bigley

Delays at Vermont Service Center

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi I am brand new to the site and wish I had joined earlier or at least knew about the site. I filed my I129F and Vermont received it Sept. 7, 2007. Did not hear anything from them till the day after I called about why my petition was past their timetable of 6 months or so. Then I got a notice email that said they were requesting more information. I guess my lawyer failed to submit the proper divorce papers for my fiance. Got them back the info they requested and they sent an email back to me on April 23, 2008 that they received the information. I guess my question is is it normal to wait more than 7 months to just get approval of the application. Also is it because my fiance has two children one 10 and the other turned 16 during this process (he was 15 when we originally applied). or is it just because I (we) have bad luck. Also any suggestions on how to at least speed up the process. Both me and my future wife are starting to get extremely p***ed off, especially after looking aat the timelines on this website which seem a looooooooottttttttttttt quicker than our timeline. I would appreciate any help or comments.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The service centers' timetables change from time to time, so 7 months can be standard in some cases. But I wonder when your lawyer received the RFE and you didn't know about it. Having a third person handling everything can delay this process even further.

And how can you speed up the process? I would've suggested not hiring a lawyer for one if you had a straight forward case. Now all you can do is be on your lawyer's case just in case anything happens and be patient.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Hi I am brand new to the site and wish I had joined earlier or at least knew about the site. I filed my I129F and Vermont received it Sept. 7, 2007. Did not hear anything from them till the day after I called about why my petition was past their timetable of 6 months or so. Then I got a notice email that said they were requesting more information. I guess my lawyer failed to submit the proper divorce papers for my fiance. Got them back the info they requested and they sent an email back to me on April 23, 2008 that they received the information. I guess my question is is it normal to wait more than 7 months to just get approval of the application. Also is it because my fiance has two children one 10 and the other turned 16 during this process (he was 15 when we originally applied). or is it just because I (we) have bad luck. Also any suggestions on how to at least speed up the process. Both me and my future wife are starting to get extremely p***ed off, especially after looking aat the timelines on this website which seem a looooooooottttttttttttt quicker than our timeline. I would appreciate any help or comments.

Hey Bigley,

I'm sorry you guys have already been waiting so long.

It seems that so many folks that filed last summer have been waiting for ages, and that just blows.

I'm surprised however that the same also goes for K-1 applicants, I thought that was going faster.

At least with all these months passed, your approval is real close now. The request for an RFE proves that an adjudicator has at least started processing your case (although the RFE sucks in itself).

I would indeed have a word with your lawyer, if this RFE was caused by something they forgot.

Once you get that NOA2, things should be going faster finally. Maybe you can already start preparing for the Consulate/Embassy phase, so that you can send off the documents to the Consulate/Embassy immediately when you receive them. Check out the guides and also the forum, maybe there is a thread about your Consulate.

Good luck and let us know how things go!

Website US Department of State, Consular Affairs Bureau: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1339.html

I think it is reasonable to have thought your case would have been finished by now.

From other cases I have seen, is seems that involving a third party (the lawyer) usually adds to the time it takes, especially if there is an RFE involved. It sweems quite common for a lawyer to receive the RFE in their office, then take a while to notify you of it. Then, it takes additional time for you to get the papers to the lawyer, and for them to mail it back out.

I'm guessing the RFE is what threw off your timeline. The adjudicator probably put your case off to one side to be dealt with later. And didn't get back to it for some time. But then, you never really know.

The good news is that once you hve an RFE, they are supposed to make the decision within 60 days. I'd call the service center phone number given on the blue RFE paper as ask what the status of your case is.

12-18-06 Began investigating K1 process<3

--------------------

01-10-08 K-1 PETITION SUBMITTED

07-18-08 INTERVIEW... APPROVED!!! (190 long days)

09-02-08 MARRIED <3

--------------------

04-07-09 AOS APPROVED (196 days)

--------------------

07-21-11 ROC APPROVED

--------------------

09-13-13 N-400 NATURALIZATION PETITION FINALLY SUBMITTED

10-23-13 IN LINE FOR INTERVIEW

01-11-14 RECEIVED INTERVIEW LETTER

02-10-14 INTERVIEW DATE & OATH DONE... US CITIZEN!!!

Filed: Timeline

Hi Bigley,

No seven months for the VSC is WAY too long. We had to file through the "dreaded" CSC and ours was approved in four months. My question to you is why did you WAIT for seven months without taking action or asking questions of either your lawyer or vsc? When our case got to be into the third month of waiting I was on my lawyers case hounding him with questions, etc.

Also, if your lawyer got an RFE and didn't inform you I would demand my money back. Does your lawyer have a 100% refund policy for not doing his job correctly or for failing to get the visa for you guys?

That's ridiculous on his part, but also I must say it's a bit odd that you allowed it to get into seven months without asking why it's taking so long. Nothing you can do to speed up the process if you got an RFE but to send in the requested additional evidence.

I'm sorry to hear that, that is horrible, and your lawyer needs a big beatdown.

Good luck

Timeline

Hi Bigley,

No seven months for the VSC is WAY too long. We had to file through the "dreaded" CSC and ours was approved in four months. My question to you is why did you WAIT for seven months without taking action or asking questions of either your lawyer or vsc? When our case got to be into the third month of waiting I was on my lawyers case hounding him with questions, etc.

Also, if your lawyer got an RFE and didn't inform you I would demand my money back. Does your lawyer have a 100% refund policy for not doing his job correctly or for failing to get the visa for you guys?

That's ridiculous on his part, but also I must say it's a bit odd that you allowed it to get into seven months without asking why it's taking so long. Nothing you can do to speed up the process if you got an RFE but to send in the requested additional evidence.

I'm sorry to hear that, that is horrible, and your lawyer needs a big beatdown.

Good luck

7 months for Vermont is an atrocity. We were approved after 3 months of filing at VSC (Sorry, that doesn't help, I know) :(

I think it's the combination of having a third party person and the RFE that's holding up your petition.

All the information would have come straight to you but instead, went to your lawyer who obviously dropped the ball on a few things in your case.

There could be other unforeseen things that are also delaying your petition, I doubt the children have anything to do with it though.

I hope you get it all sorted out and receive your NOA2 very soon so you can move on to the next step!

Best of luck. (F)

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

OMG! i am so glad someone put a post like this! YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! lol i ran into the same problem. i filed my I-129F in June of 2007 and they went past my 6 months. i called them and they filled out a request form thing for wuts goin on with my case. i receive in the mail also like u did a request of evidence for one stupid yes or no question. on march 5 they said they received my response back (checked the box and signed and mailed it out the same day i got it) they said that i should hear something in 60 days. well 60 days is going to be May 5 and i still have no heard from them. its not that you have bad luck the vermont service center just sucks lol i cant tell u how to speed up the process cuz if i knew i'd be doing that myself. i guess we just gotta keep at USCIS for information. you will have to wait at least 60 days from April 23 :( i know it sucks, but just try to hang in there and no that you are not the only one with this problem. my fiance does not have any children though so that part im not sure about at all. good luck to you!

DkICm5.png

399Um5.png

Timeline

OMG! i am so glad someone put a post like this! YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! lol i ran into the same problem. i filed my I-129F in June of 2007 and they went past my 6 months. i called them and they filled out a request form thing for wuts goin on with my case. i receive in the mail also like u did a request of evidence for one stupid yes or no question. on march 5 they said they received my response back (checked the box and signed and mailed it out the same day i got it) they said that i should hear something in 60 days. well 60 days is going to be May 5 and i still have no heard from them. its not that you have bad luck the vermont service center just sucks lol i cant tell u how to speed up the process cuz if i knew i'd be doing that myself. i guess we just gotta keep at USCIS for information. you will have to wait at least 60 days from April 23 :( i know it sucks, but just try to hang in there and no that you are not the only one with this problem. my fiance does not have any children though so that part im not sure about at all. good luck to you!

Timeline

Timeline

I sure hope you are wrong on the 60 days. I think I will call USCIS today and see if they will tell me anything.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

It's important to note that there were some 'straggler's left after the influx of petitions/fee hikes last year. It was pretty common for those who filed just before you, even at VSC, to be held up so long.

7 months is just awful. It has nothing to do with your fiance's children. ;) Unfortunately, much of this actually has to do with your lawyer and I would be having a word or two with him/her.

'60 days' is what they say. Once they have the documents they need it rarely takes that long.

Most likely, the USCIS is not going to do anything with regards to your case. You couldcontact your Congressperson . They have specific departments that deal with these matters and once requested the uscis has a very short period of time to respond. Not sure what they could do as you were issued an RFE but if it takes too much longer you could give that a try.

good luck and welcome to vj... allbeit late ;)

timeline.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I sure hope you are wrong on the 60 days. I think I will call USCIS today and see if they will tell me anything.

you can try to call them, but when i called they pretty much said there was nothing they could do and didnt give any answers so idk how well it will work for u to call :/

DkICm5.png

399Um5.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.