Ukrainian Customs and engagement ring

43 posts in this topic

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Wow, when we go through Kiev they never even look at me, let alone say anything to me...I guess that I was lucky.

I get hassled every time. There must be a special note in the system somewhere.

Maybe you look so pretty....

Err.... Do you swing both ways dude? I only bat for the straight team. Or maybe you are blind :rofl:

No, but I bet that middle aged man at the customs station was curious the last time you went through ....

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Wow, when we go through Kiev they never even look at me, let alone say anything to me...I guess that I was lucky.

I get hassled every time. There must be a special note in the system somewhere.

Maybe you look so pretty....

Err.... Do you swing both ways dude? I only bat for the straight team. Or maybe you are blind :rofl:

No, but I bet that middle aged man at the customs station was curious the last time you went through ....

OK, maybe just blind. What brings that issue to your mind, anyway? For an allegedly straight guy, you are taking quite an interest here. :whistle:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Uh you do realize that the whole ehgagement ring thing is a western idea right? And that engagement rings are not used or expected in Russia or Ukraine.

Yes, thanks.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Unless the ring looks like the Hope diamond you shouldn't have any problems. I don't think I have ever heard of the customs people bothering someone about their rings.

Good luck with the rest of your journey.

Don't worry about it. She is wearing the ring, correct? They won't ask anything about it. It would be regarded as personal jewelry.

Gary

What if I am bringing a ring to her, through customs? They ask about jewelery specificall every time in Odessa, and I have been told it is because they want to tax the s##t out of any jewelery you bring.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Unless the ring looks like the Hope diamond you shouldn't have any problems. I don't think I have ever heard of the customs people bothering someone about their rings.

Good luck with the rest of your journey.

Don't worry about it. She is wearing the ring, correct? They won't ask anything about it. It would be regarded as personal jewelry.

Gary

What if I am bringing a ring to her, through customs? They ask about jewelery specificall every time in Odessa, and I have been told it is because they want to tax the s##t out of any jewelery you bring.

You shouldn't have any problems with taxation, I carried my fiance's very Bling Bling ring through immigration both here in the US and Brazil and no questions were asked, not even when my carry on was X Ray'd did questions arise. So you'll be Ok

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
You shouldn't have any problems with taxation, I carried my fiance's very Bling Bling ring through immigration both here in the US and Brazil and no questions were asked, not even when my carry on was X Ray'd did questions arise. So you'll be Ok

Be careful posting a "no problem" when giving advice in a region you are not familiar with just because you had no problem in Brazil. Different parts of the world and individual countries have there own laws and procedures.

YMMV

Be careful posting a "no problem" when giving advice in a region you are not familiar with just because you had no problem in Brazil. Different parts of the world and individual countries have there own laws and procedures.

The Ukrainian customs officers specifically ask about jewelery (women's jewelery) every time I go through - on the way in. I was told that if you "fess up" to having bling, they will assess a punitive "tax". I did have some one tell me that he carried a ring through on a chain around his neck. He didn't get wanded though. I have scheduled VIP airport pickup too. Not sure if that helps or not.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You are allowed a gift up to $400 each entry for gifts. If I remember correctly. I also do not know if this is total or per piece. I could be off on this. I just remember when I bought a sh#t load of cosmestics at duty free in Amsterdam. The customs at Boryspil tried to tax me on it. I refused to be taxed on it( I bought it at duty free) and told the nice Ukranian Customs Officer that I would destory it all and trash it. She eventually let me through. If I had taken the duty free bag and zipped it into my luggage instead of hand carrying it, I am sure that I would have saved about 15 minutes of my life. Greedy bastar#s. Just trying to keep the white man down. Never had a problem on the next 5 or 6 trips through Boryspil.

You are allowed a gift up to $400 each entry for gifts. If I remember correctly. I also do not know if this is total or per piece. I could be off on this. I just remember when I bought a sh#t load of cosmestics at duty free in Amsterdam. The customs at Boryspil tried to tax me on it. I refused to be taxed on it( I bought it at duty free) and told the nice Ukranian Customs Officer that I would destory it all and trash it. She eventually let me through. If I had taken the duty free bag and zipped it into my luggage instead of hand carrying it, I am sure that I would have saved about 15 minutes of my life. Greedy bastar#s. Just trying to keep the white man down. Never had a problem on the next 5 or 6 trips through Boryspil.

I also have been told that gold won't set off the walk through detector. Any thoughts? What about wanding?

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Last time I went through Odessa (admitedly three years ago) There was no metal detector or wanding going on for those coming into the country. Heck they don't even have such things in Borisypol. The only thing they did was put my bags through an x-ray machine.

Now if it was me I would have the ring in my carry on and before disembarking the plane in Odessa put it in my pocket. and then follow the green line. If they ask you if you have anything to declare just say "no" I have never seen them pursue it further.

The reason they ask about womens jewlwery is because so many guys go to Odessa. On most flights I've been on there's more foreign guys than Ukrainian. So this why the customs guys/gals are looking for a shake down.

This isd also a good reason to not try to bring western ideas of engagement with you it encourages problems.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.