - Applied to lift conditions at VSC

May 31st, 2011 - NOA, residence status extended for one year

Aug 16th, 2011 - Biometrics

Jan 4th, 2012 - Approved! Card is in the mail :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Burundi
Timeline
Ok, so I am starting a Nairobi Embassy thread, since there doesn't seem to be one yet, and there is minimal info about the embassy itself (VJ doesn't even include it in the list of consulates, so it's not searchable in the database...)

Nairobi Embassy info here: http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/inde...airobi,%20Kenya

Nairobi Embassy Reviews: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Kenya

Let's use this thread as a place to share stories and information! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

My fiance is from Uganda and will be going to Nairobi for his medical and interview. So far, we are still waiting for our NOA2...

What's up Madwoman,

I tried to create a timeline, but there was no option to choose the Nairobi embassy, or my fiancee's country, so I gave up. Here's a short summary, though:

May 22nd: I-129 Received by Vermont Service Center.

September 10th?: 2nd NOA received by me.

September 21st?: Case forwarded to Nairobi.

September 27th?: Nairobi embassy received paperwork.

September 29th?: Embassy packet mailed by Nairobi embassy.

October 21st: Got tired of waiting for lost packet, made doctor and embassy interview appointments.

October 24th: Sent fiancee to Kenya to pick up packet in person.

October 28th: Fiancee picked up embassy packet in Nairobi.

October 30th: Medical exam.

November 5th: Vaccinations and medical results scheduled to be received by fiancee.

November 6th: Embassy interview appointment.

November 7th: Date visa would be picked up.

If you notice, the last 3 things on my list are in future tense, so wish us luck!

Looks like you're running about 6 weeks behind us, Madwoman, so I'd guess your fiance's interview will be around mid-December. Probably earlier, if you don't have any hang-ups, and you don't wait around for the embassy packet to show up in the mail (because it probably never will). Good luck!

Timeline

Hi everyone! Naraj has kindly permitted me to post a recent e-mail from him about his Nairobi experience. Thanks Naraj! I has similar frustrations as you with my timeline, but I just put Tanzania as the consulate (since I figured it was the closest...).

Is your fiance from Burundi? I just checked and they do have that as an option for the beneficiaries country. But still no Nairobi Consulate :angry:

Anyway, I think people want you to update your timeline because it will then show up when you get approved--and people love to see approvals, and get a sense of the process you went through. It also contributes to the stats that VJ uses to calculate estimated processing times :thumbs:

I always check out this link to check on the latest K-1 approvals (all based on VJ timelines of course): HERE IT IS

Naraj's post to follow....

Many thanks to Naraj....

Here is his e-mail concerning the Nairobi Embassy:

1. We prepared EVERYTHING in advance, but the embassy packet got lost in the mail, so since I was so sure we had everything we needed, I sent my fiancee to Kenya to pick up the packet in person. No appointment needed to pick up the packet, she just showed them the second NOA letter to get through security.

2. I had already set up her doctor appointment for the day after that with Dr. Asuga. She's the only female doctor, so I'm not sure if she would be the best choice for your fiance. She was very trouble-free, though. Only needed a few days' notice for the appointment (booked it by phone), and she was pretty lenient on the exam. 1 visit for the exam, and 1 visit for the vaccinations and results.

3. They advise 7 - 10 days to get the results, but it's really about 4 (because of the blood work). She goes back tomorrow for the vaccinations. I'm not sure how she will receive the results yet, but Dr. Asuga's secretary told me they were fine, by phone, yesterday.

4. Pretty easy. Just call the main #, I think it's 254-20-363-6000, press 0 for the operator, and ask for someone in the visa department. You might have to call back and have the operator try 2 or 3 different extensions before they answer, but I've never not been able to contact them. Don't call the visa department directly. They NEVER answer that #. Just call the embassy before 4:10pm or so (they close at 4:30pm).

5. Piece of cake so far, as long as your documents are in order. The embassy makes appointments for interviews by phone, as long as you tell them your documents are ready, and you tell them you already have a doctor's appointment. You can get an interview within around a week of calling for the appointment. They also said that if she passes her interview, since she's from another country, they will try to cut down the approximate 2 day waiting period (for the mandatory security check) to come back and pick up the visa, down to 1 day, if possible. They don't mail visas, because the mail service in Africa sucks, so you have to come back to pick it up.

That's everything important that I can think of, but if you have any other questions, let me know. Oh, the hotels in central Nairobi are only $5 - $10 per day, so even if he has to stay in Nairobi for 2 weeks, like my fiancee, he won't have to pay too much for a hotel. Wish me luck, her interview is this Thursday, so hopefully I won't be eating my words. We'll see...

-K-1-

Jul 10th, 2008 - Touched

Feb 21st, 2009 - POE, Logan Airport Boston, USA -- forgot to give my fiance his I-94 # (!) Had to go back and get it when we realized

-AOS-

-ROC-

Timeline

What's up Madwoman,

I tried to create a timeline, but there was no option to choose the Nairobi embassy, or my fiancee's country, so I gave up. Here's a short summary, though:

October 21st: Got tired of waiting for lost packet, made doctor and embassy interview appointments.

November 5th: Vaccinations and medical results scheduled to be received by fiancee.

If you notice, the last 3 things on my list are in future tense, so wish us luck!

Looks like you're running about 6 weeks behind us, Madwoman, so I'd guess your fiance's interview will be around mid-December. Probably earlier, if you don't have any hang-ups, and you don't wait around for the embassy packet to show up in the mail (because it probably never will). Good luck!

Thanks so much! Wow--it looks like you speeded through the process! This brings me so much hope, you don't even know! I have seen some people wait MONTHS to get an interview...so your advice about not waiting around for the packet is a good one. I haven't seen anyone from Burundi here on VJ before, how did you two meet?

One more quick question--Have you sent documents to the Embassy yet or will you bring them to the interview? I was surprised that you were able to make an interview date before sending the packet back. I have heard that the documents the Embassy requires are sometimes confusing--what documents exactly have they told you they require?

I feel like I just bombarded you with questions! :blush: Sorry...you can tell I am getting excited to move forward with the process and i want to be prepared as possible. I also haven't been able to contact anyone who is NOT from Kenya but has experience with the Nairobi Consulate. THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of your help! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

-K-1-

Jul 10th, 2008 - Touched

-AOS-

-ROC-

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thought this might help people. My fiance went to the embassy to pick up his packet three and while he was in Nairobi he

talked with one of the doctors and he has to wait for them to call him and tell him when his medical appointment will be, hopefuly they will call in the next week or two. As soon as he is finished with his medical appointment he fills out some forms on line and then he can call the embassy to make his interview appointment. Good luck everyone with their journey

:star:

October 9, 2007 Applied for I-129F

October 22, 2007 NOA 1

March 6, 2008 NOA 2

January 6, 2009 Interview

January 16, 2009 Picked up visa

February 26, 2009 US Entry

May 11, 2009 Married

Timeline
Hi everyone! Naraj has kindly permitted me to post a recent e-mail from him about his Nairobi experience. Thanks Naraj! I has similar frustrations as you with my timeline, but I just put Tanzania as the consulate (since I figured it was the closest...).

Is your fiance from Burundi? I just checked and they do have that as an option for the beneficiaries country. But still no Nairobi Consulate :angry:

Anyway, I think people want you to update your timeline because it will then show up when you get approved--and people love to see approvals, and get a sense of the process you went through. It also contributes to the stats that VJ uses to calculate estimated processing times :thumbs:

I always check out this link to check on the latest K-1 approvals (all based on VJ timelines of course): HERE IT IS

Naraj's post to follow....

Many thanks to Naraj....

Glad you found it helpful. I guess I missed the Burundi option.

Timeline

What's up Madwoman,

Thanks so much! Wow--it looks like you speeded through the process! This brings me so much hope, you don't even know! I have seen some people wait MONTHS to get an interview...so your advice about not waiting around for the packet is a good one. I haven't seen anyone from Burundi here on VJ before, how did you two meet?

One more quick question--Have you sent documents to the Embassy yet or will you bring them to the interview? I was surprised that you were able to make an interview date before sending the packet back. I have heard that the documents the Embassy requires are sometimes confusing--what documents exactly have they told you they require?

I feel like I just bombarded you with questions! :blush: Sorry...you can tell I am getting excited to move forward with the process and i want to be prepared as possible. I also haven't been able to contact anyone who is NOT from Kenya but has experience with the Nairobi Consulate. THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of your help! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

No problem. Stop worrying, I don't think you'll be waiting more than a week or two for the Nairobi Embassy, they're quick. I met my fiancee on the web, but I caught her before she got too westernized, thank goodness.

You have to take the documents with you to the interview, you don't mail them in to Nairobi. You just have to make sure you take the medical forms that are in the packet to the panel physician to fill out (during your exam appointment). There wasn't anything else in the packet that you shouldn't already have prepared. I read the forums here and prepared all of the documents my attorney recommended, and went overkill on it, so I couldn't imagine them possibly asking for anything else. The embassy document recommendations are pretty pitiful in comparison, so as long as you're thorough, there shouldn't be any surprises. She's taking about 5 pounds of documentation with her, so it might take a while to list it all out here, but if you have any specific questions, please ask.

All of my info is absolutely correct and extremely up-to-date as far as I know, so you can trust it. Let me know if you need anything else :)

Timeline
Thought this might help people. My fiance went to the embassy to pick up his packet three and while he was in Nairobi he

talked with one of the doctors and he has to wait for them to call him and tell him when his medical appointment will be, hopefuly they will call in the next week or two. As soon as he is finished with his medical appointment he fills out some forms on line and then he can call the embassy to make his interview appointment. Good luck everyone with their journey

:star:

Thanks for the info. I guess that depends on which doctor you go to.

What online forms? All of his forms should be filled out already, right? (I-134, DS-156, DS-156K, DS-230 part 1, DS-230 part 2) Just curious.

FYI: As soon as you have an idea of when the medical results are coming back, you can go ahead and schedule the interview for a day or two after that. If the bloodwork comes back later than expected, you can always reschedule the embassy interview for about a week later.

I just hope my tips might speed up the process a little. Don't mean to tell you what to do :)

Timeline

Hello All,

I can not offer any advice about going through the Nairobi consulate, but I can offer support. My now wife is orginally from Uganda, but we met while she was living in London so we went through the London embassy. I just wanted to make sure to join the new and wonderful East Africa thread. We are in the process of removing conditions on my wife's 2 year permenant residency card. We also had our religious and traditional tribal wedding in Kampala last June.

On a side note..... I am sorry we lost touch Madwoman. But I am not very good at navigating Visa Journeys messaging system. I had responded to your email and not heard back from you. So I am sure I had messed it up in some way and not sent it correctly. But thank you for starting this thread.

I wish everyone the best in their Visa Journey and can unequivocally say it is ALL worth it in the end.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thanks 4 the tip. I think it is just the ds 156 i saw a link on the embassy web site

What online forms? All of his forms should be filled out already, right? (I-134, DS-156, DS-156K, DS-230 part 1, DS-230 part 2) Just curious.

FYI: As soon as you have an idea of when the medical results are coming back, you can go ahead and schedule the interview for a day or two after that. If the bloodwork comes back later than expected, you can always eschedule the embassy interview for about a week later.

I just hope my tips might speed up the process a little. Don't mean to tell you what to do :)

g

October 9, 2007 Applied for I-129F

October 22, 2007 NOA 1

March 6, 2008 NOA 2

January 6, 2009 Interview

January 16, 2009 Picked up visa

February 26, 2009 US Entry

May 11, 2009 Married

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Rwanda
Timeline

Hello All.....am checking in to this greatly needed thread....thank you Madwoman(I'm back)

My fiance is in Rwanda and will be traveling to Nairobi for his interview...our NOA1 date is 8/13/08......looking forward to learning from everyone as well as offering support.......I found the following information for the Medical Exams.....

MEDICAL EXAMINATIONS FOR IMMIGRANT VISAS

MEDICAL EXAMINATIONS

Medical exams are required for certain types of United States visas. Such medical examinations must be performed by one of the following physicians:

NAIROBI

Dr. O.S. Dogra

Sarit Center - 4th Floor

P.O. Box 40384

Nairobi, Kenya

Tel: 4449592/3

Dr. A. J. Meyerhold

Sarit Center – 4th Floor

P. O. Box 40384

Nairobi, Kenya

Tel: 3745719

Dr. L. M. Asuga

Sarit Center – 4th Floor

P. O. Box 40384

Nairobi, Kenya

Tel: 4449291/2

MOMBASA

Dr. C. B. Patel

City House, Moi Avenue

Mombasa Medical Practice

P. O. Box 80681

Mombasa, Kenya

Tel 041-2222857/8

NO OTHER MEDICAL EXAMINATIONS ARE ACCEPTABLE TO THE U.S. EMBASSY IN NAIROBI

The correct medical examination forms (DS-2053) are available from the U.S. Embassy. The doctor will require two photographs and the Embassy will require three more photographs. Applicants will therefore require a total of five photographs. Completion of the medical and all related tests require at least one week. Be sure to schedule your medical appointment well in advance of your visa interview date.

A blood test for antibody to the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) is required as a part of your medical examination. HIV is the virus that causes the acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS). AIDS is the name given to a group of illnesses that may occur in persons affected with HIV. This defect leaves people vulnerable to serious illnesses that would not usually be a threat to anyone whose immune system is intact. This test does not diagnose AIDS, but detects antibodies to the virus.

The results of your test will be provided to a consular officer. Also, it may be necessary to report results to the health authorities in this country.

A positive test result will mean that you may not be eligible to receive a visa. A positive test result could also have other local consequences on your day-to-day activities in the country.

VACCINATION REQUIREMENTS

United States immigration law requires immigrant visa applicants to obtain certain vaccinations (listed below) prior to the issuance of an immigrant visa. Panel physicians who conduct medical examinations of immigrant visa applicants are required to verify that immigrant visa applicants have met the vaccination requirements, or that it is medically inappropriate for the visa applicant to receive one or more of the listed vaccinations:. Kindly find a full listing on the vaccinations required on the following link: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1331.html

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Rwanda
Timeline

What's up Madwoman,

Hello.....can you tell us what is included in Packet 3 & 4?

Timeline
No problem. Stop worrying, I don't think you'll be waiting more than a week or two for the Nairobi Embassy, they're quick. I met my fiancee on the web, but I caught her before she got too westernized, thank goodness.

You have to take the documents with you to the interview, you don't mail them in to Nairobi. You just have to make sure you take the medical forms that are in the packet to the panel physician to fill out (during your exam appointment). There wasn't anything else in the packet that you shouldn't already have prepared. I read the forums here and prepared all of the documents my attorney recommended, and went overkill on it, so I couldn't imagine them possibly asking for anything else. The embassy document recommendations are pretty pitiful in comparison, so as long as you're thorough, there shouldn't be any surprises. She's taking about 5 pounds of documentation with her, so it might take a while to list it all out here, but if you have any specific questions, please ask.

All of my info is absolutely correct and extremely up-to-date as far as I know, so you can trust it. Let me know if you need anything else :)

From Naraj's post, it appears that the only thing in the "packet" are the forms for the Medical Exam. Everything else you can find the forms for off of the internet. Is this right? Then instead of mailing it back, you just show up with all the forms on your interview day. It also appears that you can schedule an interview date and medical exam BEFORE you get the packet, and arrange to pick up the packet, go to the medical and then the interview, all in one visit.

This would be FANTASTIC, since many of our SO's are not from Kenya and it is a big pain to travel back and forth to Nairobi.

I have heard that the main problems with the Nairobi Embassy are:

1) Problems with receiving the packet, causing delays

2) Problems with doctors (they say they accept appointments over the phone and then make you wait when you arrive)

According to Naraj's experience, it appears the best thing to do is to pick up the packet yourself from the Embassy and make sure you choose your doctor wisely (Naraj had good results with Dr Asuga)

Sorry if I am taking words out of your mouth Naraj, just trying to break it down for others :star:

This is very helpful information, since I think I would have wasted time waiting around for the packet instead of calling the Embassy and picking it up ourself.

Welcome everyone to the East African thread!!! I am so glad--I have communicated with many of you through messages, and then I thought--why not share this information? :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

-K-1-

Jul 10th, 2008 - Touched

-AOS-

-ROC-

Timeline
Hello All,

I can not offer any advice about going through the Nairobi consulate, but I can offer support. My now wife is orginally from Uganda, but we met while she was living in London so we went through the London embassy. I just wanted to make sure to join the new and wonderful East Africa thread. We are in the process of removing conditions on my wife's 2 year permenant residency card. We also had our religious and traditional tribal wedding in Kampala last June.

On a side note..... I am sorry we lost touch Madwoman. But I am not very good at navigating Visa Journeys messaging system. I had responded to your email and not heard back from you. So I am sure I had messed it up in some way and not sent it correctly. But thank you for starting this thread.

I wish everyone the best in their Visa Journey and can unequivocally say it is ALL worth it in the end.

Welcome NimoMN! I'm sorry we lost touch too--actually that was my fault for not responding to your message sooner. I just read it again and you predicted that I would receive our NOA2 in August/September... :crying: Oh well! I'm hoping for some good news this month!

How are you and your SO doing? My latest news is that I have recently left my counseling job to focus on my work with the non-profit that helped me go to Uganda. I am also preparing to present on our work at an upcoming art therapy conference. December 18th I'm returning back to Uganda and I'll be there until Hiller gets his visa. Then we'll come back together!

Truth be told, I couldn't handle the demanding work of an outreach counselor and manage my own psyche during our long distance relationship. The phone is ok, but often it is hard to hear and we get cut off. Oh and when it starts raining on those corrugated roofs...don't get me started :girlwerewolf2xn:

I know that not everyone has the opportunity to take off across the ocean so I feel really grateful for that. When I get back, the agency I worked for offered to hire me back, or I might got more into the non-profit direction. We'll see about the funding! :innocent:

I had a question about your recent Kwangula--how many cows did you give her? :jest: :jest: :jest: I asked that of every boda boda driver who asked for my hand in marriage :lol: I asked Hiller too, and he thought I was serious until I assured him I was not :whistle:

Madelene

-K-1-

Jul 10th, 2008 - Touched

-AOS-

-ROC-

Timeline
Hello All.....am checking in to this greatly needed thread....thank you Madwoman(I'm back)

Yay! Welcome back! :dance: How was your "break"? Was it relaxing?

I assure you, I continue to check the USCIS website obsessively and still...nothing :wacko:

-K-1-

Jul 10th, 2008 - Touched

-AOS-

-ROC-

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.