william_wallace

Letter of how we met

8 posts in this topic

My fiance is getting ready to type up a letter of how we met. Has anyone got any tips on how this letter should look? We first met in a Scotland chatroom April 2006. Our first meeting in person was July 2006 in Toronto for 2 weeks, then again in Toronto end of August for 5 days. She has also made 2 visits to the UK. She isnt sure if this letter has to be detailed or just a brief one.

Thanks

beach_1_001.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

No letter of how you met is required... just put the facts... short, sweet and accurate is all that is required.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If this is for question #18 of the I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiance(e), I believe that the bulk of the letter should be detailing any visits that you have had within the past 2 years. It's been recommended that you keep this to a maximum of 1 page, typed, single-spaced.

The letter is only meant to establish that you have physically met within the last 2 years.

That's not to say you don't want to write about how you first met, but I think at least half, if not more, should be dedicated to recent trips. You'll want to enclose any proof you have of those trips as well (passport stamps, boarding passes, receipts, pictures, etc).

Keep in mind that any information you put in your letter may cause USCIS to request evidence that it had occured. So if you have NO record of a trip, you may want to reconsider listing it. (Usually, tho, people keep their old passports and the entry/exit stamp should still be in it.) Not having evidence for something you've stated happened may cause delays and, at worst case, a denial of your visa.

In your I-129F packet, you'll want to include some evidence of an ongoing relationship (I sent 2 emails, 2 letters, and about 10 pictures), but you don't need to go overboard.

I've had the impression that the initial approval of the I-129F with USCIS is to prove that you've met within 2 years. After your visa application has been sent to the embassy, they seem more interested in establishing that the relationship is real and therefore they are more interested in the evidence of an ongoing relationship.

Edited by LuckyDucky

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
No letter of how you met is required... just put the facts... short, sweet and accurate is all that is required.
Yep, what I wrote fit nicely in the box provided on form I-129F.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Yep, what I wrote fit nicely in the box provided on form I-129F.

we also did not attach a separate letter. we just stated when and where we met.. and the dates of his trips.

it really depends on you. some people do attach a separate sheet for this. but i suggest you just include the necessary info. the uscis just wants to know if you really met within the last 2 years.

goodluck ;)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
My fiance is getting ready to type up a letter of how we met. Has anyone got any tips on how this letter should look? We first met in a Scotland chatroom April 2006. Our first meeting in person was July 2006 in Toronto for 2 weeks, then again in Toronto end of August for 5 days. She has also made 2 visits to the UK. She isnt sure if this letter has to be detailed or just a brief one.

Thanks

What you need to write is nicely encapsulated in your original post. List when/how you first met, when you first met in person (if it is different from when/how you first met), any subsequent meetings in person (which you should then back up with original evidence) and when you decided to get married.

I think our statement was 5 or 6 sentences long, and we were approved just fine. I have seen RFE's asking for more information for this particular question, so I personally wouldn't be too brief, but a Harlequin romance novel is not necessary either. ;)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Thanks

Hi William,

Me & my BF have filed for the same Fiance Visa. We wrote a small paragraph about the details of how we met. The letter is only meant to establish that you have physically met within the last 2 years.We wrote what ever could fit in to the given box. But to add to the benefit, you can attach 2-3 mails , a few pictures, chat details if any. Just to support your documents & saving time of them asking you the proof of your meeting.

Just be sure to provide the necessary info. That's all.

Wish you all the Best.

Regards,

Amrit

****ROC****

GC-Date: Nov 25th 2011The 'Resident Since' Date located on your first green card

Sent: Nov 11th 2014 N-400 was mailed to USCIS
Packet Delivered: Nov 27 2014
ChkCashd: Dec 2nd 2014
NOA: Dec 8th 2014
Fprints: Jan 7th 2015
In Line: Jan 9th 2015
Int Ltr: Jan 19th 2015
Intview: Feb 26th 2015
Oath: March 19th 2015
Field Office: San Antonio

I answered the question for the I129F but my fiancee also put a letter in our packet about how we met and our visits. He just set it up like the promise to marry letter form and just made the middle part up. I put his letter in with our proof of relationship.

AOS Journey

July 1. .. . . . . sent AOS packet

July 9. . . . . . . .NOA for I485; I131; I765 issued

July 14 . .. .. . . . NOA hardcopies rec'd

July 30 . . . . . . .. .update on CRIS transfer to CSC

Aug. 5. . . . . ... . . .Biometrics appt. in Dallas

Aug. 21. .. . . . . .. . .AOS touched

Aug. 22 . .. . . . . . . . .AOS touched (again--what's happening over there)

Sept. 2 . . . . . . . . . . . AP approved (dated on letter--case was never viewable online)

Sept. 4 . . . . . . . . . . . E-mail from CRIS EAD card production (Hubby is so excited!!!)

Sept. 5 . . . . . . . . . . . Touch on EAD

Sept 6 . . . . . . . . . . . . AP hardcopy surprised us in the mail!

Sept. 11 . . .. . . . . . . . EAD card arrived (the same day that Keeb got a job offer!! woot!!)

Sept. 24. . . . . . . . . . .. CRIS said. .. AOS card production ordered!!!

Sept 28. . .. . . . . . . . . .Welcome Letter rec'd

Sept. 30 . . . . . .. . . . . .GC in mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.