NickD

Divorce after US Citizenship?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

On the way to the field office yesterday, we went through all 96 questions and answers twice. On the way back, my wife says, let's get a divorce, shocked to hear that, asked her why. Then she replied, than we can have a real wedding and marriage without going through all this immigration stuff.

A lot of truth to that statement, over six years of this stuff with big brother peering into our very private lives ever since my wife and I started get serious. Just about every part of our relationship dealt with the USCIS, making copies of love letters, phone calls, trips, when and if we could get married, copying anything that proves we are together for the USCIS. Wonder if when this is over, if I can do our taxes next year without making an extra copy, paying our property taxes, or just tossing something in from the mailbox in the trashcan without saving it as proof of our relationship for the USCIS?

See my hard disk has 230 MB of immigration data and perhaps over a hundred immigration related bookmarks, can I delete those? Does the USCIS offer a detraining program so we can learn to live together as normal people without them?

Or maybe we should just get divorced and start all over again, but this time without the USCIS. How about you, are you brainwashed too? Should we form a group therapy program? Or just look for something else in the USCIS archives to apply for. The USCIS as become very much apart of our lives, we have to learn to live together without them now.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

oh yeah i'm brainwashed! for 4 years i've been collecting everything that proves that we are honest normal people, crazy in love and who want to be together...but had the bad luck to be from different countries.

proving yourself to be honest gets pretty annoying after a while, too!

we were just talking about how after we are done with USCIS it will feel great to shred all those boxes full of papers in our closet - bank statements, pay stubs from 2003, all that cr_p that we only keep because of uscis.

i'll definitely need to be 'deprogramed' when we'll be done! if anything, this process made me a lot more obsessive-compulsive than i ever used to be. :unsure:

i wish i would've seen your face when she told you to get a divorce after her interview! :rofl:

met online: August, 2002 - yahoo music chat room

met in real life: July, 2004 - Venice, Italy

K1

filed @NSC - Sept. 2004 / approved - Jan. 2005

married: April 2005

AOS

May 2005 - applied for AOS - Chicago

transferred to CSC - approved without interview: October, 2005

REMOVAL of Conditional Status

received on 09/10/2007 @ NSC- transferred to CSC again

check cleared: 09/29/2007

NOA1 in the mail: 10/02/2007 (notice date: 09/10/2007)

biometrics: 11/01/2007

10 year card production ordered: 12/03/2007

approval notice sent: 12/07/2007

10 year card received in the mail: 12/10/2007

Application for NATURALIZATION

sent off to NSC: 07/17/2008

07/19 - delivered at NSC - at 2 AM

07/24 - check cleared

07/28 - received NOA1 (dated 07/21) - expected wait time until interview - 240 days

08/14 - biometrics appointment

10/20 - naturalization interview appointment! - APPROVED!

11/12 - oath ceremony - CHECK!

and we are done with USCIS! yaooohoooo!!!! :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

There only part if you make them part of ur lives! I dont sit and stress and wait for NOA,1, 2, biometrics, oh my god, no touches,lol it happens when it happens. Congrats on ur wife obtaining her citizenship.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline
oh yeah i'm brainwashed! for 4 years i've been collecting everything that proves that we are honest normal people, crazy in love and who want to be together...but had the bad luck to be from different countries.

proving yourself to be honest gets pretty annoying after a while, too!

we were just talking about how after we are done with USCIS it will feel great to shred all those boxes full of papers in our closet - bank statements, pay stubs from 2003, all that cr_p that we only keep because of uscis.

i'll definitely need to be 'deprogramed' when we'll be done! if anything, this process made me a lot more obsessive-compulsive than i ever used to be. :unsure:

i wish i would've seen your face when she told you to get a divorce after her interview! :rofl:

I know what you mean, I think the best part of leaving these procedures behind, is to stop saving every single piece of paper just in case you need it to prove that you love your spouse.

My husband asked me if I was going to divorce him now that I have a passport, but is easier to be Naturalized than to find a good man to be married. Is not going to be that easy to get ride of me.

Nick congratulations to your Wife.

K

Meet 12/2000; Married 01/2004; AOS 01/2005; R-C 07/2007; Citizen 06/2008
In love for 14 years and happily counting...

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Those are some funny statements. True; but funny. No one understands till they go through it. Never will.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
Those are some funny statements. True; but funny. No one understands till they go through it. Never will.

So freaking true...until you've felt like a criminal because you fell in love with a foreigner you will never be able to understand. And for all those people who give you this attitude like you deserve to go through this because your relationship should be completely vetted by USCIS - I want to say F### YOU!!!

Just my two cents. :innocent:

Edited by wifey246

DO: LOS ANGELES

04/24/09 - mailed N400

04/27/09 - N400 received

04/30/09 - NOA1 date

05/04/09 - NOA1 received

05/04/09 - check cashed

05/05/09 - touched

05/13/09 - walk-in biometrics

05/22/09 - biometrics schedule

06/02/09 - interview notice date

06/08/09 - received interview notice

07/30/09 - interview - PASSED :P

08/28/09 - Oath Ceremony

08/29/09 - Passport application

As much as I hated keeping a big drawer of old bills and other stuff, filing joint income tax returns when it was more practical to file separately, and constantly trying to get us both in pictures, I somewhat enjoyed some part of it. I enjoyed looking at our marriage from different perspectives. I was overwhelmed with memories on the day I went through our "INS drawer". I am thankful that we took a lot of pictures.

But I look forward to the day when I can continue to enjoy these things without the pressure - much like enjoying learning new things without the pressure of grades and teachers.  I'll keep a "memento drawer" instead, I'll keep taking hundreds of pictures of my family and every once in a while stop to look at our marriage from a stranger's point of view.

DO: LOS ANGELES

04/24/09 - mailed N400

04/27/09 - N400 received

04/30/09 - NOA1 date

05/04/09 - NOA1 received

05/04/09 - check cashed

05/05/09 - touched

05/13/09 - walk-in biometrics

05/22/09 - biometrics schedule

06/02/09 - interview notice date

06/08/09 - received interview notice

07/30/09 - interview - PASSED :P

08/28/09 - Oath Ceremony

08/29/09 - Passport application

A lot of truth to that statement, over six years of this stuff with big brother peering into our very private lives ever since my wife and I started get serious. Just about every part of our relationship dealt with the USCIS, making copies of love letters, phone calls, trips, when and if we could get married, copying anything that proves we are together for the USCIS.

I felt that same way when I was first gathering stuff for the K1. My husband and I use to keep a book where we would write things to each other (started before either one of us had ever heard of a K1 visa) and I remember going through it trying to pick a page here and a page there but feeling totally conflicted. I wanted to show that my husband (fiance at the time) and I had a legitimate relationship but I also remember feeling like it was none of their business. A few people I expressed this to even responded with 'well what do you expect?'.

I've learned to accept that a certain amount of privacy is lost but it is weird to have a sort of secret hovering 3rd party involved in your relationship and that it can make life easy or hard for you. How many non-international couples have had to sit down and practice dates and times of places they were and where they met, knowing their answers will be used to judge the validity of their relationship?

I knew I wasn't the only one who felt this way but it's nice to see it expressed by someone else. Yeah for validation.

Thanks NickD and congratulations!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.