Shiny123

Temporary I-551 stamp in passport and travel

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am married to a LPR, but we were married before he became a LPR, so my application was for a following-on visa. I had a visa interview in London on 5th August and my passport was stamped with a visa which 'upon endorsement serves as a temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year'. I am planning on going to join my husband in San Francisco in November. My husband's lawyer says that I should be issued my actual Green Card around 3 weeks after I arrive in the USA. How accurate is this?

I need to travel out of the USA for about 2 weeks in December. Am I able to travel using the stamp in my passport or do I have to wait till I get the actual Green Card? I am a bit confused. Please help!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I am married to a LPR, but we were married before he became a LPR, so my application was for a following-on visa. I had a visa interview in London on 5th August and my passport was stamped with a visa which 'upon endorsement serves as a temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year'. I am planning on going to join my husband in San Francisco in November. My husband's lawyer says that I should be issued my actual Green Card around 3 weeks after I arrive in the USA. How accurate is this?

I need to travel out of the USA for about 2 weeks in December. Am I able to travel using the stamp in my passport or do I have to wait till I get the actual Green Card? I am a bit confused. Please help!

The I-551 serves as your temporary greencard until you receive it. Three to four weeks sounds about right... I hope your husband is now a US citizen and not just a legal permanent resident.

YMMV

Timeline

The I-551 serves as your temporary greencard until you receive it. Three to four weeks sounds about right... I hope your husband is now a US citizen and not just a legal permanent resident.

No he's a LPR. He got his Green Card in March. Do I have to be in the States when my card arrives? Can I have it couriered to me? Do I have to have any more interviews etc before getting it?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It is sent via the USPS, so no I do not suspect that you need to be in the states when it is mailed. Since the I-551 stamp serves as your temp greencard, I do not know if I would trust FedX or someone else to deliver it to me internationaly....

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

• 1 month later...
Timeline
It is sent via the USPS, so no I do not suspect that you need to be in the states when it is mailed. Since the I-551 stamp serves as your temp greencard, I do not know if I would trust FedX or someone else to deliver it to me internationaly....

The officer at my POE told me that my I-551 stamp was valid for a year and I could travel (and re-enter the US) on it during this time. My plastic GC is supposed to get to me in 6-8 months! They sent my SSC within 2 weeks of my POE! HURRAY!

• 2 years later...

<!--quoteo(post=2127911:date=Aug 18 2008, 11:00 PM:name=fwaguy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fwaguy @ Aug 18 2008, 11:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2127911"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is sent via the USPS, so no I do not suspect that you need to be in the states when it is mailed. Since the I-551 stamp serves as your temp greencard, I do not know if I would trust FedX or someone else to deliver it to me internationaly....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The officer at my POE told me that my I-551 stamp was valid for a year and I could travel (and re-enter the US) on it during this time. My plastic GC is supposed to get to me in 6-8 months! They sent my SSC within 2 weeks of my POE! HURRAY!

Hello Everyone,

I just read this forum and I also have the same problem. I was out in USA last 3 weeks without my plastic card (green card) but my passport stamp I-551 temporary residents for 1 year is I am using to re enter to United States. But at the same time I also worried that I might have problem in POE for my arrival. I hope not! :-(

We will be coming back USA in few days --Please everyone can make it clear to me If my I-551 stamps is good to use to re entry/

thanks in advance..

Filed: Other Timeline

The Green Card's official name is I-551. Whether a stamp or plastic, an I-551 is an I-551 and allows reentering the US all the same.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

• 1 month later...
Filed: Timeline

Hi everybody!

I have exactly the same situation as the topic starter now, in December 2010.

Could anyone tell me how has it turned out? I would like to buy my ticket to a resort in Mexico, where I'll be after entering with a visa which 'upon endorsement serves as a temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year', and now I'm afraid to press the button "pay" for my tickets :)

Please, ensure me!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.