happy789

Adopting a Child from Jamaica

13 posts in this topic

Hello

Has anyone known of a couple who successfully adopted from Jamaica and would like to share their story with me as I need help with adopting my relative. She is 18 months old and her father is not in her life and her mother can't care for her. We have already submited our I600A and done the home study. The parents have already met with CDA in Jamaica and signed over their rights to the child. I have been told however that the fact her father's name is on the birth certificate and she is not in an orphanage, that she will not be approved. She is living with her auntie as neither of us would want to put her in a children's home in Jamaica. I am Jamaican and my husband is american. If anyone has advise, that would be so much appreciated. We are taking care of her financially and just couldn't bear to know that they might tell us no. Please contact me if you know what I can do.

Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It sounds that there will not be any difficulty adopting her, but if you are asking if that gives her any immigration benefits than my understanding is that the answer is no, she would need to be an orphan.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I am in the process of adopting our orphaned nephew. His mother is dead and no one knows who his father is. We are just at the waiting for CDA approval stage.

It is my understanding, in your case, since the child is not an orphan, you will have to have an adoption order. An adoption order requires 4 months of in home study, with the child living with you first. Here is one of my sources of information....

http://jamaica.adoption.com/foreign/adopti...-factsheet.html

What people are telling you is probably fairly correct until you had this adoption order.

That's my take anyhow.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

That 4 months means you live with the child in Jamaica.

I have a thread started about Jamaican adoptions in the Caribbean thread. If someone wants to merge the two, that would be great.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

It sounds that there will not be any difficulty adopting her, but if you are asking if that gives her any immigration benefits than my understanding is that the answer is no, she would need to be an orphan.

See we thought she qualified under the sole parent category since her father who was just recently added to the birth certificate wants nothing to do with her and claims she is not his and will not spend money to do a DNA test. From what I read it indicates that she is an orphan if the sole parent cannot provide for her. Am I understanding this correctly?

That 4 months means you live with the child in Jamaica.

I have a thread started about Jamaican adoptions in the Caribbean thread. If someone wants to merge the two, that would be great.

Ok. But the CDA is approving us for an adoption license which is different. We will finalize the adoption here in the USA. I am just a little frustrated because I have heard of people who have done it but need to know how they got around not putting the child in an orphange which we absolutely dont want to do. We are caring for her so there is no need for that but just dont know how.

How do I contact her. I am living in the US, Canada is a lot easier to adopt from. I am Canadian as well but a Permanent Resident of the US

I believe one of our VJ regulars, Jomo'sGirl, was in the process of adopting someone from Jamaica - a relative as well. PM her

Can she contact me. I am Canadian and the laws in Canada are different and easier. I am adopting for the child to come to the US and live here. Is she adopting from Canada

Timeline
I believe one of our VJ regulars, Jomo'sGirl, was in the process of adopting someone from Jamaica - a relative as well. PM her

Can she contact me. I am Canadian and the laws in Canada are different and easier. I am adopting for the child to come to the US and live here. Is she adopting from Canada

Ummmmm............that would be me.

I know someone who may be able to help you. I'll have JAEnglish contact you via PM. Hang on.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

I know someone who may be able to help you. I'll have JAEnglish contact you via PM. Hang on.

thank you. I just spoke with Ms. Tummings of the CDA and she has a similar case and is waiting to see how it will play out. Losing hope again. This is such an emotional roller coaster ride.

Timeline

thank you. I just spoke with Ms. Tummings of the CDA and she has a similar case and is waiting to see how it will play out. Losing hope again. This is such an emotional roller coaster ride.

I PM'd JAEnglish for you. Hopefully, she will get you some more information too.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

• 9 months later...
Filed: Timeline
Hello

Has anyone known of a couple who successfully adopted from Jamaica and would like to share their story with me as I need help with adopting my relative. She is 18 months old and her father is not in her life and her mother can't care for her. We have already submited our I600A and done the home study. The parents have already met with CDA in Jamaica and signed over their rights to the child. I have been told however that the fact her father's name is on the birth certificate and she is not in an orphanage, that she will not be approved. She is living with her auntie as neither of us would want to put her in a children's home in Jamaica. I am Jamaican and my husband is american. If anyone has advise, that would be so much appreciated. We are taking care of her financially and just couldn't bear to know that they might tell us no. Please contact me if you know what I can do.

Thanks

JUST WONDERING IF YOU GOT ANY RESPONSE REGARDING UR QUESTION.....MYSELF AND MY HUSBAND ARE LOOKING INTO DOING THE SAME THING......ANY INFO WILL BE VERY HELPFUL.

MEL

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Since the father's identity is known, isn't the adoption going to terminate his parental rights? Even if he is not in the child's life, does Jamaica recognize that he has parental rights that the State is obligated to protect especially when his child will be adopted by people in a foreign country?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.