nina9

Can my husband come to US for a visit while his immigration visa is being processed?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Im new to this site. I just wrote a post with some background info, but accidentally deleted it so maybe Ill share later...

anyway, I am getting married in civil ceremony and applying for my husbands visa via direct consular filing which should take less than 2 months. I have a bridal shower in the U.S. 6 weeks after the marriage date that I would like my then husband to attend. He can only stay 2 weeks because he is a student and he needs to get back for exams. He plans to immigrate following our religious wedding which is almost 5 months later.

Can he get a tourist visa to come for the shower even though his immigration visa will be being processed? How can he improve his chances of getting it (what "proof" should he bring)?

Would getting a tourist visa, then getting married, and then filing his immigration application never work (assuming we apply before he comes to states after we file his immigration application?

I hope this makes sense, and I appreciate your time and consideration!

Im new to this site. I just wrote a post with some background info, but accidentally deleted it so maybe Ill share later...

anyway, I am getting married in civil ceremony and applying for my husbands visa via direct consular filing which should take less than 2 months. I have a bridal shower in the U.S. 6 weeks after the marriage date that I would like my then husband to attend. He can only stay 2 weeks because he is a student and he needs to get back for exams. He plans to immigrate following our religious wedding which is almost 5 months later.

Can he get a tourist visa to come for the shower even though his immigration visa will be being processed? How can he improve his chances of getting it (what "proof" should he bring)?

Would getting a tourist visa, then getting married, and then filing his immigration application never work (assuming we apply before he comes to states after we file his immigration application?

I hope this makes sense, and I appreciate your time and consideration!

It kinda makes sense. Your future husband's chances of getting a tourist visa depends on his country of residence. If he lives in a Western country then his chances are good. If he lives in a poor third world country, his chances are not good. having an immigrant visa application in progess reduces his chances of obtaining a tourist visa. No one except the US consulate in his country can tell you for sure if he will obtain a tourist visa. To improve his chances he must show ties to his country which include employment, housing, family, and money.

The US consulates will tell any visa applicants that they should not make any plans until they have obtained visas. The visa process is fickle and delays often happen.

Thank you!

Hes from Poland. And he visited me once before asking for 2 weeks, and he stayed 2 weeks, again because he had to go back for classes and exams. So I think that also goes in his favor.

I think there is a good chance that he would get the visa. But I am worried, and dont want to risk it. I am considering not filing for his immigration visa until after he gets the tourist visa and returns to Poland after the shower. That means I would go to Poland for 5 days just to do the direct consular filing and then return to the states. Thats obvious a big hassle as well as financialy shitty. BUT I get to see him :) so theres good and bad.

Ideally, though, he would get the tourist visa after we filed for his immigration visa. Its just so annoying that its TRUE he cant stay more than 2 weeks. How to prove it? Do you think documents from his university showing the exam times would be useful? They would show that he has exams he needs to return for. Also, would it be good if his professor wrote a statement saying he needs to return to defend his graduation thesis? Again, thats true too. I am trying to think of what other things would be good to have?

Suggestions?

Edited by nina9

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I think I understand your position and I am confused at how you can file for Direct Consular Filing as it is my belief that this can only be done if you both live outside the US. From what I read you are living in the US and your spouse in Poland.

If you file your visa before trying to visit I would think he would be denied entry to the US on grounds that the visa is immigrant intent.

I hope this info helps.

David (UK) - Melissa (OH)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

According to the DCF guide on this site there are some countries that do allow for DCF filing even if the USC spouse is not a resident of that country. You should make sure your spouses country of residence allows for that before making any plans.

If you get married then file for a visitors visa you are likely to be declined. If you file for an immigrant visa then a tourist visa, again you are running the risk of being declined and causing delays for the IV. On the other hand if you wait to file the immigrant visa then you may not make your deadline. It is important not to make plans as your visa can be delayed for any reason at any time. Read alot on this site. Many people have been waiting for Immigrant visas for one year plus. Ours took 3 months just to pass through USCIS, then another 7 months to get through NVC and another 2 months till the CO interview. Yet others breeze through.

Best of luck on your journey

K3

10-xx-04 I129 sent

05-xx-05 NOA1 from USCIS - Aproved - Abandoned for Cr1

CR1

11-15-04 I-130 sent

12-10-04 NOA 1 fee changed had to resend info with new fee

12-11-04 Resend case with new fee

02-14-05 NOA 2 I-130 Case aproved and sent to NVC

02-25-05 NVC received case

03-21-05 Received I-864 fee bill

03-22-05 Sent $70 I-864 payment to

04-16-05 Received IV fee bill

04-17-05 Sent $ 380 IV payment to NVC

05-02-05 Received I-864 packet from NVC

05-02-05 Sent I-864 packet to NVC

05-11-05 NVC received IV payment

05-16-05 NVC sent third packet

05-25-05 Received DS-230 and third packet instructions

06-06-05 NVCReceived DS-230 per fed ex confirmation

06-07-05 NVC Enters DS-230 information in system

waiting waiting waiting

06-20-05 Case Completed!!!!!!!yipee.

waiting for interview date.............

7-26-05 Baby born!!!! yaya

8-15-05 Interview set for 9-29-05

9-29-05 Interview suck they want more proof

10-20-05 second interview

10-24-05 yaya haleloujhya finally got it.

10-28-05 going to meet husband in New York. yayayaya

10-30-05 Home!!!!

Lifting Conditions

7-28-07 Mailed form I751 and supporting documents. $275 (Old fee!!!!!Yipee!!!)

8-17-07 Check cleared my account.

8-20-07 Touched

8-30-07 Received Biometric apointment letter.

9-11-07 Biometrics Apointment

9-22-07 Received letter of approval

9-24-07 Received GC Whoo hoo done for 10 years!!!

09-20-09 Sent N-400 for Citizenship

11-01-09 Bio

01-11-10 Passed Interview

01-16-10 Received notice for swearing in ceremony

02-03-10 Swearing in ceremony

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
I think I understand your position and I am confused at how you can file for Direct Consular Filing as it is my belief that this can only be done if you both live outside the US. From what I read you are living in the US and your spouse in Poland.

If you file your visa before trying to visit I would think he would be denied entry to the US on grounds that the visa is immigrant intent.

I hope this info helps.

This depends on the individual embassy. In Sweden I could have filed DCF for my husband if I had only had all the paperwork in order to do so before I had to return to the US. We had even considered for me to take another trip to Sweden for this reason, but circumstances prevented that from being a possibility.

I-130

2005-09-23 Sent I-130.

2005-10-05 I-130 NOA1

2006-02-19 *touched*

2006-02-21 RFE

2006-03-09 RFE received by CSC

2006-03-29 I-130 NOA2

2006-03-31 *touched*

2006-04-01 *touched*

2006-04-12 NVC assigned case number

I-129F

2005-11-18 I-129F Sent

2005-11-29 I-129F NOA1

2005-12-27 I-129F RFE :(

2006-01-13 I-129F RFE Reply sent.

2006-01-25 *touched*

2006-01-26 I-129F RFE received

2006-04-04 *touched*

2006-04-04 NOA2 **approved!!!**

2006-04-20 NVC assigned case number

2006-04-21 case forwarded to embassy

2006-04-26 packet 3 received

2006-05-02 packet 3 sent

2006-05-04 packet 4 received

2006-05-15 Interview in Stockholm **APPROVED**

2006-05-23 My sweetie is coming home!!

Thank you both for your replies. I have already checked with the embassy and I can file DCF because I have a residence there. My only issue is whether he can get a B2 visa while waiting for his CR2, as in: is it even possible?

I found this info on this site, but it pertains to waiting for a fiance visa:

4.6)...Can my fiance(e) come to the US to visit me once the visa process is started?

This may actually be the most common question in the newsgroup, asked on a near daily basis. (SORRY!)

A..(newsgroup)..I wrote to the Embassy in London and I was given this reply: "If you wish to make a temporary visit to the US while your application for a Fiance(e) visa is being processed, you will require a visitor's visa (B-1/B-2) or, if you meet the conditions, travel visa-free. However, all travelers to the US are subject to inspection at the port of entry by an immigration officer who has the right to deny admissions. As the beneficiary of an approved Fiance(e) visa (petition) you may have difficulty convincing the officer that you are not an intending immigrant."

A.. If the fiance(e)..."Has a residence in a foreign country which the alien does not intend to abandon", and if the fiance(e) is "An alien coming to meet the alien's fiance(e)'s family (to become engaged; to make arrangements for a wedding; or to renew a relationship with the prospective spouse)", then they can enter the US on a B2 visa. (Quotes from the USCIS (INS) Inspectors Field Manual). This does not specifically address an alien with a "K1 visa application pending". Proving an intention to return home might mean showing...

Current enrollment in school

Employment in the home country

Strong family ties to the home country

This question does not have a good answer. Many people visit the US during the Process, but some newsgroupers have reported that once the initial background check is done by the Consulate, subsequent visits to the US required an additional FBI check done by the Consulate, which resulted in a delay in the visa application process.

Me again: He has a reason to come for only 2 weeks - the bridal shower. He has already visited, asking for 2 weeks, and staying for 2 weeks only. He has proof of enrollment in university, as well as exam schedules showing he needs to return. Also, we are getting married in a religious ceremony at a later date in his country, so he needs to return for that as well. I can show the consulate invitations to the wedding and to the shower. SO, if it is possible to get a B2 visa while waiting for a CR2, I think we can prove that his intention is only to visit, see me and his inlaws, and go back and finish his exams.

Sassasdave, does that convince you?

Hi, I keep posting in reply to my own question, but anyway. I found the following info on the US embassy website for UK:

Can I travel to the United States while my application for an immigrant or fiancé(e) visa is being processed?

If you intend taking up permanent residence in the U.S., you are required to wait until the immigrant or fiancé(e) visa is issued. You cannot reside in the U.S. on a tourist visa or visa free under the Visa Waiver Program while waiting the issuance of an immigrant or fiancé (e) visa. However, if you wish to make a temporary visit at the end of which you will return to your permanent residence outside the United States, you may travel on a tourist (B-2) visa, or visa free under the Visa Waiver Program, if qualified.

If applying for a B-2 visa, you are required to furnish evidence of your residence outside the United States to which you intend returning at the end of your temporary stay. Although a pending immigrant or fiancé(e) visa application is not necessarily conclusive evidence of intent to abandon a U.K. residence, it is a factor considered by consular officers reviewing a visa application. If you are unable to convince the consular officer reviewing the application that you do not intend abandoning your residence, you will not be issued a visa.

When traveling to the U.S. either with a visa or visa free under the Visa Waiver Program, you should be sure to carry with you for presentation to an immigration inspector evidence of your residence outside the U.S. If the immigration inspector is not convinced that you are a bona fide visitor for pleasure, you will be denied entry into the United States.

ME: so now Im worried about the point of entry. Last time the officer just asked purpose of visit, then said oh youre a student and let him through. My husband would just say hes visiting family friends like last time, so hes not lying and theres no problem- unless of course he was randomly asked if he was married or something like that. This is so complicated. ######.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Read this thread... it may give you a little better idea of what goes on

http://www.visajourney.com/forums2/index.php?showtopic=58200

Watch out what he says... If one is caught making a material misrepresentation to a CBP officer while attempting to enter the US, they could face a permanent bar on entering the US. A material misrepresentation is misrepresenting one's self such that if the truth were stated, it would have changed an officers position on whether or not that individual was eligible to enter the US. In my opinion stating that one is visiting "family friends" when one is visiting a fiancee may be considered a material misrepresentation and would probably be considered a material misrepresentation if one is visiting their spouse.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Nooooooooooooooo. One of the questions on the application for B2 visa is, does your fiancee live in the U.S. or have U.S. citizenship.... So, if he puts no... I guess that might end up being a bad thing when we get married, and apply for his immigration visa. But if he puts yes, he may not get the visa.

Well, whatever. We can still be just dating... right?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi Nina,

I was advised by my attorney that once paperwork is on file, there is a very good possibility of a P.O. E denial, which would be awful...

I had the same Q, as getting the time off from work to visit my husband in the UK is limited, and his work allows him more flexibility...

It sucks, but keep in mind all of this is temporary and the end of the road brings a great reward...

-Rose

"I have spread my dreams under your feet

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"

-Yeats

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

EVERY situation is different. Since I can only go by my own experience, it is not to say that yours and your husbands will go the same. There have been posts on this forum with negative experiences regarding this issue.

But I am writing to let you know it is possible to get a B2 visa while you have immigration papers on file. My wife was able to get one, and she has visited me once during the process (she stayed for a month) and had no problems.

We were both very nervous about what would happen when she arrived to the POE , but it went well and she had no issues.

However, it is a challenge to convince the embassies...consulates etc.....of your true intentions and trustworthiness. The others are right in that issuing a B2 visa is NOT the norm for people who have immigration papers pending, and they will be skeptical when your husband applies.

My feelings on this whole issue is that is is totally ridiculous, not to mention a huge burden on married couples when the US makes it so difficult just for 2 people who love each other to visit.

I have always felt that if 2 people have taken the time to apply, pay the hundreds of dollars in costs, send in many documents etc.....then these are NOT the people most likely to remain in the US illegally. The illegal immigration and the people they should be worried about are those people who NEVER file papers, and just try to sneak across the border.

I think deep down , the people who work for the government realize this...but...by now..they just have an ingrained sense of distrust regarding immigrants, because unfortunately, I am sure there have been people who received B2 visas who abused that process and trust...and remained in the US. It makes it tougher on the ones who truly just want to visit, and are abiding by the US laws.

Anyways...

I just wanted to let you know what you are asking is possible.

April 16, 2004 Married in Saint Augustine, Florida.

March 7, 2005 Wife left for Istanbul to serve J-1 2 year HRR. Was a very bad day at Black Rock.

May 23, 2006 USCIS receives application for I-130

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Sept 7, 2006 Noa2 I-130 approved

Oct 10 ,2006 Received fee bill from NVC

Nov 13 ,2006 Received Packet 2 DS-230

Jan 4, 2007 Mailed Packet 2 to NVC

Jan 22, 2007 RFE from NVC aaarrrrgggghhh!!!!!!!!

Feb 28, 2007 NVC received "checklist" response and original documents for the RFE

March 13, 2007 Case completed at NVC! Whoooohoooo!! Ankara, here we come!!!!

March 15, 2007 Case fowarded to Ankara Embassy

April 4, 2007 Interview. Wife gets handed the little green paper. Not good. Need to submit a few more things.

April 9, 2007 Items mailed back to Embassy. Crossing fingers, rubbing the "rabbit's foot", etc,..that this may FINALLY be the end.

April 14, 2007 Visa delivered! Wife is finally going to be on her way back home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 20, 2007 Wife enters through JFK. The days of grabbing my dinners at the WalMart deli....are now officially over!!!

Stay tuned to this channel for further updates..........

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.